Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Oo-Larr Official Discussion and Speculation thread

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This is an example of sense of entitlement that just boggles my mind.

1st of all... WHO CARES?!!?

If your fine with the 'concept' of savage He-man... what do you Care what the name is??

Why do you absolutely HAVE to know where and how the name came from? Whether it was a copyright error, or a cat thrown at the typewriter... What difference does it make?

Odds are good, that this character will not be CALLED Oo-lar, any more than any of the other 'real names'... So where that came from doesn't matter any more then where any of the OTHER names came from.

Toyguru really has no obligation or responsibilty to 'fess up' OR 'tell us where it came from'

If you 'Cant take it anymore'... or are really as invested as this message sounds... then I would recommend switching to decaf

Though... it IS nice to see a complaint that isn't A) Spector and B) quality control related
    Agreed! 100%

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

I will change my avatar as soon as Imp is made in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It kind of sounds like the stereotypical noise a tribesman (or Tarzan-like character) might make. Doesn't bother me one bit.
    This is exactly why I don't mind the name, and actually why I kind of really like it.

And I'm fairly certain it's pronounced like the 'ew' in 'threw' or the 'u' in 'thru', and like other similarly spelled english words like 'oof' or 'too' or 'moo' or 'boo' ...otherwise the 'oo' is likely pronounced like 'oh-uh' (which I doubt would be how Oo-Lar is meant to be pronounced), unless, like the word 'ooh' where the 'oo' is followed by an 'h', then it is also pronounced like the others above like 'moo'.

Then again, there are always exceptions/alternate spellings of words, such as a unique spelling of a persons name, etc. So to each their own, I suppose.
    – No comment.

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    This is exactly why I don't mind the name, and actually why I kind of really like it.

And I'm fairly certain it's pronounced like the 'ew' in 'threw' or the 'u' in 'thru', and like other similarly spelled english words like 'oof' or 'too' or 'moo' or 'boo' ...otherwise the 'oo' is likely pronounced like 'oh-uh' (which I doubt would be how Oo-Lar is meant to be pronounced), unless, like the word 'ooh' where the 'oo' is followed by an 'h', then it is also pronounced like the others above like 'moo'.

Then again, there are always exceptions/alternate spellings of words, such as a unique spelling of a persons name, etc. So to each their own, I suppose.
    Yeah, I can't think of anywhere that "Oo-" is pronounced "Oh". I'm relatively sure it rhymes with 'moo'.

And sorry for using synonyms, Executioner. I'll try not to next time. Can I offer you a issue?

kleenex.jpg
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; March 6, 2012 at 05:50am.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I can't take it anymore!! I have to say that "Oo-Larr" is the dumbest thing to ever enter the MOTU world. I don't mind the idea of a savage He-Man as different than Adam, and I love the early mini-comics. Its the name itself that drives me CRAZY!!

This is CLEARLY a mistake on Toyguru's part when he went to register "Mo-Larr" at the copyright office. I mean, what else could it be? Obviously he messed up, and in a thinly veiled attempt to cover his tracks and save his job at Mattel, he came up with the idea of just jiving this name to the mini-comics He-Man. Am I right, or am I right?

Toyguru either needs to fess up to the fans or tell us how he came up with this "ingenious" name.

Discuss.
    I agree 100%. MOTU is full of ridiculous names, but using a name just to honour a trademark is ridiculous. I'm not a fan of there being multiple 'He-Men' across time - it's an excuse to release multiple, cheap-as variants like Wun-Dar, IMO.

It really surprises me when some fans see a new name and get breathless with excitement about a character they know nothing about. Makes me wonder if they should have released Spector's name before revealing the figure...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Heroic Warrior
    Just chiming in here, but I don't think Oo-Lar is necessarily going to be the name on the front of the box and will most likely be just on the back under real name. If they do, I don't think it's that big of a deal. What I would really like to see is this version of He-Man in a two pack with a re-engineered Green Goddess utilizing the 2.0 female body, the 1.0 thighs and legs, remolded tunic, remolded head and headdress with hair flowing out the back, and no exploding uterus. Since Mattel said that there is curretly no Oo-Lar figure in the works and they don't want a retooled Goddess to take the slot of a single figure, this could be a good way of getting these out by using a different slot like for an oversized figure or a beast instead of taking the slot of a regular figure for what will essentially be slight remolds.

Quote Originally Posted by AximusPrime View Post
    ...and no exploding uterus.
    Yep, he went there.

But no really, I'd love me a new Goddess figure sans the 'explosion' feature (newly tooled, or not) and I certainly wouldn't mind, and would actually prefer that "Oo-Larr" be his nickname, or name on the front of the package. I mean characters with similar names, like Mo-Larr, Wun-Dar, Extendar, and Stonedar, are all non-"real names" and rather their 'known by' or 'classic' names.
    – No comment.

I want an Oo-Larr figure! I know it would basically be naked He-Man, but with a long-haired Alcala head and some unique accessories he could be pretty cool!

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Reviving this old thread because I am getting deeper into the history of these characters.
    They could pack in versions of existing armors... Battle Armor... Thunder Punch armor... and the EXCLUSIVE Flying Fists Armor!!

I was hoping this figure, He-Man/Oo'Larr, would have been a celebration of the 100th figure in MOTUC as a non-sub item. And I thought it would have been cool if it was a 2-pack, with him and the Purple Beast he fights in the mini-comic.

What are the chances we will see this figure, He's easy to make, and is the only other "He-man " that we know about

I have to say that I just don't get the excitement over this figure. Must be the concept more than the actua design. Seems like he'd be an extremely plain figure to me. The Four Horsement would really have to prove me wrong on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    What are the chances we will see this figure, He's easy to make, and is the only other "He-man " that we know about
    Agreed. I've been looking to add to the history of the He-Men for some time. Honestly, I'm surprised that Vikron didn't get worked in as one of the He-Men between Vikor and Wun-Darr.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like an Oo-Larr figure.

I am definitely in to this character. I hope we still get him in MOTUC.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, MYP Evilseed, Tung Lashor, Queen Angela & Lodar

Quote Originally Posted by Greenskull View Post
    I am definitely in to this character. I hope we still get him in MOTUC.
    Me too!

I'd like to see him with a toy He-man head like the latest one from Kevin Kosse! Then we can use that on the first He-man to make an acurate toy version. Plus I think Oo-Lar will look pretty cool battling Alcala Skeletor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bell View Post
    I could see that. The spear, sword and the loose boots. It would be odd, but no odder than the loaf of bread with Wun-dar.
    The spear, golden short sword, and a new power sword with his own colors would be great as accessories. They could use the bare shins from Demo-man and just new bare human feet. And a new head scuplt is really the most important piece to making this character his own entity. I dont really care if he has bare forearms or not but if it happens, it will only add to the figure

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Was the name Oo-Larr a mistake that was originally supposed to be Mo-Larr? Maybe, but I don't think it really matters. If they didn't call him Oo-Larr then they would have called him something else, and it might not have been any better.
    It does matter, because this isn't any old figure; it's the original He-Man from the minicomics, as drawn by Alfredo Alcala. Eventually, this new "Oo-Larr" character is going to appear in a comic and/or get an action figure. From that point onwards, he'll cease to be known as He-Man and will instead be referred to by his new name.

But it's not too late, there's still time to fix it. He deserves a decent name, not one that was created due to an error.

On top of that, "Oo-Larr" is too similar to Mo-Larr. Plus it doesn't have any meaning behind it. Typically MOTU characters have names that mean something, often in reference to their powers.

Please Toyguru, if you have to use the name Oo-Larr, don't put it on this particular figure.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    On top of that, "Oo-Larr" is too similar to Mo-Larr.
    I wonder how that happened?

I really hope we get this figure eventually, for many reasons. My preferred cannon is the Alcala minicomics, we need a better head closer to Alcala and vintage toy, and it will give us (hopefully) many more needed tooled pieces. I hope he only comes with the spear accessory, as I think to be done right he needs a lot of new parts.

Alcala head,
    Bare Feet,
    Bare Forearms,
    Bare furry trunks with NO belt.

That's 6 new pieces and one accessory. Like this.
    tumblr_lui7ymRRzw1r0rrcuo1_500.jpg

Done. The first Picture of he-man in fiction. Gimme.

Like this. Period. Done.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I might get multiples. If his skin tone matches He-Man's skin tone, not only could I give He-Man the Oo-Larr head, I can swap out He-Man's left arm for Oo-Larr's bare right arm to make an Alcala He-Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr