Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Horde Trooper Discussion

Guys, please be more respectful towards each other. Everyone has a right to express their opinions whether they be positive or negative as long as they do so in a constructive manner. Talk about the figure, not each other. thanks.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    The Horde Troopers look RIGHT. They look like the vintage figures.
    And the vintage figures were heavily compromised in both looks and basic action figure function by the 'exploding' feature that they had. They should have gone for more of a cartoon accurate look with extra details inspired by the old figures added in. Instead they just look like an update of that compromised look. Not everything should be a 100% exact translation.. and not everything has been. Look at Two Bad... there's clearly some 200X influence there, particularly in the heads/faces. Fisto's look, particularly his head/face, was updated to much applause by fans... if he had been as faithful to his vintage look, he would have had that goofy looking Mustache that curled up on each side and (which had that goofy look like he could start twirling it between his fingers, etc). Some figures do better with an update or some influence brought in from their representations in other media.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I was looking forward to these, but the actual figures aren't doing it for me. To each his own, I guess.
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I am soooooooo disappointed by the Horde Troopers. Way too cartooney for my taste. The eyes look horrible. I think Filmation is hurting this line immensely...
    They aren't "cartooney" at all. They look just like the vintage figure. Unfortunately, they look nothing like the Filmation Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    I think to me they look too vintage, needed a more menacing update, as others have said a regular Horde emblem would have worked. Like I said I don't hate them they just don't blow me away, my expectations were through the roof though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    And the vintage figures were heavily compromised in both looks and basic action figure function by the 'exploding' feature that they had. They should have gone for more of a cartoon accurate look with extra details inspired by the old figures added in. Instead they just look like an update of that compromised look. Not everything should be a 100% exact translation..

Agree with both posts.

And the vintage figures were heavily compromised in both looks and basic action figure function by the 'exploding' feature that they had. They should have gone for more of a cartoon accurate look with extra details inspired by the old figures added in. Instead they just look like an update of that compromised look. Not everything should be a 100% exact translation.. and not everything has been. Look at Two Bad... there's clearly some 200X influence there, particularly in the heads/faces. Fisto's look, particularly his head/face, was updated to much applause by fans... if he had been as faithful to his vintage look, he would have had that goofy looking Mustache that curled up on each side and (which had that goofy look like he could start twirling it between his fingers, etc). Some figures do better with an update or some influence brought in from their representations in other media.
    I'm not convinced that the Horde Troopers look in any way "compromised" by sticking to the vintage look. I think once we see some better shots of the final figures, most people will be very happy.

And for the record, I don't especially like Motuc Fisto's head. Probably why I didn't bother to take him out of the package.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

i don't mind the eyes because once you put his head down, he will become the horde trooper you know. just look at your vintage HT and he has the same eyes until they are tucked down.

i can't believe it is a club filmation. tons of fans waiting for these since the beginning of classics and that how they are treated? no troopers in the regular sub?
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

Quote Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
    i don't mind the eyes because once you put his head down, he will become the horde trooper you know. just look at your vintage HT and he has the same eyes until they are tucked down.

i can't believe it is a club filmation. tons of fans waiting for these since the beginning of classics and that how they are treated? no troopers in the regular sub?
    Umm... they are in the regular sub. They are this year's army builder 2-pack (the $50 quarterly item in the regular club). Where did you get that these are part of the Filmation sub?

This picture from Toyark taken at the SDCC Matty presentation clearly shows the Club Eternia logo in the corner of the slide with the Horde Troopers on it:

That was a mistake. The Horde Troopers are the 4th quarter oversized/army builder pack of the 2013 Club Eternia Subscription. There are only six figures in the Filmation Sub and they have been revealed:

1) Icer
    2) Shokoti
    3) Batros
    4) Nepthu
    5) Sea Hawk
    6) Strong Arm

They are in the regular sub, the the 4th quarter pack
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Umm... they are in the regular sub. They are this year's army builder 2-pack (the $50 quarterly item in the regular club). Where did you get that these are part of the Filmation sub?

i was looking at toyark's matty presentation blog and it said october filmation sub. i was very depressed......

glad it was just bad information

thanks
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

This was a figure I wanted and overall I'm pleased with how they turned out. I don't need 2 of them though.

I think Scott slipped and accidentally said they were part of the Filmation sub during the presentation. The slide however did not have the Filmation logo on it. I think it was just a slip of the tongue.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'm quite surprised by all the disappointed responses for the Horde Troopers. I think they look great! For the ones on display, it seems obvious to me that they just have the heads angled up. At any rate, I think they look great and am excited for my Trooper army!

I don't like that the symbol is circular. That was only because of the action feature on the vintage trooper, they should have got a regular emblem like the rest of the Horde.

I made this image to compare the three troopers. As you can see, the vintage figure has almost the exact same proportions as the Filmation trooper.
    The new one does not. The legs are slightly shorter proportionally, which is odd as most of the vintage figures had extremely stumpy legs, something that MOTUC rectified, but not in this case.
    Also, the face guard thing is around the same size on vintage/Filmation, but the MOTUC trooper has a much lengthier face guard.
    Despite the guard being longer, the head is obscured less by it. 80s versions both showing just a hint of the yellow part compared to MOTUC whole 'eye'.
    And even if you can tilt the head downwards to make just a little bit of eye appear, notice both 80s versions have a sharp pronounced 'V' shape to the top of the eyes, whereas on the MOTUC trooper it is a far less deeper V. I think this is why people are saying they don't look as evil/menacing as the old troopers, it's because of that.
    Also, the shoulders seem to point down a little, whereas they point straight on the vintage and up a little on the Filmation.
    Maybe... hopefully... a lot of these problems are heightened by the angle of all the pics I have seen so far.

It's a shame that as with Leech, one of my most anticipated figures is a disappointment and I am left wishing for a more Filmation accurate version. (I'm not trying to be too negative, still excited they're coming and most of the other reveals are AMAzing )

Troopers.jpg
    Last edited by Fright Zone; July 19, 2013 at 06:16pm.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Bio courtesy our own theShadow

Why did they sculpt their heads like that??? Very weird choice. The heads should have been straight up Filmation style.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    I don't like that the symbol is circular. That was only because of the action feature on the vintage trooper, they should have got a regular emblem like the rest of the Horde.

I made this image to compare the three troopers. As you can see, the vintage figure has almost the exact same proportions as the Filmation trooper.
    The new one does not. The legs are slightly shorter proportionally, which is odd as most of the vintage figures had extremely stumpy legs, something that MOTUC rectified, but not in this case.
    Also, the face guard thing is around the same size on vintage/Filmation, but the MOTUC trooper has a much lengthier face guard.
    Despite the guard being longer, the head is obscured less by it. 80s versions both showing just a hint of the yellow part compared to MOTUC whole 'eye'.
    And even if you can tilt the head downwards to make just a little bit of eye appear, notice both 80s versions have a sharp pronounced 'V' shape to the top of the eyes, whereas on the MOTUC trooper it is a far less deeper V. I think this is why people are saying they don't look as evil/menacing as the old troopers, it's because of that.
    Also, the shoulders seem to point down a little, whereas they point straight on the vintage and up a little on the Filmation.
    Maybe... hopefully... a lot of these problems are heightened by the angle of all the pics I have seen so far.

It's a shame that as with Leech, one of my most anticipated figures is a disappointment and I am left wishing for a more Filmation accurate version. (I'm not trying to be too negative, still excited they're coming and most of the other reveals are AMAzing )

Troopers.jpg
    You´re making lot of sense there. I guess some of that has to do with the use of the standard MotUC body under the armor.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    lame bio
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Big disappointment for me. I like them but there is something odd about them.
    They should have the possibility of changing the horde symbol (this is not asking too much) and even in the vintage figure the shoulders look more huge and bulky. So they lack one of the main features of this troopers. Small head, tiny eyes and, bulky shoulders.

- - - Updated - - -

Big disappointment for me. I like them but there is something odd about them.
    They should have the possibility of changing the horde symbol (this is not asking too much) and even in the vintage figure the shoulders look more huge and bulky. So they lack one of the main features of this troopers. Small head, tiny eyes and, bulky shoulders.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    no battle damage armor
    well thats ok
    we did get cool weapons im very happy with that
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Heroic Warrior
    Not too bad. But, I have to admit, I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be.

They look a little ... cheap, like a Happy Meal toy to me. I'm hopeful that it's just due to the lighting and how the figures on display have been posed.

And, although it was an unlikely inclusion, I'm also a little disappointed that there isn't an alternate General Sunder head.

They sort of have a "Fisher Price" preschool toy vibe to me...

I was really looking forward to what the 4H would have done with them after the awesome Snake Men army builder, but the designs just don't do it for me. I really hate the direction of the head sculpt. I wish there had been alternate head like with the other army builders. Not all things vintage looked good. Too bad. I thought this would have been one of the best figures of SDCC. Who'd of thought that Glimmer and Modulok (the ones I was most worried about) were my favorites.
    Last edited by phnx75; July 19, 2013 at 06:55pm.

They sort of have a "Fisher Price" preschool toy vibe to me...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...73928829_o.jpg
    That's how I felt about them, very underwhelming and cartoonish! Oh well, we win some, and we lose some.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Yes!
    Oxymoron here...but they look like toys (cheap ones).

Im not feeling them at all and i love the horde.

They look so...so...just undone.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I have to ask, what were people disappointed in Horde Troopers expecting? The eyes are pretty much as it was with the toy if you opened up the armour. The eye thing is non-issue, its just matter of displaying them properly.
    I agree, they're not posed properly…I think these guys turned out pretty fantastic. A lot of new pieces! Really looking forward to Pixel Dan's walk through vid with Toyguru!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!