Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Thread

Peter Jackson has already spoken to government officials. The Prime Minister John Key has gone on record saying he will do everything in his power to keep The Hobbit in New Zealand. The NZ government is very concerned over this as it threatens our entire movie industry. It's not a good look for NZ so the government will do just about anything to help out Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Patrick Stewart isn't hurting for work. He moved back to England and has been focusing primarily on stage work the past few years. That is where his passion is. He has been in a number of large theatre productions the past few years. He was on stage in "Waiting for Godot" last year with Ian McKellen, and is currently starring in a Broadway production of David Mamet's "A Life in the Theatre".
    I was thinking of his ego rather than is wallet, as he had a starring role in two successful film franchises that went away about the same time. In terms of his acting, he'll always have work.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    Peter Jackson has already spoken to government officials. The Prime Minister John Key has gone on record saying he will do everything in his power to keep The Hobbit in New Zealand. The NZ government is very concerned over this as it threatens our entire movie industry. It's not a good look for NZ so the government will do just about anything to help out Jackson.
    Good thing we have a New Zealander to clear these things up, thanks m8!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

No problems, I'll keep you guys informed on any further developments.

Latest developments....

"Unions and film industry representatives locked in an ongoing industrial dispute surrounding The Hobbit have agreed to work together to update actors' conditions.

Representatives from the Screen Production and Development Association, the Actors' Equity union and the Council of Trade Unions met today for discussions facilitated by Economic Development Minister Gerry Brownlee.

The Government earlier made Mr Brownlee and Arts and Culture Minister Chris Finlayson available to help mediate the dispute between the groups.

In a joint statement, the groups said today's discussions were useful and productive.

The groups had agreed to work together to update the conditions of engagement for performers in the local film industry.

They said the process would help ensure New Zealand remained an attractive place for film productions." - TVNZ.
    Last edited by Viceroy; October 14, 2010 at 04:36am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Finally....

Breaking: 'The Hobbit' Moving Forward

The long-delayed 'Lord of the Rings' prequel will start production in February with Peter Jackson directing

By Sharon Waxman
    TheWrap.com

"The Hobbit" has been greenlit and will start production in February, an individual close to the production has told TheWrap.

As TheWrap previously reported, Peter Jackson has agreed to direct the film in addition to producing and writing the two-part project.

In the agreement completed this week, Jackson's deal was finalized and MGM and Warner Brothers agreed to greenlight the project.

Sets have already been built in New Zealand, and actors, including Sir Ian McKellen, have been on hold for months.

Martin Freeman has been rumored to play Bilbo Baggins.

Production will begin in February.

However, the individual said that labor issues related to the production have still not been resolved and that negotiations will continue with the Screen Actors Guild.

The greenlighting means that millions of global fans for the revered J.R.R. Tolkien property can look forward to a prequel to "The Lord of the Rings," which was one of the most successful movie franchises in movie history.

Jackson was already on board to write and produce "The Hobbit." But because of financial turmoil at MGM, which owns half of the franchise together with Warners' New Line Cinema, the project became one of the most torturous movie projects in Hollywood history.
    Martin Freeman?

I suppose he could pass as a younger version of Ian Holm
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Finally....
    Martin Freeman?
    I suppose he could pass as a younger version of Ian Holm
    Great to hear things are back on track!

He'll be more than serviceable, though he might need to gain a little weight. Looking forward to it!

Latest developments.....

"Actors involved in an ongoing pay and conditions dispute over the Hobbit films have cancelled a planned union meeting tonight.

New Zealand Actors' Equity had scheduled a meeting in Wellington tonight to discuss "new industry standards" but organiser Frances Walsh told NZPA that the meeting had been called off but refused to say why.

The cancellation comes as Wellington film technicians gathered tonight for a meeting held by the head of Wellington's Weta Workshop, Sir Richard Taylor.

One technician who was at the meeting told the Dominion Post that hundreds had planned to attend the cancelled Actors' Equity meeting to call for an end of their boycott of the troubled film.

The two Hobbit films, a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, are expected to cost about US$500 million (NZ$669m) to make, the most expensive ever, and will be filmed in 3-D.

While the films were given the green light on the weekend, the location of shooting is yet to be decided as the ongoing dispute with actors continues.

Speaking after the technicians' meeting Sir Richard told TVNZ that the New Zealand film industry was "at some level of peril".

"The mood is one of great concern ... Wellington film technicians want to be heard. They want to be represented in these very bizarre and strange events that are going on right now," he said.

"By the actions of a very limited few, a huge fraternity of filmmakers, technicians, and artists will be affected."

He said producers were doing all they could to retain the films in New Zealand.

Actors' Equity is seeking a collective agreement and has asked its members to boycott the two Hobbit films."

NZPA

Uh-Oh...
    WELLINGTON (Dow Jones)--Time Warner Inc.'s (TWX) New Line Cinema confirmed Friday that it is considering filming the two-part, US$500 million "Lord of the Rings" prequel "The Hobbit" outside of New Zealand due to the actions of unions.

"The actions of these unions have caused us substantial damage and disruption and forced us to consider other filming locations for the first time. Alternative locations are still being considered," said New Line spokeswoman Candice McDonough.

Unions and film makers have been at logger heads since New Zealand Actors' Equity union called on actors' unions around the world to boycott the "The Hobbit" after accusing producers of refusing to recognize its right to negotiate minimum standards for its members.

On Thursday the New Zealand Actors' Equity union backed down and recommended their colleague unions lift the ban after reaching an agreement with the Screen Production & Development Association to negotiate a new set of conditions for performers in the local screen industry.

-By Rebecca Howard, Dow Jones Newswires; 64-4-471-5990; rebecca.howard@dowjones.com
    Last edited by Inhibitor; November 28, 2010 at 07:14am.

Hmmmm...I don't know about Armitage, he's rather young to play Thorin Oakenshield, in my humble opinion. Considering that Thorin was quite old at the time of the book (being born in 2746 of the Third Age, having survived the taking of Erebor from the Dwarves by Smaug. The Hobbit's story begins in 2941 of the T.A. and Smaug had inhabited the Mountain for 200 years.

John Rhys-Davies was in his 50's when he played Gimli, son of Gloin, so I have to say that Armitage is way too young to play such an old and distinguished Dwarf

'The Hobbit' cast includes Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage
    By Andrea Reiher
    |
    October 21, 2010 10:00 PM ET

"The Hobbit" officially has a cast. New Line Cinema has announced Martin Freeman is Bilbo Baggins, Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis are expected to reprise their roles from the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy of Gandalf and Gollum, and Richard Armitage has been cast as Thorin Oakenshield, the leader of the Company of Dwarves.

"Despite the various rumours and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us," says Peter Jackson in a statement. He was previously announced as the director. "There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave -- exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

Jackson also adds that Armitage "is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin Oakensheild. We cannot wait to start this adventure with him and feel very lucky that one of the most beloved characters in Middle-earth is in such good hands."

Also joining the cast are Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Aidan Turner (Kili), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), John Callen (Oin), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Peter Hambleton (Gloin). The two "Hobbit" films are due out December 2012 and December 2013.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; October 22, 2010 at 07:25pm.

Warner Executives are in New Zealand and are going to discuss whether to keep the movies in NZ. They will be meeting with Peter Jackson and later on with the Prime Minister.

I still think they will be filmed in NZ as there is too much riding on this politically. I will expect some type of statement to be released on NZ Tuesday - U.S. Monday time.

News Update -------

"Prime Minister John Key has this evening confirmed that the two Hobbit films will be made in New Zealand after concessions were made to Warner Bros.

At a press conference Key confirmed legislation would be introduced to Parliament tomorrow to clarify rules concerning contractors and employees, without which the films couldn't be made in New Zealand.

Added to that the makers of the film will also get a further $7.5m tax rebate per film.

As part of the deal a promotional video of New Zealand will feature on all digital copies of the film.

The deal comes after two days of delicate negotiations with Warner Bros executives following attempts by an actors' union to negotiate new conditions for working on the films." Yahoo!Xtra News

This is great news news for NZ. Hopefully they can begin filming as soon as possible!
    Last edited by Viceroy; October 27, 2010 at 06:38am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Uh oh, Sir Ian says he is still not under contract. Sounds like negotiations are still ongoing, but Hollywood has been awfully liberal about recasting these days.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/InD...20101101_page2

Hollywood may be liberal, but it's Peter Jackson's film, and I highly doubt he'll have anyone else play Gandalf.

Am I alone in seeing that this does NOT need to be two movies?

Well my understanding is that Hobbit 1 is mostly gonna be what we know of The Hobbit but Hobbit part 2 more or less connects the hobbit to the Lord Of The Rings. By end its suppose to seem like The Hobbit and Rings was one story.

Awe Howard Shore is gonnabe scoring the Hobbit movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jester View Post
    Am I alone in seeing that this does NOT need to be two movies?
    I was under the impression that the first one going to be The Hobbit whereas the second film was going to delve into the in-between, i.e. the story of the White Council and driving the Necromancer (Sauron) from Dol Guldur.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Looks like it is official he is coming back.

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/39...-in-the-hobbit
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I wonder how they'll handle the music in this. The Hobbit had a lot more songs in it. In keeping with the feel of the first series of movies, I don't see big musical numbers. Perhaps the songs as a background...

We come into a scene after the meal at Bilbo's house; Thorin, Gandalf, and Bilbo sitting back with a few of the older dwarves, while we hear some younger ones, like Fili and Kili, doing the washing up in the other room, with snippets of "...that's what Bilbo Baggins hates, so carefully, carefully with the plates!" And Bilbo glancing toward the kitchen door, nervously.

I can see their song about the mountain in full, much like Pippin's song for Denathor in RotK. The Goblin's song done as a march as they're taken dow to Goblin Town as prisoners.

I imagine, that a problem with a big director like Jackson doing a big, beloved series like this, there are going to be lots of people angry and posting on the internet, no matter WHAT he does. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. So I trust him to just make what he things is best for the movie. I loved the LOTR series, despite changes.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    That article said Elijah Wood would be back as Frodo...why???

Legolas I can understand, as they're in Mirkwood for part of the story talking to Legolas' dad, so he could conceivably be there, and working Galadriel in makes sense, but I don't get why they'd need Frodo, beyond maybe a two-second cameo at the end.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    That article said Elijah Wood would be back as Frodo...why???

Legolas I can understand, as they're in Mirkwood for part of the story talking to Legolas' dad, so he could conceivably be there, and working Galadriel in makes sense, but I don't get why they'd need Frodo, beyond maybe a two-second cameo at the end.
    Yeah, Legolas was always a definite in my mind, and Galadriel was a member of the White Council. Frodo is what I can't figure out. He wouldn't even have been born when Bilbo had his adventure.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

I think it was said that he would be bookending the movie, reading from Bilbo's book as he wrote Lord of the Rings at the end of the last movies.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    I think it was said that he would be bookending the movie, reading from Bilbo's book as he wrote Lord of the Rings at the end of the last movies.
    That's the rumor, but it still seems unnecessary, particularly since Wood was so much younger when he played Frodo. I'm curious to see if they have something more interesting in mind than just an unneeded framing device.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    It would be cheap and tacky to Frodo directly involved in the story. Peter Jackson is pretty loyal to the work, so I doubt he would something to alter The Hobbit too much. I think Frodo is just going to be part of the exposition and maybe at the conclusion, but that's about it.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull09 View Post
    Well my understanding is that Hobbit 1 is mostly gonna be what we know of The Hobbit but Hobbit part 2 more or less connects the hobbit to the Lord Of The Rings. By end its suppose to seem like The Hobbit and Rings was one story.

Awe Howard Shore is gonnabe scoring the Hobbit movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I was under the impression that the first one going to be The Hobbit whereas the second film was going to delve into the in-between, i.e. the story of the White Council and driving the Necromancer (Sauron) from Dol Guldur.
    I don't know if this is still the case but back back I had read that the second movie was going to be made using the Silmerillian book along with 'original content' to make it have an actual full story narrative.

I was watching the news the other night and they said that filming was to begin very shortly.

This really breaks my heart. We cannot recast Gandalf especially if McKellan is still alive and able to play the part. The Hobbit has a special place, I think, in all of our hearts and this would make it not as special as if he was in it. Hopefully they can come to a resolution.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…