Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Barbie in MOTUC General Discussion

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by REX-203 View Post
    Now, I think Darkspecter has won me over to the dark side. lol

Either of those ideas are actually brilliant. Whether using one of those Barbies from the '70s (which TOTALLY look like POP characters), or naming the nameless damsel in distress something like "Barbie-ella", I don't think either of those would be far fetched to generally appeal to both audiences. Genius ideas man.

Maybe they could save this type of release for a Comic-Con Exclusive, maybe for an upcoming Barbie anniversary or something? That way no one with a Club Eternia subscription will have to get one if they don't want it.
    Exactly! I see the potential for them to be in a DC vs. MOTU kind of two pack at retail or being an extra SDCC exclusive ala Mo-Larr. Both could potentially be great for both franchises.

Retail: Barbie audiences would be picking this sucker up because Mattel would promote it on Barbiecollector.com, Mattel.com and possibly Barbie.com.

SDCC: This is more of a win for Barbie because, while we see Barbie stuff at SDCC sometimes (rarely), it could help push sales of their adult collector Barbie lines to males and maybe heard more females into MOTUC.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's like saying Mo-Larr isn't a MOTU figure and never will be...until he was. Barbie probably never will be in MOTUC, but you never know. Stranger things have happened in this line (Mo-Larr, Gygor, everyone/thing being a clone and Evil-Lyn being Pandora. ).
    Again, Gygor isn't comparable, as he was originally a MOTU concept.
    And for all intents and purposes, I think its only a minority that thinks
    of Mo-Larr as a legitimate MOTU character, if that. Using that rationale
    you can stick Optimus Prime into the line and call him MOTU

I posted a picture of her above. She's from MOTU. She's blonde, reminiscent of Barbie, is a warrior and has no name. We're not talking about making her a Barbie doll, just including Barbie in MOTUC...AS a MOTUC.
    Again, why? its utterly gratuitous.

Barbie has taken many forms. For example, in the Barbie lines, she's almost always "Barbie as." Barbie as Marilyn Monroe (before they made ones with her likeness, Barbie as Star Trek, Barbie as Agent Dana Skully from X-Files, Barbie as Wonder Woman (1999), etc.
    None of which has been in the 6 inch action figure format, again, purely
    about fashion with barbie, regardless of who they dress her up as.

Barbie-ella would be Barbie AS a MOTUC, in the same style, to fit in with the line as a cross promotion, trying to appeal to a wider audience. This is not excessive or obsolete. The bigger the fan base gets for MOTUC (Robot Chicken guys jumping aboard, Barbie fans, etc.), the better chance we have of getting more things like: movies, comics, toys at retail...the possibilities are endless.
    But what audience? The Barbie audience? You can't be all things to all
    people, throwing Barbie into the mix simply to attract a few more fans,
    if it even does that isn't necessary. MOTU is what it is, people should
    be able to take it as is.

Strong fanbases with big numbers = more products. This is a fun idea that may help with that, or at the very least (if they went with idea #2), get a cool looking female figure from 80's MOTU made.
    Thus, She-Ra and her pals come into play if you're looking for
    a cool 80's female figure, as oppose to forcing a character from
    an entirely different toyline into MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    None of which has been in the 6 inch action figure format, again, purely about fashion with barbie, regardless of who they dress her up as.
    There have been 6 inch Barbie action figures. A lot of the our Disney Princess ones, but they made a Barbie Princess one recently called Barbie Mini Kingdom. One figure actually looks like Princess Adora in a Queen Marlena type dress. I can never find pictures of that one. Here's a different one from the line though:

But what audience? The Barbie audience? You can't be all things to all
    people, throwing Barbie into the mix simply to attract a few more fans,
    if it even does that isn't necessary. MOTU is what it is, people should
    be able to take it as is.
    Mo-Larr wasn't necessary either. He and this our both fun ideas. Toys are meant to be fun. When we were kids, many played with all our toys together in one big storyline. Great cross promotion among toylines and it's fun. Not superfluous and gratuitous - fun and cross promote. The female blonde I posted is MOTU. Gygor was REJECTED MOTU. It's like how when an author dies and they go through the work they threw in the garbage and release it after they died. That's what Gygor is. I'm not saying I don't like him...because I do like him...but there's no denying he's dumpster gorilla. All of the concepts that never made it were ideas that were "garbaged." Vikor and all the other He-Man are technically superflous/gratuitous/redundant/unnecessary/uncalled for. They were all thrown out concepts for ONE character and they are all being made as separate characters. At least she actually IS a separate character who actually existed in MOTU and wasn't a thrown out idea that was polished off and regurgitated in figure form.

Thus, She-Ra and her pals come into play if you're looking for
    a cool 80's female figure, as oppose to forcing a character from
    an entirely different toyline into MOTUC.
    Azrael, that blonde IS from MOTU. Did you look at the picture I posted? Like my second idea said, she could be called Barbie-ella (like Barbarella) and have a cool warrior bio (like we get in MOTUC). Barbie in her name and her resemblence to Barbie (as she does in the comic) would be the only connection to Barbie. She wouldn't come with press on nails and a tube of lipgloss.

Those who don't like Barbie, still get an AWESOME female hero actually FROM MOTU, with a great new backstory. Barbie-ella would only be her "code name" too, so people could call her by her real name.

It's like Cover Girl from the G.I. Joe movie toyline. She's basically Barbie in G.I. Joe.

EDIT: I just wanted to say I'm not trying to fight with anyone, just explain my point of view on the topic.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 9, 2010 at 05:47am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Mo-Larr wasn't necessary either. He and this our both fun ideas. Toys are meant to be fun. When we were kids, many played with all our toys together in one big storyline. Great cross promotion among toylines and it's fun. Not superfluous and gratuitous - fun and cross promote.
    I agree, Mo-Lar wasn't necessary and he should be the exception. A nice
    novelty to those that enjoyed his notoriety for the MOTU parody. However
    this shouldn't become so customary within this line. First comes Mo-Larr,
    then barbie, followed by Ken. IMHO don't think this line requires characters
    such as these to draw people in.

The female blonde I posted is MOTU. Gygor was REJECTED MOTU. It's like how when an author dies and they go through the work they threw in the garbage and release it after they died. That's what Gygor is. I'm not saying I don't like him...because I do like him...but there's no denying he's dumpster gorilla. All of the concepts that never made it were ideas that were "garbaged." Vikor and all the other He-Man are technically superflous/gratuitous/redundant/unnecessary/uncalled for. They were all thrown out concepts for ONE character and they are all being made as separate characters. At least she actually IS a separate character who actually existed in MOTU and wasn't a thrown out idea that was polished off and regurgitated in figure form.
    I understand that blonde female you posted was MOTU Darkspecter, however that is not the character you've been advocating. You've
    been advocating for a Barbie figure done in the Classics style. Regardless
    of the initial outcomes regarding Vikor or Gygor they were still inherently
    linked to MOTU, even if they were aborted attempts. Now if this
    particular blonde had a name, unlike Vikor or Gygor then sure, throw
    her into the line I just don't see the point of placing a blonde Barbieesque
    character into the line when we have such a plethora of other cool female
    characters more worthy.

She would come with press on nails and a tube of lipgloss.

Those who don't like Barbie, still get an AWESOME female hero actually FROM MOTU, with a great new backstory. Barbie-ella would only be her "code name" too, so people could call her by her real name.
    One thing I always enjoy is your optimism Darkspecter
    I've seen you win over the toughest critic. Keep in mind I'm
    not oppose to adding a cool female character, I just don't want
    her to be a classicized Barbie, especially when we got our MOTU
    Barbie in the form of She-Ra
    Last edited by Azrael; August 9, 2010 at 05:45am.

I fully support a She Ra Barbie because I know my wife would love it.
    WTB Loose complete Tyrantisaurus Rex and Laser Light Skeletor

About the blonde...from my understanding she appeared in the MOTU comic, had speaking lines with He-Man but is un-named. That's already more info we have on half the concept characters though. Some of the ones people want most haven't been named. Like...creepy guy that has the two little creatures attached to him and simply "Evil Robot."

Oh, my. Thanks for pointing that out. That was an unfortunate miss of the "n't". That's what happens when you stay up all hours. I fixed it.

One thing I always enjoy is your optimism Darkspecter
    I've seen you win over the toughest critic. Keep in mind I'm
    not oppose to adding a cool female character, I just don't want
    her to be a classicized Barbie, especially when we got our MOTU
    Barbie in the form of She-Ra
    Thanks. Not a problem, I understand where you're coming from and completely respect your opinion.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm not against the yearly crossover SDCC exclusive character (if it IS yearly), because MOTUC DOES need to get in as many customers as possible. Sure the figures sell out, but that's because the built-in fanbase is there. Now we need to expand that fanbase until it's at Transformers levels. MOTUC can't do that by keeping isolated. Without media, it needs outside help to promote itself.

I've stopped my debate because Ben brought up a good point that I did not consider...would even a fraction of that enormous Barbie fanbase want an action figure of Barbie in the MOTUC style? No rooted hair, no cloth dress or fashion accessories? Would they even want that?

Darkspectre has taken up my argument and he shows that Barbie dolls do carry weapons. But would Barbie fans want to buy an action figure, even if it is of Barbie?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I've stopped my debate because Ben brought up a good point that I did not consider...would even a fraction of that enormous Barbie fanbase want an action figure of Barbie in the MOTUC style? No rooted hair, no cloth dress or fashion accessories? Would they even want that?
    Well, now I know that MGM has finally put me on "ignore".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I can't really see Mattel doing this since it wouldn't really work to their advantage imo. They put Barbie in different pop culture costumes in order to attract fans of that franchise(DC Comics, I Love Lucy, Addams Family, Grease) who didn't necessarily buy Barbie dolls. I doubt many Barbie fans that weren't already MOTU fans would want to buy an action figure just because it looked like Barbie.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    1971 Live Action Barbie from the Mod era would fit right in...lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ive-Action.jpg
    The Mod era Rocks! I'd totally buy a Motuc Figure who looks like that. She could be called Psychadellica tag line: Shes makes the Horde see strange new things!

*** Please be sure to remove images when quoting a post, thank you! ***

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Well, now I know that MGM has finally put me on "ignore".
    Sorry about that. I totally missed that.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Sorry about that. I totally missed that.
    I'm just kidding. My post was hardly worthy of a thesis topic anyway.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Man, I can't believe I'm entertaining this idea. I've been a yes man to many ideas all this time, now I have to draw the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Odrakir View Post
    And I tought Mo-Larr was bad... now I know where Mattel comes up with the ideas for the cross overs.
    Well, Mattel does peruse fan forums. So I'd say you're onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    I could only find this pic. I have the doll, but right now he's camera shy (aka somewhere in storage! )

--rhea http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1281309828
    Is that a doll of Jason Mmoa as Conan?

Quote Originally Posted by skelehorde View Post
    Here are some more mattel lines that we could throw in MOTUC just so more people start buying
    Dude, I'm totally camping outside of TRU for a week to be the first in Tulsa to get the He-Man/Doug two-pack with the Catdog secret accessory. I'll buy the whole stock and sell them all on Ebay! Sorry got a bit excited there and made a bit of a mess.

If we were to seriously get Barbie in MOTUC, I'd expect it to be in this fashion. It would also probably be marketed with She-Ra and possibly be a TRU two pack. The only other option I could see is a Con exclusive that has a corresponding Barbie statue like the Grayskull/Faker/He-Ro/Adam statue with the sword held aloft. That might be interesting since we'd get rapier and foils that haven't been made for any MOTU figures ever, but I'd rather get that with Captain Seahawk. I'm only saying that since we got a FILMation Shadow Beast.

If Barbie weren't a Musketeer (shouldn't she also have a gun as a Musketeer?) then she needs to be one of Songster's groupies

Quote Originally Posted by wallbie View Post

Dude, I'm totally camping outside of TRU for a week to be the first in Tulsa to get the He-Man/Doug two-pack with the Catdog secret accessory. I'll buy the whole stock and sell them all on Ebay! Sorry got a bit excited there and made a bit of a mess.
    You just reminded me that, as extensive as it was, skelehorde's Mattel list was missing Ren & Stimpy(they made a bunch of toys & plush in the 90's). I want an Orko, Ren, & Stimpy "Happy Happy, Joy Joy" box set, a Man-At-Arms/Stinky Wizzleteats 2-pack, and a Swift Wind that says "no sir, I don't like it".

JOIN THE GROUP...

Maybe Barbie is an ancient earth legend that Marlena told Adam when he was a child. Then we could have the pack-in minicomic:

"Barbie: The legend comes alive!"

(Picture the Grizzlor cover with Barbie abducting Teela instead)

Quote Originally Posted by rhea View Post
    On a side note, they could do He-man and She-Ra Barbie 2 packs. Several years ago they did a Barbie 2 pack based on historical romance novels. The Ken used a different more muscular body. I could only find this pic. I have the doll, but right now he's camera shy (aka somewhere in storage! )

--rhea http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1281309828
    I like this. A metrosexual MOTUC figure with a five-o-clock shadow and dress like a swashbuckler with swords. . . I know it is crazy, but it is engagingly new!

[QUOTE=Darkspecter;2507512] He's basically Fabio:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/...7f706941_o.jpg

While a Barbie crossover is not recommended, I do like the fact of introducing a male character like this. Call him the Master of Romance!
    Last edited by Alexxandar; August 9, 2010 at 12:00pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Oohhh good god no!

Barbie in MOTUC????

Shudders at the thought of such an abomination ever happening, and gets out of thread sharpish!

This thread still open?...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Yeah um…count me in the NO to a Barbie cross over crowd.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I want an Orko, Ren, & Stimpy "Happy Happy, Joy Joy" box set, a Man-At-Arms/Stinky Wizzleteats 2-pack, and a Swift Wind that says "no sir, I don't like it".
    Ok, why wasn't that version of Swift Wind up or the voting at SDCC? I'd so buy that!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    My own logic argument...used against me!!! I am defeated!

Gotta say this, Ben...for a no-good evil-doer, you have the most sound argument yet as to why this would be a bad idea, rather than "Ewww, it's Barbie!"
    I did what now? You're starting to listen to my lunacy as well, MGM?! Another soul has been corrupted by my insanity! Damn, I'm awesome...

Yes. Plenty, actually. Here are a few examples:

Princess of the Vikings: body armour and sword:
    Body armor (defensive wardrobe) and sword still in sheath unable to be taken out...

Athena: Goddess of War (says it all):
    I must admit that's a pretty cool incarnation but if memory serves correct that's a high dollar doll there (at least $200-$400)

All of the Muskateer Barbies (4 dolls):
    Are those rapiers or wands?

Uhura (phaser/gun):
    Phaser set permanently to "stun"...

Catwomen:
    That's off the top of my head.
    A whip?! Okay, maybe in some settings. But it's not a good idea to bring up that Halle Berry cinematic atrocity if you want to sell you point of view, D-specter. Still, I applaud you zeal but I am still not convinced that a Barbie collector would purchase a MOTUC Barbie devoid of all her trademark Barbie qualities. Even that 6" scale Barbie you showed had rooted hair and fabric clothing. I personally think it would be a dud of a product and given the non-risk taking mindset of Mattel towards MOTUC, I don't think Barbie would ever grace the MOTUC world...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I say yes. A lot of the McDonald's toys have sculpted hair. Heck, some of them don't even have articulation!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Body armor (defensive wardrobe) and sword still in sheath unable to be taken out...
    So, I guess all knights don't count? The only reason it can't be unsheathed is because it would be two pieces to tool instead of one. This saves money.

I must admit that's a pretty cool incarnation but if memory serves correct that's a high dollar doll there (at least $200-$400)
    That's true, because it's a very intricate doll which would have a high price-tag at retail, so they made her in smaller quantities at an even higher price to make sure they sell most of their product. There's 5300 of her made at $100 a piece. We pay $28.70 for 1 MOTUC before money conversions and customs for some. That's still pretty darn good for something of that detail and quality.

Are those rapiers or wands?
    Rapiers.

Phaser set permanently to "stun"...
    That would be up to the imagination of the person playing, Benny.

A whip?! Okay, maybe in some settings.
    Catwoman always uses it to swing from buildings, disarm people, or hurt them badly.

I am still not convinced that a Barbie collector would purchase a MOTUC Barbie devoid of all her trademark Barbie qualities. Even that 6" scale Barbie you showed had rooted hair and fabric clothing. I personally think it would be a dud of a product and given the non-risk taking mindset of Mattel towards MOTUC, I don't think Barbie would ever grace the MOTUC world...
    See my non-rooted hair McDonald's examples above and Christmas ornaments (disregard the pink, high-heel shoe tree. ):

Also, if they used my idea about MOTU's nameless blonde bombshell...that's a very low risk...as she is MOTU, just Barbie's namesake.

I say yes. A lot of the McDonald's toys have sculpted hair. Heck, some of them don't even have articulation!
    Yeah, but I don't think anyone truly regard these as a true Barbie figure
    or line. When one thinks of Barbie, they're usually in connection to her
    12 inch format,rooted hair, changeable clothing, Dream House, Cars etc,
    never in miniaturize format in which all the above is obsolete, so I would
    disregard these.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone truly regard these as a true Barbie figure
    or line. When one thinks of Barbie, they're usually in connection to her
    12 inch format,rooted hair, changeable clothing, Dream House, Cars etc,
    never in miniaturize format in which all the above is obsolete, so I would
    disregard these.
    I wouldn't disregard these. Barbie collectors go after these. It's just like how a lot of us collected the 200X MOTU stuff released at McDonald's. I think the best collector example for McDonald's toys is Disney stuff though. There are "Disney World" figures or something...and they go for crazy money online. I knew someone who collected these once.

I wouldn't disregard these. Barbie collectors go after these. It's just like how a lot of us collected the 200X MOTU stuff released at McDonald's. I think the best collector example for McDonald's toys is Disney stuff though. There are "Disney World" figures or something...and they go for crazy money online. I knew someone who collected these once.
    Oh I'm not doubting that Barbie fans don't or wouldn't go after these
    particular pieces. I just don't believe they truly represent what the
    actual line inculcates. As I'm sure that collectors of the McDonalds 200X
    MOTU toys wouldn't hold these in the same esteem as the actual 200X line.
    Even if they did, they still wouldn't be of that line.

Heroic Warrior

Would you collect Barbie/MOTU Tie-Ins?

Ken as Skeletor? Barbie as Sorceress? Todd and Stacie as He-Man and She-Ra? Cringer kittens and Grayskull Penthouse? Whatever the permutations of a 'Barbie' tie in, would all MOTU fans be up for adding these to their collection?