Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do The Bios Help Increase, Decrease, Or Have No Effect On The Popularity Of MOTUC?

Do The Bios Help Increase, Decrease, Or Have No Effect On The Popularity Of MOTUC?

I know the lack of them might lead to a lot fewer threads on the MOTUC section of the forums here, but do the bios have any effect on MOTUC? Do they help the popularity of the toyline due to increased conversations about them, hurt the popularity for the same reason, or is there no connection between the bios & MOTUC's success?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 11, 2010 at 11:23pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Some characters like Scareglow or Webstor have a deeper background, so its cool to have new info about the less-known characters.

All the mess with hundreds of Power Swords and other facts like the multiple He-Men are efforts for trying to adapt vintage concept to the MOTU mythos, but they are doing it the story too complicated in my opinion...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I think there will always be people that hate it because it doesn't match one of the previous now defunct lines canon.

For me I think it's interesting to see how they're reworking these very different backgrounds into one timeline.

In the end though I imagine the Bios don't have much effect the popularity. If you hate the new Bios you'll just ignore them for the cool updated figures.

I don't know about the general popularity, but the bios certainly increase my personal appreciation for these figures. I like how they made savage He-Man Wun-Dar and jungle He-Man Oo-Larr. Hopefully they'll work Vikor into the bios eventually. Finding ways to legitimize variants as independent characters seems like a great idea to me. That's why I like the Demo-Man aspect of Skeletor's bio.

Also, I hope they have something great in store for the Carnivus bio, because that could influence whether or not I buy him. If they tie him to the central Eternian tower (as his shield implies) or if they set him up as the nemesis of a cool villain, then he might become 'story-essential' enough to buy despite his silly-looking head.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    I don't know about the general popularity, but the bios certainly increase my personal appreciation for these figures. I like how they made savage He-Man Wun-Dar and jungle He-Man Oo-Larr. Hopefully they'll work Vikor into the bios eventually. Finding ways to legitimize variants as independent characters seems like a great idea to me. That's why I like the Demo-Man aspect of Skeletor's bio.

Also, I hope they have something great in store for the Carnivus bio, because that could influence whether or not I buy him. If they tie him to the central Eternian tower (as his shield implies) or if they set him up as the nemesis of a cool villain, then he might become 'story-essential' enough to buy despite his silly-looking head.
    I agree with everything you just said except that, even though I also want them to make Chief Carnivus important to MOTU with his bio, I'll be buying him anyway since I think he's so cool looking.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I used to love Motu, but after reading the bios I sold off my collection out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I know it might lead to a lot fewer threads on the MOTUC section of the forums here, but do the bios have any effect on MOTUC?
    What does "it" refer to in the above sentence? And how do you know that it might lead to what you describe?
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    What does "it" refer to in the above sentence? And how do you know that it might lead to what you describe?
    I altered my first sentence before I posted but I guess I didn't entirely fix it.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Ultimately I think the bios have no effect on actual sales of the line.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Some bios are cool while other bios are just plain horrible. Don't even get me started with the "real" names crappola!

I know, some of the names are really cool sounding while the others... I said don't get me started!

Anyway, it's the figures that I'm really after regardless of how the bios are explained. So to me, it don't really affect me as much as it used to, like in the beginning.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Personally I think the bios are good for discussion, but don't really affect sales at all. I like that it gives you a bit of a story that you could choose to incorporate or not.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think the bios help the popularity of MOTUC. The fans are discussing them and we get new fans who read these bios and want to discuss them as well. Despite many detractors, each and every bio makes news around here since it's the MOTU fan's only source of regular entertainment.

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    Ultimately I think the bios have no effect on actual sales of the line.
    I agree. I mean, I know some people like them, some hate them, some have mixed feelings, but ultimately we are in this for the figures themselves. I doubt that the bios, themselves haven't had a big impact on sales.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I don't think the bios affect the popularity of MOTUC in any discernible way. It's the excellently sculpted figures themselves coupled with the desire to recapture one's youth that propels the sales of these toys.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; July 12, 2010 at 03:50pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

There was a poster in the Gygor thread who said that now that Gygor's a bad guy, he wants the figure.

