Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbie in MOTUC General Discussion

Barbie in MOTUC General Discussion

With the MOTUC line picking up steam, crossovers seem inevitable. We are already seeing it in the DC vs MOTU two-packs at Toys 'R Us, but one crossover that seems like a natural has not been discussed yet...

I'm talking of course about Mattel's single most valuable property, a toy franchise that is one of the longest lasting and most well-known in america... Barbie.

Over the decades, Barbie figures have shown up in countless forms of "crossover" editions. Be it as superheroines, real-world people or other thing, Barbie has been all over. So making her into a MOTUC figure would be a brilliant cross-promotion move for Mattel, and one which would require little to no legal finagling.

Some points to discuss or think about:

* How would such a figure look?

* What would her biography be like?

* How would it be distributed (monthly, bonus, exclusive...)?

Let the speculation begin!

If there's a God in Heaven...this will never happen.

I have zero interest in MOTU barbie dolls though of course I dont have to buy them lol so if enough people do want them I dont see the harm.

I think that Teela, Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, and all of the POP characters would lend well to a crossover. But if they try to put the grey harness on and put the power sword in Ken's hand, than god save them. I think they'd have a mass MotU fan coup on their hands.
    Good people to trade with!:
    Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, Zovex (x3), KingKahn, miscus555, Kaijukilla, Gigatron, big_truk_convoy, Andrea the Cat, Bigassbuzz (x2), Dawg88, zodak74 (x2), pistolpete1969, sandrockgundam04, Rexplode, TekkamanSol, Lay Ze-Man, djblizzard, brock_snyder, Spikewolfe, rocky_raccoon, Zordak, npbaity, JeMaBo2,

Just to be clear, we're discussing about a figure representing Barbie in Masters of the Universe Classics.

Barbie toys in costumes from the MOTU franchise are a whole different discussion, more fitting for another forum.

Stay on topic!

If this were to happen, I would singlehandedly organize a mass protest outside the next Toy Fair whereby we treat the entire line as nothing more than disco records and burn ALL our MOTUC toys in effigy!

Heroic Warrior
    She'd most likely be reused parts from teela. Her bio: He-man met her during his visit to earth combining the live action movie with the other mythos. Barbie mistakens He-man for Ken and runs away to eternia with him. She'd most likely be an exclusive at a convetion since only a very few people would be interested. I'd like to see her in a wedding outfit and come in a two pack with Strong-Dar Master of Akom.<--From the simpsons when grandpa was credited for making an itchy and scratchy episode that bart and lisa wrote.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I think of it as a Mo-Larr. You don't have to buy everything released with the MOTU banner, as many of us skipped out on Mo-Larr. I'm not sure if there are barbie cons or something like that, but if Mattel wanted to sell this at a Barbie Con, or even a SDCC or NYCC as a crossover to advertise MOTUC to a bigger market. I doubt there's ever been a "Barbarian Barbie". MOTUC could make that. Plus would it be the first fully articulated Barbie? This could be huge!!

But.. really, all I want is Barbie's Van, so Disco Skeletor can Part-ay!!

discovan

Ok, I was misread your original post to read that they would make Masters characters using Barbies, such as the super heroes and such that you listed. For that thought I think it would be fantastic. I dont foresee me buying a $40+ She-Ra Barbie, but it all depends on how nice it looked and such. And as someone else stated, there are plenty of POP girls that could be done in this fashion, maybe even a Prince Adam or Bow. Now that I understand what was being suggested, I dont think a cross over like this would work. I dont believe there would be any interest or logic in doing a Barbie MOTUC figure. Bar-Bor? I dont see the connection like I do going the other way. Would she be Mo-Larr's hot wife? Come with the Spatula of Power? She would have to fight off the evil Spong-Or of the BobPants clan with her powerful spatula? I cant even imagine what kind of outfit she would wear? Would Bar-Bor be some sort of Master?

This has already happened in the 80's and she's already in MOTUC as we speak. She's called She-Ra.

Well this She-Ra is actually not Barbie like
    Anyhow, I think it's a pretty bad idea for an adult collector's line based on action figures for boys.
    http://decorvo.mybrute.com

Nothing represents more the unexplainable vacuousness of the human race, than the unfounded and arrogant blind faith in the ruthless and narcissistic transcendence of itself.

Wish list; http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=166721

If Mattel are going to do this, they need to improve Barbie's sculpt: maybe make it more like Teela's, but also make her more anatomically correct, because part of the fun of Barbie is dressing and undressing her in different outfits. Since MOTUC is an adult collectors' line, then Barbie should conform to that standard.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    She'd probably would be some kind of Eternian Princess--the Disney Princess-like, girly girl kind. Maybe someone that Adam knows or that He-Man has rescued.

