Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky-High & Sky Sled Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    awesome, he's a great figure, and I believe will be in demand. Of course I cant see people wanting just him and not the awesome sled, but hey, maybe. And he may be a great base for customizing.

But he's just tops.
    I will have 5 of these figures loose for sale in Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'll bet that the sales of the Sky Sled will determine if we get more vehicles. This might be our final chance to show Mattel that we want vehicles, let alone the rear of the Battle Ram!
    I'll be buying one of these for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Hmmmmm... I have mixed feelings about Geldor, Sky High and the Sky Sled...

The figures (Geldor and Sky High) are VERY SIMPLE DESIGNS (with MANY reused parts).
    Geldor has a lot of new parts, new armor, boots head & briefs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Wait!?? There are not enough slots for Huntara and Masque but we get another FFM guy with one of the most wanted vehicles!!! I thought we'd had enough of those concept art characters?!!

Such a lame way to push fans into buying a figure!
    I wanted Sky High personally, and thought they should have released him over Sherrilyn. Technically he completes the Foe Men though, and no more concepts after 2013 is what was meant.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    does it not say holiday item fall of 2014? I mean it does, right on the card. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I love the sled. It's beautiful, and I new it would be. I just never thought I'd be getting one.

And Sky HIgh? I'm actually more exicited for him than the sled. I'm very happy to get it. But he's what I want more, since when we got the foe men, I was hurting he wasnt there. I knew he had to be.

And he's pefect. I knew he'd be the best one of them all, and now he is.

This set is just a suprise blessing, & I be thankful.

That sounded too religious. Ugh. Point is, I am excite.
    It says 2013 Holiday in the pic I am looking at....but fall 2014 on the bottom???? Do they not know, or did they screw up?

And I too actually wanted Sky High, and his colors look awesome as they are....just....Trap Jaw boots again? I can live with the thighs, I like the thighs, but damn....the boots?
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Sky High looks awesome. Incredible details, perfectly sculpted. I wonder if the helmet is/can be made removable or if at least a face is sculpted underneath. Totally dig this figure and canīt wait to put him into my Wind Raider #3.

Iīll definetly get 2 sets. One MIB, one lose. Not sure what to do with a spare Sky High figure, so Iīll propably not buy a third box. Unless the price is LOWER than $45. I can deal with some custom fodder to get another Sky Sled - which I will forever call exactly this: Sky Sled. Not Jet Sled. That was a totally different vehicle.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Sky High looks awesome. Incredible details, perfectly sculpted. I wonder if the helmet is/can be made removable or if at least a face is sculpted underneath. Totally dig this figure and canīt wait to put him into my Wind Raider #3.

Iīll definetly get 2 sets. One MIB, one lose. Not sure what to do with a spare Sky High figure, so Iīll propably not buy a third box. Unless the price is LOWER than $45. I can deal with some custom fodder to get another Sky Sled - which I will forever call exactly this: Sky Sled. Not Jet Sled. That was a totally different vehicle.
    It was, wasn't it?

It's clearly the Sky Sled....Scott and company screwed up. I don't know if I'll get two or not....I would like too, because I'll be opening one for sure, but I don't know....I may just leave the one MISB and on display them that way.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Wow did they really use your bio word for word??
    Where did you see a Bio?

Sorry I thought I was looking at an official pic on Facebook but it was just a pic of Joe's custom
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    It is not a bad idea in itself, but they way it's been implemented in this pack is nothing short of appalling.

You cannot pair a highly-demanded first-wave-vintage army-builder vehicle with an obscure non-army-builder "concept" character (who, on top of that, is the pilot of some other vehicle), because the latter will hugely negatively affect the marketability of the whole pack, deterring many customers who would potentially have bought many multiples of the Sky Sled had it been released on its own, but who won't buy multiples of this pack to be left sitting on half a dozen unwanted extra Sky Highs (which won't be that easy to resell, since the market will get flooded with them, and since they will be open figures even if in mint condition, so the asking price will necessarily have to be rather low).

The Sky Sled on its own, paired with another Sky Sled in "evil" greenish colors, or paired with an appropriate army-builder figure (such as the highly-demanded Robot Knights) would have been a great choice expected to perform up to or above expectations. But a Sky Sled paired with Sky High is doomed to flop from the get-go, and with it any chance of getting the back part of the Battle Ram or any other future vehicles (and there are so many of them that we're lacking).

This. Mattel seems to be ineptly sabotaging their own products.
    You hit the nail on the head.

Grrr!!!! Mattel (TG) makes me so angry sometimes! Why gamble just to sell a figure as a pack in? They think that people will swallow the line about buying more Wind Raiders to make future vehicles will carry over to this.
    You know the new excuse is coming - "Buy more Sky Sldes and we'll make the full Battle Ram!" The screwjob is we just added a figure so we could line our pockets more. Why do they have to do this every single time? Why do they always have to spoil the fun.
    I want Sky High. I think he's great. But as a pack in with a vehicle he doesn't even belong to? That's just ridiculous.

Way to go in gambling on a loosing bet.
    I think the amount of people who will army build the Sled just slumped big time, amd the true figure of people "voting with their wallet" about new vehicles just got massively skewed.
    If the pack in was an army builder figure, imagine how many extra they could/ would have sold.
    Yes, that solution is absolutely obvious to anyone apart from Scotty and his cronies.
    Sometimes I think they do crap like this to spite us, and use it as ammunition to cover their previous and future failures in projected sales.

I think its a cool pack. And you could see it as this being the uniform of the Eternian Air Force... the chest logo looks like it could be removable ala the Foe Men

Also check this out, the name Sky-High dates back as far as 2009 suggested by fan Freak Studio on It's All True.net

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Just about anything with this line seems to insight anger and hatred towards Scott, how about we wait to see what gets revealed at Mattypalooza about this pack before we call him and Mattel every name under the sun. For all we know the sky sled may be getting released separately next year, if not by all means express your anger and let Mattel know what you want but surely at least wait to find out exactly what they've got planned before going off the deep end.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    It says 2013 Holiday in the pic I am looking at....but fall 2014 on the bottom???? Do they not know, or did they screw up?
    Yeah, that is really confusing but if we are not going to get any further concept characters in 2014, it has me thinking that this is the 4th quarter item for this year.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

I'm guessing this is the preorder that was hinted at on mattycollector. If it hits the sale numbers it will go into production and be released in Fall of 2014. This is the vehicle preorder that a number of fans have been clammoring for. So open your wallets if you want to get another vehicle made (aka the Battle Ram). I have a feeling that that's just the way it is.

I wish it didn't have a figure because I'd be going for 8-10 without it. But with the figure I'll still probably order 4-5. I'll just have a buttload of extra Sky High's to swap heads and armor and use Spymonkey's weapons for.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    It's clearly the Sky Sled....Scott and company screwed up.
    I'd prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they wanted to call it the Sky Sled, but were unable to, because "Sky Sled" is a trademarked name held by a company called X Concepts, for a kite or toys related to kites. I looked it up. So they had to use a name that was available.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

And Sky High was okay?

Positivity, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    And Sky High was okay?
    So it would seem, yeah. If you look up that trademark, you'll find a considerable list of "Sky High" trademarks, for fireworks, skateboard stuff, tobacco, trampolines, so forth.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel443 View Post
    Just about anything with this line seems to insight anger and hatred towards Scott, how about we wait to see what gets revealed at Mattypalooza about this pack before we call him and Mattel every name under the sun. For all we know the sky sled may be getting released separately next year, if not by all means express your anger and let Mattel know what you want but surely at least wait to find out exactly what they've got planned before going off the deep end.
    this is the internet, who's slogan is "If it's not perfectly the way I want it, it SUCKS!!!!"

I am pretty open about my anger towards Scott's failings, but I will always readily admit and give him credit for the good stuff he's done too. This instance I put at 50/50, most of us wanted the sky sleds at the least (though I think a full battleram is more wanted) and many of us want several skysleds, I think a LOT of us are all concepted out at this point though. I'm not mad at this pack in, but it's inconvenient to have this instead of having army builder sleds, I guess if this set proves popular that door can open. anyway, I won't chalk this up to a failure for scott myself, I will just say it's a bit of a miscalculation, but possibly on the side of caution given that his bosses may be shy at doing a vehicle on it's own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Hmmmmm... I have mixed feelings about Geldor, Sky High and the Sky Sled...

The figures (Geldor and Sky High) are VERY SIMPLE DESIGNS (with MANY reused parts). On the other hand, they look nice. I like the ancient greek soldier (hoplite) vibe we get from Sky High's helmet (looks almost like a corinthian helmet)... Smart choice for cheap figures, I'd say.

The Sky Sled looks awesome (the detail that kills : the painted eyes on the beastly head of the Sky Sled). I hope we'll get the whole Battle Ram later, though... Also, Sky High doesn't seem to be the one who needs a Sky Sled, since he has his own flight pack !

I rather like the vehicle + action figure idea... now, the biggest question is : how much will my reseller ask for this (and NO, there's no way I'll buy a sub ! Too many bad services and issues with that option) ?

I think I'll buy Geldor, PROVIDED he doesn't have flaws or articulation problems.

Sky-High and the Sky Sled : will depend on the money I can spend, but I'm not against it.

On a side note : I've officially had enough of these Trap-Jaw legs ! PLEASE use something a bit different, good-looking and more orginal, now!
    looking at MKantenna has softened me a bit on some of the more plaiun figures, I figure the budget saved on them went to all the new tooling that Mantenna got - his thin frame also gives us the possibility of a proper framed lizard man.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Looks great. I've wanted that pilot for a while, and I also wanted the sky sled. They both look great, and I'm pleased as ever.

Looks like the snap-on wings can double as a weapon/shield:

Positivity, folks!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    It is not a bad idea in itself, but they way it's been implemented in this pack is nothing short of appalling.

You cannot pair a highly-demanded first-wave-vintage army-builder vehicle with an obscure non-army-builder "concept" character (who, on top of that, is the pilot of some other vehicle), because the latter will hugely negatively affect the marketability of the whole pack, deterring many customers who would potentially have bought many multiples of the Sky Sled had it been released on its own, but who won't buy multiples of this pack to be left sitting on half a dozen unwanted extra Sky Highs (which won't be that easy to resell, since the market will get flooded with them, and since they will be open figures even if in mint condition, so the asking price will necessarily have to be rather low).
    I don't buy the argument that Sky High isn't an army builder; he has a helmet that completely covers his head and is completely generic. I see no name tag on the uniform or anything else that makes him anything other than a generic guard in a flight suit, no different than having two of the Royal Guard figures with the same head (and I've got loads of spare heads if I wanted to have one of them holding the helmet in his hands). The 2002 cartoon set a clear precedent that not all the guards wear the same uniforms, depending on their functions. This figure can easily be seen as the standard flight suit for Eternian forces.

I feel like Nixon going to China again saying this, but in this case I think Mattel made a rational decision. The Wind Raider as a single, pilotless vehicle did not, for whatever reasons, sell to their expectations, so it's only logical that they would try a slightly different approach this time. And the idea of a vehicle with an associated figure is a long proven model of selling vehicles (how many Joe vehicles haven't come with a driver over the years?), so that seems a reasonable option. Let's face it, TG and company had to do something to convince the folks with the checkbook to try another vehicle after the first did not do as well as they wanted, and simply saying, "Let's just try another one" was not going to cut it. It also likely spread the tooling costs out on this item; a sled by itself re-uses nothing and the price could have been almost as much as the two-pack will be under those circumstances (we were told all new tooling was one of the reasons for Rammy's higher price tag in addition to his size). Doing the figure using a lot of existing parts spreads the new tooling cost out over two items, balancing things a bit. It's also the only way from this point on to finish the pilots, and there are still folks out there who actually like those figures (me included).

Honestly, if they hadn't done it this way, I have serious doubts they would have been able to do it at all.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    According to Matty news on Mattycollector, Sky High and the Jet Sled are coming out this fall. It doesn't seem like it is the rumored pre-order item, but I could be wrong. Just one more day to find out for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I don't buy the argument that Sky High isn't an army builder; he has a helmet that completely covers his head and is completely generic. I see no name tag on the uniform or anything else that makes him anything other than a generic guard in a flight suit, no different than having two of the Royal Guard figures with the same head (and I've got loads of spare heads if I wanted to have one of them holding the helmet in his hands). The 2002 cartoon set a clear precedent that not all the guards wear the same uniforms, depending on their functions. This figure can easily be seen as the standard flight suit for Eternian forces.

I feel like Nixon going to China again saying this, but in this case I think Mattel made a rational decision. The Wind Raider as a single, pilotless vehicle did not, for whatever reasons, sell to their expectations, so it's only logical that they would try a slightly different approach this time. And the idea of a vehicle with an associated figure is a long proven model of selling vehicles (how many Joe vehicles haven't come with a driver over the years?), so that seems a reasonable option. Let's face it, TG and company had to do something to convince the folks with the checkbook to try another vehicle after the first did not do as well as they wanted, and simply saying, "Let's just try another one" was not going to cut it. It also likely spread the tooling costs out on this item; a sled by itself re-uses nothing and the price could have been almost as much as the two-pack will be under those circumstances (we were told all new tooling was one of the reasons for Rammy's higher price tag in addition to his size). Doing the figure using a lot of existing parts spreads the new tooling cost out over two items, balancing things a bit. It's also the only way from this point on to finish the pilots, and there are still folks out there who actually like those figures (me included).

Honestly, if they hadn't done it this way, I have serious doubts they would have been able to do it at all.

I agree. Had they made Sky High some kind of limited release within one hour, these same people complaining would be foaming at the mouth about how "they weren't able to get their favorite figure!". Not an army builder? Did you not have a single Gi Joe as a kid? All it takes to be an army builder is a helmet. He has no face. Therefore he's basically the easiest army builder in MOTUC. Deep breaths people. Deep breaths.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

I hadn't considered using him as an army builder until now (pretty cool idea though) but you make great points and I totally agree that if they hadn't done it this way we probably would never have got either the vehcile or the figure.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    According to Matty news on Mattycollector, Sky High and the Jet Sled are coming out this fall. It doesn't seem like it is the rumored pre-order item, but I could be wrong. Just one more day to find out for sure!
    As an aside, I'm pretty sure the pre-order item folks were talking about is the full sized Adam West utility belt or the Ghostbusters prop touted on the Matty site.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Sign me up for one, though I would have bought three if it wasn't packed with a figure. The figure will add too much additional cost.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

I love it! These are awesome! I am going to buy several of these and display the Jet Sleds with both my good and evil warriors. My extra sky Highs will go in my Wind Raiders. My Sky High force will be the bomb!

I am still not sure on Geldor? I was never a huge fan. I will have to wait and see.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, MYP Evilseed, Queen Angela, Lodar & Hunga the Harpy

Quote Originally Posted by victoryleo19 View Post
    I agree. Had they made Sky High some kind of limited release within one hour, these same people complaining would be foaming at the mouth about how "they weren't able to get their favorite figure!". Not an army builder? Did you not have a single Gi Joe as a kid? All it takes to be an army builder is a helmet. He has no face. Therefore he's basically the easiest army builder in MOTUC. Deep breaths people. Deep breaths.
    I personally never owned a GI Joe figure, not as a kid nor an adult. I WAS going to change that with a few hot toys releases, but that Roadblock looks TERRIBLE and I didn't want Snake Eyes alone. but thats a whole different kettle of fish.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure