Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Horde Trooper Discussion

They just how I was expecting them to, really pleased with them.

Just two very minor nitpicks about the weapons. I don't like the hole in the middle of the shield in between the bat wings, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a shield, wish it was filled in black or grey. Also I wish the eyes on the crossbow were facing away from the trooper not towards him, this is how it is on the other Horde crossbow, with the face facing away from the holder.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Piett View Post
    Orrrrr.....it might be a case of people jumping the gun and predicting they'll be horrible like people did with the Castle after it was announced that it would be tweaked. We know that the figures at SDCC don't have the best luck in always being photographed well or in being posed well; Has anyone though to ask Dan directly yet or anyone else that is at SDCC? His walk-through might not have commented on it, but if he or others have seen them first hand, they might be able to better say one way or the other. Personally, the eyes don't really both me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    the over exposed visor effect may be caused by the torso position or head orientation , let's wait for a close up review

I hope you guys are right, but between this
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Regarding the horde troopers, we fiddiled with their head a bit while the glass cabinet was open, and from what I have seen it's not possible to lower the head enough to have the two evil eyes.
    and the fact that the figures are final, I wouldn't hold my breath. Show me pics to make this go away.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    I hope you guys are right, but between this

and the fact that the figures are final, I wouldn't hold my breath. Show me pics to make this go away.
    Nooooooooooo...

I hope to see some pics...

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    UPDATE:
    This question seems to have been answered HERE , and it looks like they can not look down that far.
    Here is a comparison between the filmation, the MOTUC finals, and Vintage toys.
    Attachment 86208
    The heads can obviously not be seated low enough to recreate either look.
    Score another win for the design team! If you are army building and want a vintage or filmation look, get your Dremels out!

Just for fun I will reiterate my prediction:

Let the debacle begin! (after everything has settled from SDCC of course.)
    Geez! As much as I was complaining that they look too much like the vintage figures, based on that comparison I think the vintage figures actually look better than these! What were they thinking!

To me, however, the problem even with the vintage ones was that despite being able to adjust the head at an angle to make it approximate the Filmation look, the visor clearly never should have had that huge solid yellow segment in the first place. Instead there should have been two separate yellow triangles completely surrounded by black.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

My guess is, Design Made the peg too high (to accommodate other heads such as Heman) or made the hole in the head too close to the bottom, or both. Given the glorious track record of design and people not catching these things, is why I assume the worst. With the figures being almost Identical remakes of the vintage, and the head being seated WAY lower on the vintage, and the filmation heads and visors sitting so much lower, makes this a complete loss to me. Hopefully, there is enough space in the helmet to dremel out.

Of course, showing a picture of the visor below the chin guard would clear this all up, I just don't think it's possible. "These are your Horde Troopers People"

I think it was done on purpose because someone at design is a big fan of the monions from Despicable Me The troopers remind me so much of them
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Geez! As much as I was complaining that they look too much like the vintage figures, based on that comparison I think the vintage figures actually look better than these! What were they thinking!

To me, however, the problem even with the vintage ones was that despite being able to adjust the head at an angle to make it approximate the Filmation look, the visor clearly never should have had that huge solid yellow segment in the first place. Instead there should have been two separate yellow triangles completely surrounded by black.
    Maybe next year instead of a Weapons Pak, they could do a Heads Pak. with Filmation-style Horde Trooper heads.

Or include them with one of the smaller Horde vehicles, like the Bat Meks or Destructo Tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Maybe next year instead of a Weapons Pak, they could do a Heads Pak. with Filmation-style Horde Trooper heads.

Or include them with one of the smaller Horde vehicles, like the Bat Meks or Destructo Tanks.
    They also could have just not made them wrong in the first place

Too bad the 4 horsemen aren't the design team. Never noticed any crap like this with their own toylines.

I like them a lot. Can't wait to include them in my army.

Heroic Warrior
    Re-release horde troopers with filmation style visor to anchor subs for 2015!!! win win for every one. Its already tooled, just changed the head.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by Romadon View Post
    Re-release horde troopers with filmation style visor to anchor subs for 2015!!! win win for every one. Its already tooled, just changed the head.
    It won't work only because they probably already made more than anyone would want of these.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure why people are so down on these guys, I think they look fantastic, and having just watched the PDs walk though how awesome did it look with He-mans head,!!!
    As for the eyes, I think it all about the position of the head, and if it isn't you know one of the third party guys will do a filmation one

Quote Originally Posted by Zombihamma-AI View Post
    I'm not sure why people are so down on these guys, I think they look fantastic, and having just watched the PDs walk though how awesome did it look with He-mans head,!!!
    As for the eyes, I think it all about the position of the head, and if it isn't you know one of the third party guys will do a filmation one
    Quote Originally Posted by
    Originally Posted by oulala
    Regarding the horde troopers, we fiddiled with their head a bit while the glass cabinet was open, and from what I have seen it's not possible to lower the head enough to have the two evil eyes.
    10 or more custom heads would be very expensive for army building.

Heroic Warrior
    The Horsemen need to make some helmeted "Raven" figure heads that look just like Horde Trooper heads that amazingly when placed on the MOTUC Horde Trooper sit lower and look better? That would be a nice coincidence Although I'm at least hoping Kevin Kosse or some other outstanding customizer can make some heads that fit "right".

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    The Horsemen need to make some helmeted "Raven" figure heads that look just like Horde Trooper heads that amazingly when placed on the MOTUC Horde Trooper sit lower and look better? That would be a nice coincidence Although I'm at least hoping Kevin Kosse or some other outstanding customizer can make some heads that fit "right".
    If you want more than 2 I would suggest Dremeling out a deeper hole in the head so it sits lower. A lot cheaper that way, and the way the 4 horsemen meant them to be, or closer anyway.

In case anyone is wondering what the problem is and hasn't read the entire thread...

The middle 2 are FINAL and according to folks at the con, the helmets will not go much lower than these pics. It is obvious that the heads just don't sit low enough on the peg or that the peg is too tall.(or even the armor is too low-doubtful) So until we see pics or we have 100% confirmation from reliable sources that they will not look this ridiculously worse than the vintage toy, "houston, we have a problem". Good luck selling boatloads of multiples of these, as well as Skysleds. At least this seems to be the only major thing messed up from the reveals...so far. This has to be the worst with all of the potential for multiple sales hindered by this, small aesthetic issue. If you think they look good, well I am happy for you, but those aren't the droids I was looking for...
    Last edited by darkmoon766; July 20, 2013 at 11:33pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I've been trying really hard to convince myself that these look good, but... yeah. These did not work out. When the vintage figure looks better than a $25 dollar figure sculpted in 2013, you know somethings gone wrong. The proportions are terrible, the helmets, and I'm worried about the hip articulation-- looks like it could be pretty limited.

Overall, they look like Horde Cosplayers.

When everyone had pretty much concluded that the troopers would be the army builder, I was already suspecting something. The troopers really need to be oversized figures, like Ram Man, and $50 just was not going to cover that.

This toyline hits the sweet spot most of the time, but these are a major fumble.
    Last edited by Gnarliehog; July 21, 2013 at 12:54am.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Here's what I don't get. In the PowerPoint at the panel, the pic showed that the heads could sit properly to give it the right look. Aren't the pics taken when the first production samples arrive? Is it possible that that its just something with these two samples?
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Flutterina, and Tung Lashor

According the TheFwoosh, this is apparently as low as they go:
    http://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-co...7/DSC_0846.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    According the TheFwoosh, this is apparently as low as they go:
    http://i1.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-co...7/DSC_0846.jpg
    Not bad but not great. I think it's acceptable. If the figures have a good range of articulation I'll personally be pleased with them.

Hmm, how many NA part resues do I see in there? Flogg for sure. Hoove probably. 2nd NA Skelly, maybe.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    DYLAMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD! THE MOB IS GROWING!

So they come with 1 spear only
    What's the point of a 2-pack if one is incomplete.
    Vintage Horde Trooper's accessory was the spear.
    The 2-pack must have at the very least 2 spears,
    It'll be a huge disappointment if they come with only 1 spear...
    horde01_full.jpg
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Mara, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Blast-Attak, Hunga the Harpy, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Dragstor, Imp, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn

trooper_corrected.jpg

I loved the vintage Troopers ... but to be honest these are not perfect. I rate them 6/10 ... they could have been 10/10 easily. I'm not sure why Mattel changed their look. It's not only the "eyes" but the shoulder-pads are somehow too "freindly". I photoshopped how they would have been perfect (for me).

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavericius View Post
    trooper_corrected.jpg

I loved the vintage Troopers ... but to be honest these are not perfect. I rate them 6/10 ... they could have been 10/10 easily. I'm not sure why Mattel changed their look. It's not only the "eyes" but the shoulder-pads are somehow too "freindly". I photoshopped how they would have been perfect (for me).

I like your photoshop
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Thanks! I didn't change the head just lowered ist. And when I looked at my vitage Trooper I noticed the shoulders ... right now they look like your friedly everyday-robot you would ask for the way ... don't get me wrong. I like them but it could have been real love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavericius View Post
    trooper_corrected.jpg

I like your photoshop very much.
    You are right about the shoulders.

Imagine you met a Trooper in the dark, you could easily recognize him by the silhouette of his body, especially due to the shoulders. If you met a MOTUC trooper in the dark, you wouldn't know it's a Trooper until it's too late

But in all seriousness, the shoulders are my main gripe. They look worng. They have changed the character of the figures way too much, espeicially with the addition of the eyes.
    I guess the head can be fixed somehow by drilling the hole a bit deeper or use something to make the armor sit higher. But we'll never be able to fix the shoulders.

I'm getting this suspicion that the 4H have more work than they can handle. Their workload is just too much and therefore more and more of these not very well executed sculpts show up (Nepthu with too little detail and a wrong head sculpt, Troopers, Dactys not classisized enough, NA He-Man's face and hands, other faces people have criticized like Clamp Champ, Fisto, Jitsu...)
    Awesome sticker included!