Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I actually never saw Orko as cheezy "comedy relief"

Elder Councilman

I actually never saw Orko as cheezy "comedy relief"

Orko is one of my all-time favorite characters, but "comic relief" is not how I ever really saw him; I always saw him more as "adding a childlike theme to a really serious situation". He's almost like a "security blanket"; you feel better knowing he's there.

Well, that's how I always looked at him.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

He's always been no different than Porky Pig, The 3 Stooges, C3PO, Laurel and Hardy, or any other comic relief you want to name. As a kid I used to be a little more open to the character, but now that I'm older, he doesn't hold that appeal. I wouldn't even want his figure if it wasn't for nostalgia.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Elder Councilman
    to be fair, the only "comedy relief" I find mildly annoying is Slimer; consider me one of a very small minority of people that even likes Snarf from the Thundercats.

No, every Filmation episode I watch is only more enjoyable for me if Orko is in it.

Thought he was kinda cool in the MYP series too.

I love my trollans.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    The only redeeming quality of the various scripts for MOTU movies that have floated about over the last few years is that there is no mention of Orko.

He's (in the words of Charles Barkley) turrible.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Definitely comic relief, but I still like him then and now.

Filmation He-Man would have been really dull without Orko in it.
    yeaaaahh ..... but then that happened...

THESE TRADERS HAVE THE POWER !!! - Thanks guys!

I never saw him as comedic relief either... because he isn't funny. Heyooo!

As fun as it is to harp on Orko, I remember really liking him as a kid and being excited to get his figure. As an adult he's much harder to digest, especially in 200x since the voice was terribly annoying.
    A boy and his cat versus the world...
    http://www.jaybellbooks.com/the-cat-in-the-cradle/

Orko was never a fav of mine. I like him simply for his place in the mythos and what he means to the mythos. He was better in the 200X stuff, IMO, but even then he wasn't a big fav. or anything.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Orko was never a fav of mine. I like him simply for his place in the mythos and what he means to the mythos. He was better in the 200X stuff, IMO, but even then he wasn't a big fav. or anything.
    To each their own I guess, I was just going to post how much I prefer the filmation Orko!

I found him really annoying in 200x, like they were trying too hard with the clutzy stuff.

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    orko is a character in the main cast who knows he-man's secret! why is that important? think about it the only others are man-at-ams cringer and the sorceress. sorceress is stuck in grayskull, cringer is a coward and an animal, man-at-arms cant always be the one that provides an alibi it would get old very quickly.

plus he is able to use magic which is something the masters lack! if they need to do a spell they cant always get the sorceress who even then has no power outside grayskull.

even if its just someone to explain things to, as orko like the audience dosent come from eternia so would have no clue about the things they take for granted.
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by customcrazy View Post
    To each their own I guess, I was just going to post how much I prefer the filmation Orko!

I found him really annoying in 200x, like they were trying too hard with the clutzy stuff.
    Yeah, it's just one of those things. I'm not a giant Filmation person. Don't get me wrong, I liked several episodes as a kid, and still enjoy a lot of Filmation-Only characters, but Orko was one of a few things that bothered me about it when I was younger. I dunno exactly why, but there it is.

I want Orko, but I don't want him above say MEF, Ram Man, Fisto, or Sy-Klone. Thankfully I won't have to choose, and can get Orko when he's released and such, since it won't conflict with the release of anyone else.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

For me, Orko is more integral to the mythos (in all its forms) than even characters like Ram Man or Man-E-Faces. I love them, don't get me wrong, but Orko is important. I mean, there's the nostalgia factor alone. Then there is the fact that I think he really was funny. He and Cringer are hilarious together.

I think, as with any other character, it's up to each person.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by customcrazy View Post

Oddly enough with all the stuff I really enjoyed about the 200x show,
    I preferred Filmation's handling of the character over MYP's version.

Until he used the Ramstone. Then they broke about even.
    "I will not rest until the last Autobot is crushed to nothing and Decepticons rule!"
    Clench: Decepticon Syndicate Director

Demonicfirefly: Is a pleasure to do business with.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    For me, Orko is more integral to the mythos (in all its forms) than even characters like Ram Man or Man-E-Faces. I love them, don't get me wrong, but Orko is important. I mean, there's the nostalgia factor alone. Then there is the fact that I think he really was funny. He and Cringer are hilarious together.

^^^This!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I was never too crazy about Orko--straight Saturday morning cartoon character inserted into barbarian fantasy. He was basically Needle the Phoenix in Conan the Adventurer.

However, like Prince Adam (another concept I wasn't too crazy about in Filmation, but better handled in 200X) I thought he was way more competent in 200X, having only occasional appearances. I liked how he used basic spells to thwart or at least slow down both King Hiss AND Skeletor.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I did originally see him as kind of comic relief, but I'm glad to see he's being treated a bit more seriously. 200X started that trend and Classics is continuing it.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I've always liked Orko - to me he's absolutely integral to the story (to be fair, the Filmation canon is my primary/default 'official' MOTU storyline), and I've never minded him in the classic sense.

I really liked the 4H redesign in the 200X line, but I found his portrayal on the 200X show grating - over the top, and as customcrazy put it, it felt like they were trying too hard with him. Plus the voice was irritating.

Whenever Orko's written as "Look how funny!", it doesn't work, but as the well-meaning, somewhat inept, but always earnest sidekick/kid brother type character, he's fine by me.

And I am certainly going to be very grumpy if I'm not able to snag him on 8/2!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    You're a cool dude, Kinger, but Orko is "teh suck". Whatever manifestation he appears as he is pretty weak across the board...to me at least.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I'll admit: I don't have any idea what I thought of him. I had the toy, and I remember using his feature to watch him freak out and spin around like a maniac, but I don't remember what I thought of him. Then again, I barely remember anything of the show past The Secret Of the Sword and a few other things here and there.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I was really young at the time, but I vaguely remember liking Orko on the original show. I liked him enough to ask for the original figure, I remember that much and I'm looking forward to this new figure.

Watching those shows now with my kids, I tend to appreciate the goofiness of Orko. It's sort of like hearing a really corny joke. His silly little theme song is also amusing to me and the kids love him.

I liked him as a kid, and I like him as an adult for the same reason Matthew K listed; my daughter thinks he's great, so it makes me like him again.

Sure he's goofy and silly, but "goofy and silly" is just as much a part of MOTU as "dark and serious."

Adroit Academic Professor Griffin's Avatar
    If you can re-imagine him slightly, a sort of absent-minded, clumsy, yet profoundly insightful tutor to Prince Adam (think Merlin in The Sword In The Stone for instance), you can find a place for Orko in a more "serious-minded" MOTU mythos.

Orko edifies Adam's intelligence, Duncan, his physicality. Together they make Adam the formidable leader he is to become.
    Zodac is the name for God on the lips of all fanboys.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    ^^^This!
    ^^^I agree!

To me, Orko is important to the mythos, and I really wouldn't want any future version of MOTU to be without him (and IMO he should be in the movie when/if it gets made... we were already jipped once in 1987 when they had Gwildor more or less as "replacement Orko").

Overall, I prefer the Filmation incarnation over the 200X version in terms of the personality, voice, etc. (as others said, it felt like they were trying to hard with that version). What I did like about the 200X version was that they did attempt to give him a few good moments of heroicness (i.e. the Ram Stone episode). I also liked the idea that he still was powerful on Eternia when he had his wand in 200X, but lost it shortly after arrival. To me that meant that if he ever did get his wand back, he could definately kick some butt.

And that is something that I would love to see in a future movie, cartoon, or whatever... Orko maybe starting out as comic relief like he was in the 80s, but having him (some way, some how) being put in a position where he really does have a formidable amount of power available to him (whether it's via a wand like in 200X, or whatever), and actually see him really hold his own in action. That would be seriously awesome!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I didn't grow up on Filmation so Orko is just a tertiary character to me. He's certainly not as important to me as say Teela or Beastman, and to me MOTU would still be very much the same without him. I find him relatively annoying in both cartoons, but I do find the interplay between him and MAA can be great. Still, it can be a little much. In my personal continuity I see him more as a tragic but upbeat wizard who's lost his power, and I'd drop most of the goofball childlike jester stuff.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I like Orko. He's got a fairly unique design, and adds some fun to the mythos.

I think he probably was a bit over-the-top at times in the cartoon tho. But in the UK and German comics that I read as a kid, he was slightly toned down in the fumbling-department, and that made him a very viable character. His magic is often, altho fairly unpredictable, quite useful.

He could often pull himself together when there was something really serious going on, and work the magic decently. ( and since he's actually pretty god-damn powerful, apparently on par with the Sorceress herself, this could be some pretty impressive stuff, once you scraped the surface of it) But in more relaxed occassions his chaotic magic misfires and leads to comedy.

Case in point: When He-man was searching for the Book of Evil, they were assaulted by a beast of magma. He-man throws up a shield to protect them, but it's not enough, so Orko combines his magic with that of the sword, completing the protective sphere. Later on in the story, Orko attempts to show how magic illusions work, by turning a cane into something else, but accidentally turns it into the image of a poisonous snake.

See? Orko has great potential. =) You just need to tone him down a little bit, in the right places. In Sweden his 200x and classic voices were toned down as well, so altho similar to the English ones, they weren't as annoying.

So... I love Orko, and I'll be getting his fig.

( dunno' if I can afford him at the mo' tho'...)