Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Octavia Discussion Thread

c2c6f41a5c5c1e9406d20ce72e6ffe23.jpg

There's is absolutely no reason that Octavia's tentacles aren't bendy. See that above? That's a Cable Croc. There's also a Cable Bot and a Cable Monkey and a Cable Daschund. They are a dollar a piece at Target. They are strong and sturdy, made of a tough, rubbery plastic.

Octavia will have rigid, unarticulated (one point at the body-connections doesn't cut it for me) tentacles. Mattel is either being stupid or cheap, which we're all used to.

I'll be attempting to modify my Octavia using a few of these Cable Crocs. This is the most expensive toy line I've ever collected and yet I've had to do the most physical work to make the figures "proper." My Shadow Weaver's stand snapped right in half the other day, without handling. The stand snapped and she went tumbling.

Have any pictures of the actual connections for Octavia's tentacles shown up?

The crotch definitely needs work. Marlena set the standard with her beautiful crotch, so what's the problem?
    Six-letter word, begins with an "M" and ends with "attel".

We've known for a while now that the tentacles weren't going to be what we were all hoping for, but for the crotch now to be pointy?

Yeesh.

At least the tentacles have ball joints. Clearly, from the video, they'll be pretty fragile, but...better than nothing? I guess?

Keep us posted on your modifications, guardian monkey!

Queen Marlenas (Cpt. Glenns to be procise) crotch is pointy as well but it was a different crotch piece back than.

And i donīt think it will be that noticeable once we have her in hand.

I do have a little concern, iīm glad we get those balljoints and the tentacles are really long and i think they are sculpted very well shaped but with her long hair iīm not sure how useful those ball joints will be in the end

EDIT: Looking at these pictures it seems there is a difference. And the .org member Euroko is right this looks weird and awkward.
    Last edited by Niki; February 20, 2013 at 11:50am.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Its a problem of understanding issues.

Its not a problem with BENDABLE items (King Hiss snake form is perfect), is about FOAM used in Snout Spout.

I want a bendable Squeeze. My vintage figure still works 30 years after....
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Is anyone else concerned about Octavia looking down? I feared that the tentacles would push her head down...TG said they wouldn't...and they definitely seem to be...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Is anyone else concerned about Octavia looking down? I feared that the tentacles would push her head down...TG said they wouldn't...and they definitely seem to be...
    Then again, it may not be the tentacles. She-Ra 2.0 has the same exact problem with no tentacles.

As far as the bendy parts go, it is simply a matter of cost. Mattel no longer uses the quality of materials they did back when Snakey Skelly was made in the 2002 line. TG made a passing reference to Clayface from the DCSH line, which was a mass retail line, and there are problems with the material they used there. THere are materials you can use to make the tentacles bendy that will last for a long time. But quality materials cost money, and Mattel cuts corners on virtually everything it makes nowadays. The initial releases of their Monster High dolls were plagued by broken joints and cheap elastic bands that broke within a day of the child getting them. It's not just that MOTUC is a small line that doesn't warrant top grade materials; this approach to toy making is standard operating procedure for the company as whole.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'm trying to find the page where that Toyark shot of Octavia is (to see if there are any others), but I CANNOT find that gallery! Can someone post a direct link - I'm tired of searching...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I'm trying to find the page where that Toyark shot of Octavia is (to see if there are any others), but I CANNOT find that gallery! Can someone post a direct link - I'm tired of searching...
    Itīs in the official NYTF 2013 but to make it easier for you, here is the link to this thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...013-Discussion
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Ahhhhhh - thank you Niki! I was googling and googling and getting nowhere

Fix Octavia

Am I the only one worried about Octavia's bottom part of tunic. It looks like a pointy version of Adora's granny underwear. Scott can this be fixed before she is released.

green.jpggreen2.jpg

It looks very odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else concerned about this????

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Am I the only one worried about Octavia's bottom part of tunic. It looks like a pointy version of Adora's granny underwear. Scott can this be fixed before she is released.

green.jpggreen2.jpg

It looks very odd.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else concerned about this????
    I wouldnīt call it the Adora granny pants issue i call it the Tallstar to long crotch piece AGAIN! But this time it seems to me that they also lengthened the torso and at her hips the leotard sticks out were it shouldnīt and it is to pointy, i have to admit.

Who ever is in charge at MATTEL doesnīt seem to know how a womans body really work. The FOUR HORSEMENīs prototypes are spot on but the finished figure is still not working...

and for COMPARISON TIME the prototypes :

Last edited by Niki; February 20, 2013 at 08:25am.

You are not the only one...it looks very odd. Can't believe whats Rubens Team is doin there!?
    They ruined the figure with this terrible pants...

Yes, please fix it. They just can't get the girls right.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior
    I recon all the guys working there grew up in the 80s and really like the ' high pants' look and think there ' fixing ' the motuc girls

Has Toyguru responded to this problem on the Matty forums??? God I don't want to be stuck with another female figure that has weird crotch syndrome. There has to be enough time where they can fix/adjust this. Man I hope Shakoti doesn't suffer the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Has Toyguru responded to this problem on the Matty forums??? God I don't want to be stuck with another female figure that has weird crotch syndrome. There has to be enough time where they can fix/adjust this. Man I hope Shakoti doesn't suffer the same fate.
    After i looked at all the pictures of Octavia i had the same thought and addressed the concern at the Shokoti Thread but no one responded, so i guess the other members arenīt concerned...

When I saw Octavia at the opening night of toypocalypse last weekend I didn't even notice the pointy crotch piece, i thought she looked phemominal. In addition scott gave me and my friend a full demo of the articulation of the tentacles and I am more than happy with how they turned out without them being bendy. Fact is, I would rather have non bendy and last then them screw around with it being bendy and having the paint chip easily (like on netossas net/hiss's snake arms) , or the metal wire break or tear thru the rubber or them use foam and that tear (snout spout). It's just a safer route for them to take and I'd rather have that. Quite honestly the lack of flocking of panthor as a design choice upsets me more, but I too, get why that was done. Stinkors arms however I do not get, and that upsets me the most. Just think of her tentacles to being similar to dreagomans wings or the insect legs, they have the same articulation, and quite honestly i never saw anyone say "dreagomans wings should be bendy" one final thing. and I will need a better look is that each tentacle, is that i heard each one was uniquely sculpted, so you can also place them how you see fit.
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

We should ask this at the matty forum...it is a big issue and they should change it before she goes into produktion for june...

I just went there and saw Matty member Mamoru already asked and even put a picture there.

I honestly shy away from official questions since iīm not a native speaker and my english sounds...well not english sometimes...

So, thank you Mamoru for doing that.

I think itīs to late and my guess is just like Adora Scott-TOYGURU-Neitlich will say he likes it and thatīs how she should look and in his defence Adoras prototype had the same cut pants as the final figure has but he canīt ignore the big difference on Octavia. Those two crotch pieces donīt look any alike and the prototype simply looks better and more as it should be since it should look like a leotard and not like a tunic or a skirt.

But at least itīs out there and hopefully one day(soon) the leotards will finally look like leotards and not like spacey late 80-ties high waist hybrid diaper granny pants anymore.
    Last edited by Niki; February 21, 2013 at 07:41am.

Yeah Mamoru, thats me
    I hope he will answer my question...after so many years the same problem
    Why not leaving it how the 4 Horsemen sculped it
    But I think it is to late...makes me sad...Octavia is so beautiful and maybe the only figure we get from her...but this pants ruined her look...
    My english isn't also perfect but hope you understand it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    Yeah Mamoru, thats me
    But I think it is to late...makes me sad...Octavia is so beautiful and maybe the only figure we get from her...but this pants ruined her look...
    So that was quick, he answered my question but he misunderstood...
    But he said she is final... so maybe I must cut her skirt or glue it between her legs at her crotch to make it shorter...

Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    Yeah Mamoru, thats me

So that was quick, he answered my question but he misunderstood...
    But he said she is final... so maybe I must cut her skirt or glue it between her legs at her crotch to make it shorter...
    Wow let me check:

TOYGURU answered:

The version show at NYCC is final and actually features an all new crotch piece developed specially after fan feedback from the Sorceress and Star Sisters. This will be the new standard female crotch piece going forward replacing the one we developed for Sorceress.
    PLEASE NO !?!?!

I hope he meant just the articulation underneath since most of the females have different belt designs so they have to make them individual and they need to stick closer to the FOUR HORSEMEN shaped leotard pieces!

When I saw Octavia at the opening night of toypocalypse last weekend I didn't even notice the pointy crotch piece, i thought she looked phemominal. In addition scott gave me and my friend a full demo of the articulation of the tentacles and I am more than happy with how they turned out without them being bendy.
    Well, I feel pretty strongly that bendy tentacles that don't break are possible (depends on what materials you use!) but it's encouraging to hear you were impressed by the figure and Scott's demo. From what we've seen on the ToyFair walkthrough, I can't tell just how many options there are: I still doubt she'll be able to get into any poses from "Treasures of the First Ones", but I'll wait for Pixel Dan's video review....

Maybe if they'd made a point of posing her tentacles differently throughout the Toy Fair, I'd believe we have options.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Octavia with that awful pointy crotch seems to have another tentacle in her intimate parts.

Wow, so we now have pointy elongated crotch pieces to look forward to for every female that wears a leotard!!! Why??? I don't see how anyone can see how weird this makes her figure look.

I guess I thought it was supposed to be a pointy-shaped skirt, so I never even gave a second thought to this current "crotch issue". As long as her legs are secured to the crotch piece inside the skirt area, and not showing below it (like the Star Sisters), I am happy.