View Poll Results: Who Is THE ORIGINAL "He-Man" In Your Opinion?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vikor!!!

14 8.24%
  • He-Ro!!!

29 17.06%
  • King Grayskull!!!

53 31.18%
  • Wun-Dar!!!

5 2.94%
  • Oo-Larr!!!

37 21.76%
  • Other(Please Explain)!!!

32 18.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Is THE ORIGINAL "He-Man" In Your Opinion?

Who Is THE ORIGINAL "He-Man" In Your Opinion?

Of the non-Prince Adam "He-Men" released, revealed, or mentioned so far, which one is THE ORIGINAL "He-Man" in your opinion. This isn't necessarily about which came first in MOTUC continuity or who was designed, created, or written about first either. Who is your pick for the "ultimate" ancestor or inspiration for Prince Adam's He-Man?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Oo-Larr

While Vikor might have been the concept He-Man, Oo-Larr was the finished concept, the original "Mattel jungle man".

Heroic Warrior

down with da king

I chose King Greyskull because that is where it all begin.

i chose He-Ro ... because isn't he the first to hld the sword of power/...!?!?
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    i chose He-Ro ... because isn't he the first to hld the sword of power/...!?!?

oooooh. good point. forgot about that.

I chose He-Ro.

Not only does he have one of MOTUC's coolest looking toys(imo that is) & a much more unique design than the others listed above(at least until we see what Oo-Larr looks like), he's also the original He-Man ancestor. Sure, he never saw his toy made until decades later, but he was around in mini-comic form long before the later character retcons were given names and/or histories.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I refuse to call him Oo-Lar but yes, he's the ultimate he-man. Can I just call him Earth 2 He-man instead? (see what I did there?)
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I choose Oo-Lar as well. Can't mess with that mini-comic influence...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I voted Other. Other as in I still hate this idea. "Oo-Larr" is He-Man, so I guess if I had to choose I choose that one even though the name is stupid and to me he's the same character as the real Prince Adam He-Man.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Other.

He-Man is the original He-Man. All who came before are just prototypes, mere pretenders to the title.

I voted Vikor, to me he seems to be more of a warrior than Oo-Larr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajac71
    'Picture it, Eternia.......'

MOTUC Story:
    Prince Adam/He-Man - He goes back into the past to find out how to beat the Snakemen. He fights alongside Grayskull and He-Ro, calling himself He-Man. Though He-Man disappears (goes back to the future to beat King Hsss), Grayskull's wife Veena remembers him and uses this title to represent those that protect the Power Sword. Thus Adam creates his own title/legend!

Bulkhide's Other Thoughts:
    King Grayskull is the ancestor of Adam and in a way the original He-Man, if you want to look at it that way.
    Last edited by Bulkhide; December 19, 2010 at 08:30pm.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    MOTUC Story:
    Prince Adam/He-Man - He goes back into the past to find out how to beat the Snakemen. He fights alongside Grayskull and He-Ro, calling himself He-Man. Though He-Man disappears (goes back to the future to beat King Hsss), Grayskull's wife Veena remembers him and uses this title to represent those that protect the Power Sword. Thus Adam creates his own title/legend!
    That sounds about 100% right. I'm not into multiple he-man characters or Demo-man either. He-man is he-man & skeletor will always be keldor with a skeleton face , to me anyways.
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

The only character I think of as He-man is Prince Adam. The others were all heros in Eternias past but not He-men.

Heroic Warrior
    Have to agree, He-Man is the one and only, I don't see He-Man as a title.
    Good trades with: Cammor

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post
    Bulkhide's Other Thoughts:
    King Grayskull is the ancestor of Adam and in a way the original He-Man, if you want to look at it that way.
    That was basically what my line of thought was when I voted for King Grayskull.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

Going with the MYP and MOTUC continuity, I have to go with King Grayskull.
    No comment.

I gotta go with King Grayskull. Everything speaks of the King. The Castle has his namesake, The transformation calls on the power of Grayskull, so heck it's all about King Grayskull. Nobody is saying "By the power of Ooolar" or "By the power of He-Ro".
    SUPPORTING THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HE-MAN 110%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Who is your pick for the "ultimate" ancestor or inspiration for Prince Adam's He-Man?
    Based on the ultimate ancestor or inspiration, I voted King Grayskull. But I still don't think of him, (or any of the others) as "He-Men".

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    The others were all heros in Eternias past but not He-men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakashian Calamari View Post
    Have to agree, He-Man is the one and only, I don't see He-Man as a title.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I chose He-Ro.

Not only does he have one of MOTUC's coolest looking toys(imo that is) & a much more unique design than the others listed above(at least until we see what Oo-Larr looks like), he's also the original He-Man ancestor. Sure, he never saw his toy made until decades later, but he was around in mini-comic form long before the later character retcons were given names and/or histories.
    I totally agree. He-Ro is my pick as well.

I prefer to think of King Grayskull as just another guardian of the Power Sword, much like Vikor and Wun-Dar were. When He-Man says "By The Power Of Grayskull" he's calling on the power of the castle itself, not KG.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    When He-Man says "By The Power Of Grayskull" he's calling on the power of the castle itself, not KG.
    Exactly!!! I really didn't want an explanation for Castle Grayskull or the powers it holds, but having it all come from a He-Man "clone" with long hair is extremely disappointing. Even having He-Ro as the inspiration for He-Man's famous phrase would have been better imo since not only was he "the most powerful wizard in the universe" to begin with, his real name of "Gray" wouldn't have been as blatant as a guy named "Grayskull" who just happened to live in a castle that looked like a gray skull. That's as bad as Beast Man's human name "Biff Beastman" from the Filmation Bible that thankfully was ignored.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    I voted for other because I think of (adam) as the original He Man. I'm not a fan of all these other ''He Men" I'm not that much of a fan of King Greyskull either , I like the original idea of He-Ro as the original leader back with in "The Powers of Greyskull" and having him as the Most powerful wizard in the Universe. Thats just want I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    When He-Man says "By The Power Of Grayskull" he's calling on the power of the castle itself, not KG.
    I agree that he is calling on the power of the castle but I also find it more plausible that King Grayskull's essence/spirit/power is what makes up Castle Grayskull's power as seen in that final battle in the 200X series. That is just my universe though I find it more mystical and fascinating rather than some old castle filled with power. Besides every castle had a king nobody just builds a castle or a castle doesn't just exist for the hell of it. That is why King Grayskull was a good addition to the universe. Once again just my opinion though.

The power of the universe originated on Trolla, strengthen by Grayskull and granted wisdom by the Elders. He-Ro brought this power to Eternia, maybe as a preordained prophecy, but He-Ro is the original "He-Man" in my canon. I hated the concept of King Grayskull at first, but grew to accept his place in MOTU. As far as the all that power coming from KG, I will not accept that. Castle Grayskull's location on Eternia was chosen for the concentration of magic and energy over that abyss. KG made sure the power could never be controlled by evil, by adding his essence to the sword and vowing only his heir/heirs will be able to tap into its power. Castle Grayskull holds its own powerful magic hence why so many villains want to get into it and control the universe. It has not been stated that the bad guys are after the Power Sword of He. Also He-Man can only tap into the power of Castle Grayskull, which to me soounds like he gets a portion of its power, but never all of it. Why would Grayskull need a Sorceress to protect it, if every time Adam changed into He-Man, all of its power were in him?

Hey I understand and I know the origins and back story that was originally given nor do I dispute it. I just find MYP's version of history more fascinating and interesting. This is what I like...

Castle Grayskull was once home to King Grayskull, an ancestor of Prince Adam & Princess Adora. He appears in the episode, "The Power of Grayskull", waging battle and ultimately defeating the Snake Men led by King Hiss but lost his sword in battle. He hoped it to be sign that it signified true peace for Eternia. However, Hiss' rival Hordak, who had defeated the Snake Men, was planning on conquering Eternia. Therefore, Grayskull went on a quest to find the power he needed to defend his kingdom. At the top of a mountain, he met the oracle who guided him on his quest, showing him his lost sword and explaining that his entire quest was to show his inner strength. Before leaving however, the Oracle informed him that he would not survive the battle. Despite knowing this, King Grayskull vowed to do whatever it took to save Eternia. He then returned to face Hordak. Though outnumbered, Grayskull managed to channel his mystical energies through his sword, turning Hordak's spell on himself and his army, sending them to the dark dimension called Despondos. Despite this victory however, the Oracle's prophecy came to pass, for Hordak, whose spirit was ripped from his body, managed to mortally wound Grayskull. As he lay dying, he proclaimed that his successor will wield his sword to defend Eternia. During his lifetime, King Grayskull ruled with wisdom and compassion.

Upon his death, King Grayskull transferred his mystical energies into his Power Sword which now forms the basis of He-Man's power, thus the transformation cry "By the power of Grayskull!", (at least in this version) refers to the king, not the castle. His wife, Queen Veena, became the first Sorceress and his advisers became the Council of Elders, who were empowered by his sword. The Sorceress first introduced the story to Prince Adam by showing him a previously unrevealed statue of his titanic ancestor inside the bowels of Castle Grayskull.

Just something about all of this and how his wife became the first sorceress just sits so right with me. Really what it boils down to is our personal preferences. I respect all aspects of MOTU but make my origin of choice...KING GRAYSKULL. lol