Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Niki's POP/MOTU Fan Art Thread

I really love the belt and the sleeves and love that you included her staff too. I've gotta' agree with JafariStew, that I do think a dress/skirt is better on Drissi, not that what you did looks bad, but I feel like it's more character-appropriate. Just my opinion.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Drissi should have a skirt imho. She's the girly girl in the NA Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I really love the belt and the sleeves and love that you included her staff too. I've gotta' agree with JafariStew, that I do think a dress/skirt is better on Drissi, not that what you did looks bad, but I feel like it's more character-appropriate. Just my opinion.

Now thatīs difficult, i have the feeling my decision is right but both of you think iīm wrong.

Maybe iīll try the skirt/dress for her, i canīt promise iīll do but iīm gonna consider

Thanks for your honest opinions.

It's your piece, so you should do it however you want to. We just disagree on that aspect. Doesn't mean I don't think you're any less brilliant.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Jewelstar

Jewelstar

Itīs the right timing as the Star Sisters were trademarked today and i finished my favorite Star Sister.

Itīs hard to really find much about them, I assume she is the youngest, i only know she can transform herself into a gem but i donīt know much about her personality.

So if someone knows more please let me know.

I wanted to keep her a lot more toy accurate then Filmation did, all though i took some of their ideas and improved her a bit. I love that her armor makes her translucent or is it her power to become translucent, too...

You see a lot of questions...!

Anyway, i donīt know why but i loved her toy face even tough i know itīs not much different than any other but for me itīs a bit rounder and friendlier than some others. Speaking of roundness, i avoided any curves or roundness with her, she is a living jewel/diamond/quarz so i tried to make her more square but still flowing in a way.
    I couldnīt resist and gave her a little star on the cheek very Rainbow Bright i know but i simply thought it fits and looking at Gbagok drawings of the Star Sisters iīm not the only one who think so. Rainbow Bright rules

First i didnīt give her her cape but the cape is actually a nice idea so in the end she got it back.
    Last edited by Niki; March 28, 2011 at 09:12pm.

Your Jewelstar is absolutely MAJESTIC!!!! Tremendous1 I love the sheer fabric.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Your Jewelstar is absolutely MAJESTIC!!!! Tremendous1 I love the sheer fabric.
    Thank you, i thought the cape would be to much for the picture but i was surprised how good it fits.

The guys from Mattel knew what they were doing back in the days when they designed her!
    I really think she is a great idea and i hope now in MOTUC theyīll pick her and her sisters up and use them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Thank you, i thought the cape would be to much for the picture but i was surprised how good it fits.

The guys from Mattel knew what they were doing back in the days when they designed her!
    I really think she is a great idea and i hope now in MOTUC theyīll pick her and her sisters up and use them properly.
    all three of the Star Sister's plus the term "Star Sisters" have just been trademarked with Mattel. I'd say they're a guarentee at some point in the MOTUC line!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

TALLSTAR

I`m still trying to find more informations about the Star Sisters, i know know they were trapped and were rescued by She-Ra, they seem to be quite powerful but all their powers seem to be now match for a mysterious witch who trapped them and send them far away.

If this witch is Catra or not is to be seen in the future....but back to the topic:

Tallstar

She was quite a task for me, looking closely at the prototype pictures i found in the Internet she is a nice looking figure except for her neck, it reminded me of one of those jumping jack in the box puppets and i didnīt like that, so i tried to avoid that look.

Her hair has those shining streaks, i kept those as i think they are great and i love her silver shiny armor i extended that a bit, simply because i love the fact that Jewelstar is the chrystal one, Tallstar is the silver one and Starla is the golden one.

Those glittery pants on the other hand arenīt that practical if you ask me but with out, as Filmation portrait her, she looks to simply beside her sisters so i tried to give them a more stiff look, like razor blades.

With Jewelstar i forgot the Star staff(me so sorry...) all three of them came with. Tallstars is the same but i decided to make it much longer so she really could use it as a fighting stick too.

And again i couldnīt resist the Rainbow Bright star but this time i put it next to her eye and it was really funny seeing these little stars on Gbagoks Star Sisters too, all though there is none at Starla picture...

