Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    This really breaks my heart. We cannot recast Gandalf especially if McKellan is still alive and able to play the part. The Hobbit has a special place, I think, in all of our hearts and this would make it not as special as if he was in it. Hopefully they can come to a resolution.
    Guess you haven't been following the thread

He will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Guess you haven't been following the thread

He will be back.

Just call me Dr. Cheeks. I've been making my rounds and I'm a little behind.
    Well, you just made my week.
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; January 25, 2011 at 01:21am. Reason: extra
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I went ahead and changed the name to the Hobbit Movie Thread.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Looks like it is official he is coming back.

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/39...-in-the-hobbit
    Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    This really breaks my heart. We cannot recast Gandalf especially if McKellan is still alive and able to play the part. The Hobbit has a special place, I think, in all of our hearts and this would make it not as special as if he was in it. Hopefully they can come to a resolution.
    you must have missed the post a bit earlier in this thread
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Thanks for the quick info. I'll come down from the bridge now.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I thought this may interest all you hobbit fans out there!

"Hobbit" filming gets underway in New Zealand.

SYDNEY (Hollywood Reporter) - Filming on Peter Jackson's long-awaited adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" gets underway Monday in Wellington, New Zealand, with everyone involved "raring to go," Jackson's assistant Matt Dravitski told New Zealand media.

The start of filming on the two $500 million "Hobbit" films -- prequels to "The Lord of the Rings" -- comes after setbacks that have included disputes over distribution rights to the films; financial difficulties of studios MGM and New Line; the departure of Guillermo Del Toro as director; industrial action's bringing about N.Z. Actors Equity, which threatened to move the shoot from New Zealand; and Jackson's hospitalization in February for a perforated stomach ulcer.

Martin Freeman, who stars in the title role as Bilbo Baggins, joked about the so-called "curse of 'The Hobbit'" last month: "There are some bits of bad luck associated with it we're ready to go -- just as soon as 2015 comes around."

The company of 13 dwarves, Baggins and the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) have been in Wellington for the last two months preparing for the films.

"The Hobbit," to be made as two 3D films, follows the journey of Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, which was conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of 13 dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakensheild.

Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers and ultimately Baggins' meeting with Gollum, where he gains possession of Gollum's "precious" ring -- the simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth.

Joining Baggins on the quest are the Dwarves, played by Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield), Ken Stott (Balin), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), William Kircher (Bifur), James Nesbitt (Bofur), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Aidan Turner (Kili), Peter Hambleton (Gloin), John Callen (Oin), Jed Brophy (Nori), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Adam Brown (Ori).

Warner Bros. on Monday confirmed that Cate Blanchett (Galadriel), Andy Serkis (Gollum) and Elijah Wood (Frodo) will reprise their roles from Lord of the Rings. N.Z. actors Jeffrey Thomas and Mike Mizrahi also join the cast as Dwarf Kings Thror and Thrain, respectively.

Filming, under the eye of director of photography Andrew Lesnie, will take place at Wellington Stone Street Studios, the village of Matamata and at other undisclosed locations around New Zealand.

The two films are said to be worth more than $1 billion to the N.Z. economy. The New Zealand government is providing incentives and tax breaks worth around $100 million to the shoot.

Also working on the films are production designer Dan Hennah, conceptual designers Alan Lee and John Howe, composer Howard Shore and makeup and hair designer Peter King. Costumes are designed by Ann Maskrey and Richard Taylor.

Taylor is also overseeing the design and production of weaponry, armour and prosthetics, which are once again being made by Weta Workshop. Weta Digital takes on the visual effects for both films, led by the film's visual effects supervisor, Joe Letteri. Postproduction will take place at Park Road Post Production in Wellington.

"The Hobbit" is produced by Jackson and Fran Walsh, alongside Carolynne Cunningham. Executive producers are Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner, with Philippa Boyens as co-producer.

"The Hobbit" films are co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros. Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM.
    The two films are planned for release in late 2012 and 2013, respectively.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Thror and Thrain? Those had better be for flashback scenes. And where's Hugo Weaving's name in all this? And unless they are expanding the story of the White Council, I don't see why Galadriel is in this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Man, I did not picture Richard Armitage or Aidan Turner as dwarves. Way younger and way...I guess "hotter"...than I ever expected the dwarves to be. I was expecting Brian Cox to be Thorin honestly, and I was so sure Davies would come back to play his dad Gloin. I'm sure these younger actors will bring it, but after the spot on casting of Martin Freeman, this other casting threw me.

And I really do not understand Elijah Wood and Cate Blanchet being announced to return but no word on Weaving. I hope this is just to accommodate a schedule, but the lack of official word bothers me.

Yeah, I mentioned it somewhere earlier in this thread and totally agree with the odd actor choices for the Dwarves, they are all far too young to play these old-timers. Matter of fact, Kili and Fili were the youngest of the dwarves at 82 and 77, as I recall, with Thorin being 195 years old when he died.

HD figures on youtube
    Where was this news posted? I cant find it anywhere else but here.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Where was this news posted? I cant find it anywhere else but here.
    It was on a New Zealand web site.

http://nz.movies.yahoo.com/news/arti...n-new-zealand/

and here

http://nz.movies.yahoo.com/news/arti...-hobbit-movie/

Hope this helps.

HD figures on youtube
    Thanks alot!! Man, my excitment is now returning for this! After all the setbacks, I thought it was a bust, but it looks like its all going to work out.

Well, now they are adding Christopher Lee's name, so I assume we can expect Saruman to appear again, and further leads me to believe we will definately be seeing what Gandalf was doing while he was away from Bilbo and Company. But still no mention of Weaving. And as for the teaser pictures, I was expecting more than Peter Jackson posing in Bilbo's home.

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniver...story/feature/
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; March 26, 2011 at 01:23am.

HD figures on youtube
    Yes!! I was hoping Lee would be in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Yeah, I mentioned it somewhere earlier in this thread and totally agree with the odd actor choices for the Dwarves, they are all far too young to play these old-timers. Matter of fact, Kili and Fili were the youngest of the dwarves at 82 and 77, as I recall, with Thorin being 195 years old when he died.
    It must have been commercial reasons. They figured they needed some young faces and not a bunch of gray bearded stars for their movie. It's just a shame though. Armitage and Turner particularly ought to be playing a man and an elf, not dwarves. I'd have saved them for the Silmarillion--even though the pressure to make that won't arrive for another 10 years when everyone realizes they can make money there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Well, now they are adding Christopher Lee's name, so I assume we can expect Saruman to appear again, and further leads me to believe we will definately be seeing what Gandalf was doing while he was away from Bilbo and Company. But still no mention of Weaving. And as for the teaser pictures, I was expecting more than Peter Jackson posing in Bilbo's home.

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniver...story/feature/
    Yes to Lee's return! I wonder how they'll accommodate him staying in the UK. I agree that's a lame teaser. The only reason I know it's not left over from LOTR is PJ's weight.

I can't quite believe this has finally started filming, I really was starting to think this movie would never see the light of day.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

You know they are casting dwarvs guys with beards so your only gonna see from the noe up and lest wait and see them in costume before doom this movie. Also remember they have quite a journey and really old men it be hard on all these things they do. In Jackson i trust.

John Rhys-Davies didn't have a problem LOL

I enjoyed this - made the rounds in NZ news.

Okay, now correct me if i'm wrong, but I could have SWORN this was posted a day or two ago and I commented on it being awesome. Was it taken down for some reason?

Anyway, I'll say it again: AWESOME! I love this, and I hope they keep up with the blog as the movie goes along.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Well the obviously can't show details but behind the scene stuff yes. Its a nice little tease but i don't want to see what there doing to the extent the movie is ruined. However any news is cool news at early stages.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Okay, now correct me if i'm wrong, but I could have SWORN this was posted a day or two ago and I commented on it being awesome. Was it taken down for some reason?

Anyway, I'll say it again: AWESOME! I love this, and I hope they keep up with the blog as the movie goes along.
    It wasn't embedded so it was deleted.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Well, isn't this interesting?

It's Official: Ian Holm Returns as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit' April 23, 2011 05:46:57 GMT

Director Peter Jackson has confirmed through his Facebook page that Holm will star as the elder version of Bilbo Baggins in the upcoming movie.

Ian Holm will reprise his "Lord of the Rings" role in "The Hobbit". Although Martin Freeman has taken the lead role of Bilbo Baggins in the adventure fantasy movie, director Peter Jackson has confirmed via his Facebook account that Holm will still make an appearance in the film as the elder version of Baggins.

"One comment that came up from the recent video blog was the Bilbo voice at the end - many of you assumed it was Sir Ian Holm," the post read. "Whilst Ian will be returning as the older Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, that recording was actually Martin Freeman's voice, taken from a script read through we recorded when the cast first arrived. I have to admit, I wasn't sure who it was when I first heard it, either. Cheers, Peter J".

"The Hobbit" focuses on Bilbo Baggins who joins a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain, first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets Gollum, the creature that will change his life forever.

Beside Freeman and Holm, the forthcoming film also has Richard Armitage on the cast line-up to play Thorin. Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom, and Andy Serkis will also reprise their "Lord of the Rings" roles as Gandalf the Grey, Frodo Baggins, Legolas, and Gollum respectively. Serkis additionally serves as second unit director in the film which is due in December 2012.

© AceShowbiz.com
    And still no word on Hugo Weaving as Elrond? And are they going to have to digitally remove Ian's face from the 'FOTR' flashback and replace it with Martin's? "Legendary warrior" Thorin Oakenshield? Say what?

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00039990.html
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 24, 2011 at 12:36am.

HD figures on youtube
    Since Frodo, and Old Bilbo are in it, I'm wondering if the movie opens up where ROTK left off, on the ship? Maybe Bilbo & Gandalf tell the tale on the way.

Latest News...

Orlando Bloom rejoins Peter Jackson in 'The Hobbit'
    May 27, 2011, 4:12 PM EST
    By Joshua L. Weinstein
    TheWrap
    Orlando Bloom will return to Middle Earth in "The Hobbit," director Peter Jackson revealed on his Facebook page Friday.

"Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas," the director wrote. "I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I'm thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older -- and he doesn't! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf."

It was widely rumored that Bloom, who originally gained fame playing Legolas in Jackson's 2001 film "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," would reprise the role in the new movie.

In addition to the 2001 film, Bloom played the role in 2002's "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and in 2003's "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellan, Andy Serkis and Ian Holm also are back from the 2001 film, which is now filming in New Zealand.

It's actually a two-part movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's books. The first of the two movies is scheduled for a December 2012 release. The second is expected to come out a year later.