Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #7 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #7 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Words by: Dan Abnett
    Art by: Rafael Kayanan

A new adventure begins here! With Eternia still occupied by the Horde, He-Man and King Randor lead a small group of Masters on a quest to find the one object that might free Eternia! Join new writer Dan Abnett as he takes He-Man and the Masters of the Universe into their next great chapter!

As it seemed like common knowledge among fans, the Issue #7 of the Ongoing confirms that events in "DC UNIVERSE VS MOTU" take place between the two story-arcs (#1-6 & #7-12).

You can get a copy at your local comic-store or check out online-places such as comixology!

Just read it and really enjoyed it.

Great start to Dan's run, this is the type writing i was hoping for when DC anouced the book. seems dan with sorcress story arc is going to be fixing some damaged done by other writers too. very happy right now

I stopped by to pick up my comics last night and almost had an heart attack when the clerk handed me issues 6, 7 and the first DC-crossover at the same time. Too much MOTU-goodiness!

I enjoyed everyone of them. The Crossover was sent off into a brilliant start, though I'm not going to go more deeply into that in this thread. The issue seven in itself set off the new story-arc in a great way. Grizzlor was so well written, and it is awesome to see King Randor in his full glory (though at an desperate hour). Zodac. Omg. Faints! Soooooo, awesome. Loved the details. The stars. And the cliffhanger! This is evolving into a very nice direction.

I am so, so very happy with this new DC-comic series!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Good thing that you started the new comic discussion thread while I was at work last night, Jukka!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Dan Abnett nailed it !!! This is how MOTU dialogue should be written: epic and grandiose instead of juvenile and self-mocking.

The art, on the other hand, looks very unfinished. As preliminary drawings they are excellent, but I expected a bit more from Kayanan, since he's such a highly skilled artist.

In any case, I'm genuinely excited for the MOTU comic once more ... well, at least for the next 5 issues. No doubt Giffen will muck everything up again.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Very pleased with this issue. This is how a MOTU comic should be like! Loved the writing of Grizzlor & Randor.

Please DC, stay with this direction!

Chewer of Trollans
    I've got to disagree with what I'm reading on the forum this morning. I usually really like Abnett's work, and this is fine in the abstract, but it still doesn't feel like Masters of the Universe. I mean, it had a few good beats. He-Man showing up. Zodac showing up. Grizzlor as not an idiot. But the setting was a bland, muddy blur. The art in general was an inky mess. I had a sense of some quality art just under what was there.
    But in a whole comic, only Randor and Grizzlor get any characterization. Stratos, Moss Man, Teela, Evil-Lyn... Who are these people?
    I have been bearing with it, waiting for Abnett to come on board. Now I have to say, I'm out.

Heroic Warrior
    I liked it. The art seemed a bit off to me, but I imagine I will get used to it. I really do like the story and the continuation of the Horde invasion. The DC solicits for issue #10 did spoil that the quest was to bring back the Sorceress, but that info just came out 2 days ago, so it's not a big deal. It was nice to see Zodac and Moss Man too.

I liked the story. The drawings didn't bother me too much, but even in a comic, I tend to pay more attention to the writing and only mind the pictures if they get in the way of the story.

Without too much He-Man in this issue, it reminded me of the earlier single issue stories - in a good way. This issue is about Randor's tactics, and not just "another part of a larger story"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Good story, but I didn't enjoy the art zoomed in on the DC app. However, if you view the whole page, it is much better.
    Hey Matty, finish my Battle Ram, please!

The art work was absolutley horrid but the story was brilliant and it was good to see Grizzlor acting as a general and not a mindless buffoon need to see more of this from the underling characters.

I realy want to see how the forces of snake mountain are fairing in the horde invasion

Widget
    What was on Grizzlor's back?

A trophy from the fright zone ...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    • No "Terrible Teela" here. Here, she is greatly toned down. We get a break!
    • The speech is leaps and bounds better...all except for the "Yeah" from Teela.
    • I like that Grizzlor has a warrior's honor, even to the point that Hordak has to sway him from using the Orbital Disruptor. I think this kinda fits in with his 200X design, where he is this skilled hunter. This is probably the best characterization that he's ever gotten.
    • I don't like the idea of Stridor being non-unique.
    • Ugh, the art is terrible...better story and writing so far, but the art has taken a nose dive.
    • I love that they are trying to resurrect the Sorceress.

Can't wait to hear from Scriptor.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Court Magician
    Dan Abnettt is a fantastic writer and this could be MOTU's shining moment. Can't wait to see how he treats the other characters.

I liked the story.

I could like the art, but it had trouble with human characters, mostly with Teela and He-man especially (faces especially).. More monster like creatures worked better like Grizzlor or Horde Troopers.

I can understand different artists, but it is interesting how the choose vastly different styles per issue. I hope the team stays consistent however, constant changes seem to hurt the comic the most.

There seemed to be Evil-Lyn in one panel, but then she just vanished which was a bit illogical.

I thought the issue was alright. Dialogue for the most part was pretty good I thought, though not perfect. The art I thought is a bit wonky. Not really my cup of tea. It's too scribbly with a wonky looking face here and there. Plus it was overwhelmingly dark I thought. I know it's a Horde invasion, but that doesn't mean that everything has to be drawn dark throughout. You could have scenes in the day time also. Though saying that I think the opening couple of pages were the strongest point of the art with Randor giving his speech and one page later on where Randor says "Deploy the Fifth".

Nice seeing Stridor I thought. I'm not so fussed that he's not unique as such, but I think it would have helped in giving him more importance. Plus I don't think the art style did much service to him. I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't notice it was Stridor.

I liked seeing Grizzlor (less so the even more silly real names returning). I enjoyed seeing him portrayed as a prideful tactician/hunter, but I didn't always feel the dialogue really painted a clear story of what was going on or at least what was said wasn't exactly evident with what was shown.

Also the comic clearly skips ahead to after the DC/MOTU crossover. No spoilers as such, but with that separate comic going for a good number of issues I can't help but wonder what impact it will have on the ongoing and how it will deal with that without spoiling things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I agree MGM. I really liked the story & the characterization of Grizzlor & a more in deph Randor. As for Stridor I was hoping he was also unique. Hoping the the other mechanical horses were at least a different color thereby Stridor standing out above them. But a minor issue I guess.

Widget
    LOVED it! Dan Abnett is thoroughly enjoyable! Continuing the goodness from where Keith Giffen left off!

I liked the story and where it's heading, however the art, the inking and the coloring were a big mess to enjoy!... It seems that DC are getting lazier and lazier with the MOTU's art department! Just give it to some competent artists who have the time and more passion dedicated to this brand...

>Axel Gimenez, where are you bro?<
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

The art in this issue really really turned me off I hated it and in return it made me like the issue less.

I liked the story, the art on the other hand...

And... Well, also I don't know if this overly dramatic tone is so much better than the previous tone choice. I mean we have a pathos-laden battle speech that seems to be cobbled up from every cliche that is out there. And the final speech? Is it meant as satire? I mean Randor is basically... a LARGE HAM...

For those who do not like the art in issue 7, you will only have to endure it for 1 more issue then Michael O'Hare will be taking over the art duties for the next 4 issue. Also for those who like DC MOTU or those who are starting to like it check of DC New 52 He-Man and The Masters of the Universe page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DC-Ne...ref=ts&fref=ts

I haven't commented here in quite some time, and I'm not a HUGE comics fan (at least not in the last 20 years) so I'm not one to check who's writing what. However, I am very happy to hear the writer has changed for this comic. I was unhappy with quite a bit in the last few issues, and judging by some of the above comments, it looks like I'm going to be pleased with the new guy.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I enjoyed the issue, it looks like we’re being set up for an EPIC adventure, excited to see where this goes.

• The dialog felt a little over the top at times (perhaps because we’ve become accustomed to the more casual/modern Giffen-speak) but I liked the tone.
    • No soft way to say it, I did not care for the art at all. Looks rushed and unfinished. Hopefully this will change.
    • I REALLY, REALLY like the characterization of Grizzlor, the giant beast w/sub human intelligence is a tired, weak ploy. Placing a witty, tactical genius in the monstrous body is a great twist. I truly love his redesign, he’s a Horde General after all, not likely that with all the tech at their disposal, they’d have a leader running around in his underwear and a utility belt. The armor suits his characterization as does the “trophy” on his back.
    • Not exactly happy that the DC crossover is in canon but, at least it’s a contained arc that is wrapped up and we get to come back to Eternia and move on.
    • The Stridors and Monstroids are a great touch as is the Attack Trak Randor is riding. I appreciate what the creative team is doing with the Easter Eggs and nods to the toys without being blatant toy commercials like some of the 80’s era MOTU and GI Joe issues were. **I happen to agree with MGM that I prefer Stridor as an individual but I don’t see a problem with Stridor being one of (the most sentient?) Mechano-Horse**
    • He calls himself ZodaC but the illustration makes him look more like ZodaK….. See attached. Perhaps in the DC canon Zodac perished at the hands of Hordak and his essence come back as Zodak?

Zodac or Zodak.PNG
    Last edited by 80's Enthusiast; October 16, 2013 at 07:41pm.