Thread: Is IMAX Overrated & A Waste Of Money?

Is IMAX Overrated & A Waste Of Money?

I see a lot of movies. 99% of the movies I see are at the theater. I've seen the same movie at an IMAX screening as well as a regular theater and I honestly feel the difference is marginal at best. The screen is bigger and the sound is better but neither is very memorable unless you're watching a movie made solely for IMAX. Before it is brought up, I also realize there are 2 types of IMAX movie theaters; the original version and a recent batch of ones that have a screen that isn't much larger than your traditional movie screen but with better sound. I feel all of them just aren't worth the hype or extra money. Am I alone?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Me and the wifey love going to the movies. We go to the IMAX theater only for certain movies (either movies specifically made for IMAX or sure blockbusters), mainly because of the experience. You do miss some details in the movie due to the size of the screen, but it is an experience that can't be re-created at home.
    "I must possess all, or I possess nothing" - Skeletor in Masters of the Universe (1987)

My pictures and albums

Feedback #1
    Feedback #2
    Feedback #3

a Muppet of a man...
    If a movie I really want to see has scenes actually SHOT in IMAX (a la The Dark Knight) I may pay the extra for the experience. If it's a standard film just blown up to IMAX size, then I'd rather save my money.

I saw Iron Man 2 in Imax. The theater had one employee whose job was to sit through the movie and make sure no one used their cell phone to even text. That alone was worth the price of admission.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by okydoky View Post
    Me and the wifey love going to the movies. We go to the IMAX theater only for certain movies (either movies specifically made for IMAX or sure blockbusters), mainly because of the experience. You do miss some details in the movie due to the size of the screen, but it is an experience that can't be re-created at home.
    I think it is a little pricey, but it is fun to go to for the experience. I go only to see the ones with great special effects and/or a theme I'm really into.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

i just got a huge tv...so now imax is the only theater i go to....
    where i live a reg movie is $15... so i rather spend the extra $ and have better seats sound ...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a darkside.

Chronically Groovy Mighty Puundragon's Avatar
    We have 3 in the area and one about 4 miles from my house. Always awesome to see a movie in IMAX. Doesn't matter if it is a regular movie or a documentary, it is worth every penny.

I wouldn't pay to see a regular movie on an Imax sized screen. But I think the 3D is kind of cool. Back before they showed Hollywood movies on Imax, I saw some documentary about the ocean and the creatures that reside. I swear the 3d effect looked like you were actually in the water. I actually think a documentary like that is more interesting in 3D than a Hollywood movie.

Unless it's a 3D movie made specifically for IMAX, I do agree that it's a little bit overrated. I saw Dark Knight in one of the regular IMAX theaters but I can't really remember how it would have been that different from Iron-Man that I saw in a normal theater.
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

I like them if they're in a real IMAX theater and not a licensed "IMAX Experience".

I enjoyed seeing U2 3D in IMAX, but that was a special case. Otherwise, I can't stand watching an actual narrative movie in that format.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    If a movie I really want to see has scenes actually SHOT in IMAX (a la The Dark Knight) I may pay the extra for the experience. If it's a standard film just blown up to IMAX size, then I'd rather save my money.
    I agree about The Dark Knight since the scenes that were shot with the IMAX camera actually took up the entire screen unlike the rest of the movie. I was going to see the latest Resident Evil in IMAX(I know, I know. I find them entertaining in a guilty pleasure sort of way). I then felt I'd just pay the already increased price to see it at a regular theater in 3D. What is even a bigger waste of money is some movies(Friday the 13th & Hancock were 2 that I saw) are released on IMAX "unofficially" where they are just stretched out on the screen.

I'm now of the opinion that the only time I'm going to see an IMAX movie is if it is an exclusive IMAX movie(one of those nature documentaries), actually shot or partially shot with an IMAX camera(The Dark Knight), or is in 3D on the IMAX version only(some of the Harry Potter movies & Superman Returns). Everything else, imho, is a waste of time & money.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I like them if they're in a real IMAX theater and not a licensed "IMAX Experience".

since imax is canadian I don't think any of our imax thatres are imax experience. that being said I LOVE IMAX!
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 24, 2010 at 04:32pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure