Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures

It looks like Pac-Man is the latest 80s craze to get a revamp in the entertainment industry. The ghosts and Pac-Man being friends is kind of messed up, though.

IGN.com:
    The latest news out of E3 is that Avi Arad, former CEO of Marvel Studios and now executive adviser for Namco Bandai, is developing a new television show starring Pac-Man. Variety reports that Arad showed a three-minute teaser of his vision for the new Pac-Man at an E3 event celebrating the game's 30th anniversary.

This wouldn't be the first time Pac-Man has made his way to TV. Back in the 1982, at the height of the game's popularity, the character starred in a Saturday morning cartoon. The new show would improve on that with computer animation and stereoscopic 3D. Arad's goal is to "create a show that speaks to teenagers and tells the story of a hero who doesn't know his own strengths."

According to Variety, the plot centers around ghosts who are trying to overtake Pac-Man's world. It's up to Pac-Man, who's a high school student, to save the world. In this mission, he'll be assisted by his Pac-friends and four friendly ghosts -- Pinky, Inky, Blinky and Clyde. Yes, you read that right, in this version the game's ghosts would be Pac-man's allies, not his enemies.

At this point, the project has only gone so far as Arad's imagination. Now that the big announcement has been made, though, he'll be approaching potential partners with the trailer that premiered at the E3 event.

"We feel we have a unique opportunity to have an action adventure, human interest story," Arad said. "As a filmmaker, it's a unique opportunity to get to know the characters you play. … We don't know what happened to Pac-Man's parents. He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land; what does that mean? Is it a social statement? We'll find out."

Pac-parents? A social statement? Sounds pretty complex for a spherical character known primarily for chomping pellets and avoiding ghosts.
    I hope one of these days the old cartoon gets a DVD release.
    Last edited by Firefly; June 18, 2010 at 07:55pm.

-The new show would improve on that with computer animation and stereoscopic 3D.
    Lame, let's see REAL animation, huh?

-"create a show that speaks to teenagers and tells the story of a hero who doesn't know his own strengths."
    Lame, uuuugh.....

-Pac-Man, who's a high school student,
    Lame, it's Pac-Man, not Pac-Kid

-he'll be assisted by his Pac-friends and four friendly ghosts -- Pinky, Inky, Blinky and Clyde
    Lame and wrong

-"We feel we have a unique opportunity to have an action adventure, human interest story,"-"As a filmmaker, it's a unique opportunity to get to know the characters you play. … We don't know what happened to Pac-Man's parents. He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land; what does that mean? Is it a social statement? We'll find out."
    Ultra-Mega Lame, It's Pac-Man, not some lame anime, or a new Final Fantasy. Sounds like someone's REAL happy with themselves and is ready to make some "art".

I know the character I play. It's not whiney, emo Pac-Man. It's the happy go lucky Pac-man from the Cartoon or Pac-man 2: The New Adventures
    Last edited by sonofblaine; June 18, 2010 at 08:09pm.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Wow, groundbreaking stuff

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Is nothing sacred anymore?! What a world!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

sorry but how can you make a tv show out of a yellow circle that eats dots while avoiding ghosts?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    sorry but how can you make a tv show out of a yellow circle that eats dots while avoiding ghosts?
    Well, it has been done before...

I know and seeing it...I stand by my question (tho I would like to add the word 'decent' into it)
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Wow...that, ah...sounds interesting. Take something that is completely off the radar for kids today and turn it into a cartoon again. I guess someone misses the days of video games getting cartoons that were totally unrelated to the game. Not that you can make a toon off of the way Pac-Man actually is, but....well, that's sorta the point. Don't do it. Plenty of other more interesting things to use as toon fuel.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    yeah... the ghosts as his friends I can't see. Maybe if there were new ghost characters created for the show that were friendly that would be okay But Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde are villains plain and simple.

To make matters worse I read in another article about this that apparently a plot point will revolve around Pac-Man torn between his feelings for fellow Pac Lander (I.E. Ms. Pac-Man) and his attraction to a female ghost character!

Sheesh this thing is more faithful:

"How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    This trend of digging up beloved 80s things and doing them wrong is really getting old, not to mention sickening at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I hope one of these days the old cartoon gets a DVD release.
    If you have Xbox Live the first season is available in the Zune marketplace and has been on there for years now I think. I remember seeing it a while ago, not sure if it's still there because I use Netflix instead. But at least it's out there!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

So Avi Arad left Marvel for this? It would've been better to have this new cartoon follow the 'Pac-Man World' games, or maybe even the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I'm not to sure if making Pac-Man a teenager, or having the ghosts be his friends is such a good idea. It's bad enough that you can't have an lead adult protagonist in cartoons anymore. Unless your Batman, of course.

Arad's an idiot! Having Pac-Man friends with the Ghosts is about as stupid as when they did it with these guys in later years...

I also love how they're turning Pac-Man into a WB/CW teenage drama...

"We don't know what happened to Pac-Man's parents. He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land; what does that mean? Is it a social statement? We'll find out."

Do only dumb, arrogant people without a creative bone in their body become Hollywood producers or does the job take normal people & turn them into that?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

So its CG Pac-Man? Can't quite picture that, it works so well traditionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Arad's an idiot! Having Pac-Man friends with the Ghosts is about as stupid as when they did it with these guys in later years...
    Please remove IMG coding in quoted replies. Thanks
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uFooa8uVVH...+and+Jerry.jpg
    Ah yes, who could forget when Tom & Jerry became friends?

Last edited by mbaker; August 30, 2013 at 11:30am. Reason: removed IMG in quote

Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    Ah yes, who could forget when Tom & Jerry became friends?
    I guess all it took was for Jerry to wear a bow tie.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I love Pac Man but this is just wrong. They're messing with the concept and screwing it up, there are much better ways of modernizing the show that tweaking with storyline elements.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Is nothing sacred anymore?! What a world!
    LOL, so true
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Classic & 200X fan
    My god, geeks....

This is why the comic book guy on the Simpsons has never been funny to me, because I know theres people really like him. It's a PAC-MAN cartoon, that's it. "IT'S WRONG!"..God, they are changing the story of a yellow dot, it's not like they are burning a flag.
    big geek

Quote Originally Posted by Kafos View Post
    God, they are changing the story of a yellow dot, it's not like they are burning a flag.
    And a flag is just a piece of cloth.

As long as it's not infringing on your rights, who cares if someone voices their displeasure of something. It took all of us a minute to type out our thoughts. It's not like we're gathering signatures for a petition or staging a protest. Get over yourself. You do realize you're being all judgmental on a 1980's action figure fansite don't you?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Old school Pac-Man would just chomp down a power pill and eat this nonsense up real good!

The E3 Presentation of the cartoon:

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I'm not impressed
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    And a flag is just a piece of cloth.
    hahaha. someone just got schooled!!!!!
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafos View Post
    My god, geeks....

This is why the comic book guy on the Simpsons has never been funny to me, because I know theres people really like him. It's a PAC-MAN cartoon, that's it. "IT'S WRONG!"..God, they are changing the story of a yellow dot, it's not like they are burning a flag.
    A flag is a piece of cloth symbolizing a nation. Geekdoms have something similar, in this case it's Pac-man.

This cartoon sounds too much like, hey lets make Pac-man an anime cause kids love that stuff.

And watching the video, general premise is OK, I would prefer no he is the only yellow one bit and the ghosts being good guys. I have a feeling this won't last long either way. The trailer feels just a generic show, chosen one who is special because he is destined to be so, the reason he is destined to be so is because the script tells me so. He fights ghosts because only he can, and that is because he is destined to do it.

Once again I don't think any one is expecting an epic story, but even children's stories you can show not tell this trailer told me a lot of stuff but didn't show me much.
    Last edited by wyldman11; June 20, 2010 at 06:25pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Watching the animation part of the presentation, it is not as bad as I initially thought it might be, but still probably not a show I'd get into.