Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Geoff Johns is now head of DC and he loves MOTU--so what the hell are we waiting for?

  1. #1
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,703

    Geoff Johns is now head of DC and he loves MOTU--so what the hell are we waiting for?

    DCcollector.com

    DCCollector - Now that Geoff Johns is Chief Creative Officer, does he get to approve sculpts and kind of give direction for the license or is that done by someone else?

    Mattel - Geoff is a huge fan of Mattel product (he and Toy Guru are actually good friends and they will often chat at conventions on all things DC and toy related!). In his new role at DC, he can have the final say in approvals, but Geoff does not handle day-to-day approvals. We have had him over to Mattel a few times and he has had some fantastic input to share. He is a great guy to work with and very creative. (He also really loves MOTU!)
    Geoff Johns loves Mattel product and MOTU. And he's good friends with Toyguru! Seems like this is the perfect opportunity to get a new MOTU book on the stands!

    Or at least some mini-comics with the figures!

    Now keep in mind DC's contract with Mattel expires in 2012 (as stated in the link above. It's one of the questions!), so Mattel could be waiting to re-negotiate their deal with DC Comics. Comics could be part of that new deal, if nothing can be done right now.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 2, 2010 at 02:02pm.

  2. #2
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,120
    I'd rather Geoff Johns stay as far from the MOTU property as possible. Otherwise we'll get people punching eachother's guts out in full detail, murder, rape and drugs. I know some people love this stuff, but I don't feel it belongs in the MOTU setting.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Bulkhide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vagabond
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'd rather Geoff Johns stay as far from the MOTU property as possible. Otherwise we'll get people punching eachother's guts out in full detail, murder, rape and drugs. I know some people love this stuff, but I don't feel it belongs in the MOTU setting.
    Just because it happens in DC, doesn't mean Mattel would ever let it happen in MOTUC. I can't see more than a few stabs or cuts and bruises in MOTU-Related comics.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

  4. #4
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Just because it happens in DC, doesn't mean Mattel would ever let it happen in MOTUC. I can't see more than a few stabs or cuts and bruises in MOTU-Related comics.
    I'm just fearing the dreaded "new vision" approach to make something "More adult".

  5. #5
    Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Owings Mills, MD
    Posts
    1,866
    I brought this up on another thread somewhere, when Geoff mentioned in an interview he would love to write a MOTU series. I have to agree I can't understand for the life of me why Mattel isn't moving on this. Geoff is one of the hottest writers in comics right now, as well as writing episodes for shows like Smallville. Even a mini series written by him would be huge in terms of exposure.

    I didn't know about Geoff's friendship with Scott, though. It's a really good idea to strike while the iron is hot in my opinion. If they truly want to grow the brand more, I think this is one of their the best opportunities.

  6. #6
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    10,098
    If nothing is being planned now it's because both Scott and Geoff are busy with bigger projects.

    Neither of them, especially Geoff for obvious reasons, has MOTU as a priority. Yes, Mattycollector is TG's baby, but the Green Lantern movie products are the biggest potential money-makers TG is working on, and I would think that that is going to be the focus of their working relationship (along with DCUC, Imaginext (if TG is even involved with that line), DCIH, JLU, and Retro-Action).

    I hope we get a huge surprise at SDCC with the announcement of comics (I say comicS because there is no reason they couldn't do a She-Ra series separately.. it would sell as well).
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,447
    It's gotten to the point where I've simply told my comic book guy to put in my box anything Johns writes. I haven't done that with anyone since 7th grade with Ron Lim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    I have to agree I can't understand for the life of me why Mattel isn't moving on this.
    I would imagine they are. Just because we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it's not happening. However it is true that Geoff's DC duties and ToyGuru's GL movie and general DC duties are understandably their top priorities, when two geek friends get together nothing can stop them from talking about toys they love, so they may be developing an entire comic series without even realizing it!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    If Val and crew's hands are tied with a MOTU comic, DC seems to be the logical next step. I too, can't believe that this hasn't been coming up.

    I also agree, that Geoff would be the logical contender to handle this.

    Let's just get some comics already, sheesh!!
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  9. #9
    Barbaric Warrior Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    60
    I think this is fantastic news! If Johns does indeed love MotU, then maybe he also wants to see a new comic like we do.

    Now, as much as I do love, LOVE Johns' writing, I do hope that if a book were to be produced, it would be written by Val & drawn by Emiliano. Imho, no one else gets MotU like those two fine gentleman. Those books are the epitome of what I love about He-Man, Skeletor and everything Masters.

    I, for one, am eager to see where this goes.

  10. #10
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,120
    I dunno why people are so gung-ho to see Johns handle something like this...

    He's a very uneven writer, Blackest Night was pretty bad, and Brightest Day is too. His Flash title is as well, and he writes the worst Batman ever.

    Also his main schtick is silver age nostalgia with added splatter... Don't think that works for MOTU

  11. #11
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Now, as much as I do love, LOVE Johns' writing, I do hope that if a book were to be produced, it would be written by Val & drawn by Emiliano. Imho, no one else gets MotU like those two fine gentleman. Those books are the epitome of what I love about He-Man, Skeletor and everything Masters.
    Amen. I've liked some of John's stuff, but not all. Val and Emiliano understand what makes MOTU work better than anyone I've seen.

    Of course, it all depends on whether or not DC is interested in licensing the property from Mattel to begin with. And you'd need to convince DC that Teela doesn't need skin tight party pants and a leather jacket...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  12. #12
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Amen. I've liked some of John's stuff, but not all. Val and Emiliano understand what makes MOTU work better than anyone I've seen.

    Of course, it all depends on whether or not DC is interested in licensing the property from Mattel to begin with. And you'd need to convince DC that Teela doesn't need skin tight party pants and a leather jacket...
    Amen, Scott. DC are currently in a "shock and sex" phase...

  13. #13
    Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,501
    What Geoff Johns does well is taking nostalgia and history - lining it all up and making it work together - while updating it for new fans.

    I agree that a lot of the stuff he has done has been more controversial, but that is what comic book fans want. No matter what you say - Blackest Night has been one of the best things that has happened for DC Comics in a while (for the whole DC Universe). If you agree with it or not the guy has done some amazing things for DC.

    I would love to hear comments from someone who can say they actually regularly collected all DC titles every week like I did. I had every DC issue pulled for years. I have seen the changes and can account for most of them. I have also seen how fans have upped their DC pulls since Geoff Johns has taken more control.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  14. #14
    Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Planet Eronia
    Posts
    18,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'd rather Geoff Johns stay as far from the MOTU property as possible. Otherwise we'll get people punching eachother's guts out in full detail, murder, rape and drugs. I know some people love this stuff, but I don't feel it belongs in the MOTU setting.
    Drugs have already happened in a few episodes of MOTU. A little violence is ok. I could do without rape though.

    Bring back the Eternia Flower!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

  15. #15
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    What Geoff Johns does well is taking nostalgia and history - lining it all up and making it work together - while updating it for new fans.

    I agree that a lot of the stuff he has done has been more controversial, but that is what comic book fans want. No matter what you say - Blackest Night has been one of the best things that has happened for DC Comics in a while (for the whole DC Universe). If you agree with it or not the guy has done some amazing things for DC.

    I would love to hear comments from someone who can say they actually regularly collected all DC titles every week like I did. I had every DC issue pulled for years. I have seen the changes and can account for most of them. I have also seen how fans have upped their DC pulls since Geoff Johns has taken more control.
    Oh, I'm not arguing that he's done great things for DC. I mean, considering that DC is run by a real... well. Let's say "idiot", Johns is probably the best pick to promote the comics in a good direction.

    I'm just saying that there's no real indication he'd write a good MOTU comic, since most his stuff is pretty average. He's mostly the 2000 version of Dan Jurgens, a writer who's incredibly profilic and called in to "fix" titles, drawing lots of fans. But it's not stuff that will be remrembered as masterpieces in 10 years.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'd rather Geoff Johns stay as far from the MOTU property as possible. Otherwise we'll get people punching eachother's guts out in full detail, murder, rape and drugs. I know some people love this stuff, but I don't feel it belongs in the MOTU setting.

    I dunno why people are so gung-ho to see Johns handle something like this...

    He's a very uneven writer, Blackest Night was pretty bad, and Brightest Day is too. His Flash title is as well, and he writes the worst Batman ever.

    Oh, I'm not arguing that he's done great things for DC. I mean, considering that DC is run by a real... well. Let's say "idiot", Johns is probably the best pick to promote the comics in a good direction.

    I'm just saying that there's no real indication he'd write a good MOTU comic, since most his stuff is pretty average. He's mostly the 2000 version of Dan Jurgens, a writer who's incredibly profilic and called in to "fix" titles, drawing lots of fans. But it's not stuff that will be remrembered as masterpieces in 10 years.
    Wow, and people say I have strong opinions...

    I couldn't be any further on the opposite side of the spectrum from this.

    Can I ask you, why you feel Johns' stuff is so bad? What, IYO, was so bad about BN and BD?

    I'd rather Geoff Johns stay as far from the MOTU property as possible. Otherwise we'll get people punching eachother's guts out in full detail, murder, rape and drugs. I know some people love this stuff, but I don't feel it belongs in the MOTU setting.
    I doubt he'd bring drugs into MOTU. How exactly would that work anyway? Besides, not nearly everything that Johns writes has all that stuff. In fact, I can't recall the last thing that Johns wrote, that had rape in it.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  17. #17
    Adroit Academic Professor Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Posts
    361
    Historically, "tie-ins" are not very profitable to the larger comic companies.* The money doesn't really exist for DC to pursue a property like MOTU. Yes, MOTU has a rather rabid, and loyal, fanbase... but it is a fanbase that is relatively small in the scheme of things.

    Now, if a writer (preferably with a large "Straczynski-like" following) approached DC with an interesting pitch, it might be in their interest to pursue the license.


    * The reason that companies like Devil's Due or IDW were able to capitalize on properties like GI Joe or Voltron is because it was not profitable for the BIG TWO(?) to do so. With a smaller operating budget, these companies were able to take advantage of the nostalgia niche... but only for so long. Take a look at Devil's Due recently, not long for this world. Even in the history of MOTU comics, Val and co. weren't able to keep the most recent comic going, even with most of our support.
    Zodac is the name for God on the lips of all fanboys.

  18. #18
    Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,501
    The only chance that DC might add MOTU is just because of the DC Comics Presents issues that actually had MOTU meet up with DC Universe characters. Geoff Johns could actually make it work since he is so in to the nostalgia of DC comics.

    Now if they could get Stanley "Antgerm" Lau to do some MOTU artwork - that would be amazing.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  19. #19
    Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Bring back the Eternia Flower!
    I could go for some of that right now!

  20. #20
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Bring back the Eternia Flower!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I could go for some of that right now!
    Abracadabra, yo!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,250
    The big question for me is: would anyone doing a new MOTU comic need to work under the same restrictions we had to work with?
    Because those restrictions were making impossible for us to write any story and I dubt something like DC would accept to operate under the same kind of restrictions.
    It all goes back to the legal stuff. If Mattel is able to handle publishing license like Hasbro does with DC, then there is some chance that a comic can be done. Otherwise, it would be a nightmare for any writer. Me and Val had to give up at one point, and we are some of the biggest MOTU fan. How long would resist someone that isn't such a big fan to begin with?

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Griffin View Post
    Now, if a writer (preferably with a large "Straczynski-like" following) approached DC with an interesting pitch, it might be in their interest to pursue the license.
    Personally, I think Straczynski is over rated. But besides that, who's to say he's even a fan? Geoff Johns is already a fan, and the hottest thing in comics right now, like him or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The big question for me is: would anyone doing a new MOTU comic need to work under the same restrictions we had to work with?
    Because those restrictions were making impossible for us to write any story and I dubt something like DC would accept to operate under the same kind of restrictions.
    It all goes back to the legal stuff. If Mattel is able to handle publishing license like Hasbro does with DC, then there is some chance that a comic can be done. Otherwise, it would be a nightmare for any writer. Me and Val had to give up at one point, and we are some of the biggest MOTU fan. How long would resist someone that isn't such a big fan to begin with?
    I think Mattel would be fools to let an opportunity with DC slip out of their hands, considering the relationship they already have with them.

    Also, Geoff Johns is the right person, not only because of his talents as a writer, but also because of his position within DC right now. I doubt he'd negotiate a situation that wouldn't be good for all parties involved.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; July 2, 2010 at 08:19pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  23. #23
    Master of Dreams Sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Wow, and people say I have strong opinions...

    I couldn't be any further on the opposite side of the spectrum from this.

    Can I ask you, why you feel Johns' stuff is so bad? What, IYO, was so bad about BN and BD?
    I didn't want to keep derailing the thread, but in short.

    Too much gore.

    Too weak solution (to BN).

    Too many characters written bland or uninteresting.

    Generally weak ideas (BD).

    I enjoyed his JSA run a lot, as well as Green Lantern: Rebirth and the GL regular series. I hated Flash: Rebirth, thought BN was all buildup to a bad payoff and dislike the BD series so far. It's hit or miss.

    As for the question on "would they?", the question that's relevant is what sort of control Mattel would exert. They have shown in the past to be extremely protective of their trademarks, and I believe that because MOTU has never had any strong, iconic comics creators work on it in the past, Mattel do not feel they are obligated to maintain a comics presence.

    The reason Transformers and GI Joe have been so successful as comics properties, and keep being so today, is that they have Simon Furman and Larry Hama respectively. Say what you will, having a very profilic author who has basically been a fan even while working on the 1980's versions of the comics helps -immensely- in building a presence in the comics industry.

    MOTU had the DC series, then an all-new team for the Star series, and an entirely different team for the UK comics, which never really intersected, and another team for the mini-comics. The only heavy name attached to MOTU as a comics property is Bruce Timm, and I can't see him returning to MOTU now unless Mattel greases his wheels immensely.

    Man, that would have been cool, a MOTU series in the style of B:TAS or S:TAS or JL/U...

  24. #24
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The big question for me is: would anyone doing a new MOTU comic need to work under the same restrictions we had to work with?
    Because those restrictions were making impossible for us to write any story and I dubt something like DC would accept to operate under the same kind of restrictions.
    It all goes back to the legal stuff. If Mattel is able to handle publishing license like Hasbro does with DC, then there is some chance that a comic can be done. Otherwise, it would be a nightmare for any writer. Me and Val had to give up at one point, and we are some of the biggest MOTU fan. How long would resist someone that isn't such a big fan to begin with?
    Are those same restrictions STILL in place with different people managing the brand nowadays? Or are the good ol' boys that ruined 200X still over at Mattel?

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I didn't want to keep derailing the thread, but in short.

    Too much gore.
    It was a story about "zombies". It wasn't supposed to be gory?

    Too weak solution (to BN).
    What was weak about the solution?

    Too many characters written bland or uninteresting.
    Such as...?

    Generally weak ideas (BD).
    Such as....?

    I enjoyed his JSA run a lot, as well as Green Lantern: Rebirth and the GL regular series. I hated Flash: Rebirth, thought BN was all buildup to a bad payoff and dislike the BD series so far. It's hit or miss.
    BD is only 4 issues deep. It's supposed to be a 6 month long bi weekly story.

    As for the question on "would they?", the question that's relevant is what sort of control Mattel would exert. They have shown in the past to be extremely protective of their trademarks, and I believe that because MOTU has never had any strong, iconic comics creators work on it in the past, Mattel do not feel they are obligated to maintain a comics presence.
    That's a serious mistake on their parts, then. You can't escape having a toy line such as this, without a media form to push it. You mention TF's and GI JOE below, which are perfect examples of that.

    Otherwise, Mattel wouldn't be putting all this effort into the bios. They're trying to find a way to push a story, without a proper medium.

    The reason Transformers and GI Joe have been so successful as comics properties, and keep being so today, is that they have Simon Furman and Larry Hama respectively. Say what you will, having a very profilic author who has basically been a fan even while working on the 1980's versions of the comics helps -immensely- in building a presence in the comics industry.
    See, I disagree with this. Furman and Hama haven't done anything worthwhile on both those franchises' comics (not anything worth while) in the 2+ years that they've been writing them. TF's still doesn't have an ongoing per se, and GI JOE is as bland and boring as you say BN and BD are.

    I stopped reading them both, and I was an avid 80's comic reader.

    IMO, TF's and GI JOE were their best, when they were in the hands of Dreamwave and Devil's Due, respectively. Same with MOTU, when they were in the hands of Val and Emiliano.

    If anything, your are proving that "big names" aren't necessarily the best thing for these franchises, as was your point with Geoff Johns.

    MOTU had the DC series, then an all-new team for the Star series, and an entirely different team for the UK comics, which never really intersected, and another team for the mini-comics. The only heavy name attached to MOTU as a comics property is Bruce Timm, and I can't see him returning to MOTU now unless Mattel greases his wheels immensely.
    That especially won't happen, unless Mattel acquiesces to DC. Bruce Timm and DC are a package deal these days.

    Man, that would have been cool, a MOTU series in the style of B:TAS or S:TAS or JL/U...
    Now THAT would be absolutely awesome!! All the more reason why Mattel and DC need to link up... With DC doing the comics and the animation, and Mattel already doing DC's toys, it's win-win for everybody.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •