Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Thread

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/...3-321e454c7f80

They have some photos of the dwarves,the one that seems to causing some fuss is fili and kili cuz they don't have long beards,nor look very dwarven.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbsdrg View Post

They have some photos of the dwarves,the one that seems to causing some fuss is fili and kili cuz they don't have long beards,nor look very dwarven.
    That's because they don't look right. Fili and Kili and Fili are 80+/- year old dwarves, the fact that they seem to be trying to sex up the dwarves with Aiden Turner. All the women... were going cuckoo for Turner, i.e. 'Watch out Legolas.' In the book these two are described with yellow beards and blue hoods, so blonde isn't out of the question. But it specifically says that Kili's beard has to be cut because of all the webbing stuck in it after the encounter with the spiders of Mirkwood.

For comparision, Gimli, son of Gloin, was 139 at the start of the Fellowship. And Thorin is 195 (the oldest of the dwarven party) when he dies at the end of The Hobbit. All the other dwarves shown so far look like dwarves, Kili and Fili look like they could be Men or in Kili's case, an Elf.

EDIT:

They've released the picture of Thorin Oakenshield. And instead of looking like the old dwarf he's supposed to be, he looks like a KLINGON!!!! At least Orcrist looks good.
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; July 17, 2011 at 05:42pm.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by bcbsdrg View Post

http://media.social.s-msn.com/images...DWF-003550.jpg
    What is wrong with different Dwarvs for age and area differeances. I mean Gondorians are not Like Rohan horsemen. The same as Rivendall Elves are different from Lothlorian and Mirkwood Elves.
    Its not that big of a deal for me.
    I think they all look cool and my biggest question is why does Bifur have part of an ax in his skull. I want to hear that story somewhere in the movies.

No Comic-Con showing for the Hobbit.

"Peter Jackson: No 'Hobbit' at Comic-Con

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Film director Peter Jackson threw some cold water on the hopes of 'Hobbit' fans heading to Comic-Con International in San Diego this week when he said there will be no surprise presentation of his films at the pop culture gathering.

In a posting on his Facebook page, Jackson said it was too early to show any film clips of the widely-anticipated movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" at Comic-Con, as had been speculated.

"Bad news is that we won't be doing any 'Hobbit' presentation," Jackson wrote. Movie studios "New Line and Warner Bros. were very happy to support a presentation, but I declined, simply because I felt it was too early. There's so much more of the films still to shoot."

Jackson, of course, directed the three "Lord of the Rings" movies and in the process won an Academy Award for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." He also built a huge fan base who would do just about anything for an early glimpse of "The Hobbit" movies, which are currently being filmed.

There will be two films based on the Tolkien novel. The first is set for release in 2012.

Jackson did have some good news for fans, however.

"At least you don't have to travel to San Diego to see it," Jackson wrote in his posting.
    Comic-Con, which officially begins on Friday (NZT), is a huge convention attended by lovers of comic books and sci-fi movies and TV shows, and it is widely used by Hollywood studios to promote future films."

I don't mind. And sure Fili and Kili are like 80, but that's YOUNG for dwarves. I've always pictured them young. It's still better than the no-beard dwarves in Dragon Age.

My excitement isn't diminished by silly things.

Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.

and the rest,

Last edited by sonofblaine; July 21, 2011 at 10:04am.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    I don't mind. And sure Fili and Kili are like 80, but that's YOUNG for dwarves. I've always pictured them young. It's still better than the no-beard dwarves in Dragon Age.
    Yes, that may be young for Dwarves, but Kili and Fili are brothers and both are described in the book. Fili looks okay, but Kili doesn't even look related to Fili, and still looks more like a Ranger or Elf.

But it was not. It was two more dwarves, both with blue hoods, silver belts, and yellow beards; and each of them carried a bag of tools and a spade. In they hopped, as soon as the door began to open -- Bilbo was hardly surprised at all.

And as for beards, their lack of beards can be explained by the fact that had to cut of Fili's beard off after the encounter with the spiders of Mirkwood, so it could apply to Kili too.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Yes, that may be young for Dwarves, but Kili and Fili are brothers and both are described in the book. Fili looks okay, but Kili doesn't even look related to Fili, and still looks more like a Ranger or Elf.

But it was not. It was two more dwarves, both with blue hoods, silver belts, and yellow beards; and each of them carried a bag of tools and a spade. In they hopped, as soon as the door began to open -- Bilbo was hardly surprised at all.

And as for beards, their lack of beards can be explained by the fact that had to cut of Fili's beard off after the encounter with the spiders of Mirkwood, so it could apply to Kili too.
    True, but either way it's nitpicky to me. I'm a massive Tolkien fan. Read not only the hobbit MANY times as well as LOTR, but am one of the few people I know who didn't think the Sillmarillian was hard to understand and read it several times. And personally, the beard debacle doesn't get to me at all.

The only thing I find myself really worrying about is the Trollshaw. That's one of my favorite scenes, so after the trolls in LOTR (big brutes in loinclothes) I hope these more intelligent trolls are handled well.

But I guess it's like ANY adapted material. There's always going to be people who complain, so I'm just going to ignore it all and like or dislike it no matter how many geeks rant.

Yes, I'm concerned about the troll scene as well, including the Mirkwood spiders, which also speak, unlike Shelob.

Thanks for posting Production Video #3, loved the end!
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

So clearly they must be telling the story of the White Council, Galadriel was another character NOT in the book. And I do believe the reason the vlog was filmed in England was specifically for the person at the end. As he didn't think he was up to flying across the world anymore.

And I do believe the reason the vlog was filmed in England was specifically for the person at the end. As he didn't think he was up to flying across the world anymore.
    Yeah thats right he wont travel any more, says he's to old.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Yeah thats right he wont travel any more, says he's to old.
    But not too old to ROCK!!

Last edited by sonofblaine; July 23, 2011 at 08:32am.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I'm still wondering why The Hobbit film wasn't made before the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. It IS the first adventure of the story and brings about some important plot points that are pivotal in LOTR.
    A thousand percent agree.

Like others have said.... if Ian is out, I'm out too.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    A thousand percent agree.

Like others have said.... if Ian is out, I'm out too.
    You're a little behind on your news. Ian is very much in. You can watch the production videos and see his interviews and him in make-up on set.

As for making LOTR before the Hobbit, I don't see a problem. In fact, it seems a much better move. As much as I love the Hobbit, LOTR has a much more marketable tone, with it's drama and more higher adventure. In this way, they can tweak the Hobbit to reflect more of the tone of LOTR.

Lee Pace?! Pushing Daisies Lee Pace?? As Thranduil? Say what? How did I miss that? Don't get me wrong, I though he was great as Ned in PD

I knew he had been cast as Garrett for the last Twilight film, and I can honestly see him in that role. But as the Elven King of Mirkwood? Hmmm...

And Luke Evans as Bard...another interesting choice.

Movie mayhem!
    Lee Pace?! Pushing Daisies Lee Pace?? As Thranduil? Say what? How did I miss that? Don't get me wrong, I though he was great as Ned in PD

I knew he had been cast as Garrett for the last Twilight film, and I can honestly see him in that role. But as the Elven King of Mirkwood? Hmmm...

And Luke Evans as Bard...another interesting choice.
    Yea I thought that was a little odd too. lol

Enjoy!

"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I can't wait to return to Middle Earth. It's like we never left.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Two things right off the bat:

1) The song the dwarves sang is chilling in the most epic way.

2) I love the sense that this is a grand adventure full of danger instead of a war to save the world. While LotR was amazing, it was its own thing, and I get a sense that this is going to perfectly capture what it needs to be.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I can tell I'm going to have a hard time not humming the Jules Bass/Maury Laws songs from the 1977 version, but that song the Dwaves is priceless.

It looks so beautiful, I think I'll be very glad Jackson ended up directing these (although I'm sorry not to get the non-hyena version of the Wargs that Del Toro promised).

Looks good, I can see they are trying to use the beards and some costumes to distinguish the dwarfs who even in the story could be easily confused.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

AAARRRGGHHHH!!! 12 more months!!!

OMGOMGOMG. I can't believe it's NEXT december!! AAAGH! I can't friggin' wait!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

AAARRRGGHHHH!!! 12 more months!!!
    LOL! I Know!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    That not only made my day, but my christmas.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980