Thread: Attn ITALY!! Heading your way for a visit...tips?

Attn ITALY!! Heading your way for a visit...tips?

Hello Italian MOTU fans...
    My wife and I are heading to Italy in early november, and were wondering what all we should do.
    Any tips appreciated...Really looking for some cool mom and pop toy shops (wink wink)
    Seriously though...we want to know any cool places we should see/visit/things to do.
    We'll be in the Rome area

Please help! thanks!!
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Watch out for pickpocketers. Italy is the only place I've ever been in the world that someone has tried to pull something out of my front pocket while I wasn't looking... and it was an old man! (This was specifically in Rome, on a bus, on the way from the Vatican.) Otherwise, the food there is fantastic!
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

The gypsies are outta Rome now. I guess the governor, or whoever is in charge decided to cart 'em out. I didn't see any when I was there, but I guess the could be under cover.

I would head to Sienna. It was awesome there. I loved it. We took a bus tour and it was only a few hours away.
    There is a great deal to do in Rome.
    What do you want to see? Take your time and stroll, otherwise you'll miss a lot of things.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

yes, pick pockets are a big problem in Italy, my family is from a small town called Brindisi, if you want to get a true feeling of what the real Italy is I recommend the small provinces, you will see lots of mom and pop shops for toys, food, what have you, and in my opinion if you don't care about museums or historical monuments those towns will give you a lot more for your money...

Places like Rome, Milan, Venice etc. are exclusively aimed towards tourists (naturally) and highly overpriced, you can get very cheap lodging accommodations and food for a week with a very modest budget when you steer clear from the big cities, the downside is of course the language barrier if you don't know any Italian.. still can get by, my girlfriend doesn't speak any Italian, that didn't stop her from buying lots of shoes and purses while we were there last summer
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

I loved Sienna and I would go back there. To me thats Italy. The historian in me was all excited too becaue I thought about the plague and how it would run rapidly through the city. but I'm weird like that.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior
    My wife and I are heading to Italy in early november,
    Do you know 29/30/31 October and 1 november, there's Lucca Comics, the greatest Italian Comic Convention?

And Lucca is nearest Siena, not so far from Rome

Master of New Adventures!
    You're going to one of my favorite countries in the world and you're in for a treat.

Go to the Roman Forum -- Foro Romano -- which was the Ancient Roman marketplace. Be SURE to rent the headsets in English at the entrance for the walking tour. It will take you to all the points of interest and dramatically explain those sites as if you were in ancient Roman times. Afterwards, walk the block to the Coliseum. It's incredible. You MUST take a cab to the San Callisto Catacombs. You'll descend a hundred feet underground on a tour guided by monks -- be sure to get the English-speaking tour -- to the secret places where first century Christians worshipped. The spiritual feeling is palpable. Of course the Vatican and St. Peter's are not to be missed, along with the Sistine Chappel. While in St. Peters, be sure to take the flight of steps below to see the burial place of the popes and the remains of St. Peter.

For lunch you can't go wrong ANYWHERE in Rome. The smallest mom and pop restaurant is better than the best five star Italian restaurant in L.A. or New York. For dinner do L'Originale Alfredo and, of course, have the Fettucine Alfredo at the place it was invented. Yes, it's admittedly a tourist stop, but it's a WONDERFUL and elegant tourist stop. not unlike the Jules Verne restauranrt in the Eiffel Tower. The fellow with the Salivdore Dali moustache is Alfredo's grandson and is a character. He's always happy to chat with romantic couples. Make allowances for the fact that he's usually had one or two glasses too many of wine. Ask the maitre d' to bring the solid gold fork and spoon that Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford dined with so long ago. Tip him a five when you leave. If you REALLY want to splurge, dine at Tre Scalini in Piaza Navona -- one of the greatest dining experiences in the world. Ask to dine outside on the terrace. Have the manicotti -- it's the best on Earth. Listen to strolling musicians and after dinner walk across the square to the ice cream shop. I suggest the hazelnut ice cream. It's to die for. DO NOT MISS TREVI FOUNTAIN. Soooooooo romantic. Toss three coins in over your shoulder take insure you will some day return.

If you have an extra day ask your hotel's concierge to arrange a day trip to Hadrian's Villa. (The air-conditioned bus is fine and actually quite plush. It's only an hour or so.) Google it. You can also take a train to Pompeii, but check first to make sure there's not a labor strike.

The best part of Italy is the people. Pickpockets aside -- and nowadays they're much less a problem as the police have come down hard on them -- Romans are an amazing people who truly love Americans.

Enjoy. Imo, it's tied with Paris for the most romantic place around.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 13, 2010 at 02:50am.

Do the TREVI FOUNTAIN at night That was way cool. Everyone was hanging arond, taking pictures, eating gelato
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.