Thread: What do you want in a new brand manager for MOTU?

What do you want in a new brand manager for MOTU?

I don't know if anyone from Mattel, or anyone in a position of power at Mattel, bothers to read this board now that Scott is gone. But if they do, this might be our one chance to tell them and to tell that nascent brand manager what we want from them. What should be done differently going forward? What would we like to see change about MOTU? What would we desperately like to see stay the same?

Don't assume they know.

Myself,

I'm only interested in product which is compatible with MOTUC. The packaging and the name of the series doesn't matter much to me, but I would only buy product which is compatible with the massive collection I've already accumulated.

MOTU needs to start marketing. It's not good enough to tell your rapidly dwindling fanbase to get the word out and to all buy another sub (or 4). The new brand manager needs to have ideas and know how to reach out to new and lapsed customers in a way which MOTUC, up until now, showed no interest.

I would like someone who is as open and ready to communicate with the customers as Scott was. It would be a shame if we stopped getting video product reveals and regular Q&As.

I'd like someone who is realistic about the problems the line has at this point. S&H is ridiculous. Digital River is horrendous. We have had too many QA problems lately.

Don't make actions figures of yourself, certainly not more than one. And please: put the customers ahead of yourself with EVERY release.

Snake Mountain.

Mix in new and improved versions of the hardest to find and rarest characters which have already been done with characters which have never been made.

Make the core characters, the main dozen or so characters from the He-Man franchise, always available for new customers to buy easily.

Look into getting some of your products into comic book shops.

And????
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I agree with almost everything you said except for the being more open with the fans. I felt ToyGuru was to close to the fan base at times and came across as arrogant and polarizing. I like to be kept informed about the product I am buying but just stick to facts and the information that is vital and not giving some excuse why we did this or that. I have always been of the mindset that if you make a good product you don't need to sell it because it will sell itself,I always hated the excuses ToyGuru gave for QA issues and cost increases,I know costs go up and there is nothing that can be done about it but don't try to use that as an excuse for cheap and poorly constructed figures.I would rather pay more for quality figures than pay the current price for mediocre ones. I am sorry for going off topic a bit but I just hate excuses and I felt that was one of ToyGuru's problems when he communicated with fans.I believe the next brand manager should be honest and upfront but not to close to the fan base and just do his or her job and give us the best product they can for what we pay for and no excuses,if you mess up, admit it and fix it.That is how you keep your customer happy and loyal for years to come.

Heroic Warrior
    Vintage toy lines practically run themselves it requires no creativity since after all they aren't new wholesale brands from scratch. All the looks were done decades ago and just require the 4h to sculpt them. Really I doubt his replacement will be as strong an advocate in pushing for things fans want like tweaks or bonus heads etc. I just would hope they know character selection after vintage wraps, keep fans updated and keep pressure on the factories when it comes to maintaining quality control. Also in 2016 opt out of adopting a sub model and continue the. 6 inch four horsemen motuc style we've had all these years. Stop with the chase figure. Stop with the sdcc item having an exclusive item like the imp chest
    Last edited by degra; October 18, 2014 at 08:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    I have always been of the mindset that if you make a good product you don't need to sell it because it will sell itself
    I always though this idea was TG's biggest mistake. Quality does not always out. I'm a big believer in marketing. If you have a crap product but the best marketing in the world, you can become a billionaire.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    I agree with almost everything you said except for the being more open with the fans. I felt ToyGuru was to close to the fan base at times and came across as arrogant and polarizing. I like to be kept informed about the product I am buying but just stick to facts and the information that is vital and not giving some excuse why we did this or that. I have always been of the mindset that if you make a good product you don't need to sell it because it will sell itself,I always hated the excuses ToyGuru gave for QA issues and cost increases,I know costs go up and there is nothing that can be done about it but don't try to use that as an excuse for cheap and poorly constructed figures.I would rather pay more for quality figures than pay the current price for mediocre ones. I am sorry for going off topic a bit but I just hate excuses and I felt that was one of ToyGuru's problems when he communicated with fans.I believe the next brand manager should be honest and upfront but not to close to the fan base and just do his or her job and give us the best product they can for what we pay for and no excuses,if you mess up, admit it and fix it.That is how you keep your customer happy and loyal for years to come.
    Exactly. I want the next brand manager to spend all his time making the best toys possible. Every minute he waste on pointless interaction with the fandom is time that should be dedicated to design, quality control and infrastructure improvements. I don't want someone making constant excuses for a sub-par line, I want great toys.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I always though this idea was TG's biggest mistake. Quality does not always out. I'm a big believer in marketing. If you have a crap product but the best marketing in the world, you can become a billionaire.
    Why would we want a well-marketed crap product?

Just the idea of a new MOTU brand manager makes me nervous, but ideally...

- An extreme familiarity with and passion for the brand, someone who continues to champion MOTU
    - A history of experience in brand management, marketing, coordinating production, etc.
    - Use of social media to interact with customers, as well as a recognition of the value of fan site Q&A's, product reveals, youtube reviews, con appearances, etc.
    - Continued pursuits of new avenues of marketing MOTU
    - The vision and experience to take MOTU to the next level as a competing brand at retail with new media
    - Likewise, the vision and experience to capitalize on the success of MOTUC and continue the MOTU brand as a viable collector's market by expanding the adult-targeted MOTU merchandise range successfully, and hopefully continuing desirable MOTUC-like product in some form in 2016 and beyond
    - Having said that, someone who does not disregard the previous brand manager's notes for MOTUC, or try to put their own stamp on anything already in 2015 for validation's sake or at the expense of MOTUC, or try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to what has been successful for MOTUC
    - A willingness to listen to constructive criticisms while maintaining an ability to weather not-so-constructive critics, and specifically a willingness to at least try to understand, communicate and resolve some of the more specific customer service issues from collectors (DR issues, MOC packaging issues, things like reversed soldiers, "diaper crotch," etc. that others might not take seriously)

A free hot pocket in every mailer box.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

If I was hiring I want a Brand Manager with the same passion and zest for the line as ourselves. Here are the traits and qualities I hope the new Brand Manager have or will have .

( 1 ) Fan interaction . This was one of the best things I liked about Scott . He was always interested in what we thought of something .

( 2 ) Must be a die-hard MOTU fan themselves . Not someone with a degree just to collect a paycheck .

( 3 ) Give everybody MORE time on subscriptions . This was my only complaint about Scott, other than this he was excellent . I just felt like there was not enough time on subscriptions. The deadlines would come too fast . Everyone has bills to pay such as phone bills, car notes , rent , utilities , etc. and after paying bills have very little left for toys .

If the new Brand Manager has these traits, then this would be the perfect replacement for Scott .
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

Quote Originally Posted by MC Modulok View Post
    Why would we want a well-marketed crap product?
    Of course we wouldn't. Don't be ridiculous. But let's not forget that this year's sub apparently hit 100.09%.

As things stand, it seems likely the sub would have a hard time hitting 70% next year. The experiment in not marketing has run it's course.
    Last edited by No-Ah; October 18, 2014 at 09:30pm.

Interaction with the fans. It's imperative they know what WE want - and that's probably NOT the same as TG's new 2016+ roadmap…

For me, an extension of MOTUC HAS to rely heavily on fan-demanded Filmation characters. Given the low sub sales, it's the ONLY method that could save the line. Pepper in a few NA and minicomic characters and be done with it.

To represent the more vintage side of things, release some dioramas like Skeletor's bone throne or a Whispering Woods diorama, perhaps packaging them with 2.0 redos of characters like Whiplash, Teela and Frosta.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

If the plan is to have a potential Classics-like collector's line remain an online-only venture, then I would like someone who is open to listening to everyone on here, has a really good understanding of internet culture, can think outside of the box and also isn't afraid to use the available budget in unconventional ways.

Mattel did a good job of covering the obvious bases by updating fans via Facebook and Twitter, but I always felt there were so many simple things they could be doing to increase the chances of their news updates being picked up by the larger media as opposed to just the bubble of usual toy news reporting sites most of the time. If you want the general public to be interested in your product, you have to go to the people instead of expecting folks to find you.

One of the first things I would want a Brand Manager to do, is gather a team of Mattel employees who are genuinely interested in the brand and have them create accounts on the hottest music and celebrity-related forums (they go off-topic, too!), with the goal of maintaining a consistent presence on said forums. (i.e. anonymously discussing the products, characters etc. as fans) It's so important that the outside world sees some actual discussion. That's what gets some folks interested!

Next thing is creating a library of ****INTERESTING AND FUNNY**** MOTU/POP/NA/200X/1987 movie gifs that would be purposefully used in off-topic discussions, too. Gifs are one of the ways this new generation communicates with each other and they sometimes can become "gateway" memes, creating awareness for various brands.

I would want the Brand Manager to be open to reaching out to a pop star to have them create a figure, which would also appear in the DC Comics, in the way that Mattel reached out to Geoff Johns. Somebody with appeal beyond a niche group. Once they had a pop star secured, I would want the Brand Manager to immediately try to schedule a chat on Reddit's AMA (Ask Me Anything) to discuss the collaboration and brand, as Reddit chats are often picked up by the media. (Mattel would need to find at least one semi-known/famous person internally or from DC Comics to be preside over the chat.)

Those are just some examples. That's where I'm at on this subject.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Emiliano Santalucia for brand manager!

What MOTU needs more than anything right now is NEW BLOOD. The strategy of marketing toys to the adult collector has reached its end point. The DC comics are winding down into a smaller and smaller niche of readers. This is not something that is sustainable anymore. MOTU needs to go back to its roots and start going after the kids market again. Entertaining the 5 to 10 year old set is really what He-Man is all about. MOTU needs to become a mainstream retail toy line again.

Getting a new brand manager is some of the best news I have heard in a long time. MOTU needs someone who is going to shake things up and get the franchise out of this rut. Look at how Transformers, Ninja Turtles, GI-Joe have kept their brands alive by continuing to market to new generations. Even My Little Pony has had huge Renaissance in the last 10 years while MOTU has been left to wither away. That is just sad. Things need to change while there are still people around wondering what happened to He-Man.

They need to design a new line of He-Man toys aimed at kids and then they need to heavily advertize it like they used to do in the 1980s. If you can remember how it was back then He-Man was everywhere. This is because Mattel used to advertise like crazy and did all kinds of tie in promotions. Kids were not born loving MOTU, they had to be introduced to it through advertizing.

Here are some brainstorming points:

- Simply the toy line for NEW for new fans. Sell them in 3 packs or stand alone
    (He-Man, Teela, Man-at-arms),
    (Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Trap-Jaw),
    (Triclops, Beastman, Panther),
    (Orko, Prince Adam, Battle-Cat),

- Advertise these toys on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon

- Get in contact with the Simpson's or Family Guy and see if they will do a MOTU skit.

- Encourage Robot Chicken to do more He-Man skits.

- Try to get "TheFineBros" to do a He-Man episode. They always have kids from now play with old 80s toys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eud3eJloXEM

- Try to get the Cartoon Network to revive 200X series for a little while. Even if they just make a couple new episodes it will be something to build on later.

- Let Hollywood finally make that He-Man movie that has been on the drawing board for the last ten years. Get it done already.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I want nothing from a brand manager. But I am sure their employer would want him/her to do their job competently.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

No need for a MOTUC "brand manager", the line is on auto pilot. He was the "marketing manager"anyway. He hasn't been a "brand manager" for quite some time now. Also with nothing to sell on mattycollector, not much need for a manager.

Someone who loves NA so we can get all the Galactic Guardians and Mutants.

Someone who takes fan polls and fan feedback seriously, and who doesn't insinuate themselves into the brand too much.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    The biggest thing I want is a change and removal of the sub drive tactics and fear marketing. Don't put the burden on your customers to advertise this line, and don't get the community in a panic so that they buy more subs then they need. It is simply not healthy for a line to depend on resellers. Completely ridiculous.

Getting people to buy a ton of subs may look great on a P&L, but once those numbers are in and the anxiety wears off collectors have a full year to be disappointed and angry that they are "taking a loss" on a figure or can't unload extra figures. I don't care what characters you have in a sub, ballooning sales beyond what interest there is is not sustainable.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Widget
    I hope the next brand manager isn't another fearmonger.

Listening to Toyguru's condescending videos made me almost hate He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I don't know if anyone from Mattel, or anyone in a position of power at Mattel, bothers to read this board now that Scott is gone. But if they do, this might be our one chance to tell them and to tell that nascent brand manager what we want from them. What should be done differently going forward? What would we like to see change about MOTU? What would we desperately like to see stay the same?

Don't assume they know.

Myself,

I'm only interested in product which is compatible with MOTUC. The packaging and the name of the series doesn't matter much to me, but I would only buy product which is compatible with the massive collection I've already accumulated.

MOTU needs to start marketing. It's not good enough to tell your rapidly dwindling fanbase to get the word out and to all buy another sub (or 4). The new brand manager needs to have ideas and know how to reach out to new and lapsed customers in a way which MOTUC, up until now, showed no interest.

I would like someone who is as open and ready to communicate with the customers as Scott was. It would be a shame if we stopped getting video product reveals and regular Q&As.

I'd like someone who is realistic about the problems the line has at this point. S&H is ridiculous. Digital River is horrendous. We have had too many QA problems lately.

Don't make actions figures of yourself, certainly not more than one. And please: put the customers ahead of yourself with EVERY release.

Snake Mountain.

Mix in new and improved versions of the hardest to find and rarest characters which have already been done with characters which have never been made.

Make the core characters, the main dozen or so characters from the He-Man franchise, always available for new customers to buy easily.

Look into getting some of your products into comic book shops.

And????

Love this ^^^^^^

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    For starters...
    I want someone who doesn't know the term "not my department." Someone who owns up to their mistakes and makes progression instead of excuses.
    Dolph He-man, Langella Skeletor, Exclusive God Skeletor, Karg, Lubic, Shock Troopers.

Join the movement, Movie figures sub for two thousand x-teen.