Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbie in MOTUC General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    I was thinking Marvel Comic's Jungle Barbie.. lol
    LOL @ them trying to make that getup more jungle by giving her bare feet.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    No, not really.

Are we still talking about Barbie? If so, then I would expect and understand
    such a reaction. Mattel can be 80 characters deep and I'm certain many
    will feel the same way.
    But that's nuts. 80 characters and that one figure derails all of that time and energy? One figure negates all of the posts, Mattycollector.com anguish, uncertainty of upcoming figures?

I don't see the interest either, especially in this particular crossover.
    Mo-Larr was enough and DCU is also tolerable, a Barbie crossover however
    is just taking things to the extreme.
    I didn't like Mo-Larr, so I didn't buy him. It's just that easy.

As for a Barbie character, I'd have to see this concept. I could imagine a pretty bad-ass warrior woman, only her main color is Barbie pink.

Speaking of extremes, I think it's time to shut this thread down. We're starting to see the ugly side of fandom here. This thread is living proof of why we have protected threads. Damn...the Black He-Man thread was less hostile and that had race, sex and religion!

MOTUC fans barely like NEW Masters of the Universe characters, let alone crossover characters. Going from this thread alone, few fans are relaxed enough to accept a crossover figure. "Barbie", "Bravestarr", "Adam Eternum" or whomever would be a fun figure that probably wouldn't take up any monthly slots, but folks are going into cardiac arrest over a mere mention.

Oh, and WHEN there is another crossover character and you guys do quit over that, you can send me your Teela's (so I can kitbash the style guide bracelets and boots from the POP figures and give them Teela's) and smiling Prince Adam heads.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Crossovers are killen teh line!
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    The original poster of this thread brought this up as a discussion piece. He's not rallying to get Barbie made ASAP.. but opened up a forum to discuss the pros and cons of a potential one off Barbie figure..

Regardless, this forum should be about what you do or do not think would work with a Barbie MOTUC, and not who is or who is not a douche.

I'm not exactly sure what is being got at hear. A barbie in the MOTU line is something i can't fathom, BUT, a She-Ra in the Barbie line seems to me to be a slam dunk for Mattel, at least from a financial prospective. (other female MOTU characters could work too, Sorceress, Evil Lyn, just about any POP character) (come to think of it, I could even go out on a limb and say i could see a Ken styled Bow working) The thing is, they wouldn't be marketed at the MOTU collector, they would be marketed at the Barbie collector. There is a great deal of precedent. Characters like Supergirl and Wonder Woman have had succesfull barbie dolls. Financially it seems like a good move, as Mattel has no license to buy, as they own both properties. It could also open the avenue for something along the lines of a She-Ra film in there series of Barbie films (once again, this would not be marketed toward MOTU collectors, but mainly girls and Barbie collectors) the upside of this, is it provides potential to widen the MOTU fanbase, and increase brand recognition. And if you don't like barbies, then you simply don't have to get it. Now, looking at what I THINK the original poster was getting at, a Barbie made in the MOTU style, i can't see anyone beeing interested in, MOTU or Barbie collectors, but i know plenty of people who have no interest in MOTU that would jump on a She-Ra barbie, and i don't see how bringing in new fans could ever be a bad thing.

Let's keep it friendly and constructive in here, folks! No name calling and personal attacks. The starter of this thread has as much right to talk about this as anyone else about anything else.

Thanks!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I didn't like Mo-Larr, so I didn't buy him. It's just that easy.
    Why can't people just support new characters in this line? It's not all about vintage characters!

(I'm totally kidding)
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Just a reminder once again that the thread is for discussing the character of Barbie as a Masters of the Universe Classics figure (and any of her supporting cast) NOT the creation of MOTU-themed Barbie figures. There's a difference, one topic belongs on the MOTUC forum and the other doesn't.

Please stay on topic.
    Oops, I'm sorry, I misunderstood the original question.

