Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe! :)

I have a hope this will be the week!

I just ordered a copy too! I'm looking forward to it
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    hey busta i was wondering when i will be getting my copy so i coould join iin the fun
    Your book was posted on Friday, Manny - So it should arrive if not by the end of this week, then early next week!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I had an especially rough Xmas last year...so this year around that time, I'll probably be needing a pick-me-up. Don't deliver bad news!!!
    Now THAT is pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I have a hope this will be the week!
    Like Manny's, your book was also posted on the Friday - BUT as you live in Sweden it should get to you before the end of this week!

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    I just ordered a copy too! I'm looking forward to it
    Thanks for ordering!

Wow, I'll probably order this book as soon as I've got a new DVD set of the actual cartoon. This is surely a must-read!

Incidentally Busta Toons, aren't you the same guy who did all those funny He-Man parodies (like the one where Man-at-Arms "needs the weed" etc?) Whatever happened to those?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Incidentally Busta Toons, aren't you the same guy who did all those funny He-Man parodies (like the one where Man-at-Arms "needs the weed" etc?) Whatever happened to those?
    Yeah, that was me - You have a good memory on you - I made those videos a LONG time ago (maybe ten or more years) - They disappeared with most of the content of the old Episode Review Website I ran with Zadoc Angell...

Heroic Warrior
    James, I got the book a few days ago and it's fantastic! Hopefully, if things ever get squared away with Classic Media and Mattel, you'll actually be able to an OFFICIAL guide to the series (I'd love a nice big hardcover book filled with all your info along with screen caps and other images!). I hope you sell out fast and a She-Ra book will be on the way soon!

I am currently in the proces of watching all of the Filmation episodes again. This seems like a good time to grab this guide. Just ordered a copy!

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    James, I got the book a few days ago and it's fantastic! Hopefully, if things ever get squared away with Classic Media and Mattel, you'll actually be able to an OFFICIAL guide to the series (I'd love a nice big hardcover book filled with all your info along with screen caps and other images!).
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    I hope you sell out fast and a She-Ra book will be on the way soon!
    Thank you for the glowing praise!

Quote Originally Posted by KingHiss View Post
    I am currently in the proces of watching all of the Filmation episodes again. This seems like a good time to grab this guide. Just ordered a copy!
    You have made an excellent purchase!

Just bought a second copy in hope that we are closer to a SHE-RA guide

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    http://a.imageshack.us/img522/139/mockuph.jpg
    Hmmm - I'm not sure what I'd create for a She-Ra book cover...

Heroic Warrior
    Hi James. Just wanted to say the book arrived today (in CA), and I'm having a blast reading it. Any plans for a SHE-RA "sister" book, and/or a "Behind the scenes of FILMATION" book?
    I have a couple of others questions if you don't mind.
    I'm curious, at what point (or year) of He-Mans production did most of the other amercan toon factories begin sending their animation over seas? And what year did Filmation close it's doors?
    Thanks again for writting the book! Hopefully it will inspire whom ever has the rights to publish a production book ala BATMAN ANIMATED.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT. ROCK View Post
    Hi James. Just wanted to say the book arrived today (in CA), and I'm having a blast reading it.
    Yay!

Any plans for a SHE-RA "sister" book, and/or a "Behind the scenes of FILMATION" book?
    It depends on how this He-Man book sells - I'll have a good idea by the end of the year...

I have a couple of others questions if you don't mind.
    I'm curious, at what point (or year) of He-Mans production did most of the other amercan toon factories begin sending their animation over seas?
    I think it's fair to say that when He-Man and the Masters of the Universe started production (late 1982) animation studios had been sending their animation overseas for a good few years...

And what year did Filmation close it's doors?
    February 3rd 1989...

Thanks again for writting the book! Hopefully it will inspire whom ever has the rights to publish a production book ala BATMAN ANIMATED.
    Trust me, a few of us have tried to get that book of the ground (given how much Filmation production art we own), but it is a legal nightmare...

Never say never though!

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the details. As for the work being sent overseas, It drives me crazy to see all of those animator/layout end credit slates for jobs that no longer exist under one roof.
    BTW the TRIVIA section is shaping up to be my fav.
    It's a home run for a toon junkie like me!
    And since you are my best He-Man resource, any idea where can I find the series bible and good quality model sheets?
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by SGT. ROCK; September 1, 2010 at 04:27pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I ordered the book on August 20th - received August 31st in excellent condition.

For those fans still wondering, I've come up with a "top ten" checklist on whether or not you should order this book:

01 - if you browse He-Man.org
    02 - if you ever watched the show
    03 - if you know who He-Man is
    04 - if you want to learn new "behind the scenes" information
    05 - if you like Filmation
    06 - if you've viewed any of the Busta Toons blogs
    07 - if (like me) you imported the UK dvd's that contained the fan commentaries
    08 - if you like "limited edition' items
    09 - if you have some extra cash
    10 - if you can read a book

That about sums it all up

I ordered a copy today - I'm really excited to read it!

Master of the Rocky Mtns. TravNeal's Avatar
    Just Got my copy in the mail this afternoon in Colorado. Great looking book. Love that part about putting down the book if your partner wants to talk about the real world, so as not to end the relationship

My signed copy just arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    Yeah, that was me - You have a good memory on you - I made those videos a LONG time ago (maybe ten or more years) - They disappeared with most of the content of the old Episode Review Website I ran with Zadoc Angell...
    James- Although it no longer exists, i'd just like to thank you (and Zadoc) for the Episode Review Website. It was the first MOTU site I visited, and it played a huge part in helping me rediscover my love of the He-Man cartoons, not to mention leading me to He-Man.Org.

Quote Originally Posted by TravNeal View Post
    Just Got my copy in the mail this afternoon in Colorado. Great looking book. Love that part about putting down the book if your partner wants to talk about the real world, so as not to end the relationship
    Yeah, that bit was great!

BTW the TRIVIA section is shaping up to be my fav.
    It's a home run for a toon junkie like me!
    And since you are my best He-Man resource, any idea where can I find the series bible and good quality model sheets?
    I own quite a few model sheets (they occasionally pop up on my He-Man/She-Ra Blog) and Emiliano owns thousands - I think we have plans to put them on this website in time...

As for the series bible, private message me your email address and I'll send it to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger78 View Post
    01 - if you browse He-Man.org
    02 - if you ever watched the show
    03 - if you know who He-Man is
    04 - if you want to learn new "behind the scenes" information
    05 - if you like Filmation
    06 - if you've viewed any of the Busta Toons blogs
    07 - if (like me) you imported the UK dvd's that contained the fan commentaries
    08 - if you like "limited edition' items
    09 - if you have some extra cash
    10 - if you can read a book
    LOL - Those are all VERY good reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    I ordered a copy today - I'm really excited to read it!
    Thank you for ordering - I hope you enjoy it when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by TravNeal View Post
    Love that part about putting down the book if your partner wants to talk about the real world, so as not to end the relationship
    LOL - Yeah, I thought I better remind people that there's more to He-Man in life...though not much!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    My signed copy just arrived.
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    James- Although it no longer exists, i'd just like to thank you (and Zadoc) for the Episode Review Website. It was the first MOTU site I visited, and it played a huge part in helping me rediscover my love of the He-Man cartoons, not to mention leading me to He-Man.Org.
    Believe it or not, that means a LOT to mean - Thank YOU!

Excuse me but, in this case, what is "series bible" ? Is it another (e)-book ?

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Most, if not all shows, both animated and live-action, have a series bible - A series bible is written (often prior to the show, but sometimes during production) as a guideline for the writers of the series...

In the case of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe; the series bible was written by Michael Halperin - He wrote a detailed guide to Eternia as well as the origin of He-Man - Also included are character descriptions...

I completely forgot - I uploaded it to He-Man.org a LONG times ago - Here it is: http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/document.php?id=44&mid=18

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    It's a all text guide that the story editor/writers at Filmation put together to inform the production crew on things like character relationships, locations, morals and story arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    Most, if not all shows, both animated and live-action, have a series bible - A series bible is written (often prior to the show, but sometimes during production) as a guideline for the writers of the series...

In the case of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe; the series bible was written by Michael Halperin - He wrote a detailed guide to Eternia as well as the origin of He-Man - Also included are character descriptions...

I completely forgot - I uploaded it to He-Man.org a LONG times ago - Here it is: http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/document.php?id=44&mid=18

Thanks for your quick answer, Busta Toons. It's really amazing ! I will read this bible soon... Anyway, I will purchase your cartoon guide on Sunday using PayPal, when my credit card allows me

It's a all text guide that the story editor/writers at Filmation put together to inform the production crew on things like character relationships, locations, morals and story arcs.
    Thanks for your answer, SGT. ROCK. It's really amazing.

I was wondering if those newspaper strips were publicated in UK in 80's. In Brazil, I cataloged about 20 different stories in 4,5 years. Its very rare nowadays . I remember they resemble Filmation design as well...
    Last edited by Monteeg; September 3, 2010 at 02:26pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    With a quick google search I found a more easily-readable copy of the MOTU Series Bible here:
    http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...le-intro.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger78 View Post
    With a quick google search I found a more easily-readable copy of the MOTU Series Bible here:
    http://old.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...le-intro.shtml
    Thats's the old site and the scans are exacrly the same.
    Did you click on the zoom button when you open the image? You'll see the pages at the same size of the old site

hey busta i finally got my autographed book so far and i love reading the stuff i didnt know which i was looking forward to readin bout. i know i have to say i disagree w a few of your ratings to some of the eps so far but the info that intrigues most is the deleted scenes and the behind the scenes work thanks for the hard work you and plenty others seem to have put into the book, thanks very much james.
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not