Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit needs a new director

The Hobbit needs a new director

Looks like Del Toro has left the Hobbit. It looks to me more and more like this movie will never happen

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...ts-the-hobbit/

I hope that Jackson just says the hell with it and takes up the reigns himself. I think that part of the reason that he doesn't/didn't tho is because people will always compare "The Hobbit" to the other three and thats practically an un-winnable battle. I have no idea, but maybe the guy has a bit of an ego and he doesn't want anything tarnished or compared. Look at what happened to Lucas.

Maybe theres a bunch of other reasons involved to why he doesn't want to do it, but I've always wondered why wouldn't he as well...

Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject as I'll admit I haven't been following it all that close over the years.

Unbelievable. As extremely nerdy as it sounds when dealing with MS I often focus of things in the future I look forward to keep pushing on. This was #1. They have to stop screwing around. Ian is 70, there is no other Gandalf period, plus he is playing a "younger" version of himself. I really hope PJ steps in.

I'm very sad about the movie losing Del Toro, but it's not surprising given the delays that have been hitting the production lately. I really hope PJ doesn't tackle it himself though. The Hobbit has such a radically different tone from the Lord of the Rings, that I always felt it would be served very well by having a different helmer and vision behind it.

It be funny if raimi ended up coming back since Spiderman dumped him. That be a weird twist of fate having 3 greatest modern day directors bring life to the hobbit

Trying to think who would be a good replacement. Names I can come up with:

Alfonso Cuaron
    Tim Burton
    Sam Raimi
    James Cameron (could be interesting, but will NEVER happen)
    Michael Bay (just kidding)
    Ridley Scott (doesn't seem likely, but maybe he'd have a bug to return to a genre he worked on with Legend)
    Frank Oz (his time with working with Jim Henson would seem to make him ideal)
    Stephen Spielberg (with Tintin, he already has a working relationship with PJ)

I also don't have much hope of this happening. After the delay, I figured Del Toro holding on was the only good sign, and now he's gone.

As far as replacements, I'd hope for Jackson himself. I could also see Alfonso Cauron or Gore Verbinski. I'm sorry King Tyhco, but I would not want Tim Burton, Sam Raimi, or Ridley Scott to direct because I don't think any of their styles would jive with the original movies. It's more important that whoever does it can work well with Jackson and try to keep the Hobbit films stylistically in sync with LOTR. Oz might work if he's got it in him. I don't know about Spielberg, I'd have to see what comes from his collaboration with Jackson in the Tin Tin movies.

I am thinking he will maybe ask the guy who did District 9. Everything in in place here. The story is ready and all designs are done. They just need the whole MGM fiasco to end. Jackson worked with Neil and i see Peter going to an unknown for Ivan Kerhsner is an example how well an unknown or non famous director can give one of the greatest films of all time

Hmmm, Gore Verbinski. Could be interesting. I had another though too, Terry Gilliam could have an interesting potential. If he actually did it, it would probably stray a bit stylistically from the LOTR films, but givin the difference in tone between the books, I still think that might be a good idea.

McG!!! McG!!! He did such a wonderful job with Terminator Salvation!
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Peter Jackson MAY direct the Hobbit! That would be wonderful!
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...-direct-Hobbit
    I love He-Man.org!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    That's the best thing that can happen IMO. I don't care who else even comes to mind as I just don't see them having the kind of vision or knowledge of how it should/could be done other then PJ. Hopefully he's somehow able to work it around his schedule.

I'll take a PJ's Hobbit regardless of the result any day rather then an adaption by someone else, forever wondering if it could of been better and what would it of been like if PJ was at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    This article says things like "if a suitable person could not be found" and "if it becomes the only way" and "If that's what I have to do".

These aren't the words of someone who has his heart in it, and I don't want to see a Hobbit movie made by someone who doesn't have the passion anymore, even if it is Peter Jackson.

Oh man that would be awesome! It sounds like alot pressure is on between these two movies to be more epic. Avid Hobbit readers should brace for that possibility.

This is from CNN:

So who could take Del Toro's place? Not Jackson. "As for Peter directing," writes Kamins from New Zealand, "that's not something he can consider at this time as he has other commitments to other projects. But make no mistake, Peter and Fran's commitment to the franchise is total and will do everything necessary to protect the films and the investment made by New Line, Warner Bros. and MGM." (Studio reps have not responded to requests for comment.)

Kamins says execs from New Line and Warner Bros. will be meeting with him, Jackson and Walsh this week to hammer out who will take on the job of directing "The Hobbit."
    (full article)

If no one wants to do it, maybe I can do it?

This is indeed a shame as I always preferred the Hobbit story to Lord of the Rings and I am really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. Now I would love it of PJ did direct it so that it fitted in with his LOTR movies but as King Tycho says the fact that his heart doesn't seem to be in it in regards to directing the movie that he may actually hurt the movie if he ends up directing it as it may be done in a half assed manner, even if that is not what he intends
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    This article says things like "if a suitable person could not be found" and "if it becomes the only way" and "If that's what I have to do".

These aren't the words of someone who has his heart in it, and I don't want to see a Hobbit movie made by someone who doesn't have the passion anymore, even if it is Peter Jackson.
    That's why I put "MAY" in my statement. I don't believe PJ is the kind of person who would want a sub par product, especially for this franchaise. If his heart isn't in it, then I don't believe he will do it either. From what I've seen from the special features of LOTR alone, he's an absolute perfectionist.
    I love He-Man.org!!!

This movie just fell off of my radar.
    "I've got a behind, it's super heroic, and I'm about to shake it!"

I don't think Peter Jackson would do a subpar job because his heart isn't in it, but because he was so utterly worn out on the first Lord of the Rings, and then was completely worn down by King Kong, to the point he had to have some people come in to help him direct because his body was shot and giving out on him.

Even though it's been several years, I'm not sure he could make his body go through that kind of grueling schedule again, especially for TWO movies back to back. That's almost like doing LotR all over again. He's said before that he was worn out by those movies and isn't sure he could go through that again, and it just doesn't have anything to do with lack of trying.

While I would love to see him do this, I was really looking forward to Del Toro's interpretation.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Since Del Toro isn't doing the Hobbit anymore maybe there's a chance for Hellboy 3 to be made *crosses fingers*.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

I hope not. I loved the first 2 Hellboy films but lets face it number 3s are never that good are they? Quit while they are ahead I say.

As for the Hobbit, just to get back on track. I have a feeling this will probably end up in development hell for a while and should be released just in time for me to watch it on my 392nd birthday
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I would kill to see a Hellboy 3, but from what i've heard Del Toro and Mike Mignola had kindof...... a falling out over what direction to take the character.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    It's too bad Del Toro is no longer on the project -- though to his credit he did stick with the project over two years and has only left because he could never get the go ahead for filming.

Although now that Del Toro is free, perhaps he might take on the new Godzilla movie over at Legendary Pictures; if wishes were horses as they say...

Just found this. I don't know. He's a mixed bag to me. I thought Half Blood Prince was really good, but Order of the Phoenix was horrible. PLus, he won't have his schedule clear for a while. I think he might make the films seem a bit more personal in scope though, which fits the tone of the Hobbit nicely.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/14/...or-the-hobbit/

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    Just found this. I don't know. He's a mixed bag to me. I thought Half Blood Prince was really good, but Order of the Phoenix was horrible. PLus, he won't have his schedule clear for a while. I think he might make the films seem a bit more personal in scope though, which fits the tone of the Hobbit nicely.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/14/...or-the-hobbit/
    David Yates? Please Primus, no. He did neither of the last two Potter films any justice. Talk about hack and slash directing. There was far too much missing, especially Half-Blood Prince. Kreacher and Dobby should have been used and Dumbledore's funeral should have been shown, just to name a few.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor