Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 007 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 007 Discussion!

Episode 007 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

First we discuss listener voicemail and e-mail.

After that, we cover a couple more bios. This time, He-Ro and Webstor.

A few highlights of the show:
    • Filmation Hordak VS MYP Hordak
    • The proposed 2002 He-Man / Thundercats comicbook crossover
    • Everyone on the show spacing out when Eamon rants

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 007

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

WOOT! Love the 70's bow-chicka-bow-bow music!

Also, as for Webstor's bio talking about him being a mathematician, I've always took it to be because:

1.) A spider's web can be dissected and mapped out using mathematical patterns.
    2.) With all his eyes, he'd be able to perceive space and dimension on a totally different level than a human. Some spiders can see almost nearly all around them at once (except directly behind them).
    3.) Since he's a master of traps and escapes, he'd have to be able to quickly calculate distance, movement, angles, and dimension to create and avoid traps.
    4.) If in fact he shoots webbing (like the 200X version), he has to be able to calculate the trajectory from one object to the next very quickly, especially if he's swinging from one area to another in rapid succession. Such as moving from one small stalactite to another.
    Last edited by Bulkhide; July 2, 2010 at 03:23am.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

best hang-over cure ... coffee black or coca-cola! ... also, as dan say's - mc'd's always works too! ...

eamon - i like and agree with your ideas of hordak based on the u.k. comics ... i think this idea of hordak fits so much better than the kind of grandiose ideas that we are hearing in various interpretations ... the idea of him 'scavenging' with his small band of rogues/horde (the only ones who could get through from etheria) and experimenting with technology fits so much better ... i always saw king hiss as the 'wizard/sorcerer' of the ''Bad 3'' when i was a kid and i found he was more of a spiritual/mystical character rather than hordak ...

on the subject of the movie-based classic figures - there is nothing more i want than those 3 figures (and more from the film!) in this line ... ... plus, i'm looking forward to hearing your guys thoughts on the movie in a future episode ...

val - i have to disagree, i'm pretty glad the motu/thundercats cross-over didn't come to fruition ... without getting too deep on this subject, i just think they are both great worlds in their own right and should be left seperate ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; July 2, 2010 at 10:01am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Listening to it now. Love the part about The Shadow cardboard cut out. I'm sure he will find that funny! But it would make him sad if that got some love from Jennifer Love Hewitt while he didn't!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Awesome guys......Great show!

About He-Ro... I also think the Tecno-Organic thing will be related to the Dinasours in this new Mattel cannon, as you guys stated in this weeks Gooble.

Lets wait to see what you guys "swings" off in next weeks episode!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger12PR
    PSN: Avenger12PR

a Muppet of a man...
    Just started listening, about 30 minutes in... but so far I love the UK comics idea of Hordak that Eamon brought up, and going back a week or two I really liked the Faker interpretation (Blue Faker can really look like He-Man for short periods of time before reverting back to his Blue and Orange glory), which I believe was from the UK as well. What other gems have been hiding from us across the pond?

Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post

val - i have to disagree, i'm pretty glad the motu/thundercats cross-over didn't come to fruition ... without getting too deep on this subject, i just think they are both great worlds in their own right and should be left seperate ...
    Mattel is acknowledging that He-Man once met Superman in the comics, since they are packaging that comic with the MOTU/DC two packs. There was a comic released just a few years ago that had Superman meet the Thundercats on Earth. So since Superman has met both He-Man and Lion-O in the comics, wouldn't it stand to reason that He-Man and Lion-O could potentially meet up in a comic book as well? Just say'n...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Mattel is acknowledging that He-Man once met Superman in the comics, since they are packaging that comic with the MOTU/DC two packs. There was a comic released just a few years ago that had Superman meet the Thundercats on Earth. So since Superman has met both He-Man and Lion-O in the comics, wouldn't it stand to reason that He-Man and Lion-O could potentially meet up in a comic book as well? Just say'n...
    i hear ya - i just don't like cross-overs! ... in my view, it takes a bit of the magic away when you start mixing and matching lead characters from seperate properties - the world of motu is so vast, it's great the way it is ... i don't like it in movies either (alien vs. predator etc. ...) ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

I agree with Dan about Hordak:

I prefer the newer, 200X/MOTUC version. I hated that whole techno version of Hordak.

But just to clarify: in MYP, it was specifically stated in the "Separation" ep, that Hordak was a wizard.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    i hear ya - i just don't like cross-overs! ... in my view, it takes a bit of the magic away when you start mixing and matching lead characters from seperate properties - the world of motu is so vast, it's great the way it is ... i don't like it in movies either (alien vs. predator etc. ...) ...
    The He-Man/Superman meetings were pre-Crisis, thus they never happened.

That time period is gone.

Unless there's been another Super Duper Ultra Final No-Really-This-Is-The-LAST-Final Crisis of which I'm unaware...

Which, with DC, may well be the case!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post

Unless there's been another Super Duper Ultra Final No-Really-This-Is-The-LAST-Final Crisis of which I'm unaware...

i'm just not down with the whole idea/concept of cross-overs in things like motu ...

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Glad to have this, thanks guys. Certainly makes sitting through work on my Birthday much more bearable!
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I liked the Gray Hordak (the leader of the Horde from the mini-comics with a large army of Horde Troopers and a small band of powerful warriors) better than the Blue Hordak (the branch manager fromFilmation who was under Horde Prime's interstellar empire).

Hordak had these two different characterizations from the get go.

The thing I love about Hordak was that he was the big bad's teacher/master. He gave Skeletor nightmares and served as the ultimate villain in the series.

I thought Webstor's mathematical skills came from the UK comics, where he was a master trap maker.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post

Oh man, don't give me that "Final Crisis" nonscense... lol...

You can't just wipe away years of comic book history because you are ret-conning a series. And even so, just because DC went through their "Crisis" doesn't mean He-Man did. He still would have met the pre-crisis Superman on Eternia, and Lion-O would have met the post crisis one. Sure they each met a different Superman from another reality, but they still both met a Superman. So there is a connection, albeit a very loose one.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; July 2, 2010 at 02:12pm.

Fillamation - I like that

And it seems you need a permanent Demo-Man section in the show

Love the podcast guys!! and thank you for the props for adding content...it felt good to hear my ID name called out!

will try to add more content as my schedule allows.
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer_luvr View Post
    Love the podcast guys!! and thank you for the props for adding content...it felt good to hear my ID name called out!

will try to add more content as my schedule allows.
    ya what he said

My theory on Demo-Man is actually quite simple and it is

stick your finger in your ears while going "lalalalalalalalala" and close your eyes very tightly...and he may just go away.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I thought Webstor's mathematical skills came from the UK comics, where he was a master trap maker.

This is true and that's were it comes from.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Another great listen. Had a few laugh out loud moments! Thanks guy's.

About He-Ro, I fully agree with Val on this one that he should have been an ancestor of King Grayskull. I guess the bionic dinosaurs were best explained by having Hordak responsible, thus it would mean He-Ro fought King Hisss and Hordak at the same time and he needed some help apart from Eldor & Tytus.

I really would love a new comic made by Val & Emiliano to help flesh out this new all-encompassing canon. They could sell it on matty if it's not possible to include it with the figures, to cover cost's.

On that note when will MOTU get a decent video game!
    I'd love to see a beat 'em up like tekken with lots of cut scene's between fights to give the character's personality.

Or and epic RPG that span's the entire history of the MOTU world.

Oh and I like Eamon's Uk Hordak, since I never watched Filmation as a child I only ever thought of him as he was represented in the minicomics.
    Which is similar to the UK Hordak.

Great podcast as usual!

That stinks we never got the MOTU/Thundercats crossover comic. I feel MOTU would be a perfect fit for a crossover(much more than the Thundercat crossovers we did get with Superman and Battle Of The Planets). Hopefully if Mattel & DC keep up their working relationship, we might see it one day featuring either MOTUC, the current canon, or the vintage canon, to go along with the Superman crossover.

While it seems to me that I don't dislike the MOTUC bios or "real names" as much as a lot of people do(although they are far from perfect), King Grayskull is one of those that I feel Mattel really dropped the ball with. As was said in the podcast, not only did he take over He-Ro's place of importance in MOTU canon, he also robbed him of his original name. I feel He-Ro is a cooler and more unique looking character than "Earth 2 He-Man" while also having different powers. I feel MYP or Mattel(whoever created the character) was really sleepy the day they came up with the King. Not only does he look exactly like He-Man (only with longer hair and a furry cape), he has similar powers(even Wun-Dar, a He-Man repaint, looks less like He-Man). He-Ro really, imo, deserves to be the "important" House Of Randor ancestor rather than just another He-Man clone. Considering Mattel is already giving us homages to past He-Man designs in the form of past He-Men in Eternian history(Wun-Dar & Oo-Larr), I feel King Grayskull should have been another one. They could have given him a horned helmet which not only would have made him look a little less like He-Man, he could have then been renamed Vikor.

I love Webstor as a character and feel the MOTUC version is OK except for the added legs. I would have had less of a problem with them if they were removable. I know a lot of people feel he looks better with them since it makes him more spider-like, but Chief Carnivus doesn't have a long lion's tail, Mer-Man doesn't have a fish's tail, and none of the Snake Men are armless & legless. Why are those bad ideas but making Webstor more animal like is a good one?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

For my part I love King grayskull concept / idea but indeed I regret his looking is so close to the actual He-Man.

Dealing with the names, so far we don't know what the "real name" of King Grayskull is. Maybe it's not Gray! (And it is probably not).
    Having a king Grayskull or the king of Castle Grayskull doesn't mean the name of the Castle is the name of the King.
    As we know, He-Ro’s tomb is near the Castle Grayskull. Maybe, for a reason or another there is a true story with an entity named "Grayskull". The story would tells us that later, He-Ro got the alternate name "Grayskull" that was then reduced to "Gray" to simplify it.
    When He-Ro died, "King Grayskull" who’s the name was not yet that, decided to build a Castle in the honor of He-Ro (Or Gray / Grayskull) and then became King Grayskull as the owner of the Castle.

Also, about Eldor, maybe he was the mentor of He-Ro. I don’t know why it couldn’t be.
    Eldor asked for help and met He-Ro knowing he was the one that would be able to control the power of He. So Eldor helps He-Ro to find “the way” (Just as in Star Wars… sorry). King Grayskull was maybe the one that had the best fighting or combat skills while He-Ro was the best to control magical powers. Grayskull could then have been a sort of "Man-At-Arms" for He-Ro in order to train him to combat.
    When He-Ro died, or soon before that event, He-Ro may have been able to give King Grayskull a part of the power of He.. That part that could be used by him : extra Strength, stamina etc… but not magical power. The other part of the power would be somewhere else… That would give also a good reason to Hordak to arrive on Eternia in order to take over this power.

Well, If I say all this it’s only to explain I think solutions can still be found to “correct” or make possible some ideas fans might be unsatisfied with.

Really good show this week guys.

Interesting comments on Hordak. As with Pixel Dan, when I was younger I created a 'character' for my vintage toy Hordak. I enjoyed the filmation and 200X versions, but my Hordak isn't really the same.
    I guess the same is for a lot of characters and entire toy properties.

I also love that Eamon thinks Kobra Khan and Webstor are buddies - I think exactly the same thing! They were and are two of my favourites in MOTU!

man...i would have LOVED a tcats/motu crossover...sigh....i always get depressed when i hear of more things that WOULD have happened in the 200X comics....
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    I also love that Eamon thinks Kobra Khan and Webstor are buddies - I think exactly the same thing! They were and are two of my favourites in MOTU!
    They were a duo in Filmation. Now that the Snake Men have decimated the Arachna, I wonder if that duo is still intact?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

A big fan of Slush Head
    Khan and Webstor were also buddies in the mini-comics:

http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!