I think for instance 2-packs with Barbie re-decoed as a MOTUC-character (like a MOTUC She-Ra / Barbie as She-Ra) could work. I'd imagine her bio to be something light, maybe Halloweed related? Lol, I just got a vivid image of Ken as a ScareGlow in my head.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Oops, I'm sorry, I misunderstood the original question.

I think for instance 2-packs with Barbie re-decoed as a MOTUC-character (like a MOTUC She-Ra / Barbie as She-Ra) could work. I'd imagine her bio to be something light, maybe Halloweed related? Lol, I just got a vivid image of Ken as a ScareGlow in my head.

Heidi
    Oh yes, something like this. I always figured that it would be a figure that they would make a "joke" two-pack for (Like Mo-Larr and Skelly) or a convention/exclusive figure. And a lighthearted bio would probably work best too.

Quote Originally Posted by CarKrash View Post
    The original poster of this thread brought this up as a discussion piece. He's not rallying to get Barbie made ASAP.. but opened up a forum to discuss the pros and cons of a potential one off Barbie figure..

Regardless, this forum should be about what you do or do not think would work with a Barbie MOTUC, and not who is or who is not a douche.
    Thank you. I'm not on a crusade to get a Barbie figure made, nor to have MOTU fashions in Barbie. I'm merely opening this up for discussion!
    Last edited by Sandman; August 8, 2010 at 12:56pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I'm not into the Barbie crossover. I like new characters but only when they seem to really fit in (Vikor, Gygor). I personally hate crossovers. DC vs. MOTU is probably where my personal tolerance for blending properties stops. There are so many actual MOTU characters that need to be made still. I don't want any more crossovers. MOTU can stand on it's own two legs just fine in my opinion.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Heroic Warrior
    PLEASE no more crossovers !

We already got Robot Chicken's terrible Mo-Larr, and as far as I'm concerned, that's enough for a lifetime !

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    MOTUC Barbie Bio:

"During a routine liposuction and cosmetic surgery procedure, the mixture of anesthesia and the specific amount of silicone and plastic in Barbie's anatomy produces a chemical reaction that rips a dimensional portal in space and transports her to Eternia. She lands just as the two opposing forces of Eternia, Skeletor's Evil Warriors and He-Man's Heroic Warriors, are about to clash. All present immediately become enamored by her otherworldy beauty and claim her to be the epitome of physical perfection. Every Eternian clamors for her amourous attention, including Skeletor, He-Man and King Randor. This infuriates the former first ladies of Eternia, Evil-Lyn, Teela and Queen Marlena. In the dead of night, a unholy alliance is reached and a dark pact is made. The next night, at a party held in Bar-Bee's honor (her Eternian name) proclaiming her Queen Pretty, Queen Marlena slips a sleeping potion in Bar-Bee's flagon. Excusing herself, Bar-Bee retires to her quarters and extinguishes her light. At that moment, Teela, waiting outside her window, hurls an incendiary grenade imbued by Evil-Lyn's dark magic. The resulting heat was great that all traces of Bar-Bee were immediately vaporized (her high plastic content didn't help matters either). Evil-Lyn's magic emulated the readings given at Bar-Bee's arrival so Man-At-Arms concluded that she had returned home. And everyone was happy..."
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I'm not on a crusade to get a Barbie figure made, nor to have MOTU fashions in Barbie. I'm merely opening this up for discussion!
    I don't think most MOTU fans are ready for a discussion like this. They still have way too much anxiety over existing characters to accept new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull View Post
    If there's a God in Heaven...this will never happen.
    HAHAHAHA. I would never buy a Barbie-influenced figure. That's where the line is drawn.
    Brian

Photos and video of my massive collection! Click here!

Most wanted: 200x Snake Men-carded Roboto, vintage Spinnerella and Netossa. Also: Hook 'Em Flogg's weapon and Missile Armor Flipshot's backpack.

I dont think its fair to say because people dont want Barbie in MOTUC that they have problems and anxirty in general with characters. I love seeing Gygor, He-ro etc in the line but Barbie has nothing to do with MOTU. Its like me asking for a Smurf figure in MOTUC or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I dont think its fair to say because people dont want Barbie in MOTUC that they have problems and anxirty in general with characters. I love seeing Gygor, He-ro etc in the line but Barbie has nothing to do with MOTU.
    You'll notice that you have fans that flipped out over He-ro and Gygor and those are legitimate MOTU characters, let alone being comfortable about Barbie as a guest star.

Hell, fans flipped out over POP in general and the idea of Swiftwind being pink kept many a fan up at night...imagine the tossing and turning that Barbie herself will cause.

The fans not only hate new stuff--they also hate pink.

Its like me asking for a Smurf figure in MOTUC or something.
    Barbie and Bravestarr are both Mattel in-house properties--easier to do a crossover with than other properties. Like any idea, it could make for a fun addition--if done right. Make no mistake, Barbie as a MOTUC could easily go the other way and could be a terrible idea. Just like Bravestarr in MOTU. Heck, I don't think Rio Blast works, but I'm not saying that his fans shouldn't have him.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 8, 2010 at 07:19pm.

I think teela and she-ra dolls for a barbie line would be a pretty good idea for crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I have zero interest in MOTU barbie dolls though of course I dont have to buy them lol so if enough people do want them I dont see the harm.
    I agree, pretty much how I feel...it really wouldnt bother me if they did that, I just wouldn't buy it if I didn't want it. Maybe do it as some exclusive or something.
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

But that's nuts. 80 characters and that one figure derails all of that time and energy? One figure negates all of the posts, Mattycollector.com anguish, uncertainty of upcoming figures?
    This isn't simply about one figure. You throw in Barbie, then who's next?
    Ken? then Blaine? and for what? what would be the purpose of either of
    these characters transcending their line over to MOTUC?

As for a Barbie character, I'd have to see this concept. I could imagine a pretty bad-ass warrior woman, only her main color is Barbie pink.
    Why? we have a plethora of female warriors in MOTU and POP already
    yet to be realize, what does a MOTUC inspired Barbie bring to the table?
    how does it help the line?

Speaking of extremes, I think it's time to shut this thread down. We're starting to see the ugly side of fandom here. This thread is living proof of why we have protected threads. Damn...the Black He-Man thread was less hostile and that had race, sex and religion!
    IMO I think people were less hostile in the Black He-Man thread because
    until now they weren't treating the line and property like a joke. Hell, I
    could see the point with Mo-Larr and even I supported such a character
    being done in a facetious manner, but when one starts making suggestions
    concerning Barbie and Ken, there has to be line drawn somewhere.

MOTUC fans barely like NEW Masters of the Universe characters, let alone crossover characters. Going from this thread alone, few fans are relaxed enough to accept a crossover figure. "Barbie", "Bravestarr", "Adam Eternum" or whomever would be a fun figure that probably wouldn't take up any monthly slots, but folks are going into cardiac arrest over a mere mention.
    Precisely! fans can barely tolerate new characters and variants, so do you
    really think that introducing another character foreign to MOTU would be
    sound? even if it were for fun? especially one such as Barbie? At least
    Mo-Larr was unique, Barbie doesn't bring anything to the table, especially
    when MOTU is saturated with female characters more akin to Barbie.

The fans not only hate new stuff--they also hate pink.
    I don't think it's true of all fans hating Pink lol I certainly don't. Iwanted whiteSwiftwind only cos it wascloser to how I think of him but Pink in general is cool to me still.

Barbie and Bravestar would crossover better though, you're right. It seems more plausable.
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

Barbie and Bravestarr are both Mattel in-house properties--easier to do a crossover with than other properties. Like any idea, it could make for a fun addition--if done right. Make no mistake, Barbie as a MOTUC could easily go the other way and could be a terrible idea. Just like Bravestarr in MOTU. Heck, I don't think Rio Blast works, but I'm not saying that his fans shouldn't have him.
    Typically we see eye to eye on many things MGM, except maybe this

The possession of two distinct properties doesn't necessarily make it a good idea to
    merge them for absolutely no reason at all. Hasbro has both the Marvel
    license and Star Wars license, however I don't think its beneficial in either line to see
    a Luke Skywalker in Marvel Universe or Captain America in Clone Wars.

Rio Blast may not work in MOTU, I agree, he works much better in
    BraveStarr if anything, however regardless of that fact, he's still MOTU
    and because he's MOTU it doesn't matter how fans view him, he's
    surely to make an appearance. Barbie is not even remotely MOTU so
    whether or not I believe another fan should have her is irrelevant as it
    still wouldn't make her part of the line. If the notion of a crossover was
    even entertained by Mattel, then it would likely be safer to go with BraveStarr,
    even Blackstar maybe.
    Last edited by Azrael; August 8, 2010 at 07:46pm.

This isn't simply about one figure. You throw in Barbie, then who's next? Ken? then Blaine? and for what? what would be the purpose of either of these characters transcending their line over to MOTUC?

Why? we have a plethora of female warriors in MOTU and POP already yet to be realize, what does a MOTUC inspired Barbie bring to the table? how does it help the line?

Precisely! fans can barely tolerate new characters and variants, so do you
    really think that introducing another character foreign to MOTU would be
    sound? even if it were for fun? especially one such as Barbie? At least
    Mo-Larr was unique, Barbie doesn't bring anything to the table, especially
    when MOTU is saturated with female characters more akin to Barbie.
    Barbie would bring something to the table that DC vs MOTU (Comic book fans), Mo-Larr (Robot Chicken fans) and Vikor (Conan fans) can't.

The chief purpose, like Mo-Larr or DC vs MOTU, is getting outside fans interested in the product. Barbie fans introduced to the line through that figure might want to purchase the POP figures that the MOTU purists are turning up their noses at. That's the point of crossovers--to promote the line to potential new fans who wouldn't have looked at He-Man otherwise.

As shown in 1985, females do like MOTU too.

Typically we see eye to eye on many things MGM, except maybe this
    Hey...I cross swords with everyone eventually.
    There's no hard feelings though, Az.

The possession of two distinct properties doesn't necessarily make it a good idea to merge them for absolutely no reason at all. Hasbro has both the Marvel
    license and Star Wars license, however I don't think its beneficial in either line to see a Luke Skywalker in Marvel Universe or Captain America in Clone Wars.
    Hasbro isn't afraid of anything.

Rio Blast may not work in MOTU, I agree, he works much better in
    BraveStarr if anything, however regardless of that fact, he's still MOTU
    and because he's MOTU it doesn't matter how fans view him, he's
    surely to make an appearance. Barbie is not even remotely MOTU so
    whether or not I believe another fan should have her is irrelevant as it
    still wouldn't make her part of the line.
    She wouldn't be part of the line at all. She'd be a novelty character, like Mo-Larr.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 8, 2010 at 07:54pm.

Barbie would bring something to the table that DC vs MOTU (Comic book fans), Mo-Larr (Robot Chicken fans) and Vikor (Conan fans) can't.

The chief purpose, like Mo-Larr or DC vs MOTU, is getting outside fans interested in the product. Barbie fans introduced to the line through that figure might want to purchase the POP figures that the MOTU purists are turning up their noses at. That's the point of crossovers--to promote the line to potential new fans who wouldn't have looked at He-Man otherwise.

As shown in 1985, females do like MOTU too.
    Personally I don't think throwing in a Barbie character
    dramatically draw a Barbie crowd. Also, instead of worrying about
    drawing more people Mattel need to find ways of keeping those
    already in the line from leaving. Since POP contains small elements
    of barbie anyways, an actual Barbie figure would be redundant. Its
    also likely that females that enjoyed She-Ra or MOTU are now
    collecting MOTUC.

Hasbro isn't afraid of anything.
    Transformers lends itself to such a crossover especially by the
    nature of their gimmicks. You can merge Transformers with
    anything which is why I specifically stated that you don't see Captain America in the Clone Wars or vice versa. I know many 4 inch SW
    collectors would be mighty perturbed if Hasbro put a costume clad
    Marvel character in a SW legacy subline.

She wouldn't be part of the line at all. She'd be a novelty character, like Mo-Larr.
    But how many novelty characters/figures do we really need for
    a line with vast amounts of characters to go? If a novelty is
    that important then do a novelty redeco of a MOTU character (ala disco skeletor)
    And if they're going to do a novelty character of a foreign source and
    from a predominately male toyline then there's BraveStarr and Blackstar.
    Crossovers that make much more sense, crossovers that have the
    possibility of resurrecting an entirely new toyline.
    Last edited by Azrael; August 8, 2010 at 08:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Personally I don't think throwing in a Barbie character dramatically draw a Barbie crowd.
    I agree somewhat. Not dramatically, but crossovers do have more people looking at MOTU than the normal crowd.

Also, instead of worrying about drawing more people Mattel need to find ways of keeping those already in the line from leaving.
    The fans always say that, but companies always seek new fans, not selling stuff to fans who will buy the product anyway. It's why Mattel never gives the .org any exclusive reveals--we're the target audience and an instant sale anyway.

Since POP contains small elements of barbie anyways, an actual Barbie figure would be redundant.
    That's like saying that Vikor is redundant since the whole line is filled with barbarians. (And some fans do not see the appeal of Vikor)

This would be something more for outside fans to enjoy, not the fans who are already here.

Its also likely that females that enjoyed She-Ra or MOTU are now collecting MOTUC.
    Maybe. We do have fans who are only collecting the POP characters. But then POP fans are the first to say that MOTU and POP always were connected.

Be we don't constantly need a novelty character and if they're going to
    do a novelty character from a predominately male toyline then there's
    BraveStarr and Blackstar, crossovers that make sense.
    But those are crossovers that cater to existing fans. Those properties aren't around anymore and aren't going to bring in new fans the way making a novelty figure from an existing property would. Like making a Adam Eternum vs Keldor the Lost 2 pack from World of Warcraft.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 8, 2010 at 08:16pm.

[I]
    That's like saying that Vikor is redundant since the whole line is filled with barbarians. (And some fans do not see the appeal of Vikor)
    One of the central elements of MOTU is Barbarians, therefore Vikor isn't exactly redundant Again, regardless of who finds Vikor appealing isn't
    the point, as he was a concept of MOTU. In sheer looks he does add
    variety. Barbie has no connection to MOTU and she doesn't bring
    anything that none of the other POP characters can do.

This would be something more for outside fans to enjoy, not the fans who are already here.
    outside fans? I mean keeping the current fans happy is very
    important. Not to say that you can't try to appeal to outside fans,
    but adding Barbie definitely wouldn't be the solution.

But those are crossovers that cater to existing fans. Those properties aren't around anymore and aren't going to bring in new fans the way making a novelty figure from an existing property would. Like making a Adam Eternum vs Keldor the Lost 2 pack from World of Warcraft.
    At least the Adam Eternum and Keldor the Lost would make
    more sense in the world of He-Man. As I've said, I have no
    idea what Barbie can exactly accomplish that She-Ra can't
    since She-Ra is basically the MOTU Barbie. I believe you're
    just talking about drawing in those who's interest are in
    the Barbie line.

Hey...I cross swords with everyone eventually.
    There's no hard feelings though, Az.
    No hard feelings at all my friend
    Last edited by Azrael; August 8, 2010 at 08:32pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost