Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Peekablue and DoubleTrouble Sketches

I love your Princess Rana re-design! I'm a big fan of the stripe motif that you added. I feel they really add a lot of visual interest to her. Nicely done!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I love your Princess Rana re-design! I'm a big fan of the stripe motif that you added. I feel they really add a lot of visual interest to her. Nicely done!
    Thanks, yes those stripes are really simple but effective, more than i expected, i have to admit.

And since Garn had them, it felt natural for me.

I think as everyone noticed iīm in my mini comics period right now and as we all know the latest mini comic has arrived so itīs only natural, iīm working on one of the female characters from there.

VEENA

The Preternian Queen made her first official MOTUC appearence and looked different than most expected.

Like others she has been "CLASSIFICED" with new colors a new skirt piece and new(Teelas) gauntlets.
    I like the new skirt and the new colors, the gauntlets... i know why they chose those but i sticked with her original ones.

I couldnīt made out her boots only saw that they are blue so i assumed they will use the Sorceress boots and so i made my own versions with those in mind.

But the biggest controversy is her color scheme. In 200X she had similar colors to Sorceress. In Filmation the Sorceress had the same color scheme(and almost the same outfit) than her predecessor. So it feels natural for me that Veena in MOTUC has the orange/white/blue scheme.

BUT i understand everyone who wants to see her in her original colors so i took the time, to color her in both schemes.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 02:28pm.

Yep - her MYP colors are SOOOOO much better. And those sleeves on the "Vintage Sorceress Colored " version are SOOOOO wrong.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Yep - her MYP colors are SOOOOO much better. And those sleeves on the "Vintage Sorceress Colored " version are SOOOOO wrong.
    In the MYP colors i like her headgear better but i have to admit i like the Vintage colors and the sleeves didnīt bother me much at all.

Itīs funny how different tastes can be

And while iīm in the middle of Mini comics and their Queens, here is another one:

THE KEX QUEEN

The Kex are insect people on Eternia and in the mini comic their queen is held captive by Beast-Man. He wants the Kexī eggs so he can build himself an even bigger army of warriors.

In the end He-Man and his friends free her and her people from Beast-Man and his beast but the Kex Queen asks He-Man if she can chase him away. What she does by using Beast-Mans own whip.

Of course i drew her with the whip and i sticked closely to her original design. I gave her dragonfly wings and added some dragonfly elements as well.
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 02:28pm.

As i said iīm in the middle of mini comic characters and i thought why not do something completely different and try my luck on:

LODAR

The very powerful villain from SLAVE CITY.

This character never really appealed to me, his design looks more like...well... hard core adult material.

All those spikes and the material looks like leather to me, he is wearing a mask which covers his entry head but his midsection is free...
    All in all weird if you ask me but iīm always willing to give strange things a chance and so i took the challenge and i think, i failed in the end but it was fun trying

i added some details and gave his skin a bit lighter tone, still purple but fairer and more vampire like. He has some asymetrical elements in his original design, so i took that and added some stuff.
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 02:29pm.

Nice job. He can hang out in my dungeon any day!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Nice job. He can hang out in my dungeon any day!
    Your own dungeon with a guy looking like that....oooooooh-kay. Now i know what iīll give you as a birthday present

I really were in a roll the last few days and so i have another mini comic character but this time iīm back in my territory:

Seer the Wizardess

She appeared in the second and the third She-Ra Princess of Power mini comics, in the first she introduced herself as Seer and in the third mini comic She-Ra told her friends the will go and pay the wise Wizardess a visit.

Both times she wore a robe but she was colored very differently.

I took a japanese angle with her but also tried to think of her as an actual person so i gave her hair but avoided feet. Maybe they are there but as she is a mystery i tried to kept her mystical.

Of course i gave her the net and the lens she assisted She-Ra with.
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 02:30pm.

She looks like she fits in on Etheria perfectly!!! I love the diversity of texture that the netting provides. Well done!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

She looks like she fits in on Etheria perfectly!!! I love the diversity of texture that the netting provides. Well done!
    She was quite easy to do but it was fun giving her some details and the hair was pleasure to do.

Now, here she comes the most underused female character from all the mini comics, she is beloved by a few but she has no name, she has no history, she has no weapon, she has no freedom.
    who could it be?

Right! Itīs King Hsssī

SLAVEGIRL

The one time we saw her was in the mini comic KING OF THE SNAKE MEN, she is shown in a memory back flash on page 8 sitting at King Hsss feet wearing nothing but a pink bikini and a silver headgear.

So why would i draw a character who has no history or a name. The answer is simply because she looks hot and it was fun!

I decided to give her a little bit more fabric and in my mind i even created a story for her.

I decided for me that she is Zilora former leader of the Snake Clan. It has never explained who they were and what happend to them but in the one Filmation episode called THE TIME CORRIDOR it was mentioned that the Snake Clan has been there before Castle Grayskull has been built.

Combined with the new MOTUC the Clan canīt be that far away time wise from the Preternian area we know.

Maybe King Hsss tricked Zilora and her people into believing he is their god and than took over transformed them into Snake Men but kept Zilora as his slave for punishment and amusement.

In my picture i a put a chain to her right wrist, of course in the shape of a snake so she canīt run away and even scars from snake bites on her left forearm. I tried to keep her as proud and beautiful as possible while sad at the same time.

As a little side note: She has been the perfect excuse to use my favorite color pink again!
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 02:31pm.

You had me with your use of transparent fabric. <3 <3 <3 I never could resist flowing chiffon...
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Hey Niki,
    I am very impressed by your designs. Looking through this thread during one whole night, your creativity inspired me to want to make so many new female custom figures (Kex Queen, Rana, Zilora, Seer) of so many characters that I haven't remember (like Maran), haven't noticed before (like slavegirl) or never heard before (like mysterious female character from Bubble Carriage concept).... But also your designs inspired me to do again in a different way customs of Shadow Weaver and Scorpia....
    I hope that you will do Sharella (female warrior form Magator box art) someday.
    Keep up the good work!

You had me with your use of transparent fabric. I never could resist flowing chiffon...
    HA HA HA that was easy than! But honestly i wasnīt sure if i can pull it off but iīm proud of picture and how it looks.
    I had some different ideas for her and i changed some things in the progress but thatīs normal...at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Hey Niki,
    I am very impressed by your designs. Looking through this thread during one whole night, your creativity inspired me to want to make so many new female custom figures (Kex Queen, Rana, Zilora, Seer) of so many characters that I haven't remember (like Maran), haven't noticed before (like slavegirl) or never heard before (like mysterious female character from Bubble Carriage concept).... But also your designs inspired me to do again in a different way customs of Shadow Weaver and Scorpia....
    Keep up the good work!
    Thank you very much. iīm really flattered!

Iīm glad i could inspire you and isnīt it amazing how many different characters there are, a year ago i thought thatīs it now, iīm trough but iīm still finding new characters or variants i havenīt seen or havenīt really been noticing before.

MOTU just makes me happy and itīs great that iīm not alone with that!

RIGHT Sharella the archer woman whoīs running away from him, there you see now i almost forgot her and of course iīll find her picture and i will draw her! Thanks for your inspiration
    Last edited by Niki; July 6, 2012 at 11:40am.

Yay! Finally some slave girl art! Now if we could get more people on board to draw her, maybe in some Frazetta type poses alongside King Hiss, that would be sweet!
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Man, I've missed a lot and all of 'em, AWESOME!!!!!

Can't go to detail but I love everyone of them.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Yay! Finally some slave girl art! Now if we could get more people on board to draw her, maybe in some Frazetta type poses alongside King Hiss, that would be sweet!
    I didnīt know that there wasnīt a Slavegirl Fan art picture so far i can not be the the first...

Iīm sorry, Frazetta is totally not my style of drawing, as you can see, i gave my best with her but maybe iīll find someone who can do you that favor. She totally deserves it, she has been through a lot...i guess

Quote Originally Posted by GrtEternal View Post
    Man, I've missed a lot and all of 'em, AWESOME!!!!!

Can't go to detail but I love everyone of them.
    No problem, last time as i recall i kept you up quite long and believe me if i do care for something than itīs a long sleep.

Thanks for your kind words!
    Last edited by Niki; July 10, 2012 at 05:28pm.

NA Sorceress

Lately there has been some talk about the Sorceress and her NA appearances.

And since iīm still in the middle of the mini comic ladies i thought why not try my luck on her.

I combined both her appearances, the mini comics and her JETLAG design, since i thought her headgear from JETLAG is more appealing than the mini comic version but i think the wing shaped cape is totally missing in the mini comic.

Combining both designs was fun and looking at her JETLAG design, i saw her hair was showing underneath the headgear i really liked that detail.
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 01:44pm.

Niki, your NA Sorceress is beautiful! You really nailed the hybridization of the designs, imo. I'm not usually won over 100% by concept drawings but she really is stunning.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Movie mayhem!
    You going to cook something up for the trapjaw redesign challenge?

Oh my goodness! Your NA hybrid Sorceress design is GORGEOUS!!!! I've seen a hybrid design before, but I like this one better. I like how you kept great elements from the headgear of both designs and melded them into one. And the coloring on this piece is SPECTACULAR!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    Niki, your NA Sorceress is beautiful! You really nailed the hybridization of the designs, imo. I'm not usually won over 100% by concept drawings but she really is stunning.
    Thank you very much, iīm glad that i could win you over with my drawing

Oh my goodness! Your NA hybrid Sorceress design is GORGEOUS!!!! I've seen a hybrid design before, but I like this one better. I like how you kept great elements from the headgear of both designs and melded them into one. And the coloring on this piece is SPECTACULAR!
    Thank you, to be honest i saw a hybrid design as well and there were some real nice ideas it also made me think and when that happens i simply have to follow that inspiration!

I want to pay justice on the original designers who invented those beautiful designs and combine their strongest features plus adding a bit of my own!

I really havenīt thought about her before and i still donīt know anything about her than her little picture on that Megator box art, i donīt even know where her name comes from but since she is known as Sharella, the archer woman, iīm gladly presenting my own version:

Her image on the box art is really tiny but very expressive, she is running like hell, if youīre not looking closely you think she is running away from fear but at the second glance you see she just needs a better spot to shoot her arrows at Megator.

She is wearing dark clothes but to be fair not really much and her hair is fair. So i chose to give her a leather top and furry pants. Of course she got the typical boots but i added some color to the fur.

Her hair seemed to be loose but i thought when you are running around and need to have clear sight i braided her upper hair a bit but not to much and i chose a bit more FILMATION Teela hair color for her.
    Last edited by Niki; July 19, 2012 at 02:37pm.

Widget
    I know it's one of the first ones posted, but I really like Double Trouble - She's so sassy looking! What a great pose you've put her in, very fierce and powerful. I also like Catra, with her big puffy skirt/bottom. All of them are very nicely done

Great job Niki, and thank you for drawing her.
    You gave me an inspiration and more details to think about when I make concept for custom Sharella.
    I love her barbarian look.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I really havenīt thought about her before and i still donīt know anything about her than her little picture on that Megator box art, i donīt even know where her name comes from but since she is known as Sharella
    Tribal chieftesse Sharella is mentioned in the second sentence of the He-Ro character profile in Mattel 1987 Style Guide:
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._m805_full.gif
    Some people think that the archer woman showed at Magator box art might be Sharella...

Quote Originally Posted by BarbiCatra View Post
    I know it's one of the first ones posted, but I really like Double Trouble - She's so sassy looking! What a great pose you've put her in, very fierce and powerful. I also like Catra, with her big puffy skirt/bottom. All of them are very nicely done
    Thank you and iīm glad you like Double Trouble i really think she is totally underrated and underused as a character, her pose is a good one thatīs true guess i was really lucky with that one.

Catras skirt is big and puffy in real life, i tried to turn it a bit down actually

Thanks in general for your kind words!

Great job Niki, and thank you for drawing her.
    You gave me an inspiration and more details to think about when I make concept for custom Sharella.
    I love her barbarian look.

Tribal chieftesse Sharella is mentioned in the second sentence of the He-Ro character profile in Mattel 1987 Style Guide:
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._m805_full.gif
    Some people think that the archer woman showed at Magator box art might be Sharella...
    Cool, i would like to see your Sharella and iīm glad i could inspire you a bit.

Thank you for the He-Ro information, i never read that....lazy me!

After all that time i never drew a picture of her.... actually thatīs not true...a complete picture of her but last week it had an inspiration when i saw her in the Battlecat Comic and now she is here.

My very own version of Masters of the Universe First Lady:

TEELA

I took something from all her different incarnations. Here is my list:

CONCEPT ART: gauntlets, tiara, top design and the decoration of the sword handle resemblances the spear design she should have come with.

MINI COMICS: cloned face of the Sorceress, both versions of these characters use the same face in my drawings

TOY: belt and shield

DC: furry loin cloth and of course bare midsection

FlLMATION: shape of the sword, shape of the top and high heels boots

200X: long ponytail

I brought all that ideas together and iīm really proud of the outcome.

And than i tried another thing which is haunting me now, i wanted to know how Teela would look with her mini comic/DC strawberry blonde hair and now i canīt say whatīs better again.

well judge for yourself:

Last edited by Niki; January 4, 2013 at 12:04pm.

Queen Marlena

Ever since i got her last year i wanted to bring her down to paper(yes, iīm drawing all my pictures on paper first ) but i donīt know why i never found the right pose.

That changed after i put her action figure in a very similar pose and from that moment on all went into place:

QUEEN MARLENA

As always i combined her different looks and added some stuff of my own.

The hair needed to be FILMATION but i liked her ponytail when she was in armor so i combined those hairdos. Since her FILMATION dress is iconic but a bit boring i added some of the 200X designs. And her sword is pure MOTUC.

First i wanted to put the Kings emblem on her belt like i did with Adora but in the end i thought she doesnīt need it.

She needs no real introduction, she has been the first Lieutenant and has been the Princes bodyguard for a while.

Here is

Lt. Andra

In her appearance she wore a dark green leotard with fur trimmings around her neck and her sleeves, sounds weird.....looked weird.
    But for the first time we saw a really prepared soldier of Eternia, she had two holsters for her sword and her gun. I hated her hair so i changed that.

I donīt know why but one of my reference for her was an ensigns from Star Trek: The Next Generation. There was this one episode were we were introduced to younger members of the crew and one was a blonde Bajoran Ensign who was send on a mission, she was a security officer at the Enterprise D.

Bajoran women, if they were their hair long like to wear it in a bun with difficult braids, i like that and used that as inspiration for my version of Lt. Andra.

Her outfit had to be updated of course, all guards were the same uniform now and so i created a female version for her. I designed typical female Eternian gauntlets for her and gave her a new Lieutenant sword plus i created a gun for her, that was more fun than i expected it to be.
    Last edited by Niki; August 18, 2012 at 10:19am.