Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Skeletor and not Hordak?

Heroic Warrior

Why Skeletor and not Hordak?

"BIO
    She-Ra - Galactic Protector
    Real Name - Adora of the House of Randor

After years of fighting the Space Mutants and Horde Empire, the Protectors drew a truce with Skeletor to stop Horde Prime once and for all. After He-Man and Skeletor were blasted by Prime’s vortex beam, She-Ra was left alone against his might. Calling upon the Honor of Grayskull, She-Ra sapped magiks from Prime’s armor, ending the spell that prolonged his and all Horde members extended lifespans. In an exception to her policy to protect life, Adora smote Prime’s body against his own thorne, forever ending the threat of the Horde empire! But in doing so, Prime’s evil soul lashed out at her, binding itself to her armor. Overwhelmed by darkness, She-Ra once again became Despara, the evil warrior-queen persona she originally created under Shadow Weaver’s spells. Unleashed again, Despara resurrected Skeletor and helped bring about the Fall of Eternia!"

In reading She-Ra's NA Bio why didn't she bring back Hordak instead of Skeletor? If She is now "the evil warrior-queen persona she originally created under Shadow Weaver’s spells." It would only make sense for her to bring back Hordak.

Was Hordak to much for her, did she think she could control Skeletor easier?

*clears throat*

Keep reading the bios!

*I have always wanted to do that*
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I think he's dead at that point.

Heroic Warrior
    I guess you haven't seen the Funny or Die video with She-Ra (Kylie Minogue) and Skeletor? It reveals their incestuous love affair, which probably explains why Despara would bring Skeletor back to life!

Skeletor is the main villain and takes precedence over Hordak and King Hsss. Hordak will always be #2 behind Skeletor. There is no MOTU franchise without He-Man and Skeletor, but motu can get along just fine without Hordak.

So She-ra was good for like 5 years of her life and evil the rest? Doh.

Well,it might just be a matter of logistics. Skeletor's tomb is easier to find. Where is Hordak buried? Is he even buried or did his body dissolve into nothingness? Was it taken by the Horde somewhere? Was it even really a physical body at that point, or was he more machine?

Then again, why not both? It might just be tougher to resurrect Hordak. Maybe she's working towards that too? Maybe she needs Skeletor to help do it?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    Skeletor is the main villain and a pop culture icon. Even people who have never watched He-Man or liked it still know of He-Man and Skeletor. Hordak is and always will be just some other guy they invented later.

The following are assumptions based on the MOTUC Canon:

Hordak died on the Second Ultimate Battleground at the hands of Terror Claws Skeletor. (Hordak's life force was seemingly drained BY Skeletor.)
    Hordak's final dying action was trying to Kill Skeletor with a chest buzz saw. The wounded Skeletor absorbs the Techno virus from Bionatios and becomes NA Skeletor. Now Keldor has: Demo-Man's Power + Hordak's Power + the Techno Virus Power.

I think the NA She-Ra bio states that by Killing Horde Prime, Adora killed all the Hordesmen who were enhanced by the Horde's experiments. (No more 5000 year Hordespeople like Catra, Grizzlor, Mantenna, etc.)

so, the remaining super powerful evil being is now Skeletor. Especially after he gained contact with the Power of the Universe at Trolla.

He-Man was able to purge the evil power out of Keldor and then Keldor dies. He is later buried and all that.

We must remember that Keldor's body was able to withstand the Power of Demo-Man, Hordak, Techno Virus AND The Power of the Universe. If there is ONE PERFECT HOST to have a power that rivals the Power of Grayskull, it's Keldor's Body. The return of Skeletor is just to give the host of evil a proper evil face.

Crazy Theory time: Perhaps the notion that Despara is reviving the One man who was able to beat Hordak, absorb his power AND remain in control of himself is the last Good Deed Adora has done before being completely corrupted by Evil (blegh!) If Keldor was able to control ALL that power perhaps in his lust for power he'll go after Despara and take her (horde) power as his own and purge her from evil. Or Derpara wants the biggest Baddest dude in the universe to use as her tool for universal conquest.

Then again the simplest answer is most likely Having He-Man without Skeletor is like having Batman without the Joker or Spider-Man without the Green Goblin.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

What I took from GP She-Ra's bio was that all of the remaining Horde lost their powers of immortality when HP died, not that they all instantly died. Now, they must live out their natural lives. That was how I understood it, anyway.

As for why Skeletor and not Hordak? Despara has replaced Hordak and Prime as the leader of the Horde, possessed by the power and evil of Horde Lord. There's no need for her to resurrect Hordak. She IS the Hordak of this chapter. Why would she bring back someone that would challenge her throne?
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Because they didn't intend to make a NA Hordak (thank goodness! I think we have enough Hordaks, LOL).

Scott himself said the bios were simply put together to justify the most figures. Since they planned an NA Skeletor, he was worked in here.

I think it's really as simple as that.

The mention of Despara really makes me hope we see her before the end. One way or another. I mean, they've already shown several 2015 figures that aren't "vintage" or "heavy hitters", so they might as well work her in somewhere. (Though, I still love classic Filmation Horde Captain Adora, too - I wish I was good at customs or I'd give her a try.)

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    Because they didn't intend to make a NA Hordak (thank goodness! I think we have enough Hordaks, LOL).

Scott himself said the bios were simply put together to justify the most figures. Since they planned an NA Skeletor, he was worked in here.

I think it's really as simple as that.
    You are on to something there, but it isn't the NA Skeletor she brings back - it is the new DC version of him with the tusks. It is the first time that incarnation has been used in the MOTUC cannon so I expect this was done to pave the way for this look of Skeletor to get a figure down the line maybe.

In terms of a storyline reason, Despera may need some help defeating He-man, and who better than her uncle?
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I love how the former brand manager single handedly turned She-Ra BACK into a villain.

If her will-power and the power of Grayskull were initially able to destroy the grip of the Horde, and then later, destroy Horde Prime, how is it, exactly, that those powers were suddenly too weak to protect her from the spirit of Prime?

It makes no sense, and the only thing that seems to have mattered was making She-Ra the new Horde Prime. Doesn't matter his we get there, we just need to put her against King He-Man, so he can destroy his sister (it's pretty obvious that that could be where the Fall of Eternia storyline is going).

And that's another thing... Why was the brand manager creating the "Fall of Eternia," instead of exploring the countless story lines that could have been developed to keep that world alive?

It's just bad.
    Last edited by bcrduke; October 27, 2014 at 02:38am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Given Demo-Man had been purged from Keldor (along with the techno-virus, apparently), why was it (DC) Skeletor that was raised from the grave and not Keldor??

The Horde warriors losing their immortality is an even greater leap of comic logic than all the Snake Men dispersing under Orko's spell.

Too many unnecessary deaths!

Mattel could have opened so many doors with the new minis, instead of closing doors and shattering dreams.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    So She-ra was good for like 5 years of her life and evil the rest? Doh.
    Which sadly makes me wonder just how misogynistic the writers of these bios and comics are? The main female lead character gets treated so poorly

This is the main reason why I collect the toys but ignore all the other stuff that goes with it. They wouldn't do to Adam/He-Man what they do to Adora/She-Ra
    "For the honour of Grayskull"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfieldfinder View Post
    Which sadly makes me wonder just how misogynistic the writers of these bios and comics are? The main female lead character gets treated so poorly

This is the main reason why I collect the toys but ignore all the other stuff that goes with it. They wouldn't do to Adam/He-Man what they do to Adora/She-Ra
    Misogynistic? Depends from the point of view. When almost all the Classic MOTU characters have been killed (Mekaneck, Stratos, Man At Arms, Randor, Sorceress, Clawful, Mer-Man, Whiplash, the majority of the NA characters)? The POP gals on the other hand are ALL alive and well. In the DC comic Adam/He-Man has his throat sliced by Adora's hand.

Besides the whole story with Despara i believe will lead to Starburst She-Ra somehow. But i agree that the plot to bring Despara back this way, is dreadful and one of worst ideas i' ve heard for the MOTU franchise.
    Last edited by granamyr80; October 28, 2014 at 09:52am.

Wow that's a lot going on.lol

Is this an official bio? If so, it makes me wonder if the name dropping of Despara would mean we could see a figure.....

This storytelling also give Adora/She-Ra a much more interesting go about than Adam/He-Man. She's multi-faceted while he's hum drum...
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Heroic Warrior
    So He-Man died? I thought he lived to become King He-Man

Heroic Warrior

Lolololololol

You have a point. Sorceress is dead. Marlena is sent to Earth. Teela is put out of the action by making her the New Sorceress, Evil Lyn jumps into the Future to raise her son. She-Ra becomes Despara and looks like she might be killed. The five most important women in the franchise are basically shoved to the sidelines or killed.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    You have a point. Sorceress is dead. Marlena is sent to Earth. Teela is put out of the action by making her the New Sorceress, Evil Lyn jumps into the Future to raise her son. She-Ra becomes Despara and looks like she might be killed. The five most important women in the franchise are basically shoved to the sidelines or killed.
    And on the other side we have:

- Man At Arms: dead
    - King Randor: dead
    - He-Man: retired, replaced by Dare
    - Skeletor: dead
    - Hordak: dead
    - King Hsss: dead
    - Mer-Man: dead
    - Stratos: dead
    - Mekaneck: dead
    - Clawful: dead
    - Wiplash: dead
    - Beastman: suffering from arthritis, replaced by Goat Man
    - Flogg: dead
    - The Horde: dead all of them except the Etherian members, who happen to be all female
    - Snake Men: all dead, Lady Slither on the other hand is still alive and well
    - Unnamed One: dead

Yeah at Mattel they are clearly misogynists!

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    And on the other side we have:

- Man At Arms: dead
    - King Randor: dead
    - He-Man: retired, replaced by Dare
    - Skeletor: dead
    - Hordak: dead
    - King Hsss: dead
    - Mer-Man: dead
    - Stratos: dead
    - Mekaneck: dead
    - Clawful: dead
    - Wiplash: dead
    - Beastman: suffering from arthritis, replaced by Goat Man
    - Flogg: dead
    - The Horde: dead all of them except the Etherian members, who happen to be all female
    - Snake Men: all dead, Lady Slither on the other hand is still alive and well
    - Unnamed One: dead

Yeah at Mattel they are clearly misogynists!
    You missed the point. Yes, there are more male characters dead, but there are still plenty more male characters alive. The FOUR MAIN WOMEN of MOTU are either dead, or taken out to the sidelines.

-Sorceress is dead. The bios killed her before she even got her MOTUC toy.
    -Teela becomes Sorceress and as seen with past Sorceresses she is stuck inside Castle Grayskull. She has been pushed to the sidelines. She can no longer go on adventures with He-Man and the Heroic warriors because she has to stay in Castle Grayskull.
    -Evil Lyn loses her powers (and is no longer useful as a villain) so she goes to the future to raise her son. Removing her powers and Pushing her away from the main story.
    -Queen Marlena is sent to Earth with the Cosmic Key after Randor dies and He-Man returns from Outer Space. This one can easily turn into an incredibly dark story. Marlena: Earth Astronaut, lost in space. Falls in love with an alien, raises a child all the way to manhood, her husband dies and after a couple of decades she returns home... where she has been believed to be dead for over a couple of decades. Marlena is likely to end up homeless, or institutionalized. No one is going to believe her story about He-Man, Skeletor, the Snakemen, etc.

That's BASICALLY 100% of the MOTU Females dead or out of action.
    Meanwhile the MOTU Males (based on the male characters that had a vintage toy not counting beasts, giants, variants or meteorbs) have approximately:
    51% of them as alive.
    4% undead (Scareglow and Skeletor)
    11% as Undefined (Robots or "defeated" but not necessarily dead)
    34% have been declared dead

If we combine the undefined with the dead we only get a 45% of the male characters that are dead or "out of action". That is nowhere NEAR the 100% of the MOTU women being dead or "out of action".

Now, She-Ra's case: She's alive and has a key role as Newest "ultimate evil". He-Man's equal turned into a villain (who revives Skeletor). Adora was a hero from the time she got the sword until she fought Horde Prime. The rest of her life = Evil. The Main Character of PoP is basically a temporary hero.

Now on the Rebellion. How much of the Etherian History we know of thanks to the MOTUC Canon? Very Little. We do know who is "Special friends" with who, Bow's sexual preference(most heterosexual man in the universe), Netossa being into fashion, Glimmer telling everyone she meets that she's a princess, castaspella being a crappy leader because she can be flighty, etc. but no real history aside Light Hope settled in a planet in Despondos. Some time later the Horde came and conquered everything. Something She-Ra, then the Horde and the Rebellion are on Eternia.

The only PoP character who did something cool on a bio was Mermista's decapitating Mer-Man, but on the mini comic (2nd UB) Mermista and Mer-Man are on the same side!

We still don't know who lives or dies on the rebellion (Seems likely that Angella will be the first victim, hinted on Glimmer's bio.)

That's the problem. The bio team basically swept Etheria (and the NA events) under the rug. What little info we get from the other eras (emphasis on PoP in this case) is often wasted on ridiculous things. Instead of learning about their planet and how this group of Freedom fighters are struggling to repel an alien invasion, the bios make them seem like a bunch of schoolgirls more interested in slumber parties, makeovers, etc than saving their planet. Then we have The Four Women of MOTU being pushed aside for "plot reasons". All this combined makes it look like the bio team does have an issue with female characters; which could be interpreted as misogyny.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    You missed the point. Yes, there are more male characters dead, but there are still plenty more male characters alive. The FOUR MAIN WOMEN of MOTU are either dead, or taken out to the sidelines.

-Sorceress is dead. The bios killed her before she even got her MOTUC toy.
    -Teela becomes Sorceress and as seen with past Sorceresses she is stuck inside Castle Grayskull. She has been pushed to the sidelines. She can no longer go on adventures with He-Man and the Heroic warriors because she has to stay in Castle Grayskull.
    -Evil Lyn loses her powers (and is no longer useful as a villain) so she goes to the future to raise her son. Removing her powers and Pushing her away from the main story.
    -Queen Marlena is sent to Earth with the Cosmic Key after Randor dies and He-Man returns from Outer Space. This one can easily turn into an incredibly dark story. Marlena: Earth Astronaut, lost in space. Falls in love with an alien, raises a child all the way to manhood, her husband dies and after a couple of decades she returns home... where she has been believed to be dead for over a couple of decades. Marlena is likely to end up homeless, or institutionalized. No one is going to believe her story about He-Man, Skeletor, the Snakemen, etc.

That's BASICALLY 100% of the MOTU Females dead or out of action.
    Meanwhile the MOTU Males (based on the male characters that had a vintage toy not counting beasts, giants, variants or meteorbs) have approximately:
    51% of them as alive.
    4% undead (Scareglow and Skeletor)
    11% as Undefined (Robots or "defeated" but not necessarily dead)
    34% have been declared dead

If we combine the undefined with the dead we only get a 45% of the male characters that are dead or "out of action". That is nowhere NEAR the 100% of the MOTU women being dead or "out of action".

Now, She-Ra's case: She's alive and has a key role as Newest "ultimate evil". He-Man's equal turned into a villain (who revives Skeletor). Adora was a hero from the time she got the sword until she fought Horde Prime. The rest of her life = Evil. The Main Character of PoP is basically a temporary hero.

Now on the Rebellion. How much of the Etherian History we know of thanks to the MOTUC Canon? Very Little. We do know who is "Special friends" with who, Bow's sexual preference(most heterosexual man in the universe), Netossa being into fashion, Glimmer telling everyone she meets that she's a princess, castaspella being a crappy leader because she can be flighty, etc. but no real history aside Light Hope settled in a planet in Despondos. Some time later the Horde came and conquered everything. Something She-Ra, then the Horde and the Rebellion are on Eternia.

The only PoP character who did something cool on a bio was Mermista's decapitating Mer-Man, but on the mini comic (2nd UB) Mermista and Mer-Man are on the same side!

We still don't know who lives or dies on the rebellion (Seems likely that Angella will be the first victim, hinted on Glimmer's bio.)

That's the problem. The bio team basically swept Etheria (and the NA events) under the rug. What little info we get from the other eras (emphasis on PoP in this case) is often wasted on ridiculous things. Instead of learning about their planet and how this group of Freedom fighters are struggling to repel an alien invasion, the bios make them seem like a bunch of schoolgirls more interested in slumber parties, makeovers, etc than saving their planet. Then we have The Four Women of MOTU being pushed aside for "plot reasons". All this combined makes it look like the bio team does have an issue with female characters; which could be interpreted as misogyny.
    The Sorceress and Randor have died.

The Heroic Warriors actually have lost three of their founding members. Man At Arms, Stratos and Mekaneck have died. All three of them historical characters of the franchise. What was left of the Heroic Wariors are basically Laser-Lot, Spector and perhaps Ram-Man.

The Evil Warriors have been reduced in even worst shape. I mean when a C-lister like Jitsu became their leader, there is nothing else to be said, for what actually remained of them.

The Horde doesn't exist anymore. The Snake Men have been destroyed. The New Adventures characters they don't even appear in the mini comics (with the exception Hydron and Flipshot in two panels).

All the MOTU factions have been literally decimated. The Rebels on the other hand, is the only faction that didn't have any casualties with the exception of Angella perhaps. Yes their bios are mishandled and they are awfull, but this can be said for any other MOTUC bio that has been pubblished so far, with a few exceptions. I mean it's not that the Heroic Warriors's bios gave more information about them, than what we already know. And no one of them did something "cool" during the SUB, except Champ Clamp tearing poor Duncan apart. But this is a result of how bad written the bios and the mini comics are, not because of misogynism from Mattel's part. I mean what Mattel supposed to do? Kill every male character in the franchise. Because we are close to that. From the most important male characters only He-Man have been left (Skeletor is basically a zombie and doesn't count) and i have a feeling that even him is not going to survive the "Fall of Eternia".

And each heroic MOTU faction have been freedom fighters at a certain point. The Heroic Warriors for example when Skeletor became ruler of Eternia they were forced to live like hunted animals below Eternia's surface, and later they had to deal with both the Horde and the Snake Men paying a high price, with a lot of casualties and sacrifices. The same happened with the Galactic Protectors when Skeletor conquered Primus, or later during their war against the Horde Empire.

Now for the individual bios, as i said before i completely agree that turning She-Ra to Despara again and having her fight against her brother is absolutely garbage.

Sorceress dying unfortunately, was about to happen anyway, since it was already told that Teela will eventually take her place.

Teela on the other hand i don't believe that she remained confined inside Grayskull's walls. Actually she was the strategic mastermind behind the SUB. She was the one that send He-Man to the past and she found the way to deal with the Snake Men. And when the Battle begun she threw away her cloak and joined the others and she defeated her archenemy Evil-Lyn. Also when the Twins gone she remained alone to defend Eternia as a real Warrior Goddess. And at the end she became Queen of Eternia.

Evil Lyn was depowered, but she is NOT dead, and since is a witch probably will regain her powers somehow.

Marlena returned to Earth, but also she is not dead. She easily can return and future writers can use her.

But personally i don't see something so misogynistic in their cases, with the exception of Despara's story perhaps. Bad writing bios and stories certainly they are. And i would like to end saying this. There are some double standards when it comes at this subject. I mean Mer-Man being decapitated is considered cool, but She-Ra turning to Despara misogyny? If He-Man get killed by Despara, that would be cool too?
    Last edited by granamyr80; October 28, 2014 at 09:51pm.