Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The MOTUC Bios WERE Done.. not any more

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The MOTUC Bios WERE Done.. not any more

As of Lord Masque, the bios are done.

I think it's the 8th and 9th Mini-Comic Thread where TG mentioned that he was speaking with Mark (the brand manager at the time) at SDCC 2015 and Mark told him that there wouldn't be anymore bios going forward.

Is the Neitlichverse canon being officially over a good or bad thing to you? Did you like the bios or hate them--what was it that you liked or disliked? Want to speculate why the bios ended and the new team (or teams) didn't want to continue with them?

Discuss!

UPDATE: New bios are coming.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I'm OK with the bios being done. What I'm not OK with is that there is no vintage/media artwork of the characters on the cardbacks any more.
    I've opened all my figures but kept ll the cardbacks for the pictures.
    Now you can't even tell whose card back this is supposed to be just from looking at the back.

I didn't like the MOTUC canon at all. However, it provided some good ideas for new characters (like all the different He-Men etc.).

What I don't understand is why they don't just write a little character profile (name, faction, powers etc) and add a little picture. That's not too much work, is it?
    Awesome sticker included!

I liked the MOTUC canon for the most part, so I'm disappointed that there won't be any more bios as I display them with my loose figures standing inside their respective name labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    I liked the MOTUC canon for the most part, so I'm disappointed that there won't be any more bios as I display them with my loose figures standing inside their respective name labels.
    I am a loose collector, and many times never even read the Bios. (And they are on-line if I want to read them)

But for those that do, this does stink.

No bios stinks. I really liked them and cut out all of them from the boxes. This is a cheap move not to include them... pretty lame!!!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

The one thing I liked about the bios was that any character I didn't remember or had never heard of had some sort of explanation...
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Honestly, I don't think I am going to miss them ! The blisters & card backs were always been meal'ed to my trash cans. I never taken MOTUC canon into my head seriously, since there were so many things in this Scottiverse were not my thing (Half power swords, Sorceress dies, He-Man getting old ETC), So yeah... I am not going to bang my head for missing the infamous bios. That said, I do agree with Grayskull's Heir. The arts (OR) screen grabs of the particular character will be missed.
    Matty Has Been Matted For 2017 !

Now I Seriously Hope Super 7 Makes Me Feel I Am In Heaven !!

That's too bad. Some of the bios were much better than others, but overall, I enjoyed them and the small pieces of art they included.

I also don't think it's fair or accurate to call the bios the "Neitlichverse". Not only is it normally used in a negative way, but the vast majority of it comes from vintage material, plans for season 3 of MYP and other sources that existed long before Scott had anything to do with MOTU.

One thing is for sure, those new cardbacks are a lot less interesting.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Good idea breaking this out into its own thread.

I liked the bios, they were a fun bonus to give me some background on many characters I'd never heard of. I never took them too seriously (and it seemed like the bios never took themselves too seriously, taking cues from Filmation and the original card backs, which I think rubbed some people expecting a more serious take the wrong way), but it was a nice bonus, and overall, I liked the mix of different ideas from all the different iterations of He-Man. Like them or not, they got people talking about the MOTUverse and the new characters.

I'm mostly an opener/loose collector, I did collect card backs/bios of characters, but haven't done much with them, so in a way it's nice to know I can just toss out all the packaging materials without any worries.

I suspect they're discontinuing them because, as they've said before, they want a clean break from the previous administration (and the sometimes irrationality negative things people have to say about anything associated with it). Like them or not, they are associated strongly with the former brand manager. On top of that, just from an administrative point of view, it's a lot of work writing everything, maintaining a continuity, editing, etc. ToyGuru was doing a lot of extra work that has no clear person for it to fall to.
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; January 9, 2016 at 03:47pm.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    I am happy they are gone. I prefer Masters of the Universe as a more imaginative blank slate anyway. Any canon, even if masterfully written, would be hard to weave and accept fully after all the conflicting stories in the brand. I think the best Masters of the Universe story is your own.

With that said, I did like the scroll with the character art shot.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I also don't think it's fair or accurate to call the bios the "Neitlichverse". Not only is it normally used in a negative way, but the vast majority of it comes from vintage material, plans for season 3 of MYP and other sources that existed long before Scott had anything to do with MOTU.
    Sword clonings and infusings
    Trollan Overlords as an analogue for the Guardians of Oa
    Several characters getting killed off
    Castle Grayskull being only a building and being built by Tytus
    Multiple He-Men through the ages
    Orko being extremely powerful and his goofiness is an act
    Real Star Wars-like names
    Some characters coming from the Tri-Solar System

Toyguru was the brand manager and while alot of the bio material did come from various pre-existing sources, he also put his own take on those characters or events, even merging groups of unrelated characters into groups. If we had to give the MOTUC bios a name, I'd call it "The Neitlichverse".

I'm not saying that the Neitlichverse is a bad thing; TG wrote up a merged new canon for MOTU, why downplay it?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...I enjoyed the bios and the MOTUC continuity totally! In the end it is just one more "canon" after all! I also keep an ongoing binder "MOTUC BIBLE" with all of the bios! That being said, I will keep making my own lol! Anybody have a blank template for them, pretty-please?
    ..."Conceived in a Hell Beyond Your Depth of Perception... Designed and Directed by His Red Right Hand."
    ...Seriously looking for a gray Sir Laser-Lot sword from the Final Wars weapon-pack!!

Good. They were awful for the most part.

I think the only truly good thing they did was bring the NA stuff into the present and get it out of the future which was always stupidly limiting for story potential. Na would have been much more accepted by the fans if it had done that in the cartoon series.

Giving me a character bio is one thing, but half of the bios weren't even a "bio". They were attempts at telling a narrative through cardbacks which is the wrong format to do that in my opinion.

I personally won't miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Toyguru was the brand manager and while alot of the bio material did come from various pre-existing sources, he also put his own take on those characters or events, even merging groups of unrelated characters into groups. If we had to give the MOTUC bios a name, I'd call it "The Neitlichverse".
    Obviously he added a lot to the existing material. If we had to give the MOTUC bios a name, I'd call it "MOTUC Canon".

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm not saying that the Neitlichverse is a bad thing; TG wrote up a merged new canon for MOTU, why downplay it?
    Because it's normally used as a way to put down Toyguru and the MOTUC canon. You may not use it that way, but that's how it's commonly used. I mean, why don't we have terms like "Sheimerverse" or "Stefanverse"?
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Whaaaaat???? Oh no, no, no!! That's unacceptable. Ok, sure, maybe not all the bios were that great and maybe there were elements to the bios that not everyone liked. But still, it was nice having the artwork on the back of the card as well as a little background on the character. This really sucks.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    That being said, I will keep making my own lol! Anybody have a blank template for them, pretty-please?
    Here is one I worked up a while ago, for some, uh, "creative editing" of certain existing Bios. Heh.

Be sure to use it ONLY for Good, and NOT for Evil. [^D

Blank Bio Scroll.jpg

I'm disappointed. I didn't need the bios to be that great. The best part of the MotUC canon was that it set a precedent. It set a precedent that all of the main eras could technically exist within one timeline, with minimal tweaks. I thought that was awesome. I'd love to see that used as the foundation for a new tv show at some point (the concept, not the MotUC version explicitly).
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; January 9, 2016 at 05:47pm.

I won't pretend that I liked the direction of the original narrative, but it is a shame that there won't be any at all going forward.

I feel like this is kind of the direction the line has gone since Scott left. We weren;t completely happy with some things, so instead of improve them, Matty just took them away.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

I enjoyed them a lot actually. There were some stinkbomb plot points here and there, but for the most part they really helped flesh out the universe and give people some kind of reference point to go off of.

I don't really mind that they are gone though, because we already know many of the Collector's Choice characters' storylines from other media. I'd like to keep my memories of Lord Masque from the Filmation cartoon intact rather than have to view him in a way I wasn't expecting (Like he is Shadow Weaver's Brother or something, or he marries Perfuma).

I'd like to see them return.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I won't pretend that I liked the direction of the original narrative, but it is a shame that there won't be any at all going forward.

I feel like this is kind of the direction the line has gone since Scott left. We weren;t completely happy with some things, so instead of improve them, Matty just took them away.
    Scott went above and beyond because he truly enjoyed working on the line. That was quite evident. I doubt that same passion on the marketing side exists now. The new direction (perhaps, less is more) can be a bonus or a negative depending on one's preference. In terms of the bios, I don't miss them, but I at least saw the work involved in them and can appreciate the effort Scott had in putting them together.

We also don't know the dynamics at Mattel nowadays. Things might have changed where management doesn't want time utilized for things like the bios.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Scott went above and beyond because he truly enjoyed working on the line. That was quite evident. I doubt that same passion on the marketing side exists now. The new direction (perhaps, less is more) can be a bonus or a negative depending on one's preference. In terms of the bios, I don't miss them, but I at least saw the work involved in them and can appreciate the effort Scott had in putting them together.

We also don't know the dynamics at Mattel nowadays. Things might have changed where management doesn't want time utilized for things like the bios.
    Please don΄t get me wrong, Scott Neitlich is a passionate MOTU fan but he wasn΄t the best writer and in the end he did a job.

There are plenty passionate writers out there who are MOTU/POP/NA fans as well and if you pay people, which companies usually do, everyone could benefit from that procedure.

I would like to see the return of the bios but this time i would hope for someone who has ideas and the skill to make them work.

Ideas alone aren΄t good enough, you need to have writing talents. Everyone can write but not everyone can create good stories.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Here is the Bio I'm going to use for Lord Masque

Lord Masque

AKA: Kelson Van, Masque, Racca
    Known For: House of Shokoti, Part 1
    Powers: Magic, teleportation, shapeshifting
    Associates: Shokoti, Trap Jaw, Count Marzo

Masque is a mysterious being apparently in the service of Shokoti. When the House of Darkness began to intermittently emerge from the Sands of Time, Masque worked to keep others from investigating the ancient tomb. When Melaktha led an archaeological team to find the House of Darkness, Masque created a diversion by attacking a fortress in the desert with Trap Jaw and disguised himself as a local guide named "Racca" so he could lure them into an ambush by the Reptile Men.

Masque succeeded in raising the House of Darkness, but was defeated soon after when Orko managed to pull the "demon mask" from his face, allowing He-Man to cut it in half with the Power Sword. With the mask destroyed, Masque was reduced to billowing smoke and a pile of clothes. Melaktha observed that Masque seemed to be more of an "evil shadow" than a real person
    Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'm sad to see them go. I did enjoy them for the most part and I feel they were a big part of the whole "MOTUC package".
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Some were REALLY bad (in my opinion), some were fantastic, most were okay. Not having anything on the back saying who a character is with a picture...that really sucks. I understand it's a little more work...but come on. It's like...15 characters a year.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah