Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Thread

That made my year, I cannot wait and will definitly see this opening night with my wife

The Dwarves song was chilling and the end to the trailer with Gollum just made me grin
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Glad to see a trailer. Can't believe its still a year away, though having said that there was one point when I didn't think this film was never going to see the light if day. Definitely going to see this on the opening day.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Now THAT'S a trailer to get excited about!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    So excited for this. I'm glad it's about the "adventure" not necessarily to save mankind.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Oh crap, as much as I love Jackson's work, we've now gone from two films to three. Sounds to me like WB may be just trying to milk the cash cow for one more stretch. Especially since they had just finished principal photography. It seems there may be a lot of liberties taken now. This is a quote from his Facebook page.

An unexpected journey
    by Peter Jackson on Monday, July 30, 2012 at 11:30am ·

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; July 30, 2012 at 02:34pm.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    There'd better be a LOT of the Silmarillon/appendices stuff in here - no way is the Hobbit alone worth three movies.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    There'd better be a LOT of the Silmarillon/appendices stuff in here - no way is the Hobbit alone worth three movies.
    There had better be, concerning the movie already has a bunch of characters that weren't even in the book, Legolas, Frodo, that new elf chick, etc. I figured that second movie was going to involve where Gandalf kept disappearing to during the voyage to the Lonely Mountain, i.e. the White Council, Dol Guldur and the Necromancer. But a third movie seems to be stretching what we have of Tolkien's material thin.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Great news but is the Hobbit still going to be wrapped up in the second film and this new third film just be stuff from Silmarillon/appendices or are they going to edit the second film with this new stuff to stretch the Hobbit story over three films?

Wanted:

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Oh crap, as much as I love Jackson's work, we've now gone from two films to three.
    Judging how good the LOTR trilogy was with the extended versions, I'm happy about this. I don't think Jackson is going to damage his films adding a bunch of nonsense just to make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Great news but is the Hobbit still going to be wrapped up in the second film and this new third film just be stuff from Silmarillon/appendices or are they going to edit the second film with this new stuff to stretch the Hobbit story over three films?
    I don't think we'll have a film of just appendices, only hardcore fans would watch a third film of extra scenes when the story is over by the second one, it would be a box office disaster. Surely they'll balance the material in a way that makes sense.
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    I don't think we'll have a film of just appendices, only hardcore fans would watch a third film of extra scenes when the story is over by the second one, it would be a box office disaster. Surely they'll balance the material in a way that makes sense.
    I have no idea what this appendices are, but I will see it no matter what because LOTR is the greatest movie trilogy ever made and I will watch anything he releases that takes place in Middle Earth.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I have no idea what this appendices are, but I will see it no matter what because LOTR is the greatest movie trilogy ever made and I will watch anything he releases that takes place in Middle Earth.
    The appendices are information - sort of cliff notes/bonus chapters, at the end of LOTR that fill in not only some of the backstory, but also the eventual fates of the main characters. (Who dies when, etc.) Most of the Aragorn/Arwen storyline from the trilogy comes from one of the appendices.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait for the first two movies but the idea of a third just feels forced.

The appendices are information - sort of cliff notes/bonus chapters, at the end of LOTR that fill in not only some of the backstory, but also the eventual fates of the main characters. (Who dies when, etc.) Most of the Aragorn/Arwen storyline from the trilogy comes from one of the appendices.
    What??!! They killed Aragorn in the extra bio material!!! How could you? I'm never buying any of these toys again! And they killed Gimli before his toy even came out. OMG!

New Trailer

It was released today. Looking good. I love the look of Radagast the Brown, played by ex Doctor Who Sylvester McCoy:

Heroic Warrior
    Who's gonna be Smaug?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Who's gonna be Smaug?
    Benedict Cumberbatch.

I have to say, I'm loving the feeling of going back to this world. The trailer makes it look absolutely gorgeous. It's nice to see the familiar faces, too.

Heroic Warrior
    I want to see this so badly. Maybe they'll release the Rankin/Bass version of it on blu-ray to promote the film.

Still not sure how I feel about the 3 movie split, but the trailer sure does look nice!

Heroic Warrior
    By way of clarification, the supplemental material for the movies doesn't come from the Silmarillion. PJ doesn't have the rights to do anything from the Silmarillion. Some of it might come from the Lord of the Rings appendix. But the biggest non-Hobbit source for the movie is a book called "Unfinished Tales." PJ has the rights to Unfinished Tales. I'm hoping to be amazed by these.

I should add that I really hope that there aren't too many plot changes. The way that PJ pitted Frodo against Sam and put Frodo and Gollum on the same "team" in Return of the King "in order to add drama" makes that movie almost unwatchable to me. There are changes to the Two Towers that bother me, too (Faramir, anyone?). The stuff changed in the Fellowship is more forgivable to me because the movie captured the feel of what LOTR should have been. Without exception, every time that PJ stuck with the source material, it turned out better than when he and the other writers went their own way. I hope he learned his lesson for The Hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I should add that I really hope that there aren't too many plot changes. The way that PJ pitted Frodo against Sam and put Frodo and Gollum on the same "team" in Return of the King "in order to add drama" makes that movie almost unwatchable to me. There are changes to the Two Towers that bother me, too (Faramir, anyone?). The stuff changed in the Fellowship is more forgivable to me because the movie captured the feel of what LOTR should have been. Without exception, every time that PJ stuck with the source material, it turned out better than when he and the other writers went their own way. I hope he learned his lesson for The Hobbit.
    Not to specifically disagree with your opinion of the changes, but what lesson would you expect PJ to learn? The movies made gobs of money, won tons of Oscars, and are generally well-regarded. I wouldn't even know where he'd get feedback that script changes were unpopular in some cases.

Given that they're breaking the Hobbit into three and adding (presumably) quite a bit, I would expect there's probably going to be some artistic license involved.

I don't care about small plot changes or the fact it is split into 3 movies all I have to say is

THIS LOOKS EPIC

I LOVE the LOTR movies and I can't wait to see the Hobbit and eventually add them to the set because if the trailers are anything to go by this trilogy is going to be AWESOME

Heroic Warrior
    Not to specifically disagree with your opinion of the changes, but what lesson would you expect PJ to learn?
    You're absolutely right. Wishful thinking on my part.

I went to see it last night and loved it

sure they've changed a few things just like they did with the LOTR trilogy and for the most part I could see why they made the changes, but one thing that bothered me is how Bilbo finds the ring. In the prologue of the FOTR film Bilbo is on his hands and knee's crawling and feeling his way as the cave/passage is so dark he can't see properly and this is how he finds the ring, he feels it on the floor with his fingers (and if I remember correctly this is how it happens in the book). But in the Hobbit film he's just walking along, see's the ring and picks it up. Puzzles me how they got it right in one film but not the other when its the same people who made them. This was the only part that disappointed me.

Here's a list some changes for anyone who's interested:
    http://www.theonering.com/complete-list-of-film-changes

Apparently the Extended Edition has already been cut, adds another 20 mins and will be released in the fourth quarter of 2013.

Wanted:

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    What this movie REALLY needs is the incorporation of the Leonard Nimoy Bilbo Baggins song!

Even if only over the credits or something like that.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"