Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 200x King Hsss in MOTUC Speculation/Discussion Thread

Evil Lord Of Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post

Yeah, a "Snake King" wearing boots, gloves, and a mask.... Are we talking about MOTU, or the Hamburgular??
    Still better than a snake king wearing SANDALS!!!!
    Bet his (adoptive) father was a carpenter...or a roman named minchius maximus, most likely.
    In the vintage comics, i agree, Hiss did'nt do much, except looking cool and leading his people to conquest. Oh wait, he also worked alongside Skeletor, plotting to betray him whenever was possible. Much better than another independentist hothead, we already have too much evil factions and, while we know from Optik's bio that hordak will eventually be defeated, we have no guarantee that the horde empire as a whole will soon be absorbed into everyone's favoured villain's empire. So no, no independent snakes, please.
    I agree the comics portrayal of the 200x version, much less comical then the cartoon one, is due to the artist's skills rather than the design itself.
    Not so sure about the helmet thing, though. You say its a faraon's headgear, i think its still supposed to be some kind of helmet. I used to cut it about 1/2 cm from its "lower tips" and paint it green on the 200x figure. With a painted mask he looked pretty much like the vintage hisss...well, a vintage hisss with a bulging mandible and a funny nose. Dont think it was supposed to be a hat, just a leather like helmet, most likely. Of course only the designers know this 4 sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Good. At least we know 200X-inspired Hssss is a possibility (just like 200x Evil Lyn, who is not scheduled yet).

What about an improved snake/hydra part ? Did Toyguru comment on this being a possibility too ?

No I would bet that whatever variant we get will come with a red version of his staff (like 200X), a new head with the Pharaoh-motif, and a re-paint of Carnivus's loincloth.

maybe we will get the sandals too, since there wouldn't be much tooling required for the figure aside from the new head.

Of course, it would be awesome to get a new, more menacing, stronger-looking Hydra piece, but I bet they won't even include the regular one.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    No I would bet that whatever variant we get will come with a red version of his staff (like 200X), a new head with the Pharaoh-motif, and a re-paint of Carnivus's loincloth.

Of course, it would be awesome to get a new, more menacing, stronger-looking Hydra piece, but I bet they won't even include the regular one.
    That really sucks ! But it's so Mattel...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenpeace2012 View Post
    The way I see it is this. By taking away the 200x heads or any aspect of 200x doesn't equal money. In fact, Mattel might lose money from the hardcore 200x fans. Not really a signifigant amount that would do any damage but still, a loss of profit. Making 200x variants, there's profit to made and like every other figure, they'll sell out. Why else would the line be extended another year? It certainly isn't because of the Filmation rights.
    Okay, this is all conjecture on my part:

When Mattel exhausts many of the A-list characters, what are they going to do? I think they will probably utilize the Classicized 200X variants to keep the line going with the fans who want to keep collecting. Amidst the remaining NA and POP characters might be a Classicized 200X He-Man, a Classicized 200X Skeletor, etc that are needed to keep the line going with A-listers. Vintage fans started the line; 200X fans will probably keep the line going after the "vintage-only fans" have largely departed.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Toyguru has already mentioned "200X King Hssss" as a possible Quarterly Variant down the line. That's a quote.
    I need to find it and add it to the 200X King Hssss section of the MOTUC Index as an entry. It's a quick way to find any past mention of it.

As for the sandals? Give them to Demo-Man or something... or to a Fighting Foe Man (if they ever make any)... or to the Horde Mummy
    Maybe the Sandals can be used for Egyptian Garn or maybe a villager pak.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 20, 2011 at 05:34pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

However, while I will probably get this latest fig, I'm still holding hope that they will produce a 200X version for MOTUC.
    He has a great design, but I only want him if they make him Vikor's cousin. They can't have two figures that look so different be the same person now, can they?

I am all for a 200X King Hsss. That is by far my favorite design of him! I hope they just get the snakes right next time...
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Heroic Warrior
    The Earl Norem snake torso is superior to theMOTUC one.

Add 2 or 3 more snakes and he will look more impressive.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Just as I think the "200x in MOTUC" debate is slowly dying down...

I guess if folks want it, they have a right to their opinion. But personally, I'd be pretty annoyed if we got too many "200x versions" (overlooking how much they do/don't fit into what the line is about) in place of more requested "first release" characters.

...sorry, did that sound too harsh?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post

Why would you think something like that? You KNOW Toyguru asked us to keep the faith for 200X headed variants. You also KNOW that 200X variants that are different from the originals are coming.

I guess if folks want it, they have a right to their opinion. But personally, I'd be pretty annoyed if we got too many "200x versions" (overlooking how much they do/don't fit into what the line is about) in place of more requested "first release" characters.
    Space, these variants are going to be quarterly figures, not the regular monthly slots reserved for new characters. So unless, you're really worried about Hook 'Em Flogg being held back, you have nothing to worry about.

In this case, we are talking about King Hsss getting a variant, one of the great MOTU leaders. (HOOVE has a variant, but King Hssss doesn't?) With this variant we kill two birds with one stone: we'll hopefully get a better snake form AND we get a 200X Hssss variant.

...sorry, did that sound too harsh?
    No, it sounded misinformed. We're trying to fix problems and address fan demand.

Why not enjoy your King Hssss instead of trying to force your version on other fans?

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post

I think it has for the most part. The new "2002 in MOTUC" debate seems to be about whether characters with various distinct looks should be released as new characters or under their original names with an added adjective. Speaking of which...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    He has a great design, but I only want him if they make him Vikor's cousin. They can't have two figures that look so different be the same person now, can they? http://talk.wwwomen.com/images/smilies/shhh.gif

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The vintage King Hssss had a power that only worked once--a heroic disguise. As soon as he's used it, the element of surprise is over. After one use, he's no longer fooling anyone. 200X didn't even try to pass King Hssss' human skin off as a disguise. As far as the sandals, the guy is an Egyptian wizard, a modern RPG staple. Even Garn from Filmation wore sandals.
    Imo, you're thinking about his mini-comic appearance too much. It was one story. His MOTUC bio said nothing about him pretending to be a good guy. I'm assuming his human look is used the same way for MOTUC as it was in 2002. It's just that one looks like a supervillain and the other looks like an Egyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The fans want 200X King Hssss to come with the Earl Norem snakes.

http://i29.tinypic.com/wh5j7.jpg

Thicker, more vicious looking open mouthed lesser snakes. Asymmetrical. And snakes with no wabbit teeth. Sort of like a hydra. The MOTUC Hssss snakes are modeled after the vintage figure's configuration, rather than taking advantage of the fact that the snakes no longer have to conform to fit inside of a human upper torso.
    Sorry. That's "vintage" property. This is all you get...

Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; February 20, 2011 at 09:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keldor/Skeletor73 View Post
    Still better than a snake king wearing SANDALS!!!!
    Annnnddd.... How is that "better", exactly? At least the 200X version's sandals fit the rest of his costume. What form or function did the boots, gloves and mask serve?

In the vintage comics, i agree, Hiss did'nt do much, except looking cool and leading his people to conquest.
    As for the "looking cool", that's purely a matter of opinion. Maybe I'm not as well versed in the vintage comics, but when did Hiss and the Snake Men conquer anybody in the old comics?

Oh wait, he also worked alongside Skeletor, plotting to betray him whenever was possible.
    How much sense does a "King" working alongside someone with no rank, only to betray him, make? Why would a "King" need to do any such thing?

Much better than another independentist hothead, we already have too much evil factions and, while we know from Optik's bio that hordak will eventually be defeated, we have no guarantee that the horde empire as a whole will soon be absorbed into everyone's favoured villain's empire. So no, no independent snakes, please.
    Uhmmmm, huh?

I agree the comics portrayal of the 200x version, much less comical then the cartoon one, is due to the artist's skills rather than the design itself.
    Not so sure about the helmet thing, though. You say its a faraon's headgear, i think its still supposed to be some kind of helmet.
    If it's indeed meant to be a mimick of an ancient Pharoah's crown, then it is indeed cloth, and not a helmet. But it's a mute point anyway, because that's merely all a part of his "disguise".

The point being though, is that the vintage version doesn't look like an actual "king". The 200X clearly does.

With the vintage version, they could have just as easily called him "Mr. Hiss", and based on his design, no one would have been the wiser. Nothing about the vintage version says "king". In fact, he looks more like the Cobra Commander of the MOTU.

I used to cut it about 1/2 cm from its "lower tips" and paint it green on the 200x figure. With a painted mask he looked pretty much like the vintage hisss...well, a vintage hisss with a bulging mandible and a funny nose. Dont think it was supposed to be a hat, just a leather like helmet, most likely. Of course only the designers know this 4 sure!
    Everything about King Hiss's 200X motif was Egyptian, from the sandals that you hate so much, to the crown, to the loin cloth, and even the Caduceus staff was worked in (probably used as the design staple).

For the record though, the distorted face that you dislike so much (which I didn't mind), was supposed to be like shedded skin of sorts. If you recall, in the MYP toon, Hiss's mouth opened up to reveal his true snake form. He also stretched his face to devour his enemies/victims. There's no way that the elasticity of his face wouldn't have been stretched or distorted to some extent with all of that going on.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; February 21, 2011 at 01:31am.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

As for the "looking cool", that's purely a matter of opinion. Maybe I'm not as well versed in the vintage comics, but when did Hiss and the Snake Men conquer anybody in the old comics?
    Actually in the original mini-comics, The Snake Men had conquered worlds for their empire, similar to Filmation's Horde.

Here is the Snake Men Mini-Comic "Trilogy":
    King of the Snake Men
    Snake Attack
    Revenge of the Snake Men

How much sense does a "King" working alongside someone with no rank, only to betray him, make? Why would a "King" need to do any such thing?
    Desperation.

In the vintage era, King Hsss was ALOT less fortunate than he was in MYP. The Snake Men weren't the powerhouses that they were in MYP and didn't have the big armies that he did in that cartoon. Hsss only freed two Snake Men at at time. And those 5 guys (and Khan) were it. Because of the vintage Snake Men's lack of resources, they fell in with the Evil Warriors to eliminate a common foe: He-Man.

Evil Lord Of Destruction

Everything about King Hiss's 200X motif was Egyptian, from the sandals that you hate so much, to the crown, to the loin cloth, and even the Caduceus staff was worked in (probably used as the design staple).

For the record though, the distorted face that you dislike so much (which I didn't mind), was supposed to be like shedded skin of sorts. If you recall, in the MYP toon, Hiss's mouth opened up to reveal his true snake form. He also stretched his face to devour his enemies/victims. There's no way that the elasticity of his face wouldn't have been stretched or distorted to some extent with all of that going on.
    Yes, i really cant stand the distorted, comical look of the MYP toon, and, again, let me say that i was amazed by Staples' rendition he had in the comics. Such a poorly thought concept, made so much more acceptable. In the comics he was also a bit more massive, easily fitting in the motu theme, rather than looking like a scrawny, weak man a drunken villager could walk over. As for the headgear, well ok, lets say he looked egyptian (he does not to me, but hey, you seem to care a lot about this issue ), but i suppose faraons went to war too, and had helmets, right? His headgear is far too pointy and organic looking to be cloth, really looks like leather. That's IMHO, of course.

Yes, i really cant stand the distorted, comical look of the MYP toon, and, again, let me say that i was amazed by Staples' rendition he had in the comics. Such a poorly thought concept, made so much more acceptable. In the comics he was also a bit more massive, easily fitting in the motu theme, rather than looking like a scrawny, weak man a drunken villager could walk over. As for the headgear, well ok, lets say he looked egyptian (he does not to me, but hey, you seem to care a lot about this issue ), but i suppose faraons went to war too, and had helmets, right? His headgear is far too pointy and organic looking to be cloth, really looks like leather. That's IMHO, of course.
    200X King Hssss has a Thulsa Doom motif. Thulsa Doom was a Conan villain who was the high priest of an Egyptian snake cult.

As opposed to the vintage, which did.... What exactly? Nothing of any notable value. 200X Hiss actually conquered Eternia for a significant amount of time. He became a major power faction in the history of Eternia.
    That's might be true on USA, but in Europe King Hiss has a lot of stories. Best example is UK comics.. many awesome snake tales.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

I'm not. At all.

But I dont begrudge anyone wanting this.

Though If they do it in a CLassicized form, like other 200x translations, then I'm extra fine with it.

But I have not intrest in it.

I think they should call the 200X version of King Hsss "Second Skin Hsss." Anything to keep him from being called "Battleground Hsss..."
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Would really like a a 200X inspired variant of King Hssss to show his look from Preternia through the 200X series. I see the MOTUC (and vintage) as his current "disguise" look used to fool people as shown in the mini-comic. They may even add a fifth snake head (around his waist) to his hydra form and explain it's loss from the current incarnation.

Maybe call it Preternia King Hssss....
    Last edited by Zargon; February 22, 2011 at 05:09pm.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants Sagitar, Lizard Man, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Ninjor, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue

I would pay for a 200X version of Hiss, but I want these guys first:

Rattlor
    Kobra Khan
    Tongue Lashor
    Squeeze
    Snake Face

To me he could have been "more updated" with thicker Snakes (at least the center one) and maybe they could have made all the snakes with wires built-in. This should allow us to pose them in a way that the character woudn't be so simetrical. Other than this I think that it's just perfect...

I said elsewhere before, I'd buy a 200X-styled King Hiss anytime. To me this version of the King of Snakes is an aged version of the one we'll get on March 15th.

His snake form has never been and will never be as important to me as the human form. The way I see it, the snake torso is a bonus and nothing else and I will display him as human 364 days a year.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I think I'd like to see a few more of the other Snake Men prior to another Hiss, but I think eventually the Pharoah version could make a good quarterly refresh figure.

Yes, i really cant stand the distorted, comical look of the MYP toon, and, again, let me say that i was amazed by Staples' rendition he had in the comics. Such a poorly thought concept, made so much more acceptable. In the comics he was also a bit more massive, easily fitting in the motu theme, rather than looking like a scrawny, weak man a drunken villager could walk over.
    I see what you're saying. I for one though, didn't mind the smaller look, as that was a recurring theme in 200X; to show the distinctions between the characters based on size. Afterall, that's why we have a teen 200X Prince Adam. Even the Evil Warriors and the Snake Men themselves are different sizes from each other.

The "one size fits all" rule for vintage MOTU (and even MOTUC now) has always bugged the heck outta me. But as you said, to each his own.

As for the headgear, well ok, lets say he looked egyptian (he does not to me, but hey, you seem to care a lot about this issue ), but i suppose faraons went to war too, and had helmets, right? His headgear is far too pointy and organic looking to be cloth, really looks like leather. That's IMHO, of course.
    That's actually a good point.

Now that I look at it again, I can definitely see what you are saying with this. It definitely looks more leather-like, especially the part that drapes down around his neck/shoulders. And the top part that actually rests on the head, definitely looks kinda angular. But, in comparing it to ancient Pharoah's crowns, there had to be some aspect of the crown that was "stiff" (most likely metal of some sort; probably gold, considering the ancient motif), otherwise, there would be no way that they could have the Snake and Vulture heads protruding from the crown, if it was mere cloth.

However, there's a possibility that the crown could be just some (mystical?) aspect of his own skin, since it all seems to disappear anyway, when he reveals his true snake form. For all we know, the "crown" could be made of the same material as his "human" face.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I would pay for a 200X version of Hiss, but I want these guys first:

Rattlor
    Kobra Khan
    Tongue Lashor
    Squeeze
    Snake Face
    Absolutely. They need to focus now on the rest of the Snake Men. I can wait (kinda) patiently, for the 200X Hiss. That, and some of the generic 200X Snake Men, for army builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    I said elsewhere before, I'd buy a 200X-styled King Hiss anytime. To me this version of the King of Snakes is an aged version of the one we'll get on March 15th.

His snake form has never been and will never be as important to me as the human form. The way I see it, the snake torso is a bonus and nothing else and I will display him as human 364 days a year.
    See, this is my thought as well!! I'm much more in love with the human Pharoah form, than the snake form. I mean, it's cool that he can transform into a snake and all, but that's not nearly as interesting to me, as his royal form. That's why I'm not really a part of the group that makes such a fuss about his non-detailed snake form.

I'd be totally good, if they offered the 200X version with the same snake form that we have. It's not like I'd be displaying it with that all that often anyway.

If anything, it's a great incentive for fans to buy 2 figures, kinda like Trap Jaw/Kronis.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; February 23, 2011 at 05:50pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar

MOTU Classics 200X King Hiss : Does Anybody Has The Love For Him ???

I know many of you love the vintage version. But the 200X King Hiss has far more sadistic & evil look than the Vintage one !

That "Robin Hood" look on current Hisss makes him kinda "good guy" & "normal" ! Yes... He has that evil smirk. But he is too plain & simple on my eyes. On the other hand, his snake form is impressive !

Personally, I have more respect on the 200X version ! He always looked stronger & superior to He-Man in the 200X cartoon.

Yes, we got "Super Hero (?)" King Hiss.... But I feel 200X version deserves its MOTUC form !!!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    there is probably a thread about this already but I'd be down for that