Seeing as how I'm just going to ignore the bio and put him with my good guy figures, I really don't understand this logic, but it's germane to the topic.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Are we talking popularity or are we talking sales?

If we're talking sales, probably not, unless we are talking about new characters. Now this idea is more towards the fans who are looking forward to new characters. While I don't think the bios generate sales, they might possibly help to influence decisions toward "iffy" characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    There was a poster in the Gygor thread who said that now that Gygor's a bad guy, he wants the figure.
    That's what I was thinking of. Zodak too. Once it was explained that Zodak was a different character from Zodac, some people decided to buy him.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 12, 2010 at 03:57pm.

Seeing as how I'm just going to ignore the bio and put him with my good guy figures, I really don't understand this logic, but it's germane to the topic.
    Whether I was a fan of them or not, I've been sticking with the bios as canon. Having said that, I think I'm doing this as well with Gygor.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Are we talking popularity or are we talking sales?
    Imo, popularity usually leads to sales. If you like their products but don't buy any of them, Mattel has no use for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That's what I was thinking of. Zodak too. Once it was explained that Zodak was a different character from Zodac, some people decided to buy him.
    I think that's a little different though. Since MOTUC is one canon, if Zodak was the same character, he'd be considered a replacement for Zodac. For Zodac fans(there are actually some of us out there), that is a lot harder to take then just making him a similar looking character who adds to the MOTU mythology rather than erasing something else.

JOIN THE GROUP...

IMO the bios are for fans, it's a little plus... that's all.

Only new comics or cartoon would make the popularity of the line increase.

All the toys lines exist because a cartoon or a comic exists.

MOTUC line lives on what was done in the past... it's more a tribute to MOTU than a true new chapter in the MOTU.

The bios aren't enough!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I think the bios increase the popularity of MOTUC, but not because they are good or bad. They are just something to talk about on here. We are starved for a MOTU story. There's no comics, cartoon, anything. The bios is what we get. Personally, I could do without the bios as there are very few that I actually approve of. Most of them are terrible anyways.

Yep, that poster would be me.

What can I say, I've always loved villains more than heroes my entire existance. I probably wouldve got Gygor regardless but now that he is officially a bad guy, I want him for sure. Plus I think the preternia villains could use some more help on their side...for now at least.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Plus I think the preternia villains could use some more help on their side...for now at least.
    Considering they killed off King Grayskull & Tytus, I think the Preternian villains are doing more than OK.

JOIN THE GROUP...

The bios aren't enough!
    Lightning fast sell-outs of EVERY item EVERY month would seem to disagree with your assessment.

Anyway, of course the bios help sell the toys. I doubt the majority of collectors will buy a figure just because it says something nifty in the bio. But more than that, the bios create buzz around the line, which invariably attracts new customers. It's pretty simple.

And in a more roundabout way: The bio discussions by Poe Ghostal and on Roast Gooble got me more interested in re-watching the 200x cartoon, while trying desperately to ignore how retard the 200x Power Sword looks. The 200x 'toon got me more interested in some 200x-specific designs or characters.

So when a 200x redeco or character is released and I buy it, it's pretty much a direct result of the bios.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Considering they killed off King Grayskull & Tytus, I think the Preternian villains are doing more than OK.
    Hopefully they can confirm the death of Oo-Larr too then and every other "He-Man" character that Mattel can think up as well.

If Gygor couldve actually taken out "Oo-Larr", I'd actually like him quite a bit.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I am a huge fan of the Bios anyhow, but I don't necessarily think that tehy are driving sales in any major way. I am certainly excited about them, though, as much as I am for the toys themselves at times!

I can't wait for the next Bio reveal!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    If Gygor couldve actually taken out "Oo-Larr", I'd actually like him quite a bit.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Khror View Post
    IMO the bios are for fans, it's a little plus... that's all.

Only new comics or cartoon would make the popularity of the line increase.

All the toys lines exist because a cartoon or a comic exists.

MOTUC line lives on what was done in the past... it's more a tribute to MOTU than a true new chapter in the MOTU.

The bios aren't enough!
    I agree. The bios are interesting, but not enough. The hard part is to build any strong sense of story from the bios. They are too small to build any strong sense of the person and storyline.

That's why I think we need to mini-comics or full on DC MOTUC comics. But that's another thread...