Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Buck 2.0: What Would You Like To See?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Female Buck 2.0: What Would You Like To See?

We have had some fantastic female characters come out so far and they have been the favourite action figures of many people (myself included). That being said, there are a few design flaws with the current female buck. When female buck 2.0 gets made, what changes would you like to see?

Here's my list:

1) Hip joints. The current joints are exposed to mid-thigh making the women have to wear longer loincloth/skirts/pants than the men do! I would like to see these designed in the same style as the men allowing for shorter outfits when needed, like with Adora. This would require new hip joints, the Teela hips to be patched up (cover the mid-thigh exposure) and possibly a shorter crotch.

2) Waist-twist/ab-crunch. Teela and the Goddess could not move because of the rigid, unforgiving plastic (without risking breaking them). This was corrected with Adora, but something still seems a bit off with her twisting feature. The male figures twist flawlessly. Ab-crunch is something I can live without, but there are a lot of people who want it. If Mattel and the FourHorsemen can find a way to hide it under the women's outfits without ruining their sculpt or making them "bulky" I say do it!

3) Two-piece outfits. When the women who can twist at the waist turn even a little bit to the left or right, they expose their underwear. This looks very awkward/unnatural and if they are left in a side-pose for an extended period (30+ minutes) the hips stretch out the skirt and it does not want to go back to the normal shape. If the outfits were two pieces, none of this would happen so they could turn correctly, look beautiful and not stretch out the botom half of their outfits. Two piece outfits also allow Mattel to do a lot more parts re-use they are unable to do with one piece outfits. Here are some examples:

- Sweet Bee and Double Trouble: bracelets and boots
    - Sweet Bee and Catra: chest
    - Castaspella and Entrapta: bracelets, chest, boots (fully repainted body)
    - Peekablue and Netossa: bracelets, chest, boots (fully repainted body)
    - Flutterina and Spinnerella: bracelets, chest, boots (fully repainted body)
    - All toy She-Ra variants: bracelets, chest, boots (fully repainted body)
    - All toy Catra variants: bracelets, chest, boots (fully repainted body)
    - All PoP figures: same crotch/loincloth

Most of the figures also share the same two accessories: comb (which will be the axe-comb) and shield

The only unique pieces are the skirts, pants, vests, backpacks, etc. The plasic clothes could be made to go over the basic body/bodies like they were done in the 80's.

The two-piece outfit may require a new torso and crotch. It would really be in Mattel's best interest to make the two-piece outfits. Mermista requires both human legs AND a mermaid tail, so the two-piece outfit approach has to happen sooner or later. Why not save some money by doing it sooner so they can re-use the chests and other parts?

4) Slightly slimmer torso and hips for younger characters. There are women of various ages in the MOTU/PoP/NA/200X universe. It would be nice to see them represented. Glimmer is supposed to be quite young and noticeably smaller, like 200X Prince Adam. She should not share the Teela body. This slimmer torso could be used for all the women. The plastic for the outfits could be thicker on the older women and thinner on the younger ones. The end result should look as thin as Teela for older women (ex:Peekablue, Sorceress,etc.) and the younger ones would be thinner (ex: Glimmer).

5) Neck ball attached to torso. This would fix the "bobble head" issue completely and make it one part. Make them like Star Wars or Marvel Legends necks. Heads fully retain up-and-down and side-to-side movements. The ball should still be the same size as the current one so the women can all swap heads. This would also make the neck sturdier and less likely to suffer breakage (like the Goddess').

That's everything I can think of. What do you guys want?

Pictures as examples:

Last edited by Darkspecter; February 20, 2010 at 11:43pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

They should be able to talk and move on command. Teela should be able to talk dirty.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

My name is Jii Dee, and i approve of this message.
    I think the "ab-crunch" could be simulated by having the stomach be a solid peice, and have a ball/sock joint at the rib cage, so basically the upper chest can move up and down a bit, thereby giving a semblance of "ab-crunch".Its the same kind of setup that modern g.i.joe toys have. Put some SOFT rubbery clothing over the top of the stomach and the chest, glue it down onto the stomach and you're set.
    That in conjuction with an actual waist swivel that is seperate from the afformentioned stomach/chest balljoint and you're onto a winner (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    My name is Jii Dee, and i approve of this message.
    I think the "ab-crunch" could be simulated by having the stomach be a solid peice, and have a ball/sock joint at the rib cage, so basically the upper chest can move up and down a bit, thereby giving a semblance of "ab-crunch".Its the same kind of setup that modern g.i.joe toys have. Put some SOFT rubbery clothing over the top of the stomach and the chest, glue it down onto the stomach and you're set.
    That in conjuction with an actual waist swivel that is seperate from the afformentioned stomach/chest balljoint and you're onto a winner (imo)
    They *might* be able to make some sort of ab-crunch on the current body they have made for Teela. She has a ball joint "waist" much like the necks of MOTUC figures. This is to show everyone what the current female buck looks like and to help give ideas on how it can be improved (Tallstar's pictures):

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

When was it said they were going to make a 2.0 female buck?

I can't say much for She-Ra, as I haven't seen her in hand yet, but to be honest, i was more then happy with Teela and Adora (particularly Teela which is one of my favorite figures in the line)

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    When was it said they were going to make a 2.0 female buck?
    I would have to look it up, but Mattel basically said "we'll look into it" then "eventually" then "for figures who require it" (like Tallstar and Jewelstar) now their answer is "you'll be surprised how versatile it is!" which translates into them wanting to share it for everyone or almost everyone.

3-5 sites (that I know of) have had questions sent to Mattel for Q&A sessions very concerned about issues with the current female buck wanting to see a new one. The males have different bucks.

For those that have no problems with any of the issues I and many others have pointed out (5 points in post one), have no other suggestions or do not want a new female buck, you are free to express your opionions. This is an open discussion about the female buck 2.0

I want this thread to be a constructive talk which could be helpful to Mattel.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 20, 2010 at 05:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I would have to look it up, but Mattel basically said "we'll look into it" then "eventually" then "for figures who require it" (like Tallstar and Jewelstar) now their answer is "you'll be surprised how versatile it is!" which translates into them wanting to share it for everyone.

3-5 sites (that I know of) have had questions sent to Mattel for Q&A sessions very concerned about issues with the current female buck wanting to see a new one. The males have different bucks. This is an open discussion about the female buck 2.0
    Well with that being said. What I want with the new female buck is an end to the *****ing and complaining.

It seems like the plastic on the dresses being softer (which I thought they said they were working on still) would solve a lot of the pose-ability issues. They've said they are working on that, right? A lot of the PoP girls will be statues if their dresses/capes/etc are molded from the same plastic as the capes so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    It seems like the plastic on the dresses being softer (which I thought they said they were working on still) would solve a lot of the pose-ability issues. They've said they are working on that, right? A lot of the PoP girls will be statues if their dresses/capes/etc are molded from the same plastic as the capes so far.
    I'm pretty sure the Adora plastic is the final version, which is fine. It works. King Grayskull's cape is the softest plastic in the entire line, which would be wonderful to see used on all loincloths, capes, costumes though.

Still, the issue of the skirt/pants turning with the torso and stretching the outfit (Teela and Adora pic) can only be fixed by making the two-piece outfits...which would also save Mattel money in the end. They wouldn't have to resculpt the parts the PoP girls share (all my examples in post 1).

Heroic Warrior
    The lack of articulation in Teela is horrible... and the idea that all the females are taller that the males (that are 7 foot tall!) is insane.

Oh well, hopefully I will get and Evil Lyn and then the only other female I have to worry about is the Sorceress... and hopefully she will have some tooling dollars. I'm glad that I'm not into 'she-ra'.

I want to see a stomach piece that is actually sculpted with abs and belly button instead of having that bland triangular piece.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I agree with everything that was said in the first post, and appreciate the pictures provided as examples.

I would just want a buck which could have an exposed midriff so we can get Bikini Teela.

And let me get some hell yeahs for Jean's Snake-Girl idea!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Movie mayhem!
    I would say all the stuff you said, but maybe add have a little bit thinner waiste.

Also Whiplash has ab articulation thats completely hidden... why can't the same kind of thing work for a female figure....

Might I suggest that you pass along this list to the Four Horsemen on their forum as well? It seems to me that Mattel leave most of the sculpting decisions up to the 4H, so I see no reason whatsoever why we couldn't get a 2.0 female body. It's going to be needed eventually anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I would have to look it up, but Mattel basically said "we'll look into it" then "eventually" then "for figures who require it" (like Tallstar and Jewelstar) now their answer is "you'll be surprised how versatile it is!" which translates into them wanting to share it for everyone or almost everyone.
    Here's one of the quotes:

5. Tallstar: Since you have said that females will share the basic Teela body, how would Mattel and the 4H treat characters like Jewelstar (transforming body) and Tallstar (extended body) from the POP line?

Females will be handled just like male figure in the line. Not every male figure uses a 100% shared body and some females will also need some or all unique tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Might I suggest that you pass along this list to the Four Horsemen on their forum as well? It seems to me that Mattel leave most of the sculpting decisions up to the 4H, so I see no reason whatsoever why we couldn't get a 2.0 female body. It's going to be needed eventually anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestion Tallstar! Done and done:

http://www.fantasticexclusive.com/ff...?TOPIC_ID=4059

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Guess this should be included in this discussion:

I've had no problems the the 3 figures I've gotten so far (Adora, Goddess and Teela).

So I'd vote to keep the current female buck exactly how it is. Focus on other things.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Great post, Darkspecter.
    I concur with every of your point, save for the starwars ball jointed neck. It doesn't allow for a lot of movement. I'd say just make sure the hole in the head fits the peg...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    I've had no problems the the 3 figures I've gotten so far (Adora, Goddess and Teela).

So I'd vote to keep the current female buck exactly how it is. Focus on other things.
    I on the other side here. I think, that's the "other thing" in this case.

I'm would be much more pleased with a remade, or 2nd buck for females. I
    It must be that way.

I love Teela, she's my very favorite figure so far, but I hate her torso articulation.
    http://decorvo.mybrute.com

Nothing represents more the unexplainable vacuousness of the human race, than the unfounded and arrogant blind faith in the ruthless and narcissistic transcendence of itself.

Wish list; http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=166721

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like any future "female" body-sculpt to have ALL the same features as the "male" body-sculpts, including the same ball-jointed hips and ab-crunch. I'd also like to see the "bobble-head" issue fixed if possible.

I'm happy with the current "size" of the figure (in terms of waist and hips). If anything, I would like to see more muscle definition in the upper arms and thighs, but the existing arm and leg sculpts are acceptable as they are.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I would like to see more muscle definition in the upper arms and thighs, but the existing arm and leg sculpts are acceptable as they are.
    I personally think the musculature on the arms and legs is pretty good where it is. Teela is the warrior and captain of the royal guard. The Sorceress, Queen Marlena and all the PoP girls are mainly more slender.

I'm really happy with the overall look of Teela. She's an amazing sculpt and has excellent proportions: arms, thighs, legs, waist-line, bust, etc.

Her body buck does have room for improvement though (post 1).

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Darkspecter, I fully support your arguments for the Female Buck 2.0 and like to see them as well!
    Maybe the females can be made a little shorter (around 1") as well to look more accurate next to the males.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

One of the problems I've heard discussed with female figures is that due to the way their bodies are shaped, not many toy makers like making them because if you put in 'male' articulation, they start looking 'off' or due to their thin waists compared to the men, they become much more snappable.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.