Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 008 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 008 Discussion!

Episode 008 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, and "Pixel Dan" Eardley are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.
    James Sawyer adds his voice to the mix, and Eamon O'Donoghue is doing who knows what.

First we discuss listener voicemail and e-mail.

After that, we cover a couple more bios. This time, Zodak and Teela.

Then we plunge into the first half of our two-part interview with Lee Nordling, editor of many of the original Masters of the Universe mini-comics!

A few highlights of the show:
    • The violence of the Slave City mini-comic
    • The mysterious connection between Lodar and Zodak
    • Val's cat comments on New Adventures of He-Man

And as always, you'll enjoy some extra seasoning with this episode's Fanart of the week, Collectible of the week and Fansite of the week!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 008

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Oh why did I have to check the org before heading to bed - now I'm gonna be up another hour plus listening to this - ah, what the heck, a sugar free red bull will pull me through the work day tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

James Sawyer adds his voice to the mix, and Eamon O'Donoghue is doing who knows what.
    James Sawyer???

LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

LOL!
    I always think the same thing.

Regarding Zodak's bio.

"Zodac® chose to retain his human form and left Eternia® after Grayskull’s demise. Finding peace among the stars, Zodac® was recruited by the Overlords of Trolla to become a Cosmic Enforcer™, beings tasked with maintaining neutrality throughout the universe."

"Kar-tor™ studied the teachings and mystic fighting techniques of the Cosmic Enforcers and knows how to instantly identify an opponent's weakness. After his mentor, the original Zodac®, left Eternia® to fulfill the Elder's bargain with Trolla, Kar-tor™ took his place on the Council"

Surely Zodac-Zur never knew the ways of the cosmic enforcers untill he left eternia.
    But they imply he was teaching Kar-tor up untill he left to fulfill the bargain with trolla?

Possibly He-ro had passed that knowledge onto member's of the council of elder's?

Great interview! Nice to hear some new trivia about the mini-comics that was never known before. I forget that there are still some cool characters in the mini-comics that should definitely be made as toys for MOTUC.

New Adventures Of He-Man is the "After M.A.S.H." or "Three's A Crowd" of the MOTU franchise imo. It took a few cast members of a great show, put them in a new setting, and were unable to reproduce the magic of what came before. Some of it was because it was too different for old fans in premise and/or setting and also because the new characters had the impossible job of replacing characters who were loved by fans of the original incarnation. I don't mind NA being brought to MOTUC, but I don't want that to be the end of He-Man's story(stuck in the future without his family or old friends). There are definitely some cool characters to be added to the mythology(more in terms of villains than heroes imho), but I like it as just a finite adventure where He-Man & Skeletor eventually return to Eternia when they are done.

I'm not a big fan of Zodak but I have no problem with him being added to MOTUC since, unlike the 2002 line & MYP toon, he wasn't a replacement but an addition to the MOTU mythology. For me, the problem with that previous era is that rather than just adding to previously held mythology(which it also did), it sought to replace canon & designs for no other reason than because they could. Why fix something that isn't broken?

While I'm not a fan of Teela being a clone, at least she isn't(so far) Fisto's daughter. I don't know why Mattel decided to use her overly complex clone orign while the only reason it originally existed was to act as a retcon to explain why The Goddess/Sorceress looked like Teela in the original DC comics & mini-comics. I also find Skeletor wanting to raise Teela in order to eventually marry her to be a pretty creepy plot point that seems like it's out of pre-politically correct or Disney whitewashing fairy tales(those stories are pretty twisted if you read the original versions).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    New Adventures Of He-Man is the "After M.A.S.H." or "Three's A Crowd" of the MOTU franchise imo.
    That's not a bad analogy.

Ahhh! The power went out and came back just as Val brought up Slave City.

EDIT

A lot of discussion on the comic creation process went right over my head.

Interesting story about Lodar!
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 8, 2010 at 09:00am.

I feel the same thing about an adaption of the "Classics canon" that you just mention. Any adaption would start out with most of the big secrets already revealed, most of the shockers already out. It'd mostly just be going through the motions, I believe.

Funny you should mention the size of Eternia and the corresponding time element. In "Teela's Quest", one of the very first Filmation episodes, in the flashback when Marlena sights Eternia she says "heading for that small planet". I mean, you can argue for and against Marlena's statement, and it's quite possible there was a specific statement that Eternia was larger than earth later on. Just saying, even back in Filmation days there was a vague notion that Eternia may be a smaller planet.

The clone thing is... yeah. It really diminishes the Sorceress as a character (not just Teela), and I would argue that making her less human is not something she needs. I mean, she's already a kind of aloof and limited character when it comes to interactions with people.

Also I can't believe nobody said it yet:

Jafar is Teela's biological father!!!1111oneone

Lee Nordling is such a professional and such a nice guy to listen to and he's not dismissive of the MOTU phenomenon either! I was fascinated by this interview, especially the background of "Slave City", one of my first mini comics ever.

I can swear that I had a swedish copy of "slave City" but I am not sure anymore.

I -really- liked this episode and will listen in again for part 2 of the interview.
    Last edited by Sandman; July 8, 2010 at 10:46am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think the Teela bio mentioned the age of Teela because it might differentiate both Teela bios (assuming that they want to make a young female buck to make a Classic styled 200X 16 year old Teela). It's either that or maybe they specifically mentioned it to tell the fans that although the bios largely follow 200X continuity, Teela isn't a 16 year old kid here.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

James Sawyer???
    Yeah... a friend of mine mentioned that connection to me awhile back. I don't watch "Lost" so I had no idea somebody shared my name.

thanks for having me on the show guys! It was a pleasure!

Sallah

Val--thanks for the heads-up on your being sick of Demo-Man. That was going to be the topic of my first voicemail Now I gotta think of something else...

Lodar was supposed to be Zodac in Slave City? And they didn't know that Zodac was actually a toy? The team was never given reference materials? Wild...

I guess Lodar is screwed for Classics..."Lodar was supposed to be Zodac, and since this is MOTU Classics..."

They should've used that as his real name. ha! j/k

So, will anyone redraw the cover to Slave City so it's Zodac instead of Lodar? Zodac could be pulling He-Man's hair while threatening to gun-butt him...

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Yeah... a friend of mine mentioned that connection to me awhile back. I don't watch "Lost" so I had no idea somebody shared my name.

thanks for having me on the show guys! It was a pleasure!

Sallah
    It's funny how many pop culture icons share "our" first name besides the guy from Lost(007, Wolverine, Captain Kirk, Jimmy Olsen, Jim from Huckleberry Finn, Earthworm Jim, Jim Halpert; OK, those last 2 might be a stretch.)

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I swear I’ve heard this Lodar/Zodac story before.. So I’m real surprised to see the “Message Board Elders” so-to-speak be surprised at this tale.

My understanding was a bit different. I thought Lodar was an original character created by the story author, who named him Zodac not knowing that there was already a different character with that same name. When the mistake was realized, they then changed the text to show Lodar instead of Zodac. I did not know that the character should have been Zodac all along and was drawn incorrectly.

It just seems strange that I’m the only one who seems to recall this.. Where did I hear it from then!?

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I swear I’ve heard this Lodar/Zodac story before.. So I’m real surprised to see the “Message Board Elders” so-to-speak be surprised at this tale.

My understanding was a bit different. I thought Lodar was an original character created by the story author, who named him Zodac not knowing that there was already a different character with that same name. When the mistake was realized, they then changed the text to show Lodar instead of Zodac. I did not know that the character should have been Zodac all along and was drawn incorrectly.

It just seems strange that I’m the only one who seems to recall this.. Where did I hear it from then!?

I remember it as well, even the bit about changing the word bubbles. When´Lee started telling the story I instantly remembered how they'd fixed it. Must have read it here a long time ago?

You know what? You guys are right. Chalk it up to a bad memory on my part with these sort of factoids.

http://old.he-man.org/site_sects/spe...nordling.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I wasn't surprised, but did you really want me to sound like a know-it-all who trumped the story form our guest?

Hey Awesome show thus far boys i am listening now hey you guys need to get Devall to join your cast when Eamons in Jail or just put Devall no matter what

Loved it. Rock on guys!
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

New Adventures Of He-Man is the "After M.A.S.H." or "Three's A Crowd" of the MOTU franchise imo. I like it as just a finite adventure where He-Man & Skeletor eventually return to Eternia when they are done.

Zodak but I have no problem with him being added to MOTUC since, unlike the 2002 line & MYP toon, he wasn't a replacement but an addition to the MOTU mythology. For me, the problem with that previous era is that rather than just adding to previously held mythology(which it also did), it sought to replace canon & designs

While I'm not a fan of Teela being a clone, at least she isn't(so far) Fisto's daughter. I don't know why Mattel decided to use her overly complex clone orign
    I completely agree with pretty much every point you made here Mr. Shokoti. Well said.

LOL @ NA being the "After M.A.S.H." or "Three's A Crowd" of MOTU. Yep. That pretty much nails it. And don't forget "Golden Palace" (after Golden Girls ended). I think NA has potential and can be worked into the overall mythos, but it should be a temporary thing and absolutely shouldn't be the endpoint. As Emiliano said, there is no reason they can't return to Eternia after those events are resolved.

I do like the idea of Zodac and Zodak being seperate characters. That's pretty cool.

I was NOT a fan of the Fisto being Teela's father thing at all, but returning to the mini-comic clone idea isn't the way to go either IMO. It'd be better if they kept it more mysterious.

Great interview with Lee Nordling. It was really interesting hearing about all the behind-the-scenes stuff on the mini-comics. Looking forward to the next helping of Roast Gooble.

~Penny~
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I was NOT a fan of the Fisto being Teela's father thing at all, but returning to the mini-comic clone idea isn't the way to go either IMO. It'd be better if they kept it more mysterious.
    I mentioned in another thread that if they never went into who Teela's father was in the first place, I doubt we'd love the character any less. We were never told who the parents of Huey, Dewey, and Louie were and they are still considered beloved characters with household names.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I loved this episode! Lee Nordling was great to listen to. I feel like a lot of the guys who worked on the old comics and cartoons are nice enough to come back for interviews but don't really remember a lot from their time on the property and don't seem to have had much attachment to the details of their work from back in the day (which is kind of understandable since it is just a toyline but that makes the interviews less than exciting) Lee however seemed to remember all kinds of cool details and appreciated what was going on with the property back when he was working on it. Thanks! and looking forward to part 2.