Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 004 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 004 Discussion!

Episode 004 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

This week's show continues the MOTUC bio discussion with Faker, Stratos, Mer-Man, Zodac and Hordak.

There's also listener e-mail and this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 004

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Yay!!!!!
    Here we go.
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; June 9, 2010 at 09:24am.

Ha! Thanks for the shout-out Eamon. Made my day, for real.
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Nice Dinner guys!

I totally forgot about the MOTU commercial raps in 1987...MOTU tried to become hip. Gone are the warrior chants, now we got raps on the beach...

I like the insights into Faker being used more in Filmation, especially because Filmation likes to re-use so much stock footage. The Eternian junkyard cracks are priceless! "Go to Randor's junkyard and see what he throws out!" Faker is the equivalent of an artist balling up a bad drawing and throwing it in the trash.

I think Mattel is trying to make the Trollans and Orko into more serious characters. It's really apparent now with the whole Orko ad and bio, which references the idea that Orko's "Jar-Jar Binks" stuff is an act and that the Trollans are serious characters. I think it works--instead of rolling your eyes whenever Orko takes up screentime, he's now someone you want to watch.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I totally forgot to say something to my POP loving bretheren on the podcast.
    I'll try to raise it nest time as I think it's valid point.

You are very welcome Lee-Man!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

The New Gods parrells you're looking for are definately there. Zodac is the most obvious, as the New Gods have a character named Meteron who is an (supposedly) unbiased observor who flies around in a cool chair.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    --instead of rolling your eyes whenever Orko takes up screentime, he's now someone you want to watch.
    Not really.

In Vintage and MYP he's still a clown that doesn't do that much of serious note. He was intended as comic relief and his new bio doesn't change his role in older media.

Perhaps if we EVER get some kind of media for MOTUC, my opinion will have the opportunity to be changed.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I think it works--instead of rolling your eyes whenever Orko takes up screentime, he's now someone you want to watch.
    Nah, not really. At least, it's not working on me. He's still a goof...and not in a good way.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

MYP Mer-Man was voiced by Scott McNeil, who also did the voice for Waspinator on Beast Wars. That's why he sounds so similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    In Vintage and MYP he's still a clown that doesn't do that much of serious note. He was intended as comic relief and his new bio doesn't change his role in older media.

Perhaps if we EVER get some kind of media for MOTUC, my opinion will have the opportunity to be changed.
    That's what I mean. If any new show uses the idea that Orko is actually competent and is only pretending to be a clown.

These are coming fast! Downloading.

EDIT

Ok, right off-the-bat...why it being stated that we missed She-Ra's 25th anniversary by one year? While the toys are copyrighted 1984, didn't the toys and cartoon get released to the public in 1985?

How could you guys not know that the voice of Mer-Man in the 200x cartoon WAS the same guy who did Waspinator (Scott McNeil). He didn't just do Waspinator on Beast Wars, though. He also did Rattrap, Dinobot and Silverbolt.

Speaking of Beast Wars, Man-At-Arms was voiced by Gary Chalk, the guy who voiced Optimus Primal (making bother characters sound nearly identical). For fans of Beast Wars like myself, MOTU felt a little bit like some weird reunion of voices.

EDIT: I should read the thread before posting, lol.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RageTreb View Post
    How could you guys not know that the voice of Mer-Man in the 200x cartoon WAS the same guy who did Waspinator (Scott McNeil). He didn't just do Waspinator on Beast Wars, though. He also did Rattrap, Dinobot and Silverbolt.

Speaking of Beast Wars, Man-At-Arms was voiced by Gary Chalk, the guy who voiced Optimus Primal (making bother characters sound nearly identical). For fans of Beast Wars like myself, MOTU felt a little bit like some weird reunion of voices.

I'm not much of a Transformers guy, so you can't blame me for not knowing!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I'm not much of a Transformers guy, so you can't blame me for not knowing!
    True, but you guys seemed to at least know what Waspinator sounded like. I honestly thought that bit of trivia was common knowledge, or at least known enough that one of the four of you would have spoken up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Ok, right off-the-bat...why it being stated that we missed She-Ra's 25th anniversary by one year? While the toys are copyrighted 1984, didn't the toys and cartoon get released to the public in 1985?
    I could have swore they had an initial release at the end of 84.
    But if not, that one is totally my fault because I swore by it, even though Emiliano was like "Are you sure?"

I had prepped the show with that info because I had read the voicemail ahead of time, and the rest of the guys didn't have reason to double check.
    I should have listened to Emiliano and let him go through his records.
    Sorry.

Because I've never kept up with actor names or their credits.

Gary Chalk was also He-Man on New Adventures. He was also the chief of security for Bartok Industries in The Fly II. It was weird hearing Man-At-Arms curse and say sexual innuendoes.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I could have swore they had an initial release at the end of 84.
    But if not, that one is totally my fault because I swore by it, even though Emiliano was like "Are you sure?"
    Yeah, I should have insisted more for double checking about that!

Yep, sorry. Dunno where my brain was at.
    I dunno why we've always had them listed as '84 on the Toy section as well.
    Must just be an old hold-over from the early days, and it hasn't been updated since.

I fixed my mistake on the show.
    And looks like I'm making a blanket apology at the beginning of episode 5.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Gary Chalk was also He-Man on New Adventures. He was also the chief of security for Bartok Industries in The Fly II. It was weird hearing Man-At-Arms curse and say sexual innuendoes.
    Yeah, I knew he was NA He-Man. Wasn't he also Optimus in the Armada cartoon? I think I know that, because that cartoon came out at the same time as 200x MOTU, and I remember some talking about it.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

FYI - Ragnarok was indeed a robot Thor clone that first appeared in the Marvel Civil War series a few years back...he was also referred to loosely as "Clor"...and if memory serves, Thor has since destroyed him...

MOTU felt a little bit like some weird reunion of voices.
    That was always one of my biggest problems with the new cartoon. I just couldn't listen to the Adam and Man-at-Arms dialogues without thinking "Leonardo is talking to Optimus Prime."

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Yeah, I knew he was NA He-Man. Wasn't he also Optimus in the Armada cartoon? I think I know that, because that cartoon came out at the same time as 200x MOTU, and I remember some talking about it.
    Yeah, Gary was Optimus for almost 10 years, voicing the character in Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    FYI - Ragnarok was indeed a robot Thor clone that first appeared in the Marvel Civil War series a few years back...he was also referred to loosely as "Clor"...and if memory serves, Thor has since destroyed him...
    I knew there was something I forgot to mention...Thor seemingly destroyed Ragnarok at the end of Siege.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Kind of surprised to hear no mention of He-Ro's appearance in Hordak's bio.

The royal junkyard jokes had me laughing my butt off. Great show this week guys, best one yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    The royal junkyard jokes had me laughing my butt off. Great show this week guys, best one yet!
    The bit with Mer-Man having a cloaking device was my favorite.

"We've got to keep checking that garbage! Randor throws everything away!"

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I'm listening to this right now on my Itunes and I'm getting some overlaps in voices here. Is that you guys or my Itunes? I'm at 22 minutes in. I also got a like a long minute of silence. At 24 minutes it's clear and fine.

And of course, I'm going to get razzed for it, but just thought I would mention it.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!