Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when will Matty admit they already OWN the Filmation rights

when will Matty admit they already OWN the Filmation rights

hi folks! this is not about conspiracy - but at sdcc we were shown more Filmation characters/designs: SHADOW BEASTS and PALACE GUARDS. Both have the Filmation design - the 200X design was totally different!

to sum it up, we have the following Filmation characters:

- Adora
    - Orko
    - Palace Guards
    - Shadow Beasts
    - Battle Cat (?)
    - Mer Man (Blue Repaint)
    - Bow (?)

And they already said they can do the following Filmation designs:

- Green Queen Marlena
    - Blue Hordak

All the pro/contra style guide "excuses" don't convince anybody. there are so many contradictions.

i think when the sales go down, Matty will admit it to get new attention!
    Attached Images Attached Images

fantastic! i hope the blue hordak becomes a reality next year, i had to make my custom one, but let's say that it's jsut not the same

I dont know about them owing the rights as of yet. I think they are telling the truth. But I think they may be close to a deal.

Why do I say this.

Well maybe the company that owns the rights now can see that the MOTUC brand is a huge no brainer money maker and they would want a piece of the pie.

but thats my conspiricy.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I don't understand why they would need to OWN the rights. Can't they just do a deal concerning this line that would allow them to use the characters?

Sigh. I do wish for Mattel to get the Filmation right for Filmation fans. There are some characters I think would be cool in plastic form too. However, I am personally getting tired of seeing the same tired "evidence" layout as to how Mattel already owns the Filmation library and is hiding it from us. There are good theory out there- but I find the following tiresome because they have been debunked soo many times already.

- Adora- Mattel created her first, Filmation used Mattel Design in the show

- Orko- made as a toy in the 80's with permission then- thus they can use that design in modern day

- Palace Guards- Generic MAA design- it is not really copyrightable by Filmation. Yes there are nods to the Filmation one- but there are MYP elements in there as well.

- Shadow Beasts- Appeared in MYP episode of "Night of the Shadow Beast". 4H has slipped in a homage head cause they were heavily shadow in that episode- nothing more.

- Battle Cat (?)- looks like the 80"s toy- don't know what you are getting at here?

- Mer Man (Blue Repaint)- As fan pointed out- it is a comic repaint

- Bow (?)- same as Adora- Mattel style guide design that was adapted by Filmation later

- Green Queen Marlena- Toyguru has stated Mattel design her, Filmation used her. They have right to make Marela how ever the see fit- even coloring her dress green.

- Blue Hordak- They own the character- it would just be a paint refresh- like in the DC 2 pack (think a pair up with Darksied would be appropriate)

Slide Show image:
    The never said they had the rights to anyone on that slide. That was a 4H wish list- no more. Thankfully they have managed to do allot of those- but that is not "proof" of owning the entire Filmation library.

EDIT: Personally- I think the best reason I can think of for Mattel is close to getting the Filmation rights is them dragging their feet on releasing the POP girls. The pretty much own the right to do the iconic looks of Adora, She-ra, and Bow, but after that the rest of the girls designs get a bit murky. They may keep getting tossed on the back burning in hopes of seal a deal to do the girls right the first time around.
    Last edited by Steph; July 25, 2010 at 09:39am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Royal Guards can't look fully 200X because of the hyper anime detail rule.
    The Shadow Beasts for the most part look like the filmation versions except for darker fur.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by danvin View Post
    hi folks! this is not about conspiracy - but at sdcc we were shown more Filmation characters/designs: SHADOW BEASTS and PALACE GUARDS. Both have the Filmation design - the 200X design was totally different!

to sum it up, we have the following Filmation characters:

- Adora
    - Orko
    - Palace Guards
    - Shadow Beasts
    - Battle Cat (?)
    - Mer Man (Blue Repaint)
    - Bow (?)

And they already said they can do the following Filmation designs:

- Green Queen Marlena
    - Blue Hordak

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/r...nouncement.jpg

All the pro/contra style guide "excuses" don't convince anybody. there are so many contradictions.

i think when the sales go down, Matty will admit it to get new attention!
    POP Filmation designs are in their license guides so they can make them.
    Others appeared on 200x cartoon so they can somehow make Filmation variants of them.
    Blue Mer-man doesn't count. It's a repaint based on DC mini series.

**Please remove image tags when replying with a quote. Thanks!**

Heroic Warrior
    To be bluntly honest, I'll say this : personally, I don't care if Mattel owns the Filmation rights or not.

As long as they release the likes of Shadow Weaver, Octavia, Scorpia, Dragoon, Fang Man, Lord Masque, Imp, Icer, Vultak etc. , I'll be happy. What matters are not the rights or their owner(s), but the fact that we get our beloved characters under plastic form in the MOTUC line !

So Mattel can keep saying "We don't own the Filmations rights ! Nothing is planned !" etc. , as long as they keep dishing out Filmation characters (Adora, She-Ra, Queen Marlena, blue Hordak, Shadow Beast, Bow and so on), I'll be perfectly fine !
    Last edited by Spectror; July 25, 2010 at 10:01am.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    uld be appropriate)

Slide Show image:
    The never said they had the rights to anyone on that slide. That was a 4H wish list- no more. Thankfully they have managed to do allot of those- but that is not "proof" of owning the entire Filmation library.
    no, that's the official matty slide from NYCC 2008 of "what's POSSIBLE". the 4H wishlist was the following (with even more Filmation characters)

...maybe i shouldn´t say that...

BUT:

No matter what they( who ever they is...?) people seem to be angry with them...

If it´s to vintage, like King HSSS for example, they decided wrong, is it to 200X, like Chief Carnivus, they made him to cartoony, if they stick to Style Guide, like She-Ra, it´s not detailed enough.

...i´m simply happy that MOTUC exist and we all get a change to own all the characters one day!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    To be bluntly honest, I'll say this : personally, I don't care if Mattel owns the Filmation rights or not.

As long as they release the likes of Shadow Weaver, Octavia, Scorpia, Dragoon, Fang Man, Lord Masque, Imp, Icer, Vultak etc. , I'll be happy. What matters are not the rights or their owner(s), but the fact that we get our beloved characters under plastic form in the MOTUC line !

So Mattel can keep saying "We don't own the Filmations rights ! Nothing is planned !" etc. , as long as they keep dishing out Filmation characters (Adora, She-Ra, Queen Marlena, blue Hordak, Shadow Beast, Bow and so on), I'll be perfectly fine !
    Mattel doesn't own the rights to the characters you listed above. Those were Filmation created characters. As they said time and time again. If they were made into a toy in the original line, we in the original mini comics, were created by Mattel, in the style guide, in the 200X toy line or show. (With in limits! No Shadow Wraiths!) They can be made. Anyone who was created by Filmation for the series like Shadow Weaver, Sea Hawk, Madame Razz, Lizard Man, can not be made cause they do not have the rights to produce them or even a figure who resembles them cause of likeness issues. Yes it's annoying and upsetting, but you have to deal with it until Mattel is able to do something about it.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Not to be starting trouble, but what would Mattel have to gain by concealing the fact they had the Filmation rights? I'm not really sure what would be the point in that. Without a clear benefit to hiding ownership of Filmation rights, I would have to say this is just wishful thinking/conspiracy theory.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

I'm not sure whether Mattel do have the FILMation rights at this point of time. However, if they do then I'm sure they're keeping it a secret waiting until some future time when the line needs a new boost of excitement.

Sadly for those of us who desperately want to see the FILMation characters incorporated into MOTUC - but happily for those of us who want this line to be strong - I suspect any news on FILMation may be delayed for some time due to constant lightning quick sell outs. At this stage Mattel have no need or benefit from revealing FILMation rights acquisition.

As long as they release the likes of Shadow Weaver, Octavia, Scorpia, Dragoon, Fang Man, Lord Masque, Imp, Icer, Vultak etc. ...
    Poor Kothos always seems to be missed out of these lists
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Yes i bet my eggs that Mattel already have the Filmation rights.
    I believe that 100%.

Nobody can tell me that Mattel wouldnt own that rights

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    Not to be starting trouble, but what would Mattel have to gain by concealing the fact they had the Filmation rights? I'm not really sure what would be the point in that. Without a clear benefit to hiding ownership of Filmation rights, I would have to say this is just wishful thinking/conspiracy theory.
    As others have mentioned in another thread, Mattel could have ALREADY acquired the Filmation rights and might be probably saving any Filmation reveal for when MOTUC's sales inevitably start to slip. They can't hold Marlena, Sorceress, Man-E-Face and Ram Man hostage forever!

Heroic Warrior
    Poor Kothos always seems to be missed out of these lists
    Show me a pic of Kothos, and he might gain a new fan !

Anyone who was created by Filmation for the series like Shadow Weaver, Sea Hawk, Madame Razz, Lizard Man, can not be made cause they do not have the rights to produce them or even a figure who resembles them
    Yeah, yeah, I know... same old blah blah blah... but WHY in the name of the Lord did we get a Shadow Beast with the FILMATION HEAD then, huh ?

Like I said, it doesn't matter who owns or doesn't own the rights, as long as we get the cool characters in MOTUC.

I don't care what lies will come from Toyguru, Mattel, or anyone : "conspiracy theory" or not, my eyes have actually SEEN that many characters look like their Filmation incarnation. I just hope they keep doing that, and that they will eventually produce Shadow Weaver and the other Filmation guys sooner or later.

Yeah, yeah, I know... same old blah blah blah... but WHY in the name of the Lord did we get a Shadow Beast with the FILMATION HEAD then, huh ?
    That's not Filmation! They just took away the hyper anime detail away from the Shadow Beast!

Heroic Warrior
    That's not Filmation! They just took away the hyper anime detail away from the Shadow Beast!
    ... and replaced it with a more filmation-esque look !

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    ...maybe i shouldn´t say that...

BUT:

No matter what they( who ever they is...?) people seem to be angry with them...

If it´s to vintage, like King HSSS for example, they decided wrong, is it to 200X, like Chief Carnivus, they made him to cartoony, if they stick to Style Guide, like She-Ra, it´s not detailed enough.
    yeah but in the end of the day figures sell out under 15 minutes, that should tell how everyone is or is not satisfied with the figures
    Last edited by Arkangel; July 25, 2010 at 10:49am.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Mattel doesn't own the rights to the characters you listed above. Those were Filmation created characters. As they said time and time again. If they were made into a toy in the original line, we in the original mini comics, were created by Mattel, in the style guide, in the 200X toy line or show. (With in limits! No Shadow Wraiths!) They can be made. Anyone who was created by Filmation for the series like Shadow Weaver, Sea Hawk, Madame Razz, Lizard Man, can not be made cause they do not have the rights to produce them or even a figure who resembles them cause of likeness issues. Yes it's annoying and upsetting, but you have to deal with it until Mattel is able to do something about it.
    they CAN make shadow wraiths, they said they don't want to use any loopholes to give us filmation only characters so they won't touch some grey area things, basically people wanted them to make a female shadow wraith and just name her that.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by danvin View Post
    no, that's the official matty slide from NYCC 2008 of "what's POSSIBLE". the 4H wishlist was the following (with even more Filmation characters)
    Corrected, but my point still stands: look at is who is on that slide and compare them to what we know:

Adora, Hordak, and Marlena are already explained- Mattel owns the rights to these looks- Filmation followed suit and used them in the show.

Hero- an existing concept made by Mattel

King Grayskull- From MYP- homage to the 4H barbarian He-man design from 200x

Wun-dar- Mythical/non-mythical He-man variant brought to life in the Classics

Green Goddess- fan art (sorry don't know who's) of the mini comic version of the Sorceress, popularized by decided fans on these boards (I'm looking at you Baena ).

He-man and Skeletor- big deal- they used the Filmation art to show them. That is not really proof of owning the Filmation library. If you are going to follow the logic of they used Filmation art, so they must own the rights, they you have to question did Mattel also pay for the rights to use Emilio (sp?) Shadow Weaver or Baena's Green Goddess on the other slide? Why didn't they use Filmation Shadow Weaver on that slide? Mattel used their art, that must mean they have work out a deal to use those likeness with those artists? Or is it just more simply who ever put together the slide show just picked good art to represent possibility and wish lists?

The Filmation cartoon is one of the most icon representation of the MOTU characters- it is not surprising they used those images.

The contradictions as to what characters and looks Mattel can use are downright confusing. FILMation looks are meant to be off limits for MYP featured characters so we cannot have FILMation Marzo or Evil Seed but now we get FILMation Shadow Beast. Mini-comic characters are allowed so we can get green Dress Marlena but not Light Hope.

I think they make it up as they go!

Show me a pic of Kothos, and he might gain a new fan !
    There are not many pics of Kothos on the net. There's a head-pic in this thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ghlight=Kothos

However, the pictures do not do this bad boy justice, I really recommend you break out the DVDs and watch 'The Witch & The Warrior' and "Revenge is Never Sweet'. These are two excellent episodes centered on Evil Lyn.

'Cos he's one of the human guest villains he has never ranked as high on the fan want list as the more visually dynamic creature villains. However, he's a bit like the Boss Hogg of MOTU, fat, greedy and a braggart.

It's probably a thing that complicated background business dealings that's involved. Something that people outside the company wouldn't know and wouldn't have need of knowing. To say "they don't have the rights" is easy enough and wraps things up. When we start seeing versions of characters that technically should be Filmation, there is probably a lot of red tape involved.

So yeah, it really doesn't matter what Mattel owns. All these speculation threads mean little to nothing to Mattel anyway. It's just another person trying to build a post count at the end of the day. Mattel will do as they have been doing and release who they want to release Maybe eventually if the line starts burning out, then they might start paying more attention, but until then they have a pretty good idea what people are looking for. It's obvious from the lack of other main characters that haven't been done, they're still in the mode of stretching things out.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Quote Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
    It's probably a thing that complicated background business dealings that's involved. Something that people outside the company wouldn't know and wouldn't have need of knowing. To say "they don't have the rights" is easy enough and wraps things up. When we start seeing versions of characters that technically should be Filmation, there is probably a lot of red tape involved.

So yeah, it really doesn't matter what Mattel owns. All these speculation threads mean little to nothing to Mattel anyway. It's just another person trying to build a post count at the end of the day. Mattel will do as they have been doing and release who they want to release Maybe eventually if the line starts burning out, then they might start paying more attention, but until then they have a pretty good idea what people are looking for. It's obvious from the lack of other main characters that haven't been done, they're still in the mode of stretching things out.
    Well ... we never did get to the bottom of why Toyguru asked us all last year to nominate which FILMation characters we would like incorporated into MOTUC. He just asked the question and never commented at the end of it.

It could have meant they were considering going after the rights. Or it could have meant they already had them, even way back then! Or it could mean Toyguru just likes messing with our heads!

Okay, so... what would be the logic of NOT saying they had the rights? That's what I don't get about this (frankly, bizarre) theory that they have the rights but aren't telling us.