Thread: "Create A Character" Newspaper clippings

Widget

"Create A Character" Newspaper clippings

Hello all,
    I wanted to share this, if anyone actually really cares, but I thought they were pretty neat. I was going through my MOTU stuff awhile ago and came across two Sunday Comics clippings from 1985 that I must have saved. It is both the entry info and the Vote page. I have talked to Emiliano about posting them on He-man.org, but I thought I would see what you guys think. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yup fearless photog won, the kid grew up and had something to do with xbox, got hooked on drugs or something. the toy was never made or nationaly released. theres a ton more and i could be wrong on the drugs thing, try searching this site, im not sure about the rest.

Those are cool. Thanks for posting them.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Awesome stuff, Thanks shipwreak73. The guy that won was Nathan Bitner, his story is floating around the forums. He also created Cortana from the Halo games.

Here's the link for Nathan Bitner
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=Nathan+Bitner

Dr. Omega
    LOOOOOOooooooooong story short.

Nathan Bitner. He got a poloroid of a prototype that was pink and green. Never saw the figure. He did get the college money, though.

Later, he was one of the original designers of Halo. But he had money issues and was in love with a hooker he didn't sleep with. He tried to start his own software company, but eventually bailed to the Military, where he works in medical. At last word, he was in Iraq.

There was a whole year long blog on X Entertainment dealing with this, where Bitner apparently posted once. Also, the other contest winners were found on there too..

Dr. Ω
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreak73 View Post
    Hello all,
    I wanted to share this, if anyone actually really cares, but I thought they were pretty neat. I was going through my MOTU stuff awhile ago and came across two Sunday Comics clippings from 1985 that I must have saved. It is both the entry info and the Vote page. I have talked to Emiliano about posting them on He-man.org, but I thought I would see what you guys think. Enjoy.
    WOW! Thanks for posting those! BLAST FROM THE PAST!
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    Wow, I wish I would've been more into MOTU toys back then. I wonder if Matty will do anything like this going forward? Probably only IF they do a mass-market line though. (EDIT: a "successful" line is what I meant to say, ha. * crosses fingers *)

Ah... to dream.
    Last edited by KalesDad; August 8, 2010 at 03:14am.
    Great B/S/T'ers: Slayor, Blue Monkey, no_frills_inc, the80sdrummer, Super He-Man, loadzone, Troy-Klops, Son of Keldor, soundwavempl, masterenglish, Mern-Ra, and gl28141!

My .org Feedback, and My Ebay For Sale!

it would even work in the current line, and much easier to do than a mass line, wow, and some of the fan art that comes from the awsome artists on this site too! we would be in for a ride. oh, and thx skelehorde for doing a good job of providing more info.

Widget
    Thanks guys for the info. In the long run, it is too bad that Photog was never created, even though it was pretty cheesy.

Is it possible to see larger scans? I would love to read the small text!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Is it possible to see larger scans? I would love to read the small text!
    Actually, I'm just waiting for Emiliano to get back to me as to where to put these on the site and then maybe that will allow for larger views. The scanner I used is too small for the whole page, as you can tell, but I have scanned the pages various ways to try to get all the writing shown. If I can get this all on the site then maybe it can be read more easily.

Here it is... Super Sized!!!

Last edited by Captain Atkin; August 9, 2010 at 11:39pm.

I'm still astonished, that I never pieced the puzzle.

About those characters, how kids would send their own sketches, but those
    final images on the magazine are drawn by Bruce Timm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    but those final images on the magazine are drawn by Bruce Timm.
    I think you are quite right...

Brainwave in particular; the use of blacks and the Kirby-esque hand scream Bruce Timm!

Where's Emiliano when we need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    I think you are quite right...

Brainwave in particular; the use of blacks and the Kirby-esque hand scream Bruce Timm!

Where's Emiliano when we need him?
    Lee Nordling confirmed it in a Roast Gooble podcast. Otherwise I would have never guessed it.

I found this picture of my character I sent in!
    His name was "Electro" and he was a member of the Horde, cause that was the new line of villains that year. I thought making him a member of the Horde would've made him a sure "win" because everyone else was doing a stock "Skeletor-allegiance-type villain".

I used to draw the Masters characters in 3rd grade for my classmates, and when I entered this contest, I thought I had a good shot at winning.

Lo and behold, my little brother entered as well (sorry we both don't remember his character), and he receives (like 6 months later) a magnet of Teela's head and a comic that we had 3 copies of already!

And I got.... Well, I never got ANYTHING. Was I over the age limit or something? I'll have to take a look at the fine print. So I was never convinced that Mattel ever got my submitted drawing, and I am still scarred by this event! I have a not-so-buried-deep lack of trust in the post office because of this, to this day, when I send stuff out.

Also, if the Brainiac-ripoff guy was a finalist, then I am comforted that Electro would've had a good shot, if Mattel ever got my entry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

Here's one of the runner ups.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Cool find, Tallstar! How in the world do you find these articles?

Now, we must wonder what happened to Ricky Ardmore. Does he buy MOTUC? He sounds like he was an actual fan, as I recall Photog's Nathan Bitner really wasn't. Darn, if he comes out, Eye Beam may finally be made (Optikk's distant relative or something, lol).

On a side note, I googled Josett D'Ambrosi (Netta), is this her??? http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...m%2Findex.html

According to her bio, she's from Brooklyn, NY.
    Last edited by The All American; May 25, 2013 at 12:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

Now, we must wonder what happened to Ricky Ardmore. Does he buy MOTUC? He sounds like he was an actual fan, as I recall Photog's Nathan Bitner really wasn't. Darn, if he comes out, Eye Beam may finally be made (Optikk's distant relative or something, lol).

On a side note, I googled Josett D'Ambrosi (Netta), is this her??? http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...m%2Findex.html

According to her bio, she's from Brooklyn, NY.
    If so, She's quite beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    • Newspaperarchive.com
    • Google News Archive Searches
    • University Of Michigan Online Library Abstracts (Full text is unavailable to non-students, so I use names, events etc. as jumping off points)
    • Various Individual Newspaper/Magazine Archives

I hope one day we can all organize a Microfiche search club.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I wonder if Nathan Bitner was ever sent the MOTUC version of Fearless Photog

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider1227 View Post
    I wonder if Nathan Bitner was ever sent the MOTUC version of Fearless Photog
    I sure hope he did, but I think the $100,000 tuition was still pretty dang good!

These Photog threads are really inspiring me to open up my Photog fig. He's the only MOTUC character that I have MOC!

indeed. At least they made good on one part of the contest. Arguably the best part :P

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider1227 View Post
    indeed. At least they made good on one part of the contest. Arguably the best part :P
    He was Mattel's "President of the Day" if I recall from his interview. I think his family also got passes to some theme park too.

Just missed out on getting his figure immortalized in the 80's. But hey, Mattel finally made good on it. Kudos to Mattel on that.