Thread: NYC September 13th Get Together

NYC September 13th Get Together

Hi Guys,

I am pretty disappointed about Power-Con like many of you but I still think there is an opportunity for us to do something fun in NYC. I am thinking of getting together in midtown NYC for drinks and food. Followed...by more drinks?

I have received interest both on this thread and via private message. Here are the details.

Saturday, September 13th.
    4PM. Session House. (53rd and 2nd)

Guests: my neighbor with the cats and the guy from the mailroom at work that talks to himself.
    Merchandise: my loose Dekker

All kidding aside- we may have some cool stuff at the bar- we are currently working all that stuff out.

I know it is hard to please everyone with a site but I found this place to be centrally located and spacious. Plus, from what I read, the crowds even on a weekend are not too obnoxious here. A 4 o'clock start should help too.

Hope to see everyone there! More to follow as it develops!
    Last edited by Grouchor; July 21, 2014 at 09:16am.

Will your guests be doing Q and A? Will we be able to get pictures with the cats?

Seriously, I hope you folks can make something out of a bad situation.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Lol, I was just going to suggest something similar. Let's organize a mini Power-Con! I can assume there's quite a lot of people with non-refundable tickets, so let's just all get together and have fun. I wonder how many people plan on coming to NY anyway now that they can't cancel the tickets. When we know that number we can start planning

My new show will be opening the weekend before. Maybe you guys can come as a group that Saturday evening? It's a very funny show.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    we could meet at Action Burger, they had a cosplay contest there a few months ago & i know that Montasy Comics has space in the back that they usually use for card games.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Widget
    I'd go to this.

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    We might not have the con, but this sounds like a great idea. Count me in.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

If you already bought airfare to the canceled show, it was pointed out to me that most airlines will give credit. I did some more research, and it looks like a number of airlines will give you credit towards another ticket bought within a year. They usually charge a "change fee" for this, but at least some value can be applied without losing the total value of the ticket. I'm very sorry that the cancelation resulted in some of you being stuck with airfare.

But if some of you still plan to continue out to NY and make a weekend out of it, I think that's great.

And if you are going to plan a group outing, that's even better. Would this be something open to all folks to come here and discuss and plan with you all? If so, I'm happy to direct people to this thread via the Power-Con site, Facebook page and Twitter account.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    And if you are going to plan a group outing, that's even better. Would this be something open to all folks to come here and discuss and plan with you all? If so, I'm happy to direct people to this thread via the Power-Con site, Facebook page and Twitter account.
    That is exceedingly nice of you to offer. This is absolutely open to anyone. We already have a couple orgers who expressed interest so I guess at this point this thing is a go! (I already got approval from my wife, so even if it is just me and loose Dekker drinking at an East Village dive bar this thing is happening!)

As we get closer to 9/13 I can look at options for reservations based on anticipated headcount. Either a room or large table, depending.

I was really sold when people said the best part of Power-Con is meeting fellow fans. This should be fun!

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    does anyone else have any opinions on the locations i posted? i would rather not hang out at a dive bar talking about he-man.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Thanks Val! Yeah, definitely send people over to this thread! The more the merrier! And, join us if you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    does anyone else have any opinions on the locations i posted? i would rather not hang out at a dive bar talking about he-man.
    Action Burger looks fun, I've never been but I'd love to try. We could do that for a group lunch and then switch locations. Not sure how big the comic place is - were you thinking the Manhattan or the Queens location?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    Tough crowd. Doesn't have to be a dive bar- that was a little tongue and cheek (there are many great places in downtown NYC with lots of character that aren't dive bars). We can secure a room at myriad places if the headcount is there- and bounce around if we feel like it. Attaching a suggestion here. There are lots of choices. http://sessionhousenyc.com/

Regarding action burger I don't think it is a good choice only because it is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. While I would still go for example, it would take me several trains, (including commuter and the L on a weekend- cringe) to get there. We have an opportunity to have this in Manhattan and make it more convenient for all those taking public transit. I feel like that is one of the draws of doing this.

Plus if anyone has interest in checking Bcrduke's performance after, it would be more convenient.

Widget
    I'm new to the boards but in the NY area and would def be up for meeting folks, count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum Falcon View Post
    I'm new to the boards but in the NY area and would def be up for meeting folks, count me in!
    That's great! Welcome to the boards. Regardless of where this occurs, it seems like there is already enough interest to make this a "go". If JVS3 can help us get the word out it should only get bigger.

I'm planning on going to bcrduke's show in the evening, but a lunch meet-up would be great!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

If you all wouldn't mind getting together and drafting an initial press release that details how you'd like this promoted to the public, I'd be grateful. Then I can work with Jon to get something whipped up for the Power-Con site.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

OK guys OP updated with details. Fellow orgers are going to help us get the word out over the next few days and weeks via podcast and social media! I will draft a press release for Val and get that off to him ASAP. Thanks all!