Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 689

Thread: MOTUC Octavia Discussion Thread

  1. #201
    scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Skeletor's back
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I see what you're saying, and I'm not one to say "You must not change a thing!" but in my head I'm so used to them being a different shade it just seems right. And even though it might make more sense for them to be the same color, I like the way this breaks up the figure color-wise and gives it some variety, personally.
    It just felt a bit off to me, but in the end it's a minor nitpick and I'm already warming up to it. So it certainly won't prevent me from enjoying this figure.
    I'm VERY happy we're getting her - number 3 on my Filmation wish list (right after SW and Scorpia)
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

  2. #202
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,785
    figure was done very well.
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

  3. #203
    Searchin' My Soul DisneyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,055
    Her tentacles are a different color on the show, and I'm happy to see they noticed. I can also see why some might feel as though this makes them look less like a part of her body, but different parts of OUR bodies are different shades, right?

    She doesn't have the granny panties!
    No she doesn't Makes me very happy. Now they should just rerelease Adora!
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; September 25, 2012 at 01:42pm.

  4. #204
    Heroic Warrior Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    141
    AWESOME!!! Reveal on Octavia!!!

    Thank you all supporters of Octavia 5000!
    Thank You for your support ....OCTAVIA 5000! Success rate 100% WooHooo!

  5. #205
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,785
    Its great that she will come with so many weapons. It cool that a horde cross bow was made special just for her. very cool 4h.
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

  6. #206
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,326
    Couple of pics of mine...



    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  7. #207
    Snappy Threader
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,478
    KUZEH that close-up pic is wickedly awesome! Who would have thought that Octupus ladies wore lipstick?!?!?

  8. #208
    Heroic Warrior eurorko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,660
    Her face reminds me of Grace Jones from back in the 80's. This is kind of the face sculpt that I would have wanted for Huntara.

  9. #209
    Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Springfield, IL
    Posts
    4,879
    Forgive me if this was already mentioned. ToyGuru told me that Octavia has a new female pelvis piece. All females after her will use that piece. He says it should correct the problem figures like the Star Sisters had where their pelvic pieces looked too long and the joints showed.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

  10. #210
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Forgive me if this was already mentioned. ToyGuru told me that Octavia has a new female pelvis piece. All females after her will use that piece. He says it should correct the problem figures like the Star Sisters had where their pelvic pieces looked too long and the joints showed.
    Very cool. First time I'm hearing it.

  11. #211
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,778
    Great pics!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Forgive me if this was already mentioned. ToyGuru told me that Octavia has a new female pelvis piece. All females after her will use that piece. He says it should correct the problem figures like the Star Sisters had where their pelvic pieces looked too long and the joints showed.
    That's very good news! I am SO happy that Mattel really listened to the pelvis problem. The pelvis they made for Bubble Power She-Ra worked for the old 1.0 style legs, but not for the Battleground Teela style legs (and others that do not have thigh articulation, like Tallstar). The legs hung too low on that pelvis.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  12. #212
    Searchin' My Soul DisneyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,055
    Happy to hear the crotches have been dealt with.

    Now, say it with me - BENDY! BENDY! BENDY! Want those bendy tentacles!

  13. #213
    Snappy Threader
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,478
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Her face reminds me of Grace Jones from back in the 80's. This is kind of the face sculpt that I would have wanted for Huntara.
    I knew she looked familiar..........

  14. #214
    Yuengling danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Her face reminds me of Grace Jones from back in the 80's. This is kind of the face sculpt that I would have wanted for Huntara.
    She looks more like Angelina Jolie to me. Grace Jones' face for Huntara would be awesome though.
    Danielsan

    Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

    https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

  15. #215
    Human Mutant Power! carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    9,425
    i like her.. she looks fantastic
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

    Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

  16. #216
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,200
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Happy to hear the crotches have been dealt with.

    Now, say it with me - BENDY! BENDY! BENDY! Want those bendy tentacles!
    That is a chorus I cannot join. Though bendy parts that do not start disintegrating after a few months have been a mainstay of action figures since the sixties (hello, Major Matt Mason), there is no reason whatsoever to believe that Mattel will not resort to some cheap material here that will follow the tradition of Snout Spout and fall apart within the year.

    NO bendy parts if Mattel is making the figure. I want an Octavia that will last at least a couple of years without dissolving into a primordial ooze...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  17. #217
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Forgive me if this was already mentioned. ToyGuru told me that Octavia has a new female pelvis piece. All females after her will use that piece. He says it should correct the problem figures like the Star Sisters had where their pelvic pieces looked too long and the joints showed.
    No more dumpy crotch? EXCELLENT

    And I too, want bendy tentacles. I'll risk them breaking. The posing options are infinite with the bendies!
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  18. #218
    Heroic Warrior eurorko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,660
    Sorry, no bendies for me. I don't want a repeat of Snout Spout.

  19. #219
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    626
    Forgive me for being uniformed, but what other bendy parts, besides Snout Spouts nose, fell apart? King Hsss's snakes have held up fine and many other toys made by Mattel and other companies that use bendy parts have been fine.

    Snout Spout's nose was made by a new material and I'm sure Scott said they would not be using that material on any figure again....So why does everyone talk like this has been an on-going issue that has affected multiple characters with bendy parts? If they made her tentacles out of the same material as King Hsss's snakes there is no reason to believe they will break like Snout Spout's nose...

    I think the negativity and cynicism that people continue to spout has had as much of a negative effect on this line as the problems themselves. I wonder how many people have come across a forum like this, read peoples continued complaints and remarks about issues that happened months or years ago with no repeat since and have been turned off. I can see the concern of reversed parts (and Mattel is showing signs that they are very concerned about this as well) and the concern over the black plastic issue because it has been on-going, but Scott has also said that is being looked into and they plan on making changes so the figures do not continue to have this problem.

    It is also sad that Mattel is cautious about exploring options that could make these figures even cooler because they are concerned about any problems. Bendy tentacles should be a given, but ever since Snout Spout they are afraid to do anything that might have a QC issue. Bendy parts have been used for decades, they should not be concerned about using a tried and true method...but they are...and that's too bad.

  20. #220
    Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Subternia
    Posts
    2,435
    I am really digging Octavia! She is one one the few select figures from POP that I was really hoping for. I think they did a great job with her, but then again of course they would, they are the Four Horsemen.

  21. #221
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I think the negativity and cynicism that people continue to spout has had as much of a negative effect on this line as the problems themselves.
    Blaming customers for reacting to continued errors in production instead of the production issues...interesting.

    I think you'll find people are fed up with error after error - and yes, is it sad we ask for LESS features because we are afraid they will muck it up? Yes, terribly sad - but we have been proven right time and time again. "Fans" asked about/showed concern about Snout Spout long before he was in our hands and before the defective manufacturing was discovered. We tend to be able to spot issues before they do - so when this many people are saying "let's not take a chance with bendy" - it's for good reason. Experience, vs. pessimism.

    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Her face reminds me of Grace Jones from back in the 80's. This is kind of the face sculpt that I would have wanted for Huntara.
    Haha, thank you - it was driving me nuts but I thought she looked familiar.

  22. #222
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Blaming customers for reacting to continued errors in production instead of the production issues...interesting.

    I think you'll find people are fed up with error after error - and yes, is it sad we ask for LESS features because we are afraid they will muck it up? Yes, terribly sad - but we have been proven right time and time again. "Fans" asked about/showed concern about Snout Spout long before he was in our hands and before the defective manufacturing was discovered. We tend to be able to spot issues before they do - so when this many people are saying "let's not take a chance with bendy" - it's for good reason. Experience, vs. pessimism.
    Twisting my words and the meaning of what I said...interesting.

    I did not blame customers reactions to continued production errors instead of the production issue, I said "as much of" a negative effect which means I believe they both contribute equally.

    I also wasn't talking about continued production errors, i was talking about production errors that have been one off situations (Snout Spouts nose). I actually agree that there should be continued complaint regarding on-going issues like the black plastic (which I think was a horrible idea and they need to stop doing it as quickly as possible and they need to make a statement to ensure us that X figure will be the last one with black plastic painted over), and reversed parts, however I know they are aware of this and are trying to correct it. We have not seen reversed shoulders since King Hsss...however, the factory worker seem to not care enough to not reverse other parts. I think the fact that Mattel is offering a free gift to subscribers and announcing Frosta's reversed forarms prior to her sale so that non-subscribers can make a choice to purchase her or not is a very good move in the positive. They are not going to want to do this for every figure and I'm sure will let the factory know who upset they are with their mistake.

    What I was commenting on was people continuing to bring up a one off problem that has not occurred again and has evidence to the contrary that it will happen again. Scott said they will not use that material again. So, if they did make her arms bendy they would not use the same material as Snout Spouts nose, they would most likely use the same as King Hsss's snake arms. People continuing to bring up the breaking snout issue and applying it to everything that could be bendable and therefor could break gives a bad impression to people who might be new to the line or might be looking into starting to collect the line. There are a lot of awesome figures in this line and a lot of figures with great quality control, that are well painted and sturdy and just plain awesome. I think Scott and Mattel need credit for what is good and they need to be called out when things are bad, but when a problem has been addressed, they have acknowledged it and said how they will prevent it from happening again, I think we, the fans, are doing the line a disservice to continue to bring it up as a problem.

  23. #223
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Twisting my words and the meaning of what I said...interesting.

    I did not blame customers reactions to continued production errors instead of the production issue, I said "as much of" a negative effect which means I believe they both contribute equally.

    I also wasn't talking about continued production errors, i was talking about production errors that have been one off situations (Snout Spouts nose). I actually agree that there should be continued complaint regarding on-going issues like the black plastic (which I think was a horrible idea and they need to stop doing it as quickly as possible and they need to make a statement to ensure us that X figure will be the last one with black plastic painted over), and reversed parts, however I know they are aware of this and are trying to correct it. We have not seen reversed shoulders since King Hsss...however, the factory worker seem to not care enough to not reverse other parts. I think the fact that Mattel is offering a free gift to subscribers and announcing Frosta's reversed forarms prior to her sale so that non-subscribers can make a choice to purchase her or not is a very good move in the positive. They are not going to want to do this for every figure and I'm sure will let the factory know who upset they are with their mistake.

    What I was commenting on was people continuing to bring up a one off problem that has not occurred again and has evidence to the contrary that it will happen again. Scott said they will not use that material again. So, if they did make her arms bendy they would not use the same material as Snout Spouts nose, they would most likely use the same as King Hsss's snake arms. People continuing to bring up the breaking snout issue and applying it to everything that could be bendable and therefor could break gives a bad impression to people who might be new to the line or might be looking into starting to collect the line. There are a lot of awesome figures in this line and a lot of figures with great quality control, that are well painted and sturdy and just plain awesome. I think Scott and Mattel need credit for what is good and they need to be called out when things are bad, but when a problem has been addressed, they have acknowledged it and said how they will prevent it from happening again, I think we, the fans, are doing the line a disservice to continue to bring it up as a problem.
    I think you are missing the point.

    There are continuous errors in these figures. They may not all be the same error, but the errors keep occurring.

    Bad materials choices. Reversed parts. Black plastic.

    They may not always be the same errors, or the exact same instances where poor judgement is used, but the point is - they are indicative of a lack of oversight to the entire line. They are not all avoidable, but when they keep happening, even in different forms, especially when customers warn you about it ahead of time, it shows that there is a problem.

    On Octavia I don't totally disagree with you - however, I think customers are well-founded in their suspicion because this is a desired character and we'd like to get her functional and lasting. A lot of people were burned by Snout Spout - well, everyone was burned, because at this point unless it was somehow hermetically sealed or otherwise preserved, the snouts have all "dried out" and I doubt anyone has one that is as posable as it was when it was released, even if it has not split or "bled blue" yet.

    I think he is remembered in the way he is because people posted before his release that they were worried about the long term viability of the materials they were dismissed with "oh Mattel's crack lab experts test everything thoroughly!" So I think what you are seeing is not so much people thinking they will re-use the same defective material, but that whatever material they use - it's been proven to us that their processes which they have such confidence in are insufficient.

    While I understand your point regarding complaints, I again have to say, if these mistakes did not happen (it feels like someone trying to plug up leaks in a sinking boat - as soon as you plug one, another bursts), customers wouldn't complain about them.

    In the end, I'm fine with them being the way they are, personally. I think it speaks volumes that Mattel has chosen to make them not "bendy" - to be honest, that's why it feels like a contradiction to say that people shouldn't be wary of bendy parts, keep their mouths shut and just trust Mattel, but on the other hand should be asking for them to change the materials they chose. If Mattel has chosen not to, it's either because it's too expensive and we'd have to lose things in other areas with the figure, or some other reason.

    It sounds like they are being cautious, so again, customer opinion either way is detrimental under your theory - perhaps people will be turned off by fans making her out to be less-than because she is not being made to have bendy arms, just like they may be turned off by talk of Snout Spout and his defects. In either case, it is criticism of Mattel, just different sides of the coin.

  24. #224
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Forgive me for being uniformed, but what other bendy parts, besides Snout Spouts nose, fell apart? King Hsss's snakes have held up fine and many other toys made by Mattel and other companies that use bendy parts have been fine.

    Snout Spout's nose was made by a new material and I'm sure Scott said they would not be using that material on any figure again....So why does everyone talk like this has been an on-going issue that has affected multiple characters with bendy parts? If they made her tentacles out of the same material as King Hsss's snakes there is no reason to believe they will break like Snout Spout's nose...
    Here's where that argument comes apart: why didn't they use the same material from Hiss for Snouty? The Spout came well after the Snake Man, when we were starting to see Mattel cutting obvious corners to trim costs. The new material tried on Snouty was likely one of those cost cutting measures, using a cheaper material than that used on Hiss. It was inarguably inferior, and, with subs down and a fully tooled figure like Rammy leading off the year, I would say there is a very good chance that, even if they do not use the same material from Snouty's spout, they would use a cheaper material than was used on Hiss, who was made when resources for the line were more plentiful and better materials could be justified.

    It should indeed be simplicity itself to do the tentacles right, IF you use the proper materials. But with Mattel, it comes down to this: regardless of what TG says they will or won't use, Matel's recent track record of cutting corners across numerous lines gives me no confidence that they would not resort to a cheap material that would have no better results than we saw with the spout.

    It's a matter of trust, and Mattel squandered any that they had left some time ago.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  25. #225
    Gimme Granita! Scorpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,321
    Still can't believe we're getting Octavia.

    285151_10152129476225015_1462194166_n.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •