Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have Queen Marlena come from Primus instead of Earth

Why have Queen Marlena come from Primus instead of Earth

(oops the title should be 'Why not have Queen Marlena come from Primus instead of Earth')

Ok I'm sure some of you will spit fire at me but I'm allowed an opinion and I think the idea works.

I don’t like the fact that in some canon Queen Marlena comes from Earth. I'm happy for Earth not to exist within the MOTU universe much like it doesn't in the Star Wars universe (although some claim that Alderaan is/was Earth…whatever).

I do like that she was once a space pilot of some sort, so why not mix it up but not change much? I have posted before that I think if she came from Primus it would make a lot more sense as they're 'human' and it would tie in nicely and it can broaden relationships with characters she may have known on Primus. Heck maybe she was married before or maybe one of the Galactic Protectors could be her brother/father/uncle ?? For me this would help solidify NA with the classic MOTU stuff.

Basically she's still:
    Space pilot
    Queen
    Mother of two
    And could have some extra ties with other MOTU character good and bad.

Just no Earth.
    Last edited by Coptur; June 16, 2010 at 01:49pm.

Court Magician WaitsForTheSummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    Ok I'm sure some of you will spit fire at me but I'm allowed an opinion and I think the idea works.

I don’t like the fact that in some canon Queen Marlena comes from Earth. I'm happy for Earth not to exist within the MOTU universe much like it doesn't in the Star Wars universe (although some claim that Alderaan is/was Earth…whatever).

I do like that she was once a space pilot of some sort, so why not mix it up but not change much? I have posted before that I think if she came from Primus it would make a lot more sense as they're 'human' and it would tie in nicely and it can broaden relationships with characters she may have known on Primus. Heck maybe she was married before or maybe one of the Galactic Protectors could be her brother/father/uncle ?? For me this would help solidify NA with the classic MOTU stuff.

Basically she's still:
    Space pilot
    Queen
    Mother of two

Just no Earth.
    I totally agree, this is an awesome way to further tie the universes together in in the MOTUC cannon. I can already hear the NA haters screaming their opposition to this idea though,

I like the idea. She definitely needs some personality or at least something interesting about her. Otherwise her figure is nothing more than display filler. It also gives reason for Primus (or even NA for that matter) to Exist.

I personally like the thought that she (as all the people on Eternia) originated from Earth. But if Primus was some future colony that people of Earth found after sucking this planet dry, then I'd be totally ok with it.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

On my Eternia Marlena will always be from Earth.

I like it. No need for earth in MOTU, well unlessuntil we finally get a Lubic figure!
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I personally like the thought that she (as all the people on Eternia) originated from Earth. But if Primus was some future colony that people of Earth found after sucking this planet dry, then I'd be totally ok with it.

Heidi
    Exactly what I was thinking.

unless humans originated from some other planet besides Earth (which I'll never buy into btw), then it's safe to assume any & all humans in any cannon/universe would have originated from Earth. IMO, even the humans on Star Wars were originally from Earth (their ancient ancestors anyway).

I guess i'll never see what the big deal is, of including our home world in a fictional mythology. for me it helps me relate to the characters better. why would i give two hoots about some 'human looking' aliens on a distant world? If they are humans like myself, then i'm more inclined to care about what happens to them.
    If they're not humans whose ancestors colonized on an alien world eons ago, then they can just blow themselves up for all I care. And if Marlena is just another alien, then that ruins her character for me completely.

Being from Earth gives her a connection to the viewers, and made (many of us) care about her & the other humans on Eternia. I don't believe the character would have connected quite as well had she not been from Earth.

To say Marlena isn't from Earth is like saying Superman isn't from Krypton, or Batman doesn't fight crime in Gotham City, imo... just wrong on so many levels. why change a character's background just to please a few 'fans' who don't happen to like certain aspects of it?

sorry to those who don't like Earth being part of motu, but too bad. It's been part of it for more than 25 yrs. Get used to it. they don't need to change it, ever. to change that, they might as well say She-ra wasn't raised on Etheria & He-man isn't from Eternia while they're at it. or the sorceress doesn't guard Castle Grayskull.... might as well erase everything & rewrite the entire mythology, right? See how that goes?

I didn't care for the idea of Etheria being part of the 'Dimension of Despondos', since I think they should be two different worlds...(and Despondos should have been called Etheria in the myp series, imo) but I've since accepted it as part of the mythos & moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Same here. regardless of what they feed us with her bio (if they ever make her, that is), she'll always be an astronaut from Earth to me.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    I like the idea. She definitely needs some personality or at least something interesting about her. Otherwise her figure is nothing more than display filler. It also gives reason for Primus (or even NA for that matter) to Exist.
    In 200X, Marlena was both a warrior and had diplomatic skills that put Randor's to shame (when she formed an alliance with King Taurius).

Although I hate the idea of Marlena coming from Earth, I could see Mattel's bio writers using it. The MYP Marlena could have come from Earth all along, but it's simply downplayed severely.

If the fans are such uber-geeks and MOTU fans, I'll bet that Mattel will mention in her bio that Marlena secretly knows that Adam is He-Man as is hinted by both Marlena's.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Basically she's still:
    Space pilot
    Queen
    Mother of two

Just no Earth.
    Gah! Blasphemy...spit fire at this man!

It works, but I liked Filmation's origin. Heck, they came to Earth in the movie and some comic strips...and children came from Earth in the Christmas special...

You can't escape Alderaan...I mean...Earth! Unless Primus IS actually Earth, or Eternia is really Earth. MOTU hasn't spoofed anything from Planet of the Apes yet.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Marlena from Earth!!!! The people of Primus are a little moron. I´m sorry but is how i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Hell yeah, me too!
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    Marlena from Earth!!!! The people of Primus are a little moron. I´m sorry but is how i feel.
    I wouldn't go that far. Mara is from Primus and she got alot closer to figuring out Adam is He-Man in 65 episodes than Teela did in 130.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Mara is from Primus and she got alot closer to figuring out Adam is He-Man in 65 episodes than Teela did in 130.
    Oh, major BURN!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Mara is just a girl without any ability, and the only reason that she appears in the show is for trying to separate Adam and Teela. She just want to be Princess no matter what. I don´t like her attitude.
    Teela rocks!!!

Mara is just a girl without any ability, and the only reason that she appears in the show is for trying to separate Adam and Teela. She just want to be Princess no matter what. I don´t like her attitude.
    Teela rocks!!!
    Mara is actually quite the warrior woman and diplomat. In a toga, she's actually more capable than Flipshot! Besides...she becomes a Galactic Protector and the leader of the Mytes later in the series. Besides, she doesn't know of Adam's heritage to want to be a princess. In NA, Adam is disguised as Sebrian's nephew, a merchant from the floating city of Levitan.

The vintage era is great, but there's more to MOTU that the vintage era, friend.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 15, 2010 at 06:44pm.

Mara is actually quite the warrior woman and diplomat. In a toga, she's actually more capable than Flipshot! Besides...she becomes a Galactic Protector and the leader of the Mytes later in the series. Besides, she doesn't know of Adam's heritage to want to be a princess. In NA, Adam is disguised as Sebrian's nephew, a merchant from the floating city of Levitan.

The vintage era is great, but there's more to MOTU that the vintage era, friend.

This is romance

Dedicated to Mara

Basically she's still:
    Space pilot
    Queen
    Mother of two

Just no Earth.
    I'd be cool with this. I think it's a nice way to tie NA within the rest a little more neatly.
    Who has the Power?

This is romance

Dedicated to Mara
    That...is a picnic.

This is romance
    It's true. Look at how Cringer is looking at Teela. Kitty love. So cute

Adam's looking at a bird or something...

That...is a picnic.
    Yes, but you don´t know what happened after
    I know, and is really hot stuff

Dedicated to Mara too

Last edited by Morningstar; June 15, 2010 at 07:13pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Actually there is indication that Earth does exist within Star Wars. It's just "far far away".

As for Marlena, I don't mind that she's from Earth.

Earth is great. I love Earth! Marlena does too, just not as much as her Eternian family.

If the fans are such uber-geeks and MOTU fans, I'll bet that Mattel will mention in her bio that Marlena secretly knows that Adam is He-Man as is hinted by both Marlena's.
    Some things just don't need to be said. Ever. It's better that way.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    Being from Earth gives her a connection to the viewers, and made (many of us) care about her & the other humans on Eternia. I don't believe the character would have connected quite as well had she not been from Earth.
    Exactly. Being that she's a part of the human race, you have a vested interest in her and the inhabitants of this planet that adopted her when she was lost and alone. And thus, her children are linked as well.

I remember the mini comic (an early one) where the royals are in the library studying the history of the planet. As a child, I wondered why Randor might be studying it unless he was teaching Adam, but I knew obviously Adam was still young and needed to learn, but in addition, even after 18 or so years, Marlena couldn't have learned all there was to know. It made sense to me that she was still learning along with Adam. Which now gives a whole new perspective on their relationship. She got to learn about their world along with him as he grew up...
    I love an all inclusive canon!

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    I always hated the Marlena - Earth connection. Don't like any MOTU - Earth connection. Seems like a cop out for writers with little in the ideas or imagination department. I'd rather she was from Eternia - plain and simple, but I like the Primus idea too. I wish I could explain why I don't like the Earth/MOTU thing, but I can't. No idea why I don't like it, I just don't.

Elder Councilman
    How could Alderaan be Earth?

Does Star Wars not start off with "Long long ago in a galaxy far far away"?
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room