Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: Filmation-Teela hatched from an egg???

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    - Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    - Ulysses 31
    - Galaxy Rangers
    - Saber Rider
    - The Simpsons

    - aswell as handfull of episodes from Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra and Bravestarr
    I forgot to add Bionic Six to my list as well.

    "Well-Written" to me, translates as something with a plot, and character development over a period of time, not just one episode. The characters are put in different situations (and not RIDICULOUS ones), where we as the viewers get a chance to learn more about them. And the things we do learn don't contradict the things that we previously learned.


    That's a little to generalized don't you think? But I get your point, so I won't pick your post to pieces. You simply don't like it.
    I agree, it is a bit generalized. People are mad at me for saying precisely why I don't like Filmation, but they really don't have a well explained reason for not liking 200X.

    Whenever I ask simple questions such as "what's the appeal?", I get these answers that sound more like indignant defenses, rather than actual explanations.

    To me it is just weird to have a standalone Buzz-Off, Webstor or Whiplash coming out of nowhere. To me it is kinda exciting to see some of the characters have had a past life. To me the plot holes created by Filmation are bad storytelling.
    Agreed. It never made sense that the only people on Eternia to have families, or lives outside of being a Master (or even a villain) are Caucasian humans. Just a planet full of white people, and mutant freaks of various sizes, shapes and colors. And then the "most powerful man in the universe" has blue eyes, blonde hair, and an iron cross on his chest, beating up all the freaks, who mentally and physically can't hold a candle to him. Like, really?

    I took creative writing as a minor in school. Not giving a character any sort of background, whether intentionally or not, leads the reader to not create in bond or care for anything that happens to him.

    Most of Skeletor's minions and lackeys in Filmation are just canon (pun intended) fodder; they mostly all had analogous personalities, no history, and no real motivation behind serving Skeletor.

    In 200X, several times, we got to see motivations, and/or some historical origin for the character. They even did it in the 200X comics, in the IOE series.

    Nothing of the sort for Filmation... Save the one origin story we have, and it's the most ridiculous of them all, as its akin to the stork bringing a baby to the world.

    I prefer MYP but asides from that, I agree 100%.
    Agreed.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  2. #52
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    - Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
    - Ulysses 31
    - Galaxy Rangers
    - Saber Rider
    - The Simpsons

    - aswell as handfull of episodes from Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra and Bravestarr.
    Well, I would say that The Simpsons cannot be compared to Filmation MOTU as The Simpsons is not children's fare and therefore not subject to the same constraints as a children's show. Galaxy Rangers, Ulysses 31 and Saber Rider are Japanese shows where the culture and attitude towards animation is wholly different than the U.S. Most U.S. viewers see cartoons as children's fare whereas Japanese viewers see it in equal terms as other adult genres.

    The only show I really don't know much about is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors or Bravestarr so I can't comment on them. Transformers was aimed at a slightly older age group than MOTU. I say that He-Man, and this is my opinion only, was geared toward 6-10 year old max. Transformers I would say would be 8-12 or 14 year olds max.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well, I would say that The Simpsons cannot be compared to Filmation MOTU as The Simpsons is not children's fare and therefore not subject to the same constraints as a children's show. Galaxy Rangers, Ulysses 31 and Saber Rider are Japanese shows where the culture and attitude towards animation is wholly different than the U.S. Most U.S. viewers see cartoons as children's fare whereas Japanese viewers see it in equal terms as other adult genres.
    The problem, however, is that the Japanese toons were coming over to the USA, and being aired to children. Children in the US took to Japanese anime like white on rice. I was one of those kids.

    This clearly says that the mentality of children in the US was/is clearly being underestimated.

    The only show I really don't know much about is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors or Bravestarr so I can't comment on them. Transformers was aimed at a slightly older age group than MOTU. I say that He-Man, and this is my opinion only, was geared toward 6-10 year old max. Transformers I would say would be 8-12 or 14 year olds max.
    Not saying that what you're saying isn't true, but how did you come to the conclusion that He-Man was aimed at this age target, vs TF's or GI JOE?

    The problem with this, is when I was 8, I thought He-Man was way too silly for me, but I watched it, because there was very little else on. By the time Galaxy Rangers, etc hit the scene, I refused to watch He-Man anymore.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  4. #54
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    The problem, however, is that the Japanese toons were coming over to the USA, and being aired to children. Children in the US took to Japanese anime like white on rice. I was one of those kids.

    This clearly says that the mentality of children in the US was/is clearly being underestimated.
    Were those the english dubbed edited versions? Because Voltron, G-Force and even Pokemon have dialogue changed and scenes cut out because of violence, death or sexual content. My whole point is that the Japanese don't consider animation a children's only domain and include scenes of adult situations. When transferred over to the States there is much editing done to make it kid "safe".

    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Not saying that what you're saying isn't true, but how did you come to the conclusion that He-Man was aimed at this age target, vs TF's or GI JOE?
    Just my intuition and deductive reasoning from my Level 11 evil intellect. As you said before, you considered He-Man juvenile. Well, perhaps there was a reason for that. The action in He-Man was very subdued and very minimal. G.I. Joe and Transformers had an increase in violence and action as well as death (in the animated movies). That's what I primarily based my assumptions on.

    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    The problem with this, is when I was 8, I thought He-Man was way too silly for me, but I watched it, because there was very little else on. By the time Galaxy Rangers, etc hit the scene, I refused to watch He-Man anymore.
    Goes to show you I may be right in my calculations of the age range for He-Man...
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; July 16, 2010 at 04:22pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior SLO-MAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    1,986
    What I'm wondering is, what the Sorceress was feeding Teela with before MAA came by... you know, with the Sorceress being a bird and all.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

  6. #56
    All Era-Warrior Barnster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Snake Mountain, Apartment 4-D
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Galaxy Rangers, Ulysses 31 and Saber Rider are Japanese shows where the culture and attitude towards animation is wholly different than the U.S. Most U.S. viewers see cartoons as children's fare whereas Japanese viewers see it in equal terms as other adult genres.
    Marzo's question was about "cartoons from the 80's". And all mentioned above are 80's cartoons. The "children's fare" argument doesn't count because the target group has always been children. A 6 year old or an 8 year old kid is already able to separate between logical and illogical.

    Galaxy Rangers was an american tv show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adv...Galaxy_Rangers



    aswell as Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_a...eeled_Warriors

    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

  7. #57
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    Marzo's question was about "cartoons from the 80's". And all mentioned above are 80's cartoons.
    I'm sure he meant children's cartoons from the 80's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    The "children's fare" argument doesn't count because the target group has always been children. A 6 year old or an 8 year old kid is already able to separate between logical and illogical.
    I'm not sure what you meant here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    Galaxy Rangers was an american tv show:
    I stand corrected on this one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    as well as Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors:
    This I aready knew this much at least. Never watched it though.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; July 16, 2010 at 05:23pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Were those the english dubbed edited versions? Because Voltron, G-Force and even Pokemon have dialogue changed and scenes cut out because of violence, death or sexual content. My whole point is that the Japanese don't consider animation a children's only domain and include scenes of adult situations. When transferred over to the States there is much editing done to make it kid "safe".
    That's true. But even with the revisions, the writing for these stories are far more mature than most toons in the States, especially Filmation during that time.

    Just my intuition and deductive reasoning from my Level 11 evil intellect.
    Got it. Just don't let Lex Luthor hear you say that.

    As you said before, you considered He-Man juvenile. Well, perhaps there was a reason for that. The action in He-Man was very subdued and very minimal. G.I. Joe and Transformers had an increase in violence and action as well as death (in the animated movies). That's what I primarily based my assumptions on.
    Goes to show you I may be right in my calculations of the age range for He-Man...
    But you said that the He-Man range was about from 6 to 10. I was 8; that falls squarely in between that range.

    The problem that persists for me, is that children's mentalities at that age are being grossly underestimated.

    Case in point:

    Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    What I'm wondering is, what the Sorceress was feeding Teela with before MAA came by... you know, with the Sorceress being a bird and all.
    EXACTLY!!!

    How does anyone justify the sheer absurdity of this? Especially to say: "well, it's for little kids".

    Now granted, I personally have problems with parents telling their kids the Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy stories, but besides that fact, this just sends all kinds of the wrong message.

    At least when Bugs Bunny and etc spoke of the Stork, it was clearly in jest. However, this is being passed off as a serious story: a man adopts a human baby from a BIRD in a NEST.

    C'mon.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; July 16, 2010 at 05:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  9. #59
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    That's true. But even with the revisions, the writing for these stories are far more mature than most toons in the States, especially Filmation during that time.
    Can't argue against that. Japanese cartoons are for a more advanced target audience.

    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Got it. Just don't let Lex Luthor hear you say that.
    It's cool. He was my pupil a la Plato and Aristotle...

    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    But you said that the He-Man range was about from 6 to 10. I was 8; that falls squarely in between that range.
    Well, what I said was 6-10 year olds max. Truly, I would say the range was 6-8 but I didn't want to limit myself too much.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  10. #60
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Can't argue against that. Japanese cartoons are for a more advanced target audience.
    And yet they censor their porn & have vending machines full of used panties. I wouldn't put them on a pedestal because they allow violence & nudity in their cartoons. They also seem fond of cartoons featuring rape by tentacle & "potty humor".
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  11. #61
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    And yet they censor their porn & have vending machines full of used panties. I wouldn't put them on a pedestal because they allow violence & nudity in their cartoons. They also seem fond of cartoons featuring rape by tentacle & "potty humor".
    Hence my term "advanced" in regards to age only. I'm not putting them on pedestal merely stating the obvious (or what I thought was obvious, at least to me) that the content of their animation has more adult themes because animation in Japanese culture is not strictly seen as the domain of children only and their interests.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; July 16, 2010 at 06:41pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  12. #62
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Hence my term "advanced" in regards to age only. I'm not putting them on pedestal merely stating the obvious (or what I thought was obvious, at least to me) that the content of their animation has more adult themes because animation in Japanese culture is not strictly seen as the domain of children only and their interests.
    Sorry. I was just using your post as a catalyst for mine. I wasn't trying to imply you felt Japanese animation was the epitome of perfection when compared to that found in America.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  13. #63
    Heroic Warrior SAMURAI36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago (The Actual City)
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    & "potty humor".
    So do Americans; Family Guy?
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

  14. #64
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Not saying that what you're saying isn't true, but how did you come to the conclusion that He-Man was aimed at this age target
    Apart from the style of the cartoon, which in itself would make it obvious to a blind man with cataracts, the packaging on the toys is a little bit of a give-away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •