Thread: Anime - The Mega Thread

Anime - The Mega Thread

So with the recent Dragonball Z Kai thread and because I love anime (which is no shock I bet) I got to wondering, what is everyones view on anime?

What shows do you like or dislike?

What movies do you watch?

Do you like live action adaptions or would you like them?

Basically if it is about anime I wanna know

Still I guess I should make a start.. so I will answer those questions I posed (but don't limit yourself to them)

Shows I like would be -

Naruto / Shippuden,
    One Piece,
    Dragonball / Z / GT,
    Big O,
    Pokemon,
    Digimon,
    First of the North Star,
    Death Note,
    Tokyo Underground,
    Elfen Lied,
    Neon Genesis Evangelion,
    Blood +
    and Bleach.

There are others i like but those I would say are my faves while others I merely watch.

Shows I don't like - actually I can only think of one at the moment and that is Cowboy Bepop. Sure I know it has a LOT of fans but I just never found it interesting

Movies I like would be the Naruto, One Piece and Dragonball ones (of course) as well as great movies such as Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Blood, Howls Moving Castle, Paprika, Perfect Blue, Princess Monoke, The Cat Returns and Final Fantasy Advent Children.

Live Action, well the only ones I can think of at the moment is Death Note and that kicked ass and Dragonball Evolution which didn't...lol. Still I would love to see more live action Anime (if anyone knows of any please feel free to recommend).

As to why I like anime...well it is a lot of reasons. One of them is that unlike a lot of western animation (especially super hero shows) animes tend to really make you think. I mean western animation is good but everything in them is so clear cut, the good guy is the good guy and the villain is the villain. Shows like Death Note and Elfen Lied really make you think about right and wrong and question what you would do in those cases.

Take Light Yagami from Death Note for example: Is he a villain because he is killing people or is he a hero because he is killing criminals to make a better world? You don't really see that kind of character in american toons cuz heroes usually just don't kill. Notice I said usually because there are exceptions

Also most of the action scenes (as well as the animation in general) in a lot of anime blows a lot of the action scenes from cartoons like Justice League out of the water due to sheer awesomeness.

So ya that is a bit about me and anime..I know there are anime fans on here so lets hear what you have to say
    Last edited by wolfsfang; June 23, 2010 at 11:45pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    You need to see Berserk and experience the greatest anime story ever told.

Do it now.

Has anyone seen Kekkaishi? What's it about, is it good? I've been considering watching it once I finish Saint Seiya.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Hmm I will have to add Beserk to my list of animes I need to watch (along with Claymore and Code Greass).

As for Kekkaishi, that is another I have been meaning to take a look at as I have heard good things about it and it seems to have a lot of great action (looking at clips on youtube)

One thing I don't get is why people say they don't like anime. That is like saying you don't like movies. I mean fine say you don't like anime about giant robots or ninjas or something, but saying you don't like anime is a bit silly when you consider the vast amount of different animes there are availiable and they all don't look or even feel the same.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; June 24, 2010 at 02:37pm.

I like:

Ah! My Goddess!
    Big O
    Inu-Yasha
    Sailor Moon

Movies:

Akira
    Princess Mononoke
    Golgo 13
    Ghost in the Shell
    Last edited by Mirage; July 1, 2010 at 05:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Hmm I will have to add Beserk to my list of animes I need to watch (along with Claymore and Code Greass).

As for Kekkaishi, that is another I have been meaning to take a look at as I have heard good things about it and it seems to have a lot of great action (looking at clips on youtube)

One thing I don't get is why people say they don't like anime. That is like saying you don't like movies. I mean fine say you don't like anime about giant robots or ninjas or something, but saying you don't like anime is a bit silly when you consider the vast amount of different animes there are availiable and they all don't look or even feel the same.
    I've been wanting to watch Claymore too. I've seen Code Geass. R2 is a little bit better than R1 because you have a better understanding of what's going on but R1 kindo f has the better plot.

As far as people saying they don't like anime, I don't get it either. I'm not too picky about my anime, but I hate the robot stuff, it's just not my thing so I avoid it. There were a few exceptions like Evangelion which I loved.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Some good choices there mirage...tho I can't agree with Golgo 13. I got the dvd as part of some anime collection thing and I have to admit I found it awful. But that is just my opinion and if you like it...great

The funny thing about some people who say they don't like anime is that they do like stuff that is either heavily influenced by anime or really is anime (if you stop and think about it). Shows like MYP MOTU (which we all agree is heavily influenced by anime) or Thudercats and SilverHawks which are not only very much like anime...but part of the animation team responsible for both went off to form Studio Ghibli, a studio any anime fan should instantly recognise. Even Transformers which many see as a great american toon was basically an anime as it was animated in Japan and based on Japanese toys

I'll start with your questions:

What shows do you like or dislike?

- Cowboy Bebop
    - The Slayers series and movies
    - Kino's Journey
    - Gurren Lagann
    - Excel Saga
    - Ghost Stories (hilarious dubbed version)
    - Ghost in the Shell: SAC
    - Full Metal Alchemist
    - Big O
    - Gundam 8th MS Team
    - Fooly Cooly
    - Solti Rei
    - Outlaw Star
    - Trigun

What movies do you watch?

- Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    - Nausicaa of the Vally of the Wind (though the Warriors of the Wind version cut a lot out, I still think Lord Yupa had one of the best lines ever in that old dub.)
    - Beautiful Dreamer
    - Castle of Cagliostro
    - Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movie
    - Memories

There's probably more, but I've stretched by memory thin.

Do you like live action adaptions or would you like them?
    Not generally, no. The reason I like the anime that I do is because I love animation in general. I think it's a much better option for many of the ridiculous things that happen, and when they try to adapt it to live action they either A.) dumb it down because you can't do that stuff as well in live action (and if you dumb down what makes it popular, then why are you even doing it?) or B.) They don't dumb it down, and it just looks terrible because it's friggin' animation, and it won't look as good in live action.

So I'm mostly against it, though, that's not to say that it doesn't work sometimes. Movies are starting to get the right idea, and stuff like Scott Pilgrim will hopefully raise the bar when it comes to ridiculous live action fighting.

Beyond the questions: Anime gripped by like any kid around the time. Started with late night stuff on Sci-Fi (Beautiful Dreamer being my first movie) and moved on with Toonami on Cartoon Network with stuff like DBZ, Gundam Wing, and the like. Adult Swim would add other favorites like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, etc. I moved further as friends of mine would buy up whatever they could, and I got to see a lot of different stuff. My interest has wained since then, because I realized that anime isn't the end-all-be-all of animation. So, while there are plenty of anime that I love and I will acknowledge that time in my life, I gotta say that i'm much more of a fan of animation as a whole, rather than just japanese animation (epesically since I've seen enough of it to get tired of many of the cliches....).
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Even Transformers which many see as a great american toon was basically an anime as it was animated in Japan and based on Japanese toys
    I gotta disagree with you there. I love anime and have been a big fan of the genre since the early 90s but my one biggest pet peeve is when people, whether misinformed or just assuming, say that Transformers is Japanese. It's not and for some reason it's one of the few topics that can really get me going (I don't know why honestly lol)

Transformers was comprised of two separate toy lines that originated in Japan that had nothing to do with one another and were just being sold as toys with no story and no set up other than being transformable vehicles/objects. Marvel comics made a deal with Hasbro to import both toy lines and release them to an American audience exclusively as one all encompassing line at first. It was Marvel comics that then chose which toys were heroes and which were the villains, the names, the story lines, the designs (though originating from the toys look, they were still changed), and the general structure of the entire universe the Transformers lived in. They outsourced the animation rights to Japan, but saying that since Japan animated the Transformers it counts as anime is like you're saying because Korea animates Futurama that that show is Korean; which it isn't. Hell, GI Joe and Thundercats and Silverhawks were outsourced to Japan and no one calls them animes (unless they're being real dumb lol)

Anywho, definitely check out Berserk. Claymore is very good imo but the ending is so rushed because it's a pretty short manga that's still being written and there wasn't really a way to end the anime without just finishing it off with an original story. The Golgo 13 anime is pretty good, but it's the new series that should be seen and not the older OVAs (which were pretty lame).

Right now the only animes I'm collecting are the Dragonball Z Dragonbox sets and soon the Fist of the North Star tv series (it's released in a couple of weeks finally). Golgo 13 should be cool (I've only finished 14 episodes outta the entire 52 episode run), still waiting for Macross Frontier in some way (though I doubt it), and I'm really excited about the news of Vampire Hunter D being turned into an anime series soon.
    Last edited by The.Idea.of.Evil; June 24, 2010 at 08:23pm.

actually didn't mean to say Trasnformers was Japanese just that it was animated in Japan and the look of it is very anime-like so it basically is anime. It is still really an american show it is just one that is VERY anime like...so anime like that it pretty much is anime.

Avatar - The Last Airbender is pretty much the same. An american show that is so anime like...it basically is anime
    Last edited by wolfsfang; June 24, 2010 at 08:25pm.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Gonna jump in here real quick and say I'm looking forward to the next episode of Naruto Shippuden. Pain's in for an ass kicking. I'd say more, but I'm a little busy at the moment.

Ya I can't wait either. If you have read the manga then you will know Naruto is about to take his Kyuubi form further than it has gone before...and then take it even further.

now for a bit of fun

Rock Lee (Naruto)

VS

Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

who wins?

Personally I would have to go with Luffy. Sure Lee is strong and fast and can become stronger and faster by opening the gates or by removing his weights but Luffy is just as fast and probaly even moreso when he goes into second gear plus he is immensely strong, probably stronger than even Tsunade (agan even moreso when he goes into second or third gear). Oh and the final decider for me... Lee is all about punches and kicks (and he does it awesomely) but Luffy is made of rubber so those attacks don't work so well on him
    Last edited by wolfsfang; June 25, 2010 at 08:39am.

Lycan
    I loved anime when the Manga video label launched and started releasing all the adults only titles almost 20 years ago. I used to pick up a video almost every week
    I think I started losing interest a bit when it became a big trend with the kids and just became mainstream. But I was a fan of Dragonball already because of its connections to the legend of the Monkey King. One day im going to try watch that series through. I still need to pick up the origional dragonball box sets (not Z/GT)

I still love some of the old favorites from all over the genre like The Guyver, Fist, Tenchi Muyo and even Urotsukidoji

Vampire Hunter D as a series should be cool, I'll look forward to that one.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Ya The Guyver is cool. I even liked the silly live action ones with the Power Ranger-esque rubber villains (I actually watched the first one just a few days ago).

Oh and I find it amazing that a lot of people don't realise the original dragonball is basically the Monkey King

Dragonballs = Scrolls
    Bulma = Tripitaka
    Oolong = Pigsy
    Yamcha = Sandy
    Goku = Monkey King (whose Japanese name is Son Goku)

Then DBZ came along and it basically turned into a huge (and awesome) slug fest that had nothing to do with Journey to the West

I love anime/manga.
    I got into it with Dragon Ball/Z. Have all the 42 volumes in german translation. Big fan.

Shows I like are (in no specific order):
    DB/Z (haven't seen much of GT)
    One Piece
    Naruto
    Slayers
    Tenchi Muyo (Universe mostly. The OVA just got to crazy and confusing in the 3d series, plus Universe has Kiyone, one of my fave characters)
    Digimon (season 1 mostly. not too crazy about the others)
    Secret of Blue Water
    Robin Hood no Daibouken (yes, Japan made a Robin Hood anime back in 1990-92. Loved this show as a kid)
    Sailor Moon
    Kaiketsu Zorro (yes there's even a Zorro anime)
    Anime Sanjushi (Anime Three Musketeers (yet another anime adaptation))

When it comes to movies, I mostly watch movies that are based on the TV shows, but I did see Miyazaki's Spirited Away, which I own on DVD.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

in no particular order....

soul eater
    s-cry-ed
    flcl
    beck:mongolian chop squad
    gaogaigar
    might gaine
    machine robo
    gurren lagann
    guyver
    db,dbz,dbgt, and i guess dbzk now
    transformers victory, zone, headmaster, and masterforce
    and if it counts... afro samurai

akira
    memories
    steamboy
    final fantasy vii: advent children
    spirited away
    tekkonkinkreet

i think that's everything i have. i don't have cable/satellite so if i can't watch it through hulu, youtube, or online in general i haven't seen it. no place around here rents anime either so that sucks too.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Ya that does suck, lucily anime is pretty easy to get where I live. There are several stores that stock anime stuff such as HMV, Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man so I guess I am just lucky that way. I even know a store called "AnimeZ" that stocks anime figures and collectibles and is a favourite haunt of mine (they also do stuff from Marvel and sci-fi films)

Plus I watch stuff online

oh and simply cuz I really like this AMV

Last edited by wolfsfang; June 26, 2010 at 12:02am.

I like some anime but I’m not a die hard fan. I mostly like 80’s and 90’s Mecha. My favorites being:

Transformers: Headmasters
    Transformers: Super God Masterforce
    Transformers: Victory
    Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
    Macross 7
    Brave of the Sun Fighbird
    Super Beast Machine God Dancougar
    After War Gundam X

Any .org peeps going to Anime Expo in LA this week?

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    After War Gundam X
    Ah, that show rocked! It's too bad the show originaly cameo out at the same time as Evangelion, so it never really got recognition. Barely any toys, and honestly, you never hear anyone talk about it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Poody View Post
    Any .org peeps going to Anime Expo in LA this week?
    Oh man I would love to go to that.

If only I lived in america

or didn't have a phobia of planes

or a phobia of crowds

darn it

Heroic Warrior
    Shows I like:

Yu Yu Hakusho
    Yu-Gi-Oh! (original & 5D's)
    Dragon Ball Z/GT
    Rune Soldier
    Fate Stay Night
    Wolf's Rain
    Knight Hunters
    Teknoman
    Speed Racer
    Astro Boy
    Transformers
    Gatchman
    Saint Seiya

Movies I watch:

any DBZ ones
    Vampire Hunter D (both of them)
    Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Movie
    Metropolis
    Yu Yu Hakusho: Poltergeist Report

As for the live-action adaptations, it would depend on the movie. I like ones like Speed Racer & Dragonball: Evolution, but there are some that don't hold my interest. Basically, I'd have to know something about the anime it's based on before I can pass judgment.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama, Yu Yu Hakusho

"To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi, Yu-Gi-Oh

Ok it is Manga and not Anime but this is my thread so I can talk about this if I want to.

I recently finished reading O-Part Hunter aka 666 Satan which I had been meaning to do for some time and I seriously want to cry...why did it have to end?

The fact that this was never made into an anime is nothing short of an outrage.

Oh also I am happy to report that my "Megahouse - One Piece: Portrait of Pirates - Strong Edition - Monkey D. Luffy Figure " arrived today