Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Oo-Larr Official Discussion and Speculation thread

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I'm not sure who was responsible, but, as I recall, the timing does point to a very good chance that it was simply a blunder that Mattel wanted to make look like it was intentional. I can see Matty, with Pee-Wee Herman's voice, saying, "I meant to do that!"

Regardless, I ignore the bios and a lot of the names, especially the "real" ones (I'm looking at you, Hector), so I don't really care much here. As long as we get a cool figure out of it, they can call him Tralfaz (yuck!) as far as I'm concerned.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I like the name way better than Sir Laser-Lot. I have nothing against a more Tarzan or Ka-Zar-esque character. Not so fond of him being the original mini-comic He-Man or that being a different character who actually fought Skeletor in the same universe as the Prince Adam He-Man. But Oo-Lar just isn't as offensive a name as some others.

The name oo-larr sucks. And since you mention it, fisto sucks, stinkor sucks, mo-larr sucks, etc.

oo-larr just takes the cake.

Man-E-Faces, and Meckaneck are at least funny. The first time I read those and I could understand it (I obviously didn't speak English at age 5, only Spanish) I chuckled. I just don't think fisto or stinkor are funny, what really matters though is kids found it funny.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

I'm calling him:

Ki-Larr

Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eternian poet View Post
    i'm calling him:

Ki-larr

brilliant! Cut, print, ship it!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It kind of sounds like the stereotypical noise a tribesman (or Tarzan-like character) might make. Doesn't bother me one bit.
    I agree. I'm not wild about the name, but kind of think it does make sense.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    I happen to like the name Oo-Lar. In fact, I made a character in D&D with that very name...
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    no problem with me. i'm cool with it. i like the name & the concept too.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

The fact that people use the name Oo-Larr just proves it works, whether you like it or not.

It is just another one of those changes that the fandom comes to support, like Keldor and Demo-Man

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Cheese-Larr!!!
    I got one better: Moo-Larr!

Doesn't bother me a bit...oh wait, am I allowed to post in your thread? You know, what with me quitting and all...
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    How do you know it was Scott who messed up and not the person filing the Trademark?? How do you know that Scott even does that as part of his job? Do you work at Mattel or are you just looking for yet another reason to stir the pot?

Put the spoon away.
    Aww... Here's a tissue.

i like the name and i really want a toy of him

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Am I right in thinking that if this is Oo-Larr -

Then presumably the "Teela" that he hangs around with, is actually original Teela AKA Teela-Na, the young Sorceress?-

As in the first 4 mini-comics, it makes absolutely no mention of her being Man-At-Arms daughter! This could easily be the adventures of Young Duncan, Oo-Larr and Teela-Na, fighting a Demo-Man-possesed Skeletor!

Then we get to the Stratos situation...

This can easily be rectified, as Stratos was part of Man-At-Arms team when Keldor got his face messsed up. Perhaps Man-At-Arms suggested that Stratos pretends to betray the Heroic Warriors, and get some inside info on the new Skeletor and his cronies, Beast-Man and Mer-Man...(hence why Stratos appears to be with the villains here) ->

Stratos can easily be a Tanned-color because his feathers are changing color for some normal avion reason (different season), same with Mer-Man' blue-er skin.

they can be-

Great Unrest Stratos
    and
    Great Unrest Mer-Man variants!
    (not new characters, just different versions!)

Am I correct in my understanding of this in terms of Oo-Larr?

------

Also, interestingly Oo-Lar builds his home a few miles away from Castle Grayskull, in a valley. On the subscribers maps, we know that the Valley Of Gnarl is a few miles away from Grayskull. One half of the power sword is hidden under Oo-Larr's house in the strongest stone imaginable....perhaps that is of some interest to the fighting foe men many centuries earlier?
    Last edited by MISSILE-TOE; March 5, 2012 at 06:34pm.
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Doesn't bother me a bit...oh wait, am I allowed to post in your thread? You know, what with me quitting and all...

My friend, you can post on any thread you like. I was just mildly amused by your quitting the line announcement because I knew you wouldn't pull the trigger.

Its all good!

Snappy Threader
    Oddly, after all of these years, I never noticed Stratos in that shot. I don't mind Oo-Larr, sure the name could be better, but it's a part of lore now pretty much if we like it or not. Much like Demo-Man became. I like the character, I like the expanded thinking to include the orig minis.

love the name Oo-Lar., love the figure Oo-Lar.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    That's kind of an obnoxious post, don't you think?

The notion that TG is trying to 'protect his job' because of an alleged trademark snafu (when a trademark costs as little as $275) is preposterous to begin with. You seem to have thought you had something to dig at TG for, but the majority of the posters don't share your frustration.

And if posting "outraged" threads about toys is what you classify as "fun" (read: "Oh right... I forgot the normal protocol of this website. No fun allowed. "), you might want to join 4chan or something.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I no longer dislike the name. Don't love it, but don't hate it either. The name is secondary anyway. As long as I get a jungle He-Man with an Alcala head sculpt I don't care what he's called.

I don't care what he's called as long as we get an "Alcala style" He-Man!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    That's kind of an obnoxious post, don't you think?

The notion that TG is trying to 'protect his job' because of an alleged trademark snafu (when a trademark costs as little as $275) is preposterous to begin with. You seem to have thought you had something to dig at TG for, but the majority of the posters don't share your frustration.

And if posting "outraged" threads about toys is what you classify as "fun" (read: "Oh right... I forgot the normal protocol of this website. No fun allowed. "), you might want to join 4chan or something.
    Mom, is that you? Not that I owe you an explanation, but my response was far less obnoxious than his post and the self-righteous post that you just made.

And if you think I'm really "outraged" by this, let me assure you that I file this firmly under "White People Problems", as in I don't really give a rats ass either way, but it just seemed like a fun topic of discussion... that is until you and the other crabby crabs showed up.

Lighten up!!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    There's nothing special or interesting about Oo-Larr to me. The name isn't terrible, but he seems like a cheap way to make a He-Man variant. I am surprised a lot of people want this mini-comic He-Man. I guess to me, just go ahead and take off He-Man's armor and you pretty much got Oo-Larr.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Mom, is that you? Not that I owe you an explanation, but my response was far less obnoxious than his post and the self-righteous post that you just made.

And if you think I'm really "outraged" by this, let me assure you that I file this firmly under "White People Problems", as in I don't really give a rats ass either way, but it just seemed like a fun topic of discussion... that is until you and the other crabby crabs showed up.

http://assetsus1.wordansassets.com/w...jpg?1286547401

Lighten up!!
    I don't like a lot of what TG has done as brand manager. With that having been said, I think it's a real schmuck thing to do-to hypothesize about possible problems that he may or may not have been responsible for-for "fun". The line has enough problems. Want to feaux-rage? Pick a legitimate one and have at it.

And any son of mine would have been raised well enough that he wouldn't harass people "for fun".
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Star of the Morning View Post
    I no longer dislike the name. Don't love it, but don't hate it either. The name is secondary anyway. As long as I get a jungle He-Man with an Alcala head sculpt I don't care what he's called.
    I agree completely.

Heroic Warrior
    Perhaps we could limit the discussion to the topic raised, not why it was raised. Great thing about these forums is , you dont have to participate in every topic!

Anyhow - I actually like the name Oo - Larr . It might not be the most creative name but it certainly fits the description of the character well . Savage He - Man , Oo - Larr . Coulda been Ugg Ugg Grrk , or worse imo