Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filmation-Teela hatched from an egg???

Wow, that's really horrible. It's like the joke pic that I've seen, where the Q is asked: "Where do Easter Eggs come from?"

A new spin on the whole children's tale that "the stork brings babies". Clearly Filmation was for kids.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Clearly Filmation was for kids.
    You think?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Really? I could have sworn their target demographic was 20 to 30 somethings...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Haters gotta hate.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Yeah, whatever guys. I mean, all toy toons from the 80's were for kids, obviously, but this is just juvenile. I'm talking, like 4 or 5 year old level. Just because something was for kids, doesn't mean it can't have more intelligent writing. They're basically pushing the stork story off on kids!!

I just continue to remain bewildered, as to how people continue to defend Filmation, like it's the greatest thing since olive oil. I can kinda understand liking it as a kid (although, as a kid, I took a few ganders at it, and snubbed it immediately), but c'mon, as an adult... What's the appeal?

I wonder if CapitalZero believed in reincarnation?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

..., but c'mon, as an adult... What's the appeal?
    Clearly nothing but:

- the transformation sequences (He-Man & She-Ra)
    - the intro themes

I don't hate the Filmation cartoon, but I've just grown out of these pants. The voice acting was horrible, the dorky characters make you wish to hang yourself after about 5 minutes of watching and the "battles" never deserved the name. I loved this stuff as a kid but today this kind of storytelling doesn't give me the thrills anymore.

A baby on top of a mountain inside an eagle's nest makes just no sense in more than just one way.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I just continue to remain bewildered, as to how people continue to defend Filmation
    I don't know why I'm even bothering but...

This was the cartoon that accompanied the most successful toyline of the 80s and paved the way for other 80s favorites.

It is the most popular AND successful form of MOTU media that almost everyone remembers and watched as a kid back in the 80s.

It was a groundbreaking, first of it's kind cartoon series for many reasons.

It directly spawned 93 episodes of She-Ra Princess of Power after 130 episodes of He-Man.

-------------

Instead of just quoting and hating, why not actually do some research on Filmation.

Here's a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-Man_...se#cite_note-0
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    Clearly nothing but:

- the transformation sequences (He-Man & She-Ra)
    - the intro themes
    Okay, I'll be the first to admit, the transformation sequences for both He-Man and She-Ra were pretty cool on Filmation.

I don't hate the Filmation cartoon, but I've just grown out of these pants. The voice acting was horrible, the dorky characters make you wish to hang yourself after about 5 minutes of watching and the "battles" never deserved the name. I loved this stuff as a kid but today this kind of storytelling doesn't give me the thrills anymore.
    Okay, this makes sense to me.

A baby on top of a mountain inside an eagle's nest makes just no sense in more than just one way.
    Precisely!! *Phew* I thought I was the only one. Not that it would matter much if I was, but it's good to know that I'm not in left field here.

I find I still can appreciate the cartoon as an adult. What I like now that I never noticed as a kid is the really amazing background/landscape art on that show. Almost Bakshi-worthy, IMO.

Considering that the backgrounds were all re-used a million times, they certainly put effort into it. Scenery art in animation is an art lost upon today's productions, especially on TV.
    "Listen, strange women dressed like birds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
    I find I still can appreciate the cartoon as an adult. What I like now that I never noticed as a kid is the really amazing background/landscape art on that show. Almost Bakshi-worthy, IMO.

Considering that the backgrounds were all re-used a million times, they certainly put effort into it. Scenery art in animation is an art lost upon today's productions, especially on TV.
    That's funny because that's the stuff I really appreciated as a kid and still do as an adult. I loved the magical, mystical backgrounds and scenery of Eternia, Etheria, and dimensions beyond.

Not to mention their use of light in animation. Things like dimensional gates, the Spirit of Grayskull, magic, stuff like that. I appreciate the hand drawn/painted effort that went into those amazing scenes MUCH MORE than I will ever accept computer animation/anime. That stuff looks like crap to me. It always reminds me of MSpaint.
    Last edited by Count Marzo; July 15, 2010 at 07:14pm.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I agree. If you look at screensaves of Filmation's MOTU & POP episodes, they actually look better, imo, than 99.9% of the TV cartoons that have aired since then. They may have had to cut corners since they didn't ship their animation out to cheap Asian workers, but the art on their characters and backgrounds is still beautiful 25 years later.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I don't know why I'm even bothering but...

This was the cartoon that accompanied the most successful toyline of the 80s and paved the way for other 80s favorites.

It is the most popular AND successful form of MOTU media that almost everyone remembers and watched as a kid back in the 80s.

It was a groundbreaking, first of it's kind cartoon series for many reasons.
    And that's why you like it so much? That's just circumstantial. That's like saying I still love my favorite shirt when I was 5, and I still try to wear it to this day.

I could see if you said "the animation is top notch", or the "story is so great".... But being the first cartoon of it's kind doesn't make it a good cartoon.

It directly spawned 93 episodes of She-Ra Princess of Power after 130 episodes of He-Man.
    So because it had so many episodes, that's the reason why you like it?
    -------------

Instead of just quoting and hating, why not actually do some research on Filmation.

Here's a start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-Man_...se#cite_note-0
    I've seen that before. There's nothing on there that makes me want to like Filmation any more than I already do.

But I find it rather comical, that Filmation defenders get in such a tizzy, as if I'd tried to take the head of their first born child.

It's just a cartoon. I don't get anywhere near this upset when people put down the 200X Power Sword, or the MYP toon. It's nothing to get upset about.

That's funny because that's the stuff I really appreciate as a kid and still do as an adult. I loved the magical, mysterical backgrounds and scenery of Eternia, Etheria, and dimensions beyond.

Not to mention their use of light in animation. Things like dimensional gates, the Spirit of Grayskull, magic, stuff like that. I appreciate the hand drawn/painted effort that went into those amazing scenes MUCH MORE than I will ever accept computer animation/anime. That stuff looks like crap to me. It always reminds me of MSpaint.
    True but watching the recurring backgrounds and effects won't keep me in front of my TV for more than 20 minutes. Especially not 130 episodes. No offense, I don't wanna be a downer, but this is the way is see it.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

That's funny because that's the stuff I really appreciated as a kid and still do as an adult. I loved the magical, mystical backgrounds and scenery of Eternia, Etheria, and dimensions beyond.

Okay, these are valid reasons to like the toon, not how many episodes the show had.

I'll admit, that the backgrounds and colors for Filmaton were very vivid and vibrant.

But I find it rather comical, that Filmation defenders get in such a tizzy, as if I'd tried to take the head of their first born child.

It's just a cartoon. I don't get anywhere near this upset when people put down the 200X Power Sword, or the MYP toon. It's nothing to get upset about.
    I'm not upset at all. But like everything, it goes both ways. You seem to go out of your way to put down Filmation every chance you get. That's the only reason Filmation fans get in a "tizzy" as you say. I'm not in a tizzy at all. Just bringing the facts about it. Most of the Filmation defenders as you say, have given up and ignored you. Me, I never ignored anyone in the history of message boards as I can handle anything being posted whether I agree or not.

Look, I hate NA with every fiber of my being since I first laid eyes on it but I don't go into the NA forum and hate on it every chance I get. The NA fans would then "get in a tizzy" on me.

Anyways, if you wanted reasons why I still like Filmation to this day...there are many.

- Soundtrack/Music obviously.
    - Backgrounds, lighting effects, hand drawn/painted rather than computer animation as we've already discussed above.
    - I like the short, sweet, and to the point individual stories. I don't care about continuity at all when it comes to cartoons.
    - Voice actors were great. I don't care if anyone thinks they were horrible. I think they are brillaint. There were a handful of voice actors and had to voice MANY characters. Much like how they had to reuse animation.
    - Powerful intro that I will never tire of.
    - Morals aren't a bad thing. Most kids and even some adults could use them nowadays. G.I. Joe's PSA's were worse than MOTU's and I enjoy them both.

I could go on and on...but I wont. It doesn't matter if I post why I like it as you will continue to bash and hate regardless.

Gonna close this by saying I grew up with 80s cartoons and action figures/toys and still appreciate them to this day. Actually I enjoy almost all 80s things. Sure beats the hell out of entertainment nowadays. MOTU was my favorite property then and is now. The Filmation cartoon was my favorite cartoon ever and still is to this day. I don't see those things changing anytime soon and will probably go with me to my grave.

It's all about having an open mind towards it. I've watched Filmation MOTU/POP with the imagination of the child, the mind altering hallucinogen-fueled mind of a rebellious teenager, and the mind of an understanding adult today.

For some of us fans, Filmation MOTU means a great deal to us and was an amazing quality escape from the terrible state that is reality and dealing with it's daily hassles.

/Preach.

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

True but watching the recurring backgrounds and effects won't keep me in front of my TV for more than 20 minutes. Especially not 130 episodes. No offense, I don't wanna be a downer, but this is the way is see it.
    Precisely.

Yeah, whatever guys. I mean, all toy toons from the 80's were for kids, obviously, but this is just juvenile. I'm talking, like 4 or 5 year old level. Just because something was for kids, doesn't mean it can't have more intelligent writing. They're basically pushing the stork story off on kids!!

I just continue to remain bewildered, as to how people continue to defend Filmation, like it's the greatest thing since olive oil. I can kinda understand liking it as a kid (although, as a kid, I took a few ganders at it, and snubbed it immediately), but c'mon, as an adult... What's the appeal?
    Except it was reveled at the end that the Sorceress a.k.a Zoar the falcon is Teela's mother and not that she was brought by a freaking stork!

But you don't care.
    You just wait to hear any details that would justify you posting "BAD WRIIIITTING!!!!"

Yes, the writing could have been better, but that doesn't mean that every freaking episode is horrid. Same goes for many other cartoons. I still find many episodes enjoyable. To me, Filmation's MOTU is a fun adventure.

It's just simply one of those things that you either like or dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    You just wait to hear any details that would justify you posting "BAD WRIIIITTING!!!!"
    This thread is not about bashing "bad writing" or Filmation in general. We ALL watched the cartoon and we ALL loved it as kids, but some of us, like Samurai and myself, are not as connected to the show as you guys are anymore.

From an adults sight, it is just not well written - a plot hole. You don't have to agree with that.

I'm not upset at all. But like everything, it goes both ways. You seem to go out of your way to put down Filmation every chance you get. That's the only reason Filmation fans get in a "tizzy" as you say. I'm not in a tizzy at all.
    Fair enough, but saying that I'm "hating", is absurd. Just like you are not "upset", I'm not "hating".

Just bringing the facts about it.
    "Facts" about what? I'm not hating anything, so that's not factual.

Most of the Filmation defenders as you say, have given up and ignored you.
    That's well within their right. There are times when I ignore the people who gripe about Mattel and the subs, and a host of other subjects.

Me, I never ignored anyone in the history of message boards as I can handle anything being posted whether I agree or not.
    Fair enough as well.

Look, I hate NA with every fiber of my being since I first laid eyes on it but I don't go into the NA forum and hate on it every chance I get. The NA fans would then "get in a tizzy" on me.
    So? They should take up your motto, and not "ignore anyone in the history of message boards as [they] can handle anything being posted whether [they] agree or not".

Anyways, if you wanted reasons why I still like Filmation to this day...there are many.
    I asked from the start, what the appeal is. I was wondering why you gave me all these other reasons, that made no sense. But just the same:

- Soundtrack/Music obviously.
    - Backgrounds, lighting effects, hand drawn/painted rather than computer animation as we've already discussed above.
    Cool, those were pretty nice. {I'm hoping you (AND OTHERS) are taking notice to how I've said several things that I did like about the toon. I also did it in MGM's thread, I said several things that I liked, yet you (AND OTHERS) have seemed to omit that, in lieu of saying that I'm "hating".}

- I like the short, sweet, and to the point individual stories. I don't care about continuity at all when it comes to cartoons.
    Wow, okay.

- Voice actors were great. I don't care if anyone thinks they were horrible. I think they are brillaint. There were a handful of voice actors and had to voice MANY characters. Much like how they had to reuse animation.
    Okay. I liked how He-Man's voice was portrayed, but that's about it.

- Powerful intro that I will never tire of.
    Agreed.

- Morals aren't a bad thing. Most kids and even some adults could use them nowadays. G.I. Joe's PSA's were worse than MOTU's and I enjoy them both.
    Yeah, I'm not mad at those at all.

I could go on and on...but I wont. It doesn't matter if I post why I like it as you will continue to bash and hate regardless.
    Still saying that non-sense, I see. Have at that.

Gonna close this by saying I grew up with 80s cartoons and action figures/toys and still appreciate them to this day. Actually I enjoy almost all 80s things. Sure beats the hell out of entertainment nowadays.
    We're in total agreement. The crap that comes on today is.... Well, crap.

MOTU was my favorite property then and is now. The Filmation cartoon was my favorite cartoon ever and still is to this day. I don't see those things changing anytime soon and will probably go with me to my grave.
    Alrighty then.

It's all about having an open mind towards it. I've watched Filmation MOTU/POP with the imagination of the child, the mind altering hallucinogen-fueled mind of a rebellious teenager, and the mind of an understanding adult today.
    See, I have a problem with this argument, that it's about having an open mind. I've kept and open mind, all these years. I'm still here, as a MOTU fan, ain't I? If I'd gone by my experience with Filmation, I never would've given 200X a chance. I'm as open minded as they come, but I also know what I like and don't like. These 2 notions don't negate each other, and they're not mutually exclusive.

For some of us fans, Filmation MOTU means a great deal to us and was an amazing quality escape from the terrible state that is reality and dealing with it's daily hassles.

/Preach.

The same as with numerous other toons at the time. Doesn't make it good though. And it doesn't justify the absurd aspects of the show, which are clearly evident.

I notice that not many people here have mentioned the ludicrousy of Teela being birthed by a bird in a nest. People seem content to just glaze over it. That's crazy to me.

Just because I have some fond childhood memories of various things, doesn't mean that I can't scrutinize it from an adult perspective.

I do this all the time, and Filmation is no exception to this.

This thread is not about bashing "bad writing" or Filmation in general. We ALL watched the cartoon and we ALL loved it as kids, but some of us, like Samurai and myself, are not as connected to the show as you guys are anymore.

From an adults sight, it is just not well written - a plot hole. You don't have to agree with that.
    What 80s cartoon is "well written" in your view?

And to me, 200x's writing was overdone with everyone being related, everyone having entire races of characters based of them, and so forth. I really need to re-watch that entire series too though.

It's all about preferences and tastes though. No one is wrong for liking or not liking these kinds of things. I prefer Filmation.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Except it was reveled at the end that the Sorceress a.k.a Zoar the falcon is Teela's mother and not that she was brought by a freaking stork!
    Yep, that's why an anthropromorphic human/falcon had a human baby in a "freaking" nest, naked and uncovered, for any enemies (magical, or even, say.... OTHER BIRDS) to become a predator.

But you don't care.
    Nope, not a lick, because none of that makes a morsel of sense.

Hmm, I wonder why..

Yes, the writing could have been better, but that doesn't mean that every freaking episode is horrid.
    That's your opinion. You're certainly welcome to it, as, last time I checked, am I.

Same goes for many other cartoons. I still find many episodes enjoyable. To me, Filmation's MOTU is a fun adventure.
    Okay.

It's just simply one of those things that you either like or dislike.
    Agreed.

TF's Robotech, Visionaries, Ghostbusters.... I could name a few more.

And to me, 200x's writing was overdone with everyone being related, everyone having entire races of characters based of them, and so forth. I really need to re-watch that entire series too though.
    Fair enough.

It's all about preferences and tastes though. No one is wrong for liking or not liking these kinds of things. I prefer Filmation.
    Of course. This is not an attack on persons whatsoever.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; July 15, 2010 at 08:26pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

- Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    - Ulysses 31
    - Galaxy Rangers
    - Saber Rider
    - The Simpsons

- aswell as handfull of episodes from Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra and Bravestarr

That's a little to generalized don't you think? But I get your point, so I won't pick your post to pieces. You simply don't like it.

To me it is just weird to have a standalone Buzz-Off, Webstor or Whiplash coming out of nowhere. To me it is kinda exciting to see some of the characters have had a past life. To me the plot holes created by Filmation are bad storytelling.

I prefer MYP but asides from that, I agree 100%.

Yeah, whatever guys. I mean, all toy toons from the 80's were for kids, obviously, but this is just juvenile. I'm talking, like 4 or 5 year old level.

"...more breaking news from the Ministry of the Bleeding Obvious' Chief Spokesperson SAMURAI36. Up next week - Rainwater: It makes your face wet..."