Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fright Zone Dragon in MOTUC appreciation thread

Fright Zone Dragon in MOTUC appreciation thread

Fright Zone Dragon in MOTUC

The reveal of the Etheria Map depicts the vintage toy Fright Zone as remaining the base for Hordak and the Evil Horde - with a slight amalgamating of the black 'legs' from the FILMation toon.

One thing the picture does reveal is that the green Fright Zone Dragon still exists in MOTUC:

After seeing the Castle Grayskull diorama at SDCC, I'm more confident we will eventually see playsets incorporated into MOTUC. As a result, I'm interested to learn fan's thoughts on how the Fright Zone Dragon should be represented in this line.

Personally, I don't want another sock-dragon included with any Fright Zone playset.

I would ideally like to see a properly articulated green dragon beast-figure. Something long and snake-like similar to the vintage dragon-puppet, possibly with little wings, like the evil wyvern creature Skeletor attacked Grayskull with in the MYP episode Dragons Brood. However, I feel this creature definitely should be dragon like and not a snake (that's the gimmick of some other fortress ).

It would also be cool if the mouth could open to swallow a victim and trap them inside the dragon's body.

Oh yeah, my thinking is the Fright Zone Dragon would be sold separately from the playset as a beast figure.

Is anyone else up with this concept - or hopefully have ideas much cooler.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    Sounds good! My poor husband needs to get rid of his Lego collection when playsets will be produced. Otherwise he hasnīt enough space...

The FZ-dragons main body could be used for Beastmans 200x serpentaurs. It would fit.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

For me, it doesn't necessarily have to be a separate beast. I could deal with a partial beast with articulated jaw that attaches to the actual playset.

I remember, even as a kid, looking at the Fright Zone and asking myself "Ok, what am I supposed to do with this?" It was kinda lame, for a playset. And the reason is because all they gave us was the exterior. We know there's a scary dragon, a whomping willow, and a prison cell. But where do the bad guys hang out? If/when a FZ playset is produced, I hope we get to see some of the inside.

And yes, please, on improving the big scary dragon.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    This playset is cool for redone it completly. The Beast is a must-have. It need a cool name and can be released alone to save cost of the playset.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    The Beast is a must-have. It need a cool name and can be released alone to save cost of the playset.
    I hate to think what name the Matty bio-writers would give this creature.

Grizzlor's ridiculous name was about the last straw. While I agree with you it should have a cool name, I fear I'd much rather just call it Fright Zone Dragon than let Matty's people at it!!!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    For me, it doesn't necessarily have to be a separate beast. I could deal with a partial beast with articulated jaw that attaches to the actual playset.
    I agree, this is a good idea!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I always loved would prefer a full beast instead of half or a puppet again.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by flitzi View Post
    The FZ-dragons main body could be used for Beastmans 200x serpentaurs. It would fit.
    Just watched 'Walk with Dragons' episode tonight and the serpentaur is a very good model for the type of Fright Zone Dragon I was thinking ... only perhaps not so lengthy. This type of dragon perfectly fits the vintage concept.

It would be great to see this "puppet" get the MOTUC treatment as a stand alone articulated beast. The more figures and beasts we get the longer this line can keep going. This is the kind of stuff Mattel needs to look into. We have so many things from the 80's that were always "just there", but never had a name or bio. But seeing as most of us remember who or what these things came from, why not give them an interesting background and make them feel like they really belong and are not "just there".
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

This exactly! I'd be happy with this!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Of course, the sock puppet would make it "classic" and nostalgic...
    Read my book: True Confessions of a Fanboy www.truefanboy.com

I third this suggestion. A whole beast/dragon would just drive the cost of the playset up even more than we would have to pay when they decide to bring these out.

Well, you guys are super oprimistic to belive we're getting Fright Zone

Even if we do get it eventually, we still need to be realistic. An articulated beast of that size would be super expensive. Look at the size of its head. To have a head that big, this beast would have to be the size of the entire playset, if not bigger.

I wouldn't like it to be a sock monster, but I think I would be fine with just a head and neck sticking out of the cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I agree, this is a good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    This exactly! I'd be happy with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    I third this suggestion. A whole beast/dragon would just drive the cost of the playset up even more than we would have to pay when they decide to bring these out.
    Woo. Three agrees. Someone put me in charge. haha

Aren`t we jumping the gun a bit? I mean they still haven`t said anything about Grayskull or Snake Mountain playsets

Woo. Three agrees. Someone put me in charge. haha
    Yea Tallstar for President!!

i agree this too.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm all for it ! A full Fright Zone Dragon beast, articulated and with hinged jaws, would be very sweet !

Plus, parts of it could be reused for the Serpintaur, and for the huge snake King Hsss rides as a mount in the mini-comics (cf. Powers of Grayskull) !

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Well, you guys are super oprimistic to belive we're getting Fright Zone

Even if we do get it eventually, we still need to be realistic. An articulated beast of that size would be super expensive. Look at the size of its head. To have a head that big, this beast would have to be the size of the entire playset, if not bigger.
    Just think Gigantisaur. Playset size, never-before released as a figure. Appears on several fans wanted lists. Why not the FZ Dragon also? And as others have noted, could possibly have parts re-use (if the line continues to be uber-successful) for King Hiss' Preternia ride and maybe 200x serpentaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Aren`t we jumping the gun a bit? I mean they still haven`t said anything about Grayskull or Snake Mountain playsets
    If you don't ask ...

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    I'm all for it ! A full Fright Zone Dragon beast, articulated and with hinged jaws, would be very sweet !

Plus, parts of it could be reused for the Serpintaur, and for the huge snake King Hsss rides as a mount in the mini-comics (cf. Powers of Grayskull) !
    Thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by Kane429 View Post
    Of course, the sock puppet would make it "classic" and nostalgic...
    Oh no! Please don't give Matty ideas that we still think sock puppets are cool in our 30's.

Heroic Warrior
    Of course, the sock puppet would make it "classic" and nostalgic
    Once again, Mattel is not obliged to pick up the LIMITATIONS from the original 80's line.

As MOTUC is an adult collector line, the sock puppet would have to be bigger anyway...

I know I won't be nostalgic at all if we don't get a sock puppet ! Why ? Because the Fright Zone "sock puppet" dragon is one of the very few 80's items that was not designed in a very clever way : the rubber used made it quite fragile (epecially after several years), and moreover, the paint would chip away !

That's why I'd take an articulated (please no "bendy" crap) figure over the sock puppet any day !

I would say a compromise is in order. Put out the FZ with a new modern "sock" puppet. Then follow it with an uber cool dragon that is designed to fill the spot and replace the sock. That way it keeps the playset cost down and give us fans who want it an option to buy a cool beastie to "play" along with the set.

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    I would say a compromise is in order. Put out the FZ with a new modern "sock" puppet. Then follow it with an uber cool dragon that is designed to fill the spot and replace the sock. That way it keeps the playset cost down and give us fans who want it an option to buy a cool beastie to "play" along with the set.
    I very much agree with this. It should make everyone (well, at least a lot of folks) happy. The follow-up dragon could be a diorama piece!
    Read my book: True Confessions of a Fanboy www.truefanboy.com

Heroic Warrior

I second this idea. That's an awesome idea, because I actually really like the sock puppet dragon, but would also want a full size dragon beast.

And yeah, we are jumping the gun, but we're just vocalizing how much interest there is in the playsets!

Drat! A voice of reason.