Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 200x King Hsss in MOTUC Speculation/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The thing is, some fans are perfectly happy with the King Hiss figure as it is. I wouldn't want to deny them that.

So, as long the rest of us eventually get a 200X Hiss variant with an alternate snake form that can be swapped with the current one, I can live with the existing King Hiss figure.
    But we are not wanting to deny fans anything - we want to deliver for them a much better, improved, more fearsome snake-body for their King Hiss.

I bet those fans who are perfectly happy with the current wimpy snake-body would be still very pleased if an enhanced sculpt was made (even if they would be too embarrassed to thank us for lobbying for it).

Its like people originally were very happy with black and white TV but now that we have colour folk would not go back. That's how it is with wimpy snake-body Hiss.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

we already got a decent King Hsss coming. don't need to waste tooling on another. case closed. lock 'er down.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawful View Post
    we already got a decent King Hsss coming. don't need to waste tooling on another. case closed. lock 'er down.
    I'm gonna ask you the same thing MGM asked in the Adam thread, would you feel that way if we got 200X Hsss first?
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    A simple explanation would be to use the 80's outfit as Hsss's armor he wore prior to gaining power. When he achieved his success he created a royal look (the 200X outfit).

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    After seeing the MOTUC release, a lot of people were upset there were no 200X elements, whilst others took it as hope that we get a full 200X MOTUC Hsss someday (as MGM pointed out, he was the only leader never to get a variant)

I was thinking of a way to include 200X Hsss, and thought what if the 200X look was his preternia look?

The reason behind the two could be like this:-

After being trapped in the Void by the Elders, King Hsss immediately started plotting for when he would escape. Knowing that the humans would now be ruling, he decided to shed his evil looking human form for a more heroic looking one, with which he could fool the people of Eternia, and therefore lead them into a false sense of security before revealing his true form!
    I like it!

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawful View Post
    Agreed! And besides how many times does TG or Mattel have to say the 200x line is over!?

Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    Agreed! And besides how many times does TG or Mattel have to say the 200x line is over!?
    When they stop making 200x parts for oh let's say Whiplash. Which I think is far better than the Classic one.

ToyGuru said we could get other versions of the characters whos designs were different in the 200x line compared to the vintage line.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    I'm gonna ask you the same thing MGM asked in the Adam thread, would you feel that way if we got 200X Hsss first?
    Excellent point.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    It has been said many times that we could get variant figures where characters have received distinctly different looks in the past, for example, between vintage and 200x interpretations. Randor, Evil Lyn, Prince Adam and Sorceress have been specifically mentioned as possibilities to receive 200x-based variants. Man-At-Arms and Whiplash have featured both vintage and 200x style heads.

King Hiss is a very likely character worthy of a 200x variant because both his 200x and vintage looks differ so markedly. And fortunately, with King Hiss, the difference in looks can easily be explained (in a canon sense) by his ability to camouflage himself with a human skin.

As a faction leader, King Hiss certainly qualifies as a character justifying a variant.

And when we consider the absolute need to issue a fixed snake-body, the case for a 200x variant King Hiss is IMO very compelling.

Now That King Hiss Is Here...

I must admit, even though I'm not a fan of the vintage King Hiss, I still think this new fig looks great. Certainly better than the 200X fig (the mold, not the design).

However, while I will probably get this latest fig, I'm still holding hope that they will produce a 200X version for MOTUC.

For me, the 200X version was far more "royal" (or should I say regal), and the ancient look worked well with the ancient aspects of the story. For the life of me, I don't understand why King Hiss wore boots and gloves 5 centuries(?) ago, especially when nobody else during that time wore any such attire (with the exception of Tytus?)...

Anyways, who else is holding out for a revised 200X version?
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, She-Ra, and Catra all had variants. I would love it if He-Ro and King Hiss joined the "A-listers with variants" front. I'd love a pre-transformed Gray and a 200X royal, less "espionage serial killer" King Hsss variants.

If you at the 2 versions next to each other you could probably get it done by giving him the chiefs loin cloth and maybe bows forarms. The rest is deco. Maybe a new head, but just painting the helmet gold would get you very close.

Im all down for an a-list 200x version of king hiss. Its not like theres a whole lot else that can be done with the snake half. Hate to see that mold used only once.

Heroic Warrior
    So far, there's absolutely no certainty we'll even get a 200x full variant, at least in the near future.

200x Evil Lyn was much spoken about, but we still didn't see her, and it's doubtful we'll see her in 2011.

So personally, I'm not sure that 200x variants of characters are a real possibility. That remains to be seen. On the day the 1st 200x variant of a figure is released, I'll change my opinion. Until then, 200X variants are something I don't really count as something sure. It's just a probability. I guess we might get Snake Teela, though (obvious reuse of the old mold)... and of course, we might still get classicized 200x unique characters like Evilseed, Prahvus, the 3 evil giants, some of Randor's council members, etc.
    Last edited by Prahvus; February 20, 2011 at 05:08am.

We better be getting a 200x version of King Hiss with a fixed snake body because the snake body on the figure we are getting next month is hopeless.

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Aaargh!
    I totally hated the 200x version, it really impoverished the character.
    He had a comical look to his face (looked like the evil egiptian architect from the Asterix cartoon!), no extra cool superhero mask, no gloves hising his long,dirty fingernails and, oh supreme, lovecraftian horror, he was wearing sandals! C'mon, serious evil guys need nazi like boots, get over this sandal thing!
    Also they made him pretty stupid in the toon, essentially a mad glutton whose thinking organ was the stomach. Naah, give me old hiss everyday.
    Should they come up with a more 200x version...well, i buy at least one of everything, so i'd get him, but not in multiples like i'm getting this classic version. Hope that, if they eventually get to producing one, they'll at least base his face on the current figure, rather than the umbearably comical look of the toon.
    Note that in the MVC 200x comics we had a more acceptable 200x Hiss. It was still very much based on that design, but had a far less comical look about him, and his visage was more correctly proportioned (no big jutting mandible deformity, for one).

Heroic Warrior
    We better be getting a 200x version of King Hiss with a fixed snake body because the snake body on the figure we are getting next month is hopeless.
    Was there any confirmation by Mattel or Toyguru that if we got a 200X King Hssss (a pretty big "if", if you ask me), the snake torso would be improved ?
    And if so, improved in what way ?

What other figure can use those sandals? That'd be the real challenge I think, making him from parts that can be reused. I dare say they can use the same human torso as classic Hssss, just painted differently.

I'd love to see a 200X inspired King Hiss. I imagine he'd be more regal looking in the past when fighting Grayskull, and then in the present take on the more friendly looking, vintage appearance, posing as a good guy until the right time to reveal himself.
    Last edited by Minion; February 20, 2011 at 08:25am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm down with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor/Skeletor73 View Post
    Aaargh!
    He had a comical look to his face (looked like the evil egiptian architect from the Asterix cartoon!), no extra cool superhero mask, no gloves hising his long,dirty fingernails and, oh supreme, lovecraftian horror, he was wearing sandals! C'mon, serious evil guys need nazi like boots, get over this sandal thing!
    The vintage King Hssss had a power that only worked once--a heroic disguise. As soon as he's used it, the element of surprise is over. After one use, he's no longer fooling anyone. 200X didn't even try to pass King Hssss' human skin off as a disguise. As far as the sandals, the guy is an Egyptian wizard, a modern RPG staple. Even Garn from Filmation wore sandals.

If anything we need more women characters with sandals.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Was there any confirmation by Mattel or Toyguru that if we got a 200X King Hssss (a pretty big "if", if you ask me), the snake torso would be improved ? And if so, improved in what way ?
    The fans want 200X King Hssss to come with the Earl Norem snakes.

Thicker, more vicious looking open mouthed lesser snakes. Asymmetrical. And snakes with no wabbit teeth. Sort of like a hydra. The MOTUC Hssss snakes are modeled after the vintage figure's configuration, rather than taking advantage of the fact that the snakes no longer have to conform to fit inside of a human upper torso.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    What other figure can use those sandals? That'd be the real challenge I think, making him from parts that can be reused. I dare say they can use the same human torso as classic Hssss, just painted differently.
    I think a bunch of figures are coming up with parts that won't be re-used, like Mantenna or Ram Man.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 20, 2011 at 08:52am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm happy with Hssss--I'm not as much a fan of the 200X Hssss---but I do hope we get a 200X version, if only so the people who wanted one get one (and stop bagging on the vintage version...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    If you at the 2 versions next to each other you could probably get it done by giving him the chiefs loin cloth and maybe bows forarms. The rest is deco. Maybe a new head, but just painting the helmet gold would get you very close.
    Actually, that's not accurate. The 200X head is a Pharoah's crown, as opposed to the ridged "helmet" type that the current (vintage) version has. There is also no mask on the 200X version.

Also the bodies are totally different: the 200X has scales on the body, as opposed to the same ridges on the vintage version. The hands are also different: 200X has bare hands with claws, while the vintage has gloves on.

And finally the 200X version has Roman-Style sandals, while the vintage has boots on.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor/Skeletor73 View Post
    Aaargh!
    Yeah, a "Snake King" wearing boots, gloves, and a mask.... Are we talking about MOTU, or the Hamburgular??

Also they made him pretty stupid in the toon, essentially a mad glutton whose thinking organ was the stomach. Naah, give me old hiss everyday.
    As opposed to the vintage, which did.... What exactly? Nothing of any notable value. 200X Hiss actually conquered Eternia for a significant amount of time. He became a major power faction in the history of Eternia.

Of course he ate people, that's what snakes do. Besides, that concept hadn't really been portrayed before, especially in USA cartoons. That gave him a feeling of actually being a deadly villain, and a force to be reckoned with. He actually killed people and ate them.

The vintage version was basically just one more bungling villain, only this time, he was just a master of disguise. How deadly.

Should they come up with a more 200x version...well, i buy at least one of everything, so i'd get him, but not in multiples like i'm getting this classic version. Hope that, if they eventually get to producing one, they'll at least base his face on the current figure, rather than the umbearably comical look of the toon .
    That's cool, we're all entitled to our preferences.

Note that in the MVC 200x comics we had a more acceptable 200x Hiss. It was still very much based on that design, but had a far less comical look about him, and his visage was more correctly proportioned (no big jutting mandible deformity, for one).
    That's just a difference in how the artists portrayed him, not an actual flaw in character design.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm down with this.

The vintage King Hssss had a power that only worked once--a heroic disguise. As soon as he's used it, the element of surprise is over. After one use, he's no longer fooling anyone. 200X didn't even try to pass King Hssss' human skin off as a disguise. As far as the sandals, the guy is an Egyptian wizard, a modern RPG staple. Even Garn from Filmation wore sandals.

If anything we need more women characters with sandals.

http://i29.tinypic.com/wh5j7.jpg

Thicker, more vicious looking open mouthed lesser snakes. Asymmetrical. And snakes with no wabbit teeth. Sort of like a hydra. The MOTUC Hssss snakes are modeled after the vintage figure's configuration, rather than taking advantage of the fact that the snakes no longer have to conform to fit inside of a human upper torso.

I think a bunch of figures are coming up with parts that won't be re-used, like Mantenna or Ram Man.
    All of this, quoted for truth.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; February 20, 2011 at 02:52pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Heroic Warrior

I hear you, Megagearmax, and I'm totally with you on this one.

NEVERTHELESS, the fact that "fans want" this to happen doesn't necessarily mean it's actually going to happen. Just like fans want a more 200x inspired head for Roboto, Buzz-Off or Clawful, but don't have any (yet)...

So that's why I was asking if we got any Mattel/Toyguru comment on this particular "200x Hssss with improved snake/hydra" proposal...

Toyguru has already mentioned "200X King Hssss" as a possible Quarterly Variant down the line. That's a quote.

Plus, Carnivus is wearing 200X Hssss's loincloth...

As for the sandals? Give them to Demo-Man or something... or to a Fighting Foe Man (if they ever make any)... or to the Horde Mummy
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Villain in training warrenpeace2012's Avatar
    The way I see it is this. By taking away the 200x heads or any aspect of 200x doesn't equal money. In fact, Mattel might lose money from the hardcore 200x fans. Not really a signifigant amount that would do any damage but still, a loss of profit. Making 200x variants, there's profit to made and like every other figure, they'll sell out. Why else would the line be extended another year? It certainly isn't because of the Filmation rights.
    Don't mess up TWO-BADD! That's all I ask!

And behold, I will be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die. I shall reign in 2012 for my conquest is nigh.

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru has already mentioned "200X King Hssss" as a possible Quarterly Variant down the line. That's a quote.
    Good. At least we know 200X-inspired Hssss is a possibility (just like 200x Evil Lyn, who is not scheduled yet).

What about an improved snake/hydra part ? Did Toyguru comment on this being a possibility too ?