Thread: MotU in the style of GI Joe Collector's Club?

MotU in the style of GI Joe Collector's Club?

I'll confess I know very little about the way the GI Joe Collector's Club is run. However, I do know that they reuse a lot of the bodies, accessories, etc. of a lot of their figures and often include a new head via a third party sculptor and then charge a premium price for a subscription.

If classics ends up being over in all ways, shapes, and forms, would this type of thing be a viable alternative?

How does GI Joe swing it with legal issues, access to the molds, etc?
    Last edited by Pollex Christi; Yesterday at 03:59pm.

I feel with parts re-use it's already close enough to GI Joe collectors club.

If you mean do we want new characters with old bodies and parts? Sure, and that's why some very talented artists are making new unique heads and additions to this line.

But in an official capacity we already got the parts reuse. There's no way to go even more basic. But I'm in love with the 3rd party accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollex Christi View Post
    I'll confess I know very little about the way the GI Joe Collector's Club is run. However, I do know that they reuse a lot of the bodies, accessories, etc. of a lot of their figures and often include a new head via a third party sculptor and then charge a premium price for a subscription.

If classics ends up being over in all ways, shapes, and forms, would this type of thing be a viable alternative?

A little background for those who might not know...
    The GIJCC is run by a small number of dedicated staff/GI Joe fans. They organize, plan, and run Joecon every year, as well as producing the Joecon exclusives. Most recently, they started the GIJCC Figure Subscription Service (FSS) that produces waves of 13 figures. You can buy a subscription at ~$25/figure (depending on shipping, insurance, etc) or buy individuals from the GIJCC online store for $37.50 (if you're a GIJCC member).

Hasbro has given the GIJCC permission to make the FSS and Joecon figures, so they are officially licensed.

Hasbro authorizes the characters they are allowed to produce. That leads to a lot of situations where fans complain "why are we getting X Army Builder at Joecon, instead of Y Army Builder??? Y is much more popular! Everyone wants Y!" Only to have Hasbro announce that 'Y Army Builder' is already in production to be sold at retail. Hasbro is known to give the GIJCC permission to do figures that Hasbro doesn't think would make good retail offerings, which works well for hardcore collectors, who otherwise wouldn't get many of the figures GIJCC has produced. Hasbro makes their molds available, although it is not clear that GIJCC has the entire parts library at their disposal.

GIJCC fronts the cost of new tooling for FSS and Joecon offerings. That is why it is common to see Joecon box sets feature themed sub-team variants of figures (Python Patrol, Tiger Force, Night Force). That way GIJCC can make use of the same figure/tooling twice - either the sub-team variant or vintage deco is in a Joecon box set, the other deco in the FSS. Since sub-teams are very popular in GI Joe, this works well.

GIJCC also fronts the cost of sculpting, card art, packaging, warehousing, and shipping.

I wondered this myself in light of JVS3's comments on needing toy exclusives for Power-Con. The first question is if Mattel would be interested in allowing a fan club line to exist. If so, I'm sure a team of He-Man fans would emerge to take a shot at the project.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I feel with parts re-use it's already close enough to GI Joe collectors club.

If you mean do we want new characters with old bodies and parts? Sure, and that's why some very talented artists are making new unique heads and additions to this line.

But in an official capacity we already got the parts reuse. There's no way to go even more basic.
    The Club gets a bad rap for parts reuse, but I think it's largely overblown - especially in comparison to the parts reuse by Mattel and Hasbro. It's unreasonable to expect GIJCC to roll out 13 figures with substantial new tooling every year. And much like MOTU/C, the vintage figures reused parts, so it's difficult to make faithful modern interpretations without parts reuse.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    There's no way to go even more basic.
    Sure there is. GI Joe has a 'basic assortment' of figures that are sold at Dollar General for 60% of the cost of the standard retail GI Joe line. MOTUC could follow in that path, although not as a retail line of course. You could make an assortment of figures made entirely from the existing parts library (probably mostly humanoid characters to minimize the amount of material used). Sell them in generic packaging, rather than packaging with character art and a nameplate (or skip the packaging altogether and ship them poly-bagged). Minimize the accessories and paint apps (character selection would be key here to making figures that would still look acceptable).

I don't know if people would buy it, but it could certainly be done.
    Last edited by ksensor; Yesterday at 05:45pm.

Something like Fuerza-T Classics would rock.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Something like Fuerza-T Classics would rock.
    It would be so cool if the Four Horsemen would do something like this via Kickstarter (similar to their new Raven line...)

Scott Neitlich will never let his grubby paws off the line while he is employed at Mattel, unless someone is willing to do all the work and give him all the credit.

The Powercon get a convention figure? Hell, you can't even buy a shirt from He-Man Org - good luck with that.

Mattel has it in their minds that they ALLOW fan forums.
    HAVES: MOSS MAN, ADORA, Mantenna, King Randor
    WANTS: Webstor
    Toyguru Collector Supreme posted December 12, 2013 "Can't understand what you are asking. Sorry."
    Toyguru Marketing Manager Mattel posted March 16, 2014 "Every great project from toys to movie and a TV usually need a fan base to support it and an "internal champion" that keeps it going through the system."

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    A little background for those who might not know...
    Thanks! I was one who didn't quite know and this is just what I was looking for.

While on one hand I like the opportunity to purchase awesome custom heads (and sometimes more!) through customizers, to buy limited amounts through a Facebook page, ebay, etc. seems cumbersome, especially along with having to then track down and integrate a body for it, sometime painting it myself, creates an end product that isn't as polished as I might like (mostly due to my own poor custom skills). The GI Joe custom club is producing some awesome works. Their relationship with Hasbro is fascinating.

I'm not a completist when it comes to GI Joes (I have a core team I like, but then prefer army building), the Masters line seems (at least for me) more conducive for character building. I love the odd characters like Vykor, Strobo, Goatman, etc., which, in truth, worked with few new parts.

Heroic Warrior
    Great idea, and I would be all for it- more Classics one way or the other!

AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I'd want to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Sure there is. GI Joe has a 'basic assortment' of figures that are sold at Dollar General for 60% of the cost of the standard retail GI Joe line. MOTUC could follow in that path, although not as a retail line of course. You could make an assortment of figures made entirely from the existing parts library (probably mostly humanoid characters to minimize the amount of material used). Sell them in generic packaging, rather than packaging with character art and a nameplate (or skip the packaging altogether and ship them poly-bagged). Minimize the accessories and paint apps (character selection would be key here to making figures that would still look acceptable).

I don't know if people would buy it, but it could certainly be done.
    OH no, you missed my point. New characters using what we already have? I already agreed that would be cool. I even brought up that people are already in the community who are making severly awesome original stuff. To your point I totally think the fandom could do this. Point in fact they are already. Just not in an offical or group effort capacity.

So would i like to see Mattel officially allow people to do what they already do, and in a group agreed effort? certainly. But why do we need that? They are already doing amazing work, and frankly at what seems like would be the same kind of price issues GI Joe club has.

I'm saying that what people want are characters that they didnt get and that they probably want them to be done as if they were fully MOTUC characters, and I dont know that I see that being possible in this model. If they want original created content, or extra fan created bits, we already got that.

Perhaps I'm wrong or alone. But I've followed a bunch of that GI Joe stuff and the price for what you get, though absolutely understandable...nah. It's frankly insane.

I think it is very awesome, and cool to think of a Masters Club where you get 6 figures in a pack that are all Gar Warriors vs Club Special King Miro Figure for what extrapolating from the GI Club would cost something like 300 bucks. But I wouldnt (nay couldnt) buy it.

I'm happy getting heads and conversion kits ect. I would love these customizers to get some sort of official support.

Beyond letting them do what they do and not pursuing litigation as it stands now, I dont see it. If the line as great as it is now at the price it is now with as little issues as it is now cannot be a shoe in beyond 2015, I dont see hyper expensive fan created figures getting some kinda crazy support beyond what these guys get now.

Point is: I support the idea in concept. However I feel Masters already has an amazing set of fan creators providing much the same thing already, and better frankly. For actual MOTU characters it's 4H. Fans can make new unique things like they are.
    Last edited by baronterror; Today at 05:07am.