Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe! :)

I was bummed to see there would be no pictures included...why are the Filmation rights always such a hassle!?! This type of thing would make a beautiful coffee-table book with big lavish illustrations, but no...No - let's make sure the rights are always an issue! *scowls at "The Man" who keeps causing these set-backs*

I'm guessing you probably had to make that cover-image too to avoid copyrights, right? That's why He-Man's not in front of the castle and the font isn't the typical MOTU style with the red and blue.

You know what though? You'd never tell it wasn't official art! It looks completely appropriate for the subject matter. REALLY professional work. It's a beautiful cover!

In any case, I'm not sure I'll be picking up a copy, though I was very, very tempted. I don't even own the He-man DVDs, and without the keen interest in He-Man that other forum members posess, I may find it all a bit dry.

HOWEVER - you get a She-Ra edition out? I'll be buying that baby, zero hesitation!

Congrats on getting this finished and out to the fans - I'm sure they'll all love it!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I was bummed to see there would be no pictures included...why are the Filmation rights always such a hassle!?! This type of thing would make a beautiful coffee-table book with big lavish illustrations, but no...No - let's make sure the rights are always an issue! *scowls at "The Man" who keeps causing these set-backs*
    Keep in mind this is still an unofficial fan guide, there can't be pictures, it isn't a matter of rights.

Hmmm....I get that, but still, I think back to that He-Man book they sold at SDCC last year (that was last year, right?) and it only had toy images. No one at the top ever seems to want to release a book or DVD that discusses both, encompassing every element of the MOTU world.

So I guess I'm shaking my fist at that, in particular, because even though this is the unofficial book, I'm doubting we'll ever see a big Official book with info on all things He-Man (or She-ra).

Hmmm....I get that, but still, I think back to that He-Man book they sold at SDCC last year (that was last year, right?) and it only had toy images.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm always curious on how fans see things
    Why should the Mattel book from last year should had cartoon images?
    It was a toy design book, and it was by Mattel. And we know Mattel doesn't own the Filmation cartoon. I just couldn't expect anything cartoon related from Mattel.

No one at the top ever seems to want to release a book or DVD that discusses both, encompassing every element of the MOTU world.
    The problem is: who exactly at the top?
    Filmation doesn't exist anymore.
    Mattel can't or isn't really interested in doing more books and it can only do toy related books.
    There is no one really in charge of this kind of product.
    It would be up to external authors coming up with an idea and pitch it to Mattel or Classic Media. But who's gonna do that? And is there a audience big enough for them?
    And then: will Mattel or Classic Media give the license for these books?
    I don't know about Classic Media, but so far Mattel proved very difficult to approach, even be people who have a long history with the brand.
    I don't think there is anyone you can really shake your fist at

While it won't have He-Man or She-Ra toys in it, I'm hoping this long delayed book is eventually released...

LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Have just ordered mine.
    And hopefully soon, I have it in my hands...
    Alles Orko oder was? - ...'cause Trollans are the best! - She-Raver by conviction...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Was it that I'll only need to contact you before-hand, to get a signed copy?
    That's a good question. Could I get a signed copy when I order my copy?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

quick qeustion, I ordered mine do we get some sort of confirmation that the order is received shipped etc??
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Warrior of the Inferno Brimstone's Avatar
    Just ordered it.
    My Fan-Fic projects:

Eternia: The Dark Years: Enter Eternia a world that has fallen to the hands of the Evil Horde.
    Coming Soon:Roots 2: Fear stalks Primus. (A NA sequel to Roots by Brimstone and Thew40)

My art (mostly MOTU related ) please feel free to comment.

JUST RECEIVED IT !!!!!

MAN, it's bigger than I expected!
    I flipped through the pages a bit, read some of the abandoned scripts/episodes...

Congrats James!
    Thank you for all your hard work on this project! And to all who contibuted!

- Demetris G
    (from Cyprus)

(do we get to know of sales progress? hoping for a She-ra / MYP / NA guides too, in this specific order )
    Last edited by demiscy; August 17, 2010 at 05:05am.

My pre-ordered copy also just arrived!

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

First off, THANK YOU to all of you that ordered the book!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Was it that I'll only need to contact you before-hand, to get a signed copy?
    Yeah, you'll need to request/remind me for a signature when you actually order it...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    or early character model sheets
    Even though I have much beautiful behind the scenes material (including Orko minus the hat) including images would be a legal nightmare...

Quote Originally Posted by Master Jokubas View Post
    Sounds really neat, but only 1,000 copies?
    I'd be VERY happy and pleasantly surprised if I manage to sell all 1,000 copies...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Is there a section in it for the He-Man & She-Ra Christmas special?
    Indeed there is!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I am going to be in England for a few weeks this August. I'll have to buy one and get it sent to me at my address while I'm there.
    Sounds like a plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Bring it on!!! Soooo can't wait and He-Man is in the most capable hands in the form of one Busta Toons!
    Thanks, Captain Hawkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    If sales go well with this book, will you do a She-Ra: Princess of Power, New Adventures of He-Man and an MYP one?
    I'd love to write other guides, but everything is dependant on how the sales of this book go...

You know what though? You'd never tell it wasn't official art! It looks completely appropriate for the subject matter. REALLY professional work. It's a beautiful cover!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Keep in mind this is still an unofficial fan guide, there can't be pictures, it isn't a matter of rights.
    Emiliano speaks the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    That's a good question. Could I get a signed copy when I order my copy?
    So long as you let me know when you make the purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    quick qeustion, I ordered mine do we get some sort of confirmation that the order is received shipped etc??
    I should be sending out an update this week for recent purchases!

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    JUST RECEIVED IT !!!!!
    MAN, it's bigger than I expected!
    I flipped through the pages a bit, read some of the abandoned scripts/episodes...
    Congrats James!
    Thanks, Demetris - Spread the word...

Quote Originally Posted by EuroCoin View Post
    My pre-ordered copy also just arrived!
    I saw your message on Facebook - I'm happy you also enjoyed the She-Ra sketch!

I've been thinking about buying one. Is it cheaper to pay via paypal or a credit card as far as conversion rates/fees are concerned for the US? Is the $23.60 a set price or could it be more or less depending on what I use?
    Last edited by Firefly; August 17, 2010 at 07:28pm.

Am I supposed to recieve a confirmation email that my order is in the works? I pre-ordered it some time ago and haven't really heard anything yet...

A confirmation email is sent out but dont worry if you dont get one.
    I havent received one prior to receiving it today

It was a nice surprise in the mail
    I started reading it and I CAN'T GET ENOUGH of it.
    All the info in it is very nicely composed..
    Last edited by demiscy; August 17, 2010 at 08:25pm.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I had the privilege of seeing content from the book before it was finalized, but let me say, after receiving the final product in the mail the other day: it definitely exceeds the initial expectations I had!

The book is seriously a must for any He-Man fan, especially if you love the Filmation cartoon series. The amount of data contained within, coupled by the fact that James even provides the reader with a comprehensive index at the end, makes this probably the best guide to a series I've ever read.

I plan on re-watching all 130 episodes of He-Man while reading the book. It is something I've wanted to do for awhile now and this is the perfect time to do so. I urge everyone to do the same - get the book - you will not be disappointed!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I received my nook yesterday!! I forgot it was even coming so it was an even bigger treat!!!!

Yeah this is a GREAT book. It is just PACKED full of info. I have a book like this for Transformers and for G.I.Joe and this book hold up just as well with them so bravo!!!!!!

hmmm.... i had asked you to sign the book...where is my autograph?!?!?! i wanted to make millions on this book after you die....now...sadly i will continue to have to go back work tomorrow rather than read this awesome book!
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I received the book today .... TREMENDOUS WORK ..... great book I really enjoy it. Thank you James

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I had the privilege of seeing content from the book before it was finalized, but let me say, after receiving the final product in the mail the other day: it definitely exceeds the initial expectations I had!

The book is seriously a must for any He-Man fan, especially if you love the Filmation cartoon series. The amount of data contained within, coupled by the fact that James even provides the reader with a comprehensive index at the end, makes this probably the best guide to a series I've ever read.

I plan on re-watching all 130 episodes of He-Man while reading the book. It is something I've wanted to do for awhile now and this is the perfect time to do so. I urge everyone to do the same - get the book - you will not be disappointed!
    And THAT ladies and gentlemen is why Jon Kallis is DA MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    hmmm.... i had asked you to sign the book...where is my autograph?!?!?! i wanted to make millions on this book after you die....now...sadly i will continue to have to go back work tomorrow rather than read this awesome book!
    D'oh - Apologies for forgetting to autograph the book - I had to get many orders out of the door in a timely fashion that quite a few signatures slipped my mind - Anyway, the book will be worth more without my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by eternians View Post
    I received the book today .... TREMENDOUS WORK ..... great book I really enjoy it. Thank you James
    Thank you for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I plan on re-watching all 130 episodes of He-Man while reading the book. It is something I've wanted to do for awhile now and this is the perfect time to do so.
    I plan on doing the same as Mr. Kallis!

This is truly one of the finest pieces of He-Man merchandise ever produced, and I would urge every Filmation fan to order a copy, heck, even if you don't like the classic series, there's still a wealth of information you would find fascinating!

I'm particularly enjoying the section on unmade episodes!
    "Evil can never defeat good!"
    "Don't be ridiculous, of course it can!"
    He-Man and Skeletor in 'Crack in the World'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    I plan on doing the same as Mr. Kallis!
    +1

I'm particularly enjoying the section on unmade episodes!
    +1

Also it seems that some episodes skipped me and my mind.. (I know, shame!) I read about them in the book and then rush off to my dvd player to watch them..

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    So long as you let me know when you make the purchase...
    Thanks, James! I ordered my copy and PM'd you to remind you for your Herbie Hancock. I really appreciate it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

This is truly one of the finest pieces of He-Man merchandise ever produced
    Thank you for such a wonderful comment, Martin!

and I would urge every Filmation fan to order a copy, heck, even if you don't like the classic series, there's still a wealth of information you would find fascinating!

I'm particularly enjoying the section on unmade episodes
    Yeah, those episodes paint an interesting picture of what could've been!

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    I read about them in the book and then rush off to my dvd player to watch them..
    THAT is one of the best ways to read the book - I'd recommend reading the book whilst watching something like "Ordeal in the Darklands" which as I point out originally had a very different plot...

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Thanks, James! I ordered my copy and PM'd you to remind you for your Herbie Hancock. I really appreciate it.
    It shall be done...

FACT: If you have any interest at all in the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon, you need this book!

As James says above, the book works even better when you've got the DVDs handy, ready to cross-check any of the (typically) meticulous notes throughout the entirety of the book!

The whole thing is done to an amazingly professional level and should be required reading for anyone interested in what is to this day the most successful screen interpretation of the most powerful man in the universe - which hopefully covers most people who post in this section!
    1983 Forever!

Masters Chronicles Host! Vinto-Man's Avatar
    Fantastic book and even my non he-man fan friend bought a copy of this. This is a terrific book that truly goes side by side with the Filmation cartoon.

Thank you James for the book, the nice message signed inside and all your hard work and dedication! Great book!
    Masters of the Universe Chronicles Podcast!

To listen to any show click here

To join the facebook page click here

To subscribe via Itunes click here