Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Filmation Fans: Do You Want Toys In MOTUC Or A Separate Line?

Filmation Fans: Do You Want Toys In MOTUC Or A Separate Line?

I know Filmation fans want to see Mattel hurry up and get the rights to the characters & likenesses from the 1980's MOTU & POP cartoons. Now that most of the canon for MOTUC has already been derived from MYP's toon, mini-comics, & unused info from Mattel, do you still want to see Filmation merged with MOTUC or do you want it to have its own line?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I know Filmation fans want to see Mattel hurry up and get the rights to the characters & likenesses from the 1980's MOTU & POP cartoons. Now that most of the canon for MOTUC has already been derived from MYP's toon, mini-comics, & unused info from Mattel, do you still want to see Filmation merged with MOTUC or do you want it to have its own line?
    This thread have no sense. MOTUC is all eras, including Filmation, if Mattel get the rights anytime...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I'd like to see Filmation characters as part of MOTUC, but I'm one of those people who would like the art changed-up on the packaging. Actually, I'm ready for a change right now.

It would be a pretty desolate line, wouldn't it?

There's no "Filmation He-Man", for example. Or "Filmation Skeletor".

It'd just be a bunch of third and fourth-string characters

I'd actually like to see Filmation MOTU as a separate toyline. Now that I think of it, I could see DCUC body-types working nicely with Filmation characters.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

why separate line?? I prefer they make filmation characters into motuc line and hope Mattel one day get the rights to make all them

I thought a separate line would make sense since some of the canon would be different:

* Teela isn't a clone or Fisto's daughter

* There is no Keldor

* Hordak has shapeshifting abilities and rules the planet Etheria instead of being stuck in a dimension.

I also feel practically every character would look different if done in a true Filmation style(either in color, design, or both). Since I feel a lot of fans would hate the idea of every character that appeared in Filmation coming in 2 styles(although since after 2 years we haven't seen one character re-released in a 2002 style, who knows if Mattel would even do that), I felt a separate line would make both fans happy. There's definitely enough fans of Filmation & Filmation exclusive characters to make the idea worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'd like to see Filmation characters as part of MOTUC, but I'm one of those people who would like the art changed-up on the packaging. Actually, I'm ready for a change right now.
    I'm with you on this one. While I don't hate it, I've never been in love with the current MOTUC packaging. It just doesn't look very exciting.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 20, 2010 at 07:27am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm all for keeping all the characters in the MOTUC line. I would probably die if I saw MOTUC Shadow Weaver or Scorpia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    It would be a pretty desolate line, wouldn't it?

There's no "Filmation He-Man", for example. Or "Filmation Skeletor".

It'd just be a bunch of third and fourth-string characters
    Based on colors alone, He-Man & Skeletor would look different in a Filmation toyline. There's also He-Man's hair & sword design. I'm not saying I'm dying for Filmation versions of these 2 to be made, but there are definitely enough differences to make them worthwhile.

I also wouldn't call, off the top of my head, Teela, Hordak, or Mer-Man third or fourth stringers. They all look different in Filmation.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I wouldn't want a separate line. I've already sunk a bunch of money into this line (and will continue to do so) and I'm really not prepared to start ANOTHER whole new MOTU toy line collection at this point.

Any issues regarding the discrepancies between the existing "MOTUC canon" and the "Filmation canon" are moot points as far as I am concerned. There have been many things I haven't cared for in the character bios thus far, but at the end of the day they are just words on the back of the packaging.... which (at least to me) is easily ignorable. Besides, the existing canon doesn't completely mesh up with all of the old canon's of the respective past lines. Some differences changes have been made to get the NA characters in the mix, for example.

I'd rather just see the currently off limits Filmation characters put into the line.

I'm really not that concerned about getting Filmation remakes of a bunch of the core MOTU characters (though a Filmation style power sword would be nice!). While there are some differences, for the most part He-Man and Skeletor on the Filmation cartoon are just simplified versions of their toy designs. The differences between He-Man and Skeletor in the Filmation cartoon and their figures are no where near as drastic as the differences between the cartoon versions of many of the POP characters and their original toy designs. While I wouldn't necessarily protest Filmation remakes of He-Man and Skeletor as a convention exclusive or something, it's not something that I am dying for by any means. And I wouldn't want every MOTU character that ever appeared in the cartoon to get remade as a "Filmation" figure.

Getting the characters in the line that we currently can't would be enough for me.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

While I understand the spirit in which this thread was intended, I have to respectfully disagree.

The Filmation canon does not exist in the current MOTU line, just as the mini-comic, NA, POP, and 200x canons don't exist. They've been merged. MOTUC is He-Man's Crisis on Infinite Earths. Any discrepancies would be explained away via a new storytelling mechanism.

Yes, Filmation Hordak can shapeshift...but it was never said explicitly that MOTUC Hordak cannot.

No, Keldor did not exist in Filmation...but they were setting up his existence in the classic toy line. And let's face it, Filmation wasn't too hot on origin stories anyway.

I fully support the addition of Filmation's cast of characters to the existing line...and I'm prepared to see them classicized, not looking exactly like their Filmation counterparts.

Based on colors alone, He-Man & Skeletor would look different in a Filmation toyline. There's also He-Man's hair & sword design. I'm not saying I'm dying for Filmation versions of these 2 to be made, but there are definitely enough differences to make them worthwhile.

I also wouldn't call, off the top of my head, Teela, Hordak, or Mer-Man third or fourth stringers. They all look different in Filmation.
    The Filmation designs of these characters are all simplified-for-animation versions of the toys. Doing a tiny repaint of He-Man with less colors and selling it as "Filmation He-Man" would probably not be profitable to Mattel.

Besides, MOTUC He-Man is the perfect Filmation He-Man realized as a toy.

There isn't enough characters that are Filmation-unique or totally different in Filmation (like Clawful) to start a separate toyline, and I stand by that.

I wouldn't want a seperate line, but at the same time... if they got Filmation rights this line wouldn't be complete until 2030. If they DID ever announce Filmation characters, that's the moment I hope they also announce 2 new monthly figures per month instead of just 1.

I would want the characters to be merged into MOTUC. That said, it would be cool if a second "cartoon" line was developed with characters having an exact likeness to the cartoon characters. Similar to the SuperFriends toyline.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    This thread have no sense. MOTUC is all eras, including Filmation, if Mattel get the rights anytime...
    Actually, it does...look at the style guide influenced POP characters and their lack of detail on the boots, belts and bracelets. She-Ra is very simplistic compared to the detail rich Teela.

Personally, I say add Filmation, but add some more detail onto those simplistic Filmation designs.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    The Filmation canon does not exist in the current MOTU line, just as the mini-comic, NA, POP, and 200x canons don't exist. They've been merged. MOTUC is He-Man's Crisis on Infinite Earths. Any discrepancies would be explained away via a new storytelling mechanism.
    You know... they should reboot MOTUC continuity to be like Crisis on Infinite Earths. Minicomics - Eternia prime, DC miniseries - Eternia II, Filmation - Eternia III, non-DC minicomics - Eternia IV and so on.

Bios would then make a lot more sense that the gibberish they're writing now.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I wouldn't want a separate line. I've already sunk a bunch of money into this line (and will continue to do so) and I'm really not prepared to start ANOTHER whole new MOTU toy line collection at this point.

Any issues regarding the discrepancies between the existing "MOTUC canon" and the "Filmation canon" are moot points as far as I am concerned. There have been many things I haven't cared for in the character bios thus far, but at the end of the day they are just words on the back of the packaging.... which (at least to me) is easily ignorable. Besides, the existing canon doesn't completely mesh up with all of the old canon's of the respective past lines. Some differences changes have been made to get the NA characters in the mix, for example.

I'd rather just see the currently off limits Filmation characters put into the line.

I'm really not that concerned about getting Filmation remakes of a bunch of the core MOTU characters (though a Filmation style power sword would be nice!). While there are some differences, for the most part He-Man and Skeletor on the Filmation cartoon are just simplified versions of their toy designs. The differences between He-Man and Skeletor in the Filmation cartoon and their figures are no where near as drastic as the differences between the cartoon versions of many of the POP characters and their original toy designs. While I wouldn't necessarily protest Filmation remakes of He-Man and Skeletor as a convention exclusive or something, it's not something that I am dying for by any means. And I wouldn't want every MOTU character that ever appeared in the cartoon to get remade as a "Filmation" figure.

Getting the characters in the line that we currently can't would be enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    ... I fully support the addition of Filmation's cast of characters to the existing line...and I'm prepared to see them classicized, not looking exactly like their Filmation counterparts.
    I fully agree with these points.

I have no interest in a JLU style 'animated' line for MOTU. My priority is to see all MOTU and related characters, including the unique FILMation characters, realised into plastic as part of this all-encompassing MOTUC line. Likewise, if Mattel eventually do succeed to launch a new movie, I'd much rather movie figures consistent with MOTUC than some new style and design.

By the Goddess I hope there is a big announcement about FILMation rights at SDCC.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Nope. Just include the characters into MOTUC.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

I thought a separate line would make sense since some of the canon would be different:

* Teela isn't a clone or Fisto's daughter

* There is no Keldor

* Hordak has shapeshifting abilities and rules the planet Etheria instead of being stuck in a dimension.
    Saying that Filmation should get some preferential treatment because of its differences, is like saying 200X should get the same special treatment.

Teela isn't a clone in 200X either, but that doesn't stop 200X from being in the line.

Besides, all of these new continuity ideas are merely the merging of all elements. There's no reason not to merge Filmation into the pot.

Not to mention, Prince Adam and Orko, are almost entirely their Filmation look and style.

I also feel practically every character would look different if done in a true Filmation style(either in color, design, or both). Since I feel a lot of fans would hate the idea of every character that appeared in Filmation coming in 2 styles(although since after 2 years we haven't seen one character re-released in a 2002 style, who knows if Mattel would even do that), I felt a separate line would make both fans happy. There's definitely enough fans of Filmation & Filmation exclusive characters to make the idea worth thinking about.
    Uhmm, no it wouldn't. It would only make some Filmation fans happy. I personally would like a uniformed look. Most of the characters thus far, have some 200X-ish elements on the Classic look. That's what I want.

(although since after 2 years we haven't seen one character re-released in a 2002 style, who knows if Mattel would even do that)
    Not true: there's talk again of 200X He-Man being released, as well as the possibility of the teenage 200X Prince Adam. Besides, there's really not much of a need to do that with the current figs, since most of them already have plenty of 200X elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    You know... they should reboot MOTUC continuity to be like Crisis on Infinite Earths. Minicomics - Eternia prime, DC miniseries - Eternia II, Filmation - Eternia III, non-DC minicomics - Eternia IV and so on.

Bios would then make a lot more sense that the gibberish they're writing now.
    Uhmm, actually, COIE was a merging of all the multiverse into one universe, not the opposite as you are proposing. Thus, MOTUC is already like COIE. Perhaps you're implying that they should be like Pre-COIE?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Actually, it does...look at the style guide influenced POP characters and their lack of detail on the boots, belts and bracelets. She-Ra is very simplistic compared to the detail rich Teela.

Personally, I say add Filmation, but add some more detail onto those simplistic Filmation designs.
    How different does the MOTUC Teela look from Filmation Teela? To my eye, they pretty much look the same.

Thus, Style-guide (Filmation) She-Ra comes from the same source as Filmation Teela, both of which were designs from the toon.

Teela simply has more detail, because She-Ra and the POP girls had less of those details. Thus, that was a Mattel issue, not a Filmation one.

But at least the attempt was made to have She-Ra have a more uniformed look with the rest of the women in 200X.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

Precisely what he said. They've merged the continuities, like DC did with the Crises.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    Precisely. This is just another "break the different factions up into their own lines" thread. It's not gonna happen, for any reason.

Filmation isn't more special than any of the other lines. Thus, if you separate one line, you'd have to separate them all. I'm pretty sure that there are some people who want that as well, but that's not gonna happen either.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; July 20, 2010 at 11:15am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    How different does the MOTUC Teela look from Filmation Teela? To my eye, they pretty much look the same.
    The Filmation models are simplistic versions of the real action figures (i.e., no boot straps, no circles on the belts or bracelets. Teela's outfit is far less detailed than her action figure. It's like that with all of the characters. We see this on the POP MOTUC figures, where they have a lack of detail compared to the clothing on MOTUC Teela.

I guess my attitude toward this is to include the Filmation characters, but add more detail onto them to make them consistent with the other existing characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Mr. Shokoti, I want to thank you for creating this thread !

I wondered for a while if Mattel wouldn't hold Filmation figures hostage just so they could start another cool MOTU line once MOTUC is over (I surely hope not, and personally, I'd like MOTUC to be the ultimate, complete MOTU collection !).

I feel it's still just a week too early to be able to give you a better, more informed point of view about this problem. I still hope there might be a big announcement from Mattel at SDCC regarding Filmation characters (yes, I know, this might sound like utopia, but hey, we can always hope and dream, right ? )... I will probably come back next week to post my feelings about the whole Filmation thingie and SDCC.
    Last edited by Spectror; July 21, 2010 at 07:59am.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Filmation models are simplistic versions of the real action figures (i.e., no boot straps, no circles on the belts or bracelets. Teela's outfit is far less detailed than her action figure. It's like that with all of the characters. We see this on the POP MOTUC figures, where they have a lack of detail compared to the clothing on MOTUC Teela.
    I've looked at Teela's vintage toy from all angles, and I've seen numerous clips of Teela on Filmation, and I'm just not seeing any difference.

I guess my attitude toward this is to include the Filmation characters, but add more detail onto them to make them consistent with the other existing characters.
    Yeah, this is what I want as well. The thing I kinda didn't like about MOTUC She-Ra, is she didn't have the bands on her arms between the elbows and shoulders, the way the 200X version did. Plus her boots are just way too plain for me.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

I'd like it to be its own line since that look is SO distinct, but I would also want Filmation accurate alternate heads in Classics for figures that really warrant it like He-Man, Skeletor and Mer-Man, but not so much for Randor or Beast Man or Teela.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Filmation-only characters I would want in this line and variants of figures.

I wouldn't want to re-purchase everyone and their mother (literally) because it's a new version when many of the toys look very similar.

I want all Filmation and all toy PoP though.

One toy line would be fine for me. I wouldn't be angry if they made a side Filmation line...my wallet would be though.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I want Filmation based characters to be included in the MOTUC line like every other era is.

If they re-released a Filmation figure that already was released in MOTUC, they could just tweek the bio on the back to suit that particular origin better.

Take blue Hordak for example and just throw some Filmation goodness into his already MOTUC bio. Not that hard to do, Mattel!

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Filmation isn't more special than any of the other lines.
    Actually, it kinda is as I've already tried to explain in the vintage forum.
    Last edited by Count Marzo; July 20, 2010 at 02:08pm.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!