[Protected thread against "Mattel's rules are stupid" arguing only. Any other arguments are fair game. For more detail, see base of post.]
I put "possible" in inverted commas because, of course, Mattel could make any & every character from the MYP cartoon if they wanted. What is "possible" or not is purely based on Mattel's self-imposed "rules", rather than legal issues as with the Filmation cartoon.
As far as I can tell, the "rules" on which MYP characters get to be made seem to be that:
1) Named characters original to the MYP cartoon who didn't get toys in the 200X run, and who have no counterpart in the vintage line(s) [e.g., Carnivus, Faceless One]
2) Characters who were originally Filmation-only, but who were recreated for the MYP cartoon [e.g. Marzo, Evil Seed]
3) Characters whose MYP versions are so radically different in design or colour scheme from the pre-200X version(s) that no amount of "stripping away" "animehyperdetail" can make an argument that they're the same design at their core [e.g. Sorceress, Evil-Lyn]
(1) is the widest grouping, and probably the hardest to distinguish between too-small-to-bother-with cameos and characters they'll get round to - but they have said some others, like Veena.
(2) is a very finite grouping (Marzo, Evil Seed... anyone else?) and will certainly be completed if the line lasts.
(3) is finite, but slightly subjective - while the "standard" MYP Marlena is different from Filmation-style Marlena, I doubt they'll do both - at most they might do a white-dress con-only version for SDCC and put the green on MattyCollector (ala colour-change Orko/standard Orko) - but the S2 "Battle Armour Marlena" design is quite possible though. For the most part, a simple compare-and-contrast could sort most of these possibilities out.
There are a small number of exceptions - MYP-based alternate heads or accessories for otherwise "vintage" figures may be included, as with Whiplash, or other "influence" may come about as with Webstor; but I'm only looking for MYP-specific figures that fit Mattel's "rules", rather than hybrids. Also, they've said they plan to do "Grayskull's Lion"/"Battle Lion", who never got a name.
So far, the following have already been released or confirmed:
- 1) King Grayskull (+upcoming variant)
- 3) Zodak
- 2) Count Marzo
- 1) Chief Carnivus
- 1) Keldor
- 1) Faceless One
The following have been specifically mentioned as "possibles" by Mattel, as far as I can tell:
- 1) Veena
- 1) "Grayskull's Lion"/"Battle Lion"
- 2) Evilseed
- 3) Young Adam
- 3) Pale Evil-Lyn ("more than just a repaint")
- 3) Sorceress
- 3) Captain Randor
- 3) Snake Armour He-Man
Now, anyone else Mattel have explicitly mentioned? And who else fits the "rules"?
EDIT: Possibles include:
- 1) Azdar (giant)
- 1) Bezdar (giant)
- 1) Bumblor
- 1) Calix [borderline]
- 1) Ceratus
- 1) Chadzar (giant)
- 1) Clawful's cousins
- 1) Dekker
- 1) Generic Snakemen (army builders)
- 1) Griffins/Gryphons (beast)
- 1) Horde Wraiths (army builders)
- 1) King Taurius
- 1) Kulatak Elder
- 1) Generic Kulataks (army builders)
- 1) "Large Mer-Man's fish" (beast)
- 1) Lord Dactys
- 1) Man-Eating-Plant-Dinos (beast)
- 1) Marzo Cat Creatures (army-builders)
- 1) "One" (bone monster, beast/giant)
- 1) Parek-Narr (beast)
- 1) Prahvus
- 1) Queen Andreeno
- 1) Serpintaurs (beast)
- 1) Slime Pit Mutant
- 1) Skeletor's bone warriors (army builders)
- 1) Sortech [borderline]
- 1) Stingrad
- 1) The Oracle
- 1) Vine Hydras (beast)
- 2) Hawke
- 2) King Miro
- 3) Ambassador Marlena
- 3) Baddrah (left in pic)
- 3) Tuvar
Further variants (i.e., secondary designs used for regular characters in the cartoon, which turned up in only one or two episodes) include:
PROTECTION - the only reason I slapped that on was that we all know by now that standard He-Man, standard Skeletor, Man at Arms and various others have been basically ruled out, so let's not start arguing over "Mattel's rules are stupid" again in this thread, huh - there's plenty of other threads to argue that over (I'm not saying they're not stupid, but let's work with them for this thread).
Otherwise, feel free to discuss as you will - in particular, actual exceptions or potential changes anyone can point out to the "rules" are welcome as long as they're based on something TG/Mattel have said, rather than something you think should be different.
Last edited by Reboot; April 22, 2011 at 01:42pm. Reason: Adding some picture links
Whilst not saying them specifically, TG did say the Tytus buck could be used for other giants (plural) in future, and the only classic one that comes to mind is Megator, so therefore the ABC giants could be a very good possibility.
I know there's been some debate, but I personally feel King Hsss' 200X look is radically different enough to warrant a figure.
New characters who had significant parts and would be demanded would be:-
Also, both Ceratus and Dekker are trademarked for Whiplash's and Man-At-Arms bios, so they could be strong possibilities, asif they've already paid for the TM, they might as well get their moneys worth!!
I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!
Standard 200X He-Man is back on the table now (only no pouch or longer hair). Only thing Mattel would much rather make He-Man variants with greater tooling like Thunder Punch or Snake Armor, before making that He-Man, which would only be a repaint with a new 200X chest harness and the Techno Sword.
Toyguru has also said that 200X King Hsss and MYP "WMD" Roboto could show up, although nothing is slated for these characters anytime soon.
- King Miro
- The three Giants
- The Oracle
What about the Oracle, I believe he's available to be made.
Does Galactus fart?
MYP possible characters :
- King Taurius
- Evil Seed
- Lord Dactys
- Slime Pit Mutant
- Captain Randor
- King Miro
- Snake Armor He-Man
- "Battle Gear" Marlena
- "Egyptian style" Sorceress
- "MYP" Evil Lyn (more than just a repaint)
- The Oracle
MYP possible large scale beasts and characters:
- Azdar (giant)
- Bezdar (giant)
- Chadzar (giant)
- Large Mer-Man's fish
Last edited by Spectror; August 9, 2010 at 08:34pm.
Characters they can make if they want:
- MYP Queen Marlena
- MYP Hawk
- Lord Dactys
- Clawful's cousins
- Queen Andreeno
- King Miro
- MYP Giants: Azdar, Belzar, and Chazdar
- MYP Gryphons
They've said they can make Marlena, in a green dress even, but who knows if they will make her in MYP battle armor or the white dress.
Two figures that I don't think they would make but can if they wanted to are Sortech and Vormus, both of whom would require unique sculpts and couldn't be made from the MOTUC buck without major deviations from the original designs.
EDIT: Dang, Spectror beat me to it.
Last edited by gbagok; August 9, 2010 at 08:37pm.
Kulatak Elder of the Kulataks
Marzo Rat Creatures
Last edited by Coptur; August 10, 2010 at 04:13am. Reason: Rat not cat
I want the following characters:
POWERS of GRAYSKULL
TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
-SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
-QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
-BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
-METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID
2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
-Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove
The S2 red/blue "Battle Armour Marlena" design, OTOH, is as different from Filmation Marlena as MYP Randor, Sorceress & Evil-Lyn are from their vintage toy counterparts. For a MYP-inspired Marlena "refresh", that seems a far better bet.
Council of Elders
The Andreenid Queen (Council of Good)
This Centaur Guy
Tuvar and Baddhra
Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 9, 2010 at 09:27pm.
What episode did the "The Siren" appear? I don't remember her!
I will buy any and all MYP characters, by the way.
Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!
You forgot the yak Guy who is in that picture. King Taurus I think?
EDIT: Doh, I see he was listed. You guys are good! LOL
Where the red dragons of the MYP ever giving a name?
*** Please be sure to remove images when quoting a post, thank you! ***
Bring on Hawke!
Planet Claire has pink air
All the trees are red
No one ever dies there
No one has a headThe B-52's
Who's Vormus, are there any pics?
Does Galactus fart?
I don't see anyone mentioning Ice Armor He-Man yet. I'd rather see Snake Armor He-Man first, but I know some people would really want the Ice Armor look.
Nothing represents more the unexplainable vacuousness of the human race, than the unfounded and arrogant blind faith in the ruthless and narcissistic transcendence of itself.
Wish list; http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=166721
I'm glad they seem to be actively making 200X characters. It just means "new" figures. I like that
Veena has to be a given. I wonder if they will do something like a Veena figure that has some 200X Sorceress detailing, but not all of it, and comes with the 200X Sorceress head as a bonus. It would be a great way to sell 2 to people, and another great way to get the reinterpreted vintage version of the 200X Sorceress without using up another slot.
A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Prahvus, Ceratus, King Chuboolu, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
At the moment I can only think of the following additional people:
- Young Teela (to go with Young Adam, if they make him. Young Adam and older Teela wouldn't look right. )
- Young Evil-Lyn with dress, white hair and tiara (that's how she looked during the time of Keldor...who we got...and Kronis)
- Human Sorceress (when she fights Prahvus)
- Sorceress' husband/Teela's daddy (bandaged up and broken arm)
Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.
You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!