And last but not least her boots i sticked to the toy boots, those platform boots are so her, if you ask me, everything that makes her even taller is great!!!
    Last edited by Niki; April 1, 2011 at 09:05am.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Oh Star Sisters! Sooo sparkly and glittery. You just made them fantastically illuminating! Can't wait to see your take on Starla!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Quote Originally Posted by GrtEternal View Post
    Oh Star Sisters! Sooo sparkly and glittery. You just made them fantastically illuminating! Can't wait to see your take on Starla!
    Thank you and iīm glad you see it like me, they are living stars for me so i think they deserve to shine!

And her she comes the last Star Sister, the Golden Girl:

STARLA

Recreating Starla was difficult for me, she is very easy to the eye and that was my problem. I worked a lot to give her that easy going, good person look she had on the Star Sister drawings i found and i hated her Filmation look(What happend to her staff there?) she looked boring and she can be everything if you ask me but boring she is so not!

The skirt her prototype is wearing is way to fluffy for me so i thought what was their intention and came up with something different but from a designers view a quite similar skirt backpack combo. For a change i simply chose pants and a shirt underneath the the backpack combo

She has so much hair on that prototype so i tried to give that justice while not looking to much or stupid.

And last but not least the Rainbow Bright star but this time above the left eye, creativity is everything
    Last edited by Niki; April 4, 2011 at 01:22pm.

AWESOME! Your Starla is just plainly awesome!

Love the combination of the colors. And you made her pleasing to the eyes. Not too vibrant that it can hurt to look at, and not too prissy either. Just perfect!

- Clarke's Third Law

AWESOME! Your Starla is just plainly awesome!

Love the combination of the colors. And you made her pleasing to the eyes. Not too vibrant that it can hurt to look at, and not too prissy either. Just perfect!
    Thank you very much, the combination of the colors is more or less all from the prototype instead of gold i chose orange, with her yellow shiny hair and the yellow shirt orange seemed the obvious choice.

Iīm working on a combination of the three together on one picture right now, wish me luck and inspiration

The Star Sisters

When i started with Jewelstar i thought of putting the three together and so i posed them with Jewelstar in the middle and flying above them, i donīt know why but i imagend her flying ever since and than i put Tallstar to her left and Starla to her right...

BUT even with that in mind i had a hard time finding a good picture with all of them not hiding each other to much or being to far apart.

Seeing them together on one picture just shows how different those three are but still having some similarities.

It was a lot of fun drawing those three

I LOVE your Star Sisters!!! I love the assymetrical elements you have going on with Starla and Tallstar. I love the picture of all three of them - so dynamic!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

I LOVE your Star Sisters!!! I love the assymetrical elements you have going on with Starla and Tallstar. I love the picture of all three of them - so dynamic!
    Thank you, even Jewelstar has her assymetrical elements, like her headpiece.

An das i said putting them together was way more difficult than expected

And finally i managed to do the much needed re work on my favorite POP character:

PEEKABLUE

She was the first character i put online here almost a year ago and since than a lot has changed and so has she.

I sticked to my original sketch of course but i added a totally new weapon which i think fits perfectly to her character. A crossbow. Itīs light and easy to carry around but with her powers she can see her enemy from a far and with her additional forsight powers she even knows if she hits the target

Her hair is still very Filmation like, i tried to make it longer but in the end i kept it as it were. It was a great decision back than and still is.

The feathers are much more toy accurate now and iīm glad i changed that.

Save for the hairstyle, I think the action figure design of Peekablue is superior to the Filmation design. I think she's the only one that I feel that way about. I ADORE the colors on this Peekablue, and I think the crossbow that you designed is so beautiful and creative!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Here is something totally new:

Iīm calling her OYSTAR she is a weird character from a german PRINCESS OF POWER catalog, who looks like no character ever existed.

She sits besides She-Ra in the famous Bubble Carriage, who never made it into toy form.

There is thread about her in the classics forum:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=207071

And there i had the idea to make a drawing of her but as she is not a existing character i decided to invent a version for myself!

OYSTAR

She is a distant relative of the Star Sisters and ever since she heard their story for the first time as a child, she wanted to find them and help them finding a way home.

Her homeworld is covered to 70% in water so her waterbased powers arenīt that special there but she developed a special bond with Oysters, as she always had been a curious person. There is no secret she isnīt interessted in solving. Oysters are perfect in keeping their pearls a secret and their shells are their best weapon to keep that secret.

She can breath underwater and is able to turn her skin as hard as oyster shells and the back of her hands get as sharp as the back of shells as well. She can cut threw steel to defend herself she shoots pearls out of her hands, if neccesary hundreds at a time.

When she was old enoughto own her own chrystal staff she left her homeworld, looking for clues for the famous Star Sisters but in the end it was luck that brought her to Etheria she heard from a mysterious Castle made out of chrystals and with even a a water fall made out of the same material. She simple had to see that.

She would never admit it but she missed the sea, the creatures and a castle made of chrystals are the closest things of home, she can think of.

She spend months on Etheria looking for that castle, trying to avoid the Horde and the Rebellion, she thought their fight has nothing to do with her but one day she saw a light, a light so familiar as if it would shine in her as well. She followed the feeling and there she found the Star Sisters.

She still hasnīt found the Chrystal Castle but Starla, Tallstar and Jewelstar showed her helping others makes you a better person and that makes your own light shine even brigther.

In Mermista she has found a great friend and Etheria has become her second home.
    Her curiosity makes her a bit of an outsider from the inner circle of the Rebellion, Chrystal Castle has to stay a secret but she is determind to find it!

Save for the hairstyle, I think the action figure design of Peekablue is superior to the Filmation design. I think she's the only one that I feel that way about. I ADORE the colors on this Peekablue, and I think the crossbow that you designed is so beautiful and creative!

I had to think about the hairstyle and i gave Peekablue her action figure hairdo and i like that as well:

Last edited by Niki; July 4, 2011 at 08:06pm.

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    It's very pretty and I am a huge fan of your concepts, I think it's so cool that we both thought to give her a cross bow too.
    My design was based on her character being a bit more goddess styled.
    I was inspired by the amazons in the old Wonder Woman TV show.

Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond the legends View Post
    It's very pretty and I am a huge fan of your concepts, I think it's so cool that we both thought to give her a cross bow too.
    My design was based on her character being a bit more goddess styled.
    I was inspired by the amazons in the old Wonder Woman TV show.
    Thank you and i loved the Wonder Woman TV show as a kid.

Iīm not surprised that you chose a crossbow as well it is an obvious choice for me

I really love your details and variations possibility. You are very talented and creative my favorite of all your designs is Mermista!

I love Oystar! What a beautiful job you did on her! I love the pearls on her.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Oh man!

Your designs are getting better and better. Love Oystar! She looks amazing. The brown skirt just jumps on you and yet, fits quite well in her entire outfit. I kinda imagine her powers similar to Sailor Mercury of the Sailor Moon anime.

I also love the way you put the star jewelry's locations on the Star Sisters' faces. Sort of like indicating where thier powers lie, sort of. Starla's on her forehead since her powers indicate she's psychic. TallStar's next to her eye, since when she gets tall, she get's a better vantage point. And then JewelStar. Her's looks like a tear. A crystalline tear!

Yeah, I'm streching it a bit, but somehow, that's how I see why the stars are located like that somehow.

Ok, I finally had time to re-look all the re-designs you've created and I can actually fully comment on some of the characters I missed or just made a quick look on.

Frosta. I like her hair and icy outfit. The way you made her bodice is cool too. It reminds me of an iceberg. Like the shawl, but not much on the cape. Love your take on her skirt. Giving her more colors, different shading that just jumps on you.

Entrapta is awesome. Although, I miss her skirt but I like how you did the gold. Strong, bright colors on her braids as well. Makes her look formidable.

Shadow Weaver! Love your take on her robe. It's very flowing and elegant. Love the different red shading. Makes the classic look a little bland. The hood is awesome too. It just works on her, especially with the cape like that!

Flutterina's awesome. Like how you did her hair. Very flowing. Love her colors. Awesome how you do different shadings of the same color. Her weapons made her someone you shouldn't messed with, and that just added 100 on her coolness factor! Love your take on her wings. You made her look real.

Sea Hawk is soooo debonairre. Like Errol Flynn of the classic Robin Hood movie. He has that egotistic and yet honorable look on him. The colors don't clash either.

Oh Perfuma. How have you snared me? Let's see... Love the way the colors faded from pink to green on her top. Love how you made the petals look "alive". Can you re-draw her with an open flower? Only if you have time.

Adora feels like it's simple and yet classic. Adding a hair band made her look gentler.

Mermista's design made her look warrior-like. Love your take on her armor. Made it feel battle-worthy. Love how you did her hair. Again with that different shading. It just makes her more awesome.

Sweet Bee is cool. Love your design on her breastplate. Not sure about the haircut much, but it actually suits her somehow. The Meg Ryan style does fit her well! I actually like Meg Ryan. I think she has one of the cutest smiles in Hollywood.

Angella is just tremendously, well.... angelic. Love her pose and her outfit. You kept her classic toy look and not making her look like wearing pajamas. I just dislike those pantaloons on her action figure. Mattel could have done better.

Spinnerella is one of the most outstanding re-design of your's, IMO. She is a dancer and you made her as that. Not sure about the barefoot thing, but I like how you re-imagined her ribbons. I always loved her colors and I like how you mixed it on her skirt and hair. Her approach reminds me of Esmeralda. The gypsy princess from Disney's version of The Hunchback of Notre Damme.

Ok, Glimmer. Not much anyone can do about her. She's a simple designed character. I like her toy costume more than her Filmation counterpart which kinda look well, too simple. Like the way you did the hair. All frilly and shaded colorfully.

Love your re-redesign of Peekablue. Awesome crossbow. Fits her perfectly. I think I like this one better than your first try. Guessing because of the detail on her feathers.

About the NA characters, well, I'm not that familiar with 'em since I hated that series. But as how you drew 'em, I like your Crissy the most. Not sure why, but I just like how she looks.

Kritta is the bad girl, that much I know, but I've only seen her in the background everytime I switch channels.

Not that familiar with Mara other than she has a prototype figure that was not release and the only other Mara I know, hangs out with Blackstar!

But artwise, They're cool.
    Last edited by GrtEternal; July 3, 2011 at 04:40am.

- Clarke's Third Law

I love Oystar! What a beautiful job you did on her! I love the pearls on her.
    Thank you, i just had to do a version of her ever since i saw that thread, iīm actually not totally happy with her and those pearls gave me a hard time so iīm really happy you like them!!!!

I added some new shadings to her and some shadows minor changes but iīm happier for now.

It was though for me to invent a bio for her, iīm not that good with things like that

Oh man!

Your designs are getting better and better. Love Oystar! She looks amazing. The brown skirt just jumps on you and yet, fits quite well in her entire outfit. I kinda imagine her powers similar to Sailor Mercury of the Sailor Moon anime.

I also love the way you put the star jewelry's locations on the Star Sisters' faces. Sort of like indicating where thier powers lie, sort of. Starla's on her forehead since her powers indicate she's psychic. TallStar's next to her eye, since when she gets tall, she get's a better vantage point. And then JewelStar. Her's looks like a tear. A crystalline tear!

Yeah, I'm streching it a bit, but somehow, that's how I see why the stars are located like that somehow.

Ok, I finally had time to re-look all the re-designs you've created and I can actually fully comment on some of the characters I missed or just made a quick look on.

Frosta. I like her hair and icy outfit. The way you made her bodice is cool too. It reminds me of an iceberg. Like the shawl, but not much on the cape. Love your take on her skirt. Giving her more colors, different shading that just jumps on you.

Entrapta is awesome. Although, I miss her skirt but I like how you did the gold. Strong, bright colors on her braids as well. Makes her look formidable.

Shadow Weaver! Love your take on her robe. It's very flowing and elegant. Love the different red shading. Makes the classic look a little bland. The hood is awesome too. It just works on her, especially with the cape like that!

Flutterina's awesome. Like how you did her hair. Very flowing. Love her colors. Awesome how you do different shadings of the same color. Her weapons made her someone you shouldn't messed with, and that just added 100 on her coolness factor! Love your take on her wings. You made her look real.

Sea Hawk is soooo debonairre. Like Errol Flynn of the classic Robin Hood movie. He has that egotistic and yet honorable look on him. The colors don't clash either.

Oh Perfuma. How have you snared me? Let's see... Love the way the colors faded from pink to green on her top. Love how you made the petals look "alive". Can you re-draw her with an open flower? Only if you have time.

Adora feels like it's simple and yet classic. Adding a hair band made her look gentler.

Mermista's design made her look warrior-like. Love your take on her armor. Made it feel battle-worthy. Love how you did her hair. Again with that different shading. It just makes her more awesome.

Sweet Bee is cool. Love your design on her breastplate. Not sure about the haircut much, but it actually suits her somehow. The Meg Ryan style does fit her well! I actually like Meg Ryan. I think she has one of the cutest smiles in Hollywood.

Angella is just tremendously, well.... angelic. Love her pose and her outfit. You kept her classic toy look and not making her look like wearing pajamas. I just dislike those pantaloons on her action figure. Mattel could have done better.

Spinnerella is one of the most outstanding re-design of your's, IMO. She is a dancer and you made her as that. Not sure about the barefoot thing, but I like how you re-imagined her ribbons. I always loved her colors and I like how you mixed it on her skirt and hair. Her approach reminds me of Esmeralda. The gypsy princess from Disney's version of The Hunchback of Notre Damme.

Ok, Glimmer. Not much anyone can do about her. She's a simple designed character. I like her toy costume more than her Filmation counterpart which kinda look well, too simple. Like the way you did the hair. All frilly and shaded colorfully.

Love your re-redesign of Peekablue. Awesome crossbow. Fits her perfectly. I think I like this one better than your first try. Guessing because of the detail on her feathers.

About the NA characters, well, I'm not that familiar with 'em since I hated that series. But as how you drew 'em, I like your Crissy the most. Not sure why, but I just like how she looks.

Kritta is the bad girl, that much I know, but I've only seen her in the background everytime I switch channels.

Not that familiar with Mara other than she has a prototype figure that was not release and the only other Mara I know, hangs out with Blackstar!

But artwise, They're cool.
    Oh BOY

Thank you for all your words and the time you must have spent looking at my pictures, iīm really flatterd!

Like Peekablue and Glimmer, all of my early versions need redoing as iīm learning how to make them better and i think they deserve the "better" treatment as well.

Faces in particular arenīt my strongest suit and especially Perfuma sufferd from that, when i redo her face will get extra time. Once she is "vectoriced" an open flower version isnīt that difficult so, iīll do that for you!

Seahawk was fun and i know i should do more male characters, next up on my little is is my version of Josh the mini comic character.

The be honest, i wasnīt that familiar with the NA characters myself, i saw the show but havenīt seen all the episodes and i even missed the finale back than.
    But i really liked Mara so i started with her and when i did some research, i learnd the others are as cool as she is so i simply had to take my chances on them, for Drissi i even had a little chat with Mr. Olesker. He is an awesome artist and a nice guy, he gave me a lot of insights!

And now i remember i had promised to do a skirt version of Drissy as well, i have to do that for Keveen!

The stars on the STAR Sisters, i tried different spots but in the end they ended up where i first put them. So maybe you are right thatīs the only true place for them and itīs awesome that you even thought more about them than i did

But man you got me there with Oystar, iīm a huge Sailor Moon fan but i havenīt thought of that, shame on me!!!!!!!

Thanks again for taking so much time!
    Last edited by Niki; July 4, 2011 at 08:07pm.

It was my pleasure Niki. Thank goodness it was a holiday weekend so I can stay up as late as humanly possible without anyone from my household to bother me much (till 5 AM), but it was all worth it.

Another thing I like about Oystar is those pearls or beads you put on her hair. It's just magnificent how you designed it that way. It adds homage to her aquatic abilities.

Question: How come you have not redesigned She-ra yet?

- Clarke's Third Law

It was my pleasure Niki. Thank goodness it was a holiday weekend so I can stay up as late as humanly possible without anyone from my household to bother me much (till 5 AM), but it was all worth it.

Another thing I like about Oystar is those pearls or beads you put on her hair. It's just magnificent how you designed it that way. It adds homage to her aquatic abilities.

Question: How come you have not redesigned She-ra yet?
    HA HA HA

Again, you got me there...

Iīm working on She-Ra but i havenīt found the perfect pose or look she simply deserves. She-Ra and Bow both are high on my list as well as iīm eager to do them they scare me a bit to be honest
    Last edited by Niki; July 4, 2011 at 09:01pm.

ENTRAPTA (the second time around)

Iīm trying to give all my sketches the attention the new ones got and with Peekablue i started now itīs up to

ENTRAPTA

But just like Peekablue i also improved her a little bit.

As i really like her Toy version i sticked to it but gave her an Horde armband to show where she belongs.

I gave her hair more attention than i did last time and turned up the golden factor a bit