Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any International Buyers Feeling the Pinch?

Court Magician

Any International Buyers Feeling the Pinch?

Hi Guys - just wondering if any other International fans are feeling the pinch of buying MOTU figs?

I wanted a second set of Horde Troopers but once I had them in my cart and saw the price with postage I just thought what are you doing and let them go!

I love my figs but its starting to feel expensive.

Agent of the Evil Horde
    At least you got a set, some of us didn't even get that.

To answer your broader question, however, then yes, I'm feeling the pinch. I don't blame Mattel for a lot of the financial costs though, as a lot of this is outside their control, such as US postal rates, plus UK tax. It just means that I have to really prioritise the figures that I want. Not that it does much good when I can't actually get them though.
    Supporter of the New Adventures of He-Man
    Motu fan and collector since 1984

It is getting ridiculous for me. They just seem more expensive than ever. Next year I've eschewed the DHL shipping option In favour of the cheaper option. That'll make it a little easier. But it seems like Matty are making up the numbers with postage costs.

This month has generally been really expensive with all the sub stuff, weapons pak and other stuff. I'm hoping we won't have this quite as bad next year. But with the mini figures and the very real possibility of a POP add on sub, I might have to draw back from being the completist I am at the moment. Gulp!
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

huge. it hurts a lot to be honest. I wanted to get 5 sets of troopers (so ten troopers in total) even if they didn't sell out I wouldn't be able to afford that his month.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Yeah it does add up but in all honesty I am just so happy we live in a world where we can actually order things internationally without it being too much hassle (!) in comaprison to when I was a kid and would be so envious of most of the US only toys/video games etc that were never realeased in the UK

Court Magician
    Yup the figures are getting really expensive, especially with postage and customs fees. However I just can't let them go. I did buy 5 trooper packs ... I was surprised that the DHL shipping price was not that high compared to buying like 5 normal figs ... I will see how it turns out with customs to see if buying in bulk actually pays off or not. However buying 1 or 2 figs a month makes them come out at 35-40 euro a pop which is actually too much. However I have become a completionist and buying them off ebay is still more expensive. I wonder if people that pool their purchases actually get them cheaper? Any international buyer that buys for a group here? How much do they come out a figure then?

Man, this stuff is hard to afford domestically.
    I can only imagine how hard it is outside the US with international shipping and customs.
    You guys have my sympathies.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Heroic Warrior
    These figures are getting really expensive for what they are... Nevertheless, buying through a serious and competent reseller removes a lot of the stress caused by the lame Matty/DR website.

Heroic Warrior
    I am not looking forward to paying the vat/toll charge on two castle grayskulls next month :\
    Add to that 4xHorde Troopers and 1 mantenna, 1 filmation, 1 more horde trooper pack, and add again two packs of weapons, this coming month will really be about paying off the motuc purchases...

Oh and vat/toll for me is 25% of the cost+shipping combined (as well as a fee for about $20)
    So, one castle grayskull will cost me:

$344.30/4=86+$20= $106 extra

Or if the first shipping price is correct on the second one:
    $448.75/4=112+$20= $132

Add to that my regular figures:
    $171.60/4=42.9+$20=$62.9

The weapons packs:
    $61.70/4=15.4+$20 =$35.4

And the Horde Troopers I got extra:
    $294.60/4=73.65+$20=$93.65

You get this:
    $106+$132+$62.9+$35.4+$93.65=

$429.95 Which is a whole Castle Grayskull (Or like 15 figures!!!)

Oh yeah and since they are shipping Castle grayskull I have to actually pay them on this paycheck as well so that's another: $344+$448 or so.

This month is coming to a grand total of:
    $344
    +$448
    +$430
    +$294.60
    +$61.70
    +$171.60
    =$1741.90 ...
    Last edited by Haradrel; October 15, 2013 at 05:20pm.
    Fabulous secret powers revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    These figures are getting really expensive for what they are... Nevertheless, buying through a serious and competent reseller removes a lot of the stress caused by the lame Matty/DR website.
    Amen to that brother!!!
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Heroic Warrior
    Aside from the monthly emails to DR to make sure my items all ship together, financially I'm hanging in there thanks to a strong Canadian dollar, and DHL stepping up their level of service. Just ordered an extra 3 horde troopers and 2 Weapon paks, and it was $40 shipping. Not terrible, but add in the fact that the items will be here the day after shipping and I can live with it.

Duties are ofcourse painful, but I'm getting by.

If the Canadian dollar stays strong, DHL keeps it up and DR doesn't fudge up quarterly shipping, next year should be a good year.

My main worry is the Australian dollar. At the start of the line it was very weak against the American, and figures cost $40-$50 each. It then improved and was in parity for a long while. I've paid as low as $25ish for figures at one point.

Granted, I do sub with a bunch of others to save on shipping. It's the only way.

As of now, with Matty's price hike, figures are coming in at $35ish. Not too bad, but not great. I'm also fortunate that we don't get slugged customs fees here (it was raised a few years ago so unless you import thousands of dollars worth, you don't get slugged... I remember getting hit when I bought 4 Simpsons playsets off eBay in the early 2000s). I do feel for you guys who get hit with the customs fees. It sucks.

Mars Base Division ae_productions's Avatar
    To get hit with the Customs AND crazy international shipping fees!

A member wanted to buy a few figures from me here recently. The US Post Office would ONLY ship it Priority because of the size/weight (one figure was Megator)...

80 bucks. Just for the shipping. That's MORE than the cost of the figures! Insane.

I guess I won't be doing any international sales here. That sucks. For everyone.

If only we didn't have our MOTUC addiction...we'd have a lot more money in our pockets. :-)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ae_productions View Post
    To get hit with the Customs AND crazy international shipping fees!

A member wanted to buy a few figures from me here recently. The US Post Office would ONLY ship it Priority because of the size/weight (one figure was Megator)...

80 bucks. Just for the shipping. That's MORE than the cost of the figures! Insane.

I guess I won't be doing any international sales here. That sucks. For everyone.

If only we didn't have our MOTUC addiction...we'd have a lot more money in our pockets. :-)
    I don't understand this, are their different rules for different states/post offices?

I'm in Canada and have done a ton of deals with Americans, I've bought huge boxes and when I say huge I mean a box that had 35 carded Motuc in mailers and it was only $75.

I don't understand why they say you have to ship a certain way? Maybe it was just that postal worker that day?

Totally. Customs are a royal pain.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I assume it's because Priority Mail is the only method that offers true tracking, unlike First Class International. To Canada FCI is great because it now offers true, detailed tracking information just as PMI. There are plans from the USPS to offer tracking via FCI to most other countries, but so far those plans have not come to fruition

Personally I mail things to members here via First Class International and have yet not had an issue, but it's certainly understandable why folks here are hesitant to use it. It could, however, be a size issue as the limits to ship FCI can be no greater than 36" total dimensions (LWH).

Quote Originally Posted by cax16 View Post
    I don't understand this, are their different rules for different states/post offices?

I'm in Canada and have done a ton of deals with Americans, I've bought huge boxes and when I say huge I mean a box that had 35 carded Motuc in mailers and it was only $75.

I don't understand why they say you have to ship a certain way? Maybe it was just that postal worker that day?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    I assume it's because Priority Mail is the only method that offers true tracking, unlike First Class International. To Canada FCI is great because it now offers true, detailed tracking information just as PMI. There are plans from the USPS to offer tracking via FCI to most other countries, but so far those plans have not come to fruition

Personally I mail things to members here via First Class International and have yet not had an issue, but it's certainly understandable why folks here are hesitant to use it. It could, however, be a size issue as the limits to ship FCI can be no greater than 36" total dimensions (LWH).
    Thanks for clarifying.

I guess all of my packages come the method you send. I just get a customs number and can track the package through usps.com and canadapost.ca

Precisely, the customs number is now trackable as of this year, whereas before it was not. The USPS really needs to get on the ball here and get the tracking available for most countries as they indicated they would.

Yes, the S&H certainly does pinch a bit. While trying to get some Horde Troopers it was close to $50 for international post for 2 sets, plus then there'd probably be an extra $40-50 in brokerage fees thanks to DHL. I'm kind of happy in a way that Mattycollector conked out on me today simply for the fact that S&H plus the imminent brokerage fees would hurt a lot.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard, Darius, the rest of New Adventures.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I hate paying Customs. Those dudes don't know what they are doing when they calculate the amount thats payable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please like my cool MOTU Universe FaceBook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/browse/admi...14947855236095

The other week my wife was looking through our finances and inquired when the line was going to end. She'd be really happy if the 2015 sub didn't go through and the money saved could be put towards other things.

Ordering two sets to Portugal would cost over 184.5 US (150US + 34.5 US for customs).

something is very wrong indeed.

Just ordered an extra Mantenna, 2 sets of Horde Troopers and weapons pack, the shipping really does kill you, but i really feel for those that have to pay customs. At least thats one thing we dont have to worry about in Aus.

I think the other thing that really does my head in, is the fact these items take a month or more to get delivered. For the price we pay in shipping it shouldn't take this long. The other real pain of being an international buyer is that you don't really wana waste your time sending an item back if its defective. A Month to receive item, then send back and wait another month if not more for a replacement is ridiculous. I end up buying two of every item i really want as it works out cheaper then hunting down the figures on the secondary market. A Costly exercise to say the least.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The import duty VAT / Handling charges are vomit inducing every month - I've spent hundreds on those charges alone this year

However the line is worth it, I've just had to keep an eye my finances more closely this year.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Too right... October was an overloaded month, especially with my Filmation sub, and I expect to pay at least £30 extra for customs.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)