Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Sub Announcements: New Subscription Limit in Effect and "Kowlometer" unveiled.

2015 Sub Announcements: New Subscription Limit in Effect and "Kowlometer" unveiled.

The description for the 2015 Subscription sale was posted on MattyCollector today. It includes the following previously unknown announcement:

"this year subscriptions are limited to a set number, and once we hit that amount, that’s it… no more subscriptions will be sold."

I'm not really sure the reasoning behind this. Perhaps too many people canceling their subs by not renewing credit cards? In addition to that they announced a "Kowlometer" which will be updated twice a week to display the current sales progress. Also, if you order a sub before SDCC you will receive a free set of figure stands. Here is a link to the announcements:

http://news.mattycollector.com/blog/...ons-available/
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Willing to bet it's because they've set a strict production limit on everything and there's going to be VERY little DOS for 2015.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

They beg for subs......and then limit the number they sell don't get their business model. They just make more money for the secondary sellers.
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Netossa, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Shokotti, Castle Grayskull, Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, Filmation hordak, horde trooper(s), sky high, Kevin kosse heads

It's a sales tactic. Get your subs before they're gone!

Quote Originally Posted by JSteele View Post
    They beg for subs......and then limit the number they sell don't get their business model. They just make more money for the secondary sellers.
    I suppose the sales tactic may to be increase initial orders by large resellers.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Well, it's a new marketing tactic.

If subs do close before the "set limit" on August 18th, people who wanted a sub and had to wait for whatever reason (likely financial), things will get real ugly. I don't see this ending well. Either we hit the "set limit" early and some/many people are angry being left out. Or we don't hit the "sub minimum", and everyone is angry the line ends prematurely.

Happy summer sub time!
    Support Crystal Moonbeam in MOTUC - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nbeam-in-MOTUC!

I am personally fine with this year's subscription plan.

* Too many collectors waited until the last minute in previous years to subscribe.
    * Mattel needs guaranteed sales, especially with the apparent financial trouble they are in. There is too much risk involved.
    * No doubt too many collectors bailed on their commitments to previous subscriptions, resulting in an unplanned loss of revenue for the company.
    * Mattel needed new ways to "sweeten the pot" and incentive us to subscribe. The display stand, limited number of subscriptions, and early availability will no doubt help.
    * Meeting the subscription goal would go a long way to helping Mattel decide to take the risk on a new set of re-branded Classics figures for us to consider purchasing.
    * After this many years, subscribers know how much money they needed to save up. Not subscribing early enough because of financial reasons shouldn't be a big factor in the 2015 sub's sales performance.
    Last edited by AdultCollector; June 23, 2014 at 11:00pm.

It's $25.00 dollars...

My reasons aren't $ but I at least like to know Q1 figures first.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Heroic Warrior
    Which display stands? I'm guessing the regular clear ovals, since they don't specify...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I suppose the sales tactic may to be increase initial orders by large resellers.
    This! BBTS and others that may typically wait til the last minute, or order in waves (order a few, see how their preorder sells, order a few more, lather, rinse repeat), are either going to bow out or order early. Hopefully the latter... It also means last minute sub drives to match subs won't be likely either.

It really makes me wonder if they saw the same thing with subs this year (and last, maybe?) that they saw with Castle Grayskull... A lot of people with suddenly "bad credit cards." This is a way to ensure they get real sales number forecasts for the year instead of a dwindling locked-in subscriber base over the course of the year.

Wow! Mattel goes even further in alienating the customers. If the subs "sell out" before the SDCC reveals, I will be beyond words

Fans should have the right to see at least a little bit of what they are getting before subscribing.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post
    Which display stands? I'm guessing the regular clear ovals, since they don't specify...
    I'm thinking the tiered sets, but it could be the Grayskull or Snake Mountain stands. Maybe it's a "random" pack of whatever they have on hand... But my guess is it's one of the MOTUC sets, not something unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post
    I was guessing the new ones maybe to get them in the hands of lots of people to entourage more sales. Who knows though, they certainly have had several different types throughout the years.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I am personally fine with this year's subscription plan.

* Too many collectors waited until the last minute in previous years to subscribe.
    * Mattel needs guaranteed sales, especially with the apparent financial trouble they are in. There is too much risk involved, especially now.
    * No doubt too many collectors bailed on their commitments to previous subscriptions, resulting in an unplanned loss of revenue for the company.
    * Mattel needed new ways to "sweeten the pot" and incentive us to subscribe. The display stand, limited number of subscriptions, and early availability will no doubt help.
    * Meeting the subscription goal would go a long way to helping Mattel decide to take the risk on a new set of re-branded Classics figures for us to consider purchasing.
    * After this many years, subscribers know how much money they needed to save up for this. Not subscribing early enough because of financial reasons shouldn't be a big factor in the 2015 sub's sales performance.
    Give me a break.

* Too many collectors waited until the last minute in previous years to subscribe - Yeah, how dare they buy their subs at any point during the sub sale period. I mean HOW DARE THEY?
    * Mattel needs guaranteed sales, especially with the apparent financial trouble they are in. There is too much risk involved, especially now. - You mean, like the sales from the sub? Like in the past?
    * No doubt too many collectors bailed on their commitments to previous subscriptions, resulting in an unplanned loss of revenue for the company. - And this heavy handed tactic stops this how?
    * Mattel needed new ways to "sweeten the pot" and incentive us to subscribe. The display stand, limited number of subscriptions, and early availability will no doubt help. Wow. A free stand. Whoopee!
    * After this many years, subscribers know how much money they needed to save up for this. Not subscribing early enough because of financial reasons shouldn't be a big factor in the 2015 sub's sales performance. Really? How much does the 2015 sub cost?

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Give me a break.

* Too many collectors waited until the last minute in previous years to subscribe - Yeah, how dare they buy their subs at any point during the sub sale period. I mean HOW DARE THEY?
    * Mattel needs guaranteed sales, especially with the apparent financial trouble they are in. There is too much risk involved, especially now. - You mean, like the sales from the sub? Like in the past?
    * No doubt too many collectors bailed on their commitments to previous subscriptions, resulting in an unplanned loss of revenue for the company. - And this heavy handed tactic stops this how?
    * Mattel needed new ways to "sweeten the pot" and incentive us to subscribe. The display stand, limited number of subscriptions, and early availability will no doubt help. Wow. A free stand. Whoopee!
    * After this many years, subscribers know how much money they needed to save up for this. Not subscribing early enough because of financial reasons shouldn't be a big factor in the 2015 sub's sales performance. Really? How much does the 2015 sub cost?
    Exactly!

I fail to see how a sub from a limited number is more guaranteed than one from an open sub. If people want out, those cards will fail next year just as they did any other year.

I just don't see it. There's no way that I can see to look at it except Matty coming up with yet another scare tactic. It's a new check in the "reasons NOT to sub" list for me.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Heroic Warrior
    Oh well I'll just subscribe earlier than I would have? I usually wait just because I can not because I need to see what is coming, also I may only drop 1 sub and not the 2 I planned on dropping from this year?

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Just saw this.

One the one hand, a free set of anything is nice. It would be nice though if they said what kind. Grayskull stands? Sweet. Stackable stands...Um...well...ok thanks?

This feels like a brand new fear marketing tactic though. Get a sub, and fast! This is from the company that said that a 2 day sellout on the Wind Raider was disappointing (and I have never heard that explained in any way that made sense. Or more likely an attempt to coverup a mistake made in pricing the Wind Raider for maximum profit).

Now we can have 2 minute sellouts on subs! Yay! How much fun! Remember when a perk of getting the sub was to NOT have to worry about Digital River's system and sellouts?

A friend of mine suggested this, and I think it is a good point. What do you think the figure prices will be for 2015? Scott had originally said $1-$2 on a episode of Roast Gooble I believe, but now I fear they will be revealed to be $30 a piece. And if they are, what are you going to waste precious time complaining? They could sell out at any moment!!!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I have no clue what they are doing any more, to be honest. But I'll be getting the one sub I planned to get in any case.

Widget
    So how much will shipping be on the stands? I think there's room for another incentive there: "Sub early or else we'll include a free set of wall stands in your order"

I foresee this as a scare tactic, get people riled up because they missed out...and then have them reopen them with a flurry of people that "missed out"

TG said No DOS. Tiered stands are the give away.

No biggie.

I was going to sub anyways. We already know who's coming any way. I personally don't understand the whole "I gotta see it before I sub" thinking this year.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Also "When subscriptions become available on 6/27, we’ll have all the details except the name of the club-exclusive figure; we always reveal it along with the first quarter figures at our Mattypalooza Fan Panel at San Diego Comic-Con"

What details? Prices and # of figures I guess? They aren't going to reveal any figure names, that's for sure.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    No biggie.

I was going to sub anyways. We already know who's coming any way. I personally don't understand the whole "I gotta see it before I sub" thinking this year.
    The sub exclusive was gonna decide it for me but now the no DOS did.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    TG said No DOS. Tiered stands are the give away.
    Link? This is a big one.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.