Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.41!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.41!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 41 questions!

This round of questions were selected by Bulkhide,
    and proofed against old Q&As by Uncle Montork.
    Thanks to them for their help!

-------------------

1. Tallstar: Does Mattel have anything to do with the the 25th Anniversary She-Ra DVD set that Classic Media have begun soliciting to retailers? They mention a mini-comic as one of the extras, and many of us were wondering if this was something new or possibly a reprint of one of the mini-comics that came with the vintage figures.

We are running a print ad in their DVD insert, but we did not work on the actual project.

2. DreamTripper: Is the character Songster from the He-Man and She-Ra Power Tour within Mattel's rights to make as a MOTUC figure?

Yes, we could (shrudder) do Songster. Would fans really want this? We admit he is not currently in the line up of figures we want to get to soon but if there really is enough demand we can look into him.

3. Scorpia: In a previous Q&A, you stated that Light Hope was a Filmation-designed character but that you may be able to create a different version of the character with the same name. Are you aware that Light Hope appears in his 'aura' form in the mini-comic 'Where Hope Has Gone'? And if this changes things, can you envision creating a character so far-removed from the human form?

Of course we know Light Hope was in the mini comic. That still does not change the fact that he is a Filmation created character. We can only access Filmation characters if they also appeared in the 2002 series or toy line.

4. Predabot: Why was She-Ra's skirt made of a much less pliable material than Evil-Lyn, thereby limiting her movements, when you said that all females moving onwards from Evil-Lyn would have such pliable plastic?

Many times a materials thickness is a safety regulation or a logistic issue. We do our best to meet fan requests but many times safety and logistics have to come first.

5. Sailoruranus: Back in 2009, you told us about the faceless one being on tap for may 2011. Now that its 2010, can you give us another sneak peek at a figure scheduled for 2012?

We put Faceless One out there in 2009 as an illustration that the line is thought out in advance. At this point fans have come to understand this long term plan concept and figure roll our strategy so there really isnt a need for us to reveal that far in the future anymore. Well have more to reveal at SDCC, but dont expect anything that far in the future!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 42!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 15.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 16.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 17.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 18.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 19.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 20.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 21.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 22.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 23.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 24.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 25.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 26.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 27.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 28.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 29.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 30.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 31.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 32.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 33.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 34.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 35.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 36.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 37.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 38.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 39.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 40.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 41 questions!

How on earth is Songster any worse than Mo-Lar?

I want Songster, simply because the idea of a magical bard on Eternia makes perfect sense.

He just needs a redesign, that's all. *tries to block out image of him from the Power Tour*

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Of course we know Light Hope was in the mini comic. That still does not change the fact that he is a Filmation created character. We can only access Filmation characters if they also appeared in the 2002 series or toy line.
    .... Now I'm even more confused. I thought that appearances in the mini-comics was one of the "loop-holes" that allows Mattel to make figures based on characters that they might otherwise not be be able to... but now it's not?

I can't keep track of this stuff anymore!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Songster would rock.
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    Songster would rock.
    OK, I have no idea who that is. Can someone post a pic?
    Who has the Power?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    How on earth is Songster any worse than Mo-Lar?
    I want Adam Eternum and Battle Tiger from World of Warcraft! Now THAT is a guest star that fans might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    .... Now I'm even more confused. I thought that appearances in the mini-comics was one of the "loop-holes" that allows Mattel to make figures based on characters that they might otherwise not be be able to... but now it's not?

Granamyr is cool, but Light Hope isn't?

Totally agree, Dynamo- I think Mattel either being purposely vague to cover up a past error or they're quite confused themselves!

Interesting that they'll be running a print ad in the new She-Ra DVDs- I'd bet that Adora will be re-released to coincide with this in either October or November.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

The Light Hope answer wreaks of typical Mattel "we want to be right even though we are wrong" bull-garbage.

I'm also feeling "logistics" fatigue. It's like when a little kid learns a fancy new word and uses it alllll the time.

Songster is not any worse than Mo-Larr, and their misspelled "shudder" comment was kind of immature. Sure, he's not popular, but the people that really want that figure aren't stupid or anything.

Ugh.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Songster is not any worse than Mo-Larr, and their misspelled "shudder" comment was kind of immature.
    Maybe they meant to type "Shredder" hinting at an upcoming Versus 2-pack: Shredder vs. Songster!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Indeed, Songster would totally rock! He should come with an eternian substitute for the "Pick of Destiny."

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    He should come with an eternian substitute for the "Pick of Destiny."
    I think that would be the Ram Stone ...

Pick of Destiny:

Ram Stone:

The only problem is that the Ram Stone might be too big to use as a guitar pick. But maybe they could make Songster a giant like Tytus, and then it will be in the right scale for him!

There is so demand for Songster. I want one!

BTW here is a link for the power tour where Songster shows up.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0760/
    Last edited by Swift Wind; July 16, 2010 at 01:30pm.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    LOL, this is quite the entertaining batch of Q&A's here.

1. GREAT NEWS that they actually did SOMETHING with Classic Media for the She-Ra dvds. Hopefully they can continue that relationship and get us a HINT of Filmation goodness in this amazing collector's era of MOTU.

2. Hilarious answer there, Toyguru. Honestly, I agree with Val here that a bard makes perfect sense in MOTU. I'd totally get a Songster and it would be a nice oddball character to throw in the mix. They've got prototypes, POGs, Vintage, 200x, POP, why not the ONE thing they could do from the Power Tour. They should especially make him if Bow doesn't come with his auto-harp instrument since that's sorta Filmation-based isnt it?

3. I don't know how I feel about this one. In a way I'm actually almost glad they can't do a Light Hope because...well, how exactly would they. But that's just my Filmation taste again.

4. Interesting. I wonder what's the logisitics or safety issue with She-Ra's skirt. After all this is an adult collector line.

5. lol, Toyguru shouldve just said "Nice try!" for that question.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

A resounding NO! On Songster. No no no!!!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

These were some pretty good answers as in they weren't just "No Comment" or "Not at this time" stuff. Interesting expression they gave on Songster there, lol. I would totally love a Songster myself, just do a bit of redesign on him and he'll work good as the Eternian Bard.

Light Hope's answer just confused me a bit, lol.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

I would like Songster further down-the-road, but I wouldn't want him to be redesigned. The curly mullet is part of the charm. heh

About the Classic Media mini-comic -- I'm guessing it's probably something new then? Unless they have access to the Secret of the Sword comic. I dunno.

The only problem is that the Ram Stone might be too big to use as a guitar pick. But maybe they could make Songster a giant like Tytus, and then it will be in the right scale for him!
    Or maybe the Pick Of Destiny could be a little piece that chipped of from the Ram-Stone? Songster could be useful in battle as well, if every time he played a shred-solo a tiny green mini-"Ram Goat" would launch out from his instrument.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by baena View Post
    a resounding no! On songster. No no no!!!
    qft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    3. I don't know how I feel about this one. In a way I'm actually almost glad they can't do a Light Hope because...well, how exactly would they. But that's just my Filmation taste again.
    Well, I agree in the sense that even if the copyright wasn't an issue, Light Hope would be a difficult figure to logistically make. I mean, his most well known form was a bodyless column of light.

And if Mattel had replied stating something to that effect as being the reason they can't or aren't planning on making Light Hope, I could understand it.

But now they are saying that it's an issue of Filmation copyrights. But, previously we were pretty much told that anyone who appeared in the mini-comics are fair game, including Granamyr (as MegaGearMax pointed out earlier). So, it just ads a huge new layer of confusion to the issue of what characters they can or can't make and why.

But now they are saying that it's an issue of Filmation copyrights. But, previously we were pretty much told that anyone who appeared in the mini-comics are fair game, including Granamyr (as MegaGearMax pointed out earlier). So, it just ads a huge new layer of confusion to the issue of what characters they can or can't make and why.
    Maybe Light Hope was a Filmation creation, but gave the rights to be used in that one comic, but the overall rights are still attached to Filmation. Granamyr might not be hindered like that. Or it could just be Mattel's way of saying "we're not making Light Hope" without saying just that.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

I would totally want a songster figure. If they have access to a certain aspect of the line then I want some sort of representation of it and a songster figure would be a great representation of the Power Tour.

The Light Hope answer is confusing, I can't help but think that someone in the chain of command is telling a fib. True, it would be funky if they tried to make an action figure of a ray of light but Light Hope is important and needs to be made. If they can make him as an updated figure in human form then that would be cool because he did say he would reveal his true form one day didn't he? I still do like the idea that showed up on the boards as him being the essence of He-Ro, that's an awesome idea.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I want Songster, simply because the idea of a magical bard on Eternia makes perfect sense.

He just needs a redesign, that's all. *tries to block out image of him from the Power Tour*
    Yes, yes, YES! This is the most exciting news in a long time! I'm SO happy they have the rights to Songster. He HAS to be made. He's the teller of the MOTU story for crying out loud! Also, then the Power Tour would be represented in this all-encompassed line.

...and he doesn't need a re-design.

He's 80's glammed up like David Bowie. He screams awesome 80's:

This looks great too...but he must have curly hair and show off his chest.

Yeah...this sounds like the opposite of what we've been told 1000 times over. So...I don't understand anymore. It sounds like Mattel plays by their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I would like Songster further down-the-road, but I wouldn't want him to be redesigned. The curly mullet is part of the charm. heh
    Yer darn tootin! He must have the curly mullet and chest hair!

About the Classic Media mini-comic -- I'm guessing it's probably something new then? Unless they have access to the Secret of the Sword comic. I dunno.
    Probably the SotS comic, sadly. I was hoping for the unreleased Star Sisters comic.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 16, 2010 at 04:56pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    A resounding NO! On Songster. No no no!!!
    I'm with ya, 666%!!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

wait, so now The Faceless One is up in the air again? Mattel's answers are starting to confuse me.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.