Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Hobbit Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    While my wife's family was in town for thanksgiving we were all discussing the Hobbit. My wife's sister-in-law totally called for no spoilers on a book written in 1937. Seriously, what can people talk abotu these days?
    the same with a 21 years old friend of mine. He kept saying "no spoilers!" and I was trying to make him undesrtand that is based on a book written 80 years ago. So, whats next, no spoiler on the "war and peace" movie?

anyway watched it and enjoied it more than LOTR. see, there was a huge problem when I ent to see the first trilogy, I grew up basically with the bakshi thing. For me tLOTR was not all that really desaturated and boring colours palettes (grey, light grey, celeste, light blue) but more of a strong contrast between the darkest sides (dungeons and such) and the light (mostly red or orange, fires and torches)....so when it came up on the screen as just a really methodic fantasy with too much medieval feeling to it an not so much honiric vibe i was just meh. when I read the books I was 12 and I was into D&D and warhammer and the bakshis movie as well as the illustartions for those games- so clearly those made me feel the story with that visual background and that was really fun visually imo.

in this movie I finally saw something missed in the trilogy (the flashback battle between orcs and dwarves and the scene with the goblin king) where you can find a 70s vibe to it. 3 movies, for a book thats a half of "the company of the ring", is a little bit too much but I enjoied how thy menaged every scene.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Never mind LOTR, the opening scenes of An Unexpected Journey show a 111-year old Bilbo, alive and well! If anyone thinks Bilbo surviving is a spoiler, well, then they simply haven't been paying attention.
    the opening scene is clearly the prelude to the fest bilbo is preparing at the ebginnig of TLOTR and if you read the book you knew that by some dialogues between bilbo and frodo.

I saw it last night and loved it--yes--even in 48 fps 3d I thought the 48 fps looked nice --gave clarity I dont think I have ever seen in a movie before, didn't feel like it cheapened the look of the film at all. I plan to see it again this weekend

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I always interpreted "Desolation" as "wasteland", basically. And since the beginning of Unexpected Journey is Bilbo describing his younger self's adventures, it's pretty hard to call his survival a spoiler.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    the same with a 21 years old friend of mine. He kept saying "no spoilers!" and I was trying to make him undesrtand that is based on a book written 80 years ago. So, whats next, no spoiler on the "war and peace" movie?

anyway watched it and enjoied it more than LOTR. see, there was a huge problem when I ent to see the first trilogy, I grew up basically with the bakshi thing. For me tLOTR was not all that really desaturated and boring colours palettes (grey, light grey, celeste, light blue) but more of a strong contrast between the darkest sides (dungeons and such) and the light (mostly red or orange, fires and torches)....so when it came up on the screen as just a really methodic fantasy with too much medieval feeling to it an not so much honiric vibe i was just meh. when I read the books I was 12 and I was into D&D and warhammer and the bakshis movie as well as the illustartions for those games- so clearly those made me feel the story with that visual background and that was really fun visually imo.

in this movie I finally saw something missed in the trilogy (the flashback battle between orcs and dwarves and the scene with the goblin king) where you can find a 70s vibe to it. 3 movies, for a book thats a half of "the company of the ring", is a little bit too much but I enjoied how thy menaged every scene.

- - - Updated - - -

the opening scene is clearly the prelude to the fest bilbo is preparing at the ebginnig of TLOTR and if you read the book you knew that by some dialogues between bilbo and frodo.
    I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, I plan on going next week on my birthday and after my girlfriend comes in. But The Hobbit and LOTR are also tonally different stories. I have come across quite a few people who liked one or the other but not both.

And I figured SCB was joking at least someone, my statements were more if anyone actually complained they were giving a spoiler away.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    They put a spoiler in the second movie title.
    Where is the spoiler?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Where is the spoiler?
    It's titled Desolation of Smaug. Nothing worse than Return of the King.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Like Thatman I always assumed the title was talking about what Smaug left in his wake.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Can't wait to go see this tomorrow on my birthday
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    It's titled Desolation of Smaug. Nothing worse than Return of the King.
    So it is talking about the damage he did to the mines. What is so spoilerific about it?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So it is talking about the damage he did to the mines. What is so spoilerific about it?
    I believe SCB was making light of internet fandoms. OMG THE TRAILER SPOILS THE WHOLE MOVIE OMMMMMMG.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I believe SCB was making light of internet fandoms. OMG THE TRAILER SPOILS THE WHOLE MOVIE OMMMMMMG.
    YOu mean like how Empire Strikes Back tells us the Empire is going to win and Return of the Jedi means Luke becomes a full on Jedi and defeats the empire?

Considering the HObbit's full name as a book is The Hobbit or There and Back Again.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I saw it last night and loved it--yes--even in 48 fps 3d I thought the 48 fps looked nice --gave clarity I dont think I have ever seen in a movie before, didn't feel like it cheapened the look of the film at all. I plan to see it again this weekend
    HFR: Agree. Awesome. More real than real life. My brain had a tough time processing all of that info, but wow. Yeah.
    1. Please like me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pop-C...9994401?ref=hl
    2. Please read my fanfiction: USURPERS http://he-man.org/community/view.php...3&UserID=38050
    3. Please go here: www.mlhumble.deviantart.com
    4. Please see my list of 2000+ comics to trade for MOTUC: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ics-and-trades
    5. Thank you
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Saw The Hobbit yesterday for my birthday and really enjoyed it
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Just saw it with friends escaping the shopping mall hell next to the theater. What a fun movie! It is definitely long and deliberate, but I loved it! The imagery of Erebor is gorgeous. I was surprised about how they handled Bilbo's separation from the Dwarves before the Riddles in the Dark, and also by older Bilbo giving us the exposition on the history of Lonely Mountain instead of directly from Thorin and Gandalf. I liked the choices though, they weren't expected but I found them satisfying. I did not expect some of Bilbo's heroics either, but they were great too. Also, how awesomely MOTU was that lead Orc on the white warg?!!!

I saw this in 3D, but not IMAX or the 48ps, and it still gave me eye strain so I'm glad I saw it the way I did.
    Last edited by gbagok; December 22, 2012 at 05:23pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I've seen it now in both 2D and 3D HFR. I'm going to see it again next week in IMAX 3D, which I think will be my favorite. The 3D is terrific but the HFR is just not for me. It's like when you put your playback on x1.5, especially in the action sequences. You get a bit used to it by the end but it just distracts so much.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I've seen it now in both 2D and 3D HFR. I'm going to see it again next week in IMAX 3D, which I think will be my favorite. The 3D is terrific but the HFR is just not for me. It's like when you put your playback on x1.5, especially in the action sequences. You get a bit used to it by the end but it just distracts so much.
    I just watched it today in 24 fps 3d. First time I saw it was IMAX 3D 48 fps. I'm torn. the 48 fps was awesome during fight sequences, but I thought it was distracting during normal scenes. The opposite of course being true for the 24 fps.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Finally saw this! I was initially thrown off by the look of the higher frame rate, but by the end of the first hour, it wasn't an issue anymore. It was an awesome flick! Nice to see all of the returning faces reprising their roles and I was pleasantly surprised by all of the action and adventure. And here I thought the prequel to LOTR was going to be slow and exposition-filled...

I'm eagerly awaiting this on DVD! Bring on the Extended Editions!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Went and saw it in 3d tonight and loved it. Can't wait for the second part and the extended edition DVD as well. It was amazing. Didn't notice anything about the framerate so I'm assuming it was normal, which is totally fine with me!

The movie was great, I didn't see it in 3d or anything just regular ol' 2d.

I saw it and thought it was great. Knowing nothing of the original book, I went in with no expectations and came out as I felt with the LOTR movies, pleasantly surprised.

Ian McKellan is so awesome in his role. He really lights up the screen. The visuals were great, but some of the creature designs looked a little more like Guellimero Del Toro than with the LOTR films. It isn't a bad thing, but there were some stylistic differences that I did not expect.

I would give this movie a 7 out of 10.

Live event with Peter Jackson for movie owners starts in 2 min! Looking forward to exclusive sneak peak at the next movie!

There is a great clip from the next movie online from the next movie! Surprised they showed that already.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    There is a great clip from the next movie online from the next movie! Surprised they showed that already.
    They showed a bunch of stuff in that live event earlier today....I'm pumped to see part two now. Just watched the 3d version again on blu ray this weekend and it was better the second time around!