Or she could be a Teela buck with a new head and pink armor and boots. Maybe another goddess in the Eternian pantheon. Or Etherian pantheon.

I'm not against it. Mattel is comfortable enough with the line to have celebrity figures such as Mo-Larr, so that's a good sign that the line is doing that well.

Unfortunately, some or most of the fans have such an anxiety over the line ending prematurely and not getting the characters that they want, so "guest stars" and "humorous figures" would be met with disdain.

Are the fans too uptight or is Mattel too carefree?

Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    If Mattel are going to do this, they need to improve Barbie's sculpt: maybe make it more like Teela's, but also make her more anatomically correct, because part of the fun of Barbie is dressing and undressing her in different outfits. Since MOTUC is an adult collectors' line, then Barbie should conform to that standard.
    ROFLMAO!!!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'd buy a MOTUC Barbie!
    Would there be a MOTUC Ken as well? There HAS to be a Roided out MOTUC Ken.
    They would fit better on Etheria. Barbie's bio could state something about being part of a royal family that was overthrown by the Horde. Heck! Ken could be a Hordesman who changes his ways after meeting Barbie.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

He he. Barba the Barbarian and Kendor.

Heroic Warrior
    Barbie in MOTUC? Why? We already got PoP...

Sorry I thought you ment MOTU barbie dolls. I actually think having the character of barbie in MOTUC is a terrible idea and worse than having MOTU barbie dolls. Im really not interested in any cross overs. MOTUC is for characters from the MOTU world. Even though I dont like the DC crossover packs at least they do make a little sense as DC did some MOTU comics in the past and did a superman crossover making the two worlds in the DC continuity a part of eachother.

And I thought that "Songster in MotUC" was the worst idea yet...

No offense, but some things just don't need to be done IMO.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Reasons why Mattel should make a SHE-RA BARBIE:

1. They already own the rights.

2. The outfit and accessories are virtually the same in cost as any other Barbie.

3. The mothers and dads that connected with She-Ra in the 80's are PARENTS now, and there would be interest in introducing a beloved thing to their daughter.

4. Adult Barbie collectors would love it.

5. The gays would love it.

6. "Barbie as She-Ra" is far, FAR less random than many of the styles and retro nods to all things vintage that have been at retail.

*****Why on earth is there not one of these already?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    This idea is tricky, but Sandman is talking about having a 6-7 inch Barbie completely made of plastic to be part of the MOTUC line (like Teela, She-Ra, etc.). He's not talking about a 12 inch doll with rooted hair.

I think it could be fun. I would like to see her in a warrior outfit/bathing suit kind of thing (ex. Warrior Bikini Teela) and have an attachable skirt to make it a dress so she could be Teela-like or Princess-like (because there ARE a lot of Princesses on Eternia and Etheria).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 7, 2010 at 03:35pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Since Barbie is basically evil incarnate, I'm pretty sure she's actually Horde Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    This idea is tricky, but Sandman is talking about having a 6-7 inch Barbie completely made of plastic to be part of the MOTUC line (like Teela, She-Ra, etc.). He's not talking about a 12 inch doll with rooted hair.

I think it could be fun. I would like to see her in a warrior outfit/bathing suit kind of thing (ex. Warrior Bikini Teela) and have an attachable skirt to make it a dress so she could be Teela-like or Princess-like (because there ARE a lot of Princesses on Eternia and Etheria).
    IMO this idea would not only be tricky but would do more harm than good. I mean considering the
    fact that MOTU is already saturated with warrior women that have yet to be
    realized in plastic form, the last thing this line needs is a gratuitous MOTUC Barbie
    just cause. Mo-Larr was arguably fun enough, but after him they
    should just stick to the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Since Barbie is basically evil incarnate, I'm pretty sure she's actually Horde Prime.
    Last edited by Azrael; August 7, 2010 at 04:04pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

And I tought Mo-Larr was bad... now I know where Mattel comes up with the ideas for the cross overs.
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Just to be clear, we're discussing about a figure representing Barbie in Masters of the Universe Classics.

Barbie toys in costumes from the MOTU franchise are a whole different discussion, more fitting for another forum.

Stay on topic!
    Oh, okay... sorry!

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The original MOTU universe had very little in the way of crossovers. Isn't that one SuperMan/He-Man comic the only real crossover?

Even on Etheria, Barbie as a standalone character stepping onto Etheria is NOT going to work.

I could trot out literally dozens of other silly ideas, but I won't.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I defend Mo-Larr, Meteorbs... even Songster. But Barbie, in MOTUC, please NO. If some pleople is agains Bravestarr (a clear spin-off of MOTU) how can nobody talk about Barbie???

If He-Man and She-ra are in Barbie form is more logical that Barbie in MOTUC form.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove