Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 011 & 012 Discussion! (podcast 2-pack!)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I never saw pictures of the peeps dressed up like masters like val talked about or to but I did see a picture of a guy dressed up like man-at-arms.

Haven't listened to #12 yet but I will.
    UPDATE:
    Stumbled on to the pictures. Looking at them right now.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    I still dislike Bow. I'm on Eamon's side full throttle. Nothing says non-fierce and non-warrior like gold, hearts, and harps.

Best part was talking to the Horsemen and people at Mattel.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Ok, I get it... I don't agree...

BUT

Can't you appreciate that Bow figure anyway? I mean, you don't have to like it as part of MOTUC. You don't even have to keep the Bow figure, but he is still a great figure.

And he doesn't have a "harp." He has a guitar, and it's an homage to the cartoon. They live in a forest. I'd get bored.

Also, Eamon full-on made a point of commenting on Roboto's "heart." He loves it on that figure, but not on Bow? So, ok, the heart isn't a symbol of strength? Do you know how many family crests from medieval times had hearts on them?

The only reason people think of hearts as girly, if they do, is because of recent 20th century things like Valentine's Day and Care Bears. But then, those things aren't really "girly," they are just icons that illicit emotion.

The 4H actually threw you a bone with the ability to REMOVE THE HEART. It can be a circle instead. You can throw the guitar and heart away. Is the figure still a bad figure? Nawww

And why is gold now something not fierce and strong? That I can't understand.
    I don't get it. No one is going to think less of anyone if he happens to think Bow is cool! In fact, from the sound of the reactions at SDCC, most people, even the Marvel Panel interlopers (lol) thought he was awesome.

And heaven forbid the non-mustachioed face looks effeminate. Who cares? Effeminate doesn't automatically equal weak. I think he looks handsome. His crown is cool. It's elfish... I would NOT be surprised if Mattel made Bow some kind of Elf guy...

Eamon's comments about "what a guy should be" within the context of a swords/sorcery/fighting mythos are just limited. Not everyone has the same opinion about that. But this argument comes up every time someone's definition of masculinity is questioned. It's immature, and I'm done with it. It isn't wise to say that because a male character doesn't fit into a certain archetype that you deem appropriate or valid that he shouldn't exist in the mythos.

Oh, and here are some other Flamboyant figures: Rio Blast, Roboto (the Rainbow flavored robot), Buzz Off (a bumble bee man with bright yellow wings), Man-E-Faces (how many bright colors does he have on his outfit? and he's an actor, so, you know, he MUST be a flamboyant character anyway), Scareglow (a glow in the dark skeleton in a big Wicked Queen Cape with a bright green axe?), Sy-Klone (a walking discoteque), & KELDOR?!!? (drama queen much?). These guys are a crayola crayon box by themselves!!! MOTU is all totally garish and flamboyant... it's great.
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 13, 2010 at 12:19am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Ok, We get it, you, and Eamon and a couple other guys don't think anything other than the vintage MOTU really fit with the swords & sorcery thing.

BUT

Can't you appreciate that Bow figure anyway? I mean, you don't have to like it as part of MOTUC. You don't even have to keep the Bow figure, but he is still a great figure.

And he doesn't have a HARP. He has a guitar, and it's an homage to the cartoon.

Also, Eamon full-on made a point of commenting on Roboto's "heart." He loves it on that figure, but not on Bow? So, ok, the heart isn't a symbol of strength? Do you know how many family crests from medieval times had hearts on them?

The only reason people think of hearts as girly, if they do, is because of recent 20th century things like Valentine's Day and Care Bears.

The 4H actually threw you a bone with the ability to REMOVE THE HEART. It can be a circle instead. You can throw the guitar and heart away. Is the figure still bad?

And since when is gold now something not fierce and strong? That I can't understand.

I just don't get it. No one is going to think less of you or anyone else if you happen to think Bow is cool!

God forbid the non-mustachioed face looks effeminate. And I'm sorry, but the comments about "what a guy should be" are just limited. But this argument comes up every time someone's definition of masculinity is tested. It's immature, and I'm done with it.
    I don't think he is cool. At all.

But yes, I will say that I'm impressed with how the Horsemen made him "more manly" to use their terms. And yes, the sculpt is great, of course. If you look at what they did to him in comparison to the vintage figure, they worked a minor miracle. And Eamon is right: that stache-less head is way too effeminate. That's my problem with He-Ro as well, as he looks a little too much like a Backstreet Boy or John Cena in the hair and face instead of a vintage-esque Masters figure.

But, needless to say, all of the sculpts are great, including Bow and He-Ro. I think the lamest figure is actually Zodak, but that was just a repaint. He should have had a different sculpted head.

Oh, and I think there are more than "a couple" guys who feel the way Eamon and I do.
    Last edited by RockinHard; August 13, 2010 at 12:13am.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

I do appreciate your willingness to look at the positive aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Oh, and I think there are more than "a couple" guys who feel the way Eamon and I do.

I have to disagree. All I've read and heard from videos and podcasts is how cool everyone thinks he is. I think I've read maybe 4 posts about how he isn't.

I'll put up a poll. I don't mean that in a nasty way... I am just curious.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I do appreciate your willingness to look at the positive aspects.

I have to disagree. All I've read and heard from videos and podcasts is how cool everyone thinks he is. I think I've read maybe 4 posts about how he isn't.

I think a lot of that is surprise at how good he turned out.

There are a lot of guys not collecting POP for said reasons. And they don't all post here, for sure.

And I hate to break it to you bcrduke, but a lot of guys (maybe not on this site) would look at Bow (particularly the 'stache-less head) and He-Ro and think they look a little effeminate. You can call it limited, but it's the truth.
    Last edited by RockinHard; August 13, 2010 at 12:32am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I still dislike Bow. I'm on Eamon's side full throttle. Nothing says non-fierce and non-warrior like gold, hearts, and harps.

Best part was talking to the Horsemen and people at Mattel.
    I also don't really understand this way of thinking. If you just don't have a childhood connection to the She-Ra characters or you just don't appreciate the overall Classics line and prefer to just pick up updated vintage Masters or 200x Masters, I can understand that. But when people start trying to rationalize their narrow interest as "he doesn't look fierce and warrior like" I call bull.

Take Roboto for instance. I LOVE Roboto but you can't tell me he looks fierce and warrior-like. He is a primary colored robot with primary colored gears that you can watch turn inside his clear torso. That sounds like a Playschool toy that I'd buy for a 2 year old. And Buzz-Off is a big smiling bumble bee. So very slightly more fierce and warrior like than Roboto but really, it's a bee.

Now I'll give you that SOME of the vintage Masters based figures do look fierce and warrior-like such as Vikor and even the Royal Guards to an extent. But if that is going to be the decision factor on what figures you support or not, I'm gonna have to think you'll be passing on a good third of the vintage Masters based figures as well as the POP and many NA like the effeminate looking NA He-Man himself.

And back on topic, loved the podcasts once again! Val, you are a natural at interviewing and moderating discussion. I could listen to one of these everyday.

Ep11:
    Another great podcast Val!
    It really made me want to be there next year.

Ep12:
    Downloading now...
    "I find the movie "Annie" totally unbelievable. Given the option, who would adopt a ranga?"

Mean-Girls.org
    Are you a "Plastic"?

Treat your customers with respect, NO MORE PAINTED BLACK PLASTIC MATTEL!!

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    I think I was the only one whose "segment" was edited
    LOL!
    Nah, it wasn't edited.
    We recorded a 2nd piece, but upon hearing it again, I didn't use it.
    I tried to salvage it, but I couldn't.

He's right. There's more than just a couple guys who don't like Bow.
    But it's all good. There's folks who like and dislike each of the figures.

I think it's a situation where more folks walked away impressed than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Oz-Scott View Post
    It really made me want to be there next year.
    You better be!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    You better be!

I have 2 mates interested in going too, so I guess we'll have to hurry and decide soon!
    It'd be a dream come true to attend a big MotU geek out!
    "I find the movie "Annie" totally unbelievable. Given the option, who would adopt a ranga?"

Mean-Girls.org
    Are you a "Plastic"?

Treat your customers with respect, NO MORE PAINTED BLACK PLASTIC MATTEL!!

Listening to Episode 11 right now.

ha! Wasn't there a picture many years ago of Emiliano holding on for dear life on a Roller Coaster?

Poor guy. I'm the same way about flying though. When I was younger I used to never really think about it, but now it's just anxiety producing. I hate turbulence and when the lights sometimes flicker at night. I'd rather drive.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I have problems with Bow too.
    The only reason i΄ll give Bow a chance, is because i hope you can put him in a cool archer pose with this new wrists.
    Im in for Vikor!!! Hey im a Frazetta Fan and love the Dark Fantasy, its obviously Bow will have a tough time with me.
    He΄ll get a chance anyway

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I don't mind BOW having a heart on his chest. I just don't like it being a big red heart. I would prefer to have seen it be gold. I will probably just end up painting it gold once I have him.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    And he doesn't have a "harp." He has a guitar, and it's an homage to the cartoon. They live in a forest. I'd get bored.
    The "harp" is because he's a bard. He tells stories and woos women as a dashing swashbuckler, which is the character's gimmick.

The only reason people think of hearts as girly, if they do, is because of recent 20th century things like Valentine's Day and Care Bears. But then, those things aren't really "girly," they are just icons that illicit emotion.

The 4H actually threw you a bone with the ability to REMOVE THE HEART. It can be a circle instead. You can throw the guitar and heart away. Is the figure still a bad figure? Nawww
    The fact that you could even remove the heart is a nod to fans who think that Bow is a girly character.

And why is gold now something not fierce and strong? That I can't understand. I don't get it. No one is going to think less of anyone if he happens to think Bow is cool! In fact, from the sound of the reactions at SDCC, most people, even the Marvel Panel interlopers (lol) thought he was awesome.
    Jitsu is wearing gold too. Thanos has a gold and blue costume and he killed half the Marvel universe. So does Iron Man. Balder. Loki. Molten Man. Booster Gold. LOL, only with MOTU do we get such arguments...

And heaven forbid the non-mustachioed face looks effeminate. Who cares? Effeminate doesn't automatically equal weak. I think he looks handsome. His crown is cool. It's elfish... I would NOT be surprised if Mattel made Bow some kind of Elf guy...
    Bow is supposed to be a ladies man. He isn't going to be ugly or too rugged.

Eamon's comments about "what a guy should be" within the context of a swords/sorcery/fighting mythos are just limited. Not everyone has the same opinion about that. But this argument comes up every time someone's definition of masculinity is questioned. It's immature, and I'm done with it. It isn't wise to say that because a male character doesn't fit into a certain archetype that you deem appropriate or valid that he shouldn't exist in the mythos.
    LOL. I can imagine if we were to get a Legolas-esque character in MOTUC. Instead of an ass-kicking elf, we'd get fans who'd be so preoccupied with being based on a heartthrob.

Oh, and here are some other Flamboyant figures: Rio Blast, Roboto (the Rainbow flavored robot), Buzz Off (a bumble bee man with bright yellow wings), Man-E-Faces (how many bright colors does he have on his outfit? and he's an actor, so, you know, he MUST be a flamboyant character anyway), Scareglow (a glow in the dark skeleton in a big Wicked Queen Cape with a bright green axe?), Sy-Klone (a walking discoteque), & KELDOR?!!? (drama queen much?). These guys are a crayola crayon box by themselves!!! MOTU is all totally garish and flamboyant... it's great.
    Nah, those are classic MOTU figures. They automatically get a pass. Fans complain about Gygor, but Sy-Klone is okay? It's a definite double standard.

Y'know...Eamon likes Fisto. And as a character, Fisto is about the most opposite of Bow that you could get. While Bow is trying to woo some young woman with his "harp" and silver tongue, Fisto is getting drunk and in barfights. While Bow's fighting style could be like Errol Flynn-like, graceful and perhaps acrobatic, Fisto gets down and dirty.

Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 13, 2010 at 10:25am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Jitsu is wearing gold too. Thanos has a gold and blue costume and he killed half the Marvel universe...Loki...Molten Man. LOL, only with MOTU do we get such arguments...
    Tread carefully, MGM, when you have the name of villains on your lips (or fingertips in this case). A heroic personage such as yourself shouldn't handle the names of such vile individuals so lightly. Throwing their names around at whim may seem like sacrilege to my compatriots...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Tread carefully, MGM, when you have the name of villains on your lips (or fingertips in this case). A heroic personage such as yourself shouldn't handle the names of such vile individuals so lightly. Throwing their names around at whim may seem like sacrilege to my compatriots...
    But that's my point...mad bad ass characters wear gold!

Pink is taboo, now gold...what's next, white?

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Pink is taboo, now gold...what's next, white?
    I think the problem is that Bow is not showing near enough skin. Take off his pants, give him a skimpier harness and just cover his junk with some animal skins and the real man in him will rise to the surface.

Just listened to ep11 - the whole fear of flying bit was hilarious - poor old Emiliano.

'What do you think this recorder is going to do to the plane?'
    'I have no idea that's why I don't want to use it...'

Genius.

Going to download ep12 to listen to tomorrow

bcrduke dude you are insinuating some things that I not quite comfortable with.
    Please show me where I said the words "what a guy should be"?
    Especially as this topic has been well covered.
    You feel you know more than I do about sword and sorcery. I mean, what could possibly know about the genre of sword and sorcery right?!

Allow me to ask you two very simple questions.
    Etheria is ruled with an iron fist by Hordak and the locals are either enslaved or downtrodden or killed.

Bo is part of a rebellion yet he still wears lots and lots of gold.
    A) How can he afford this given the fact that they are in a rebellion, don't they need weapons?
    B) Don't you think that this gold would be better spent on helping the locals or is good fashion more important that helping the poor and destitute?

The character has to make sence to the world he is in. To me Bo does not fit in.

He-Ro is a cosmic warrior so he can wear what he wants, Jitsu is evil and Iron Man is a millionaire.

Bo is fighting in a rebelion.
    But hey if folks feel that it's ok to wear lots of gold while folks are dying of starvation, then have at it!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    You feel you know more than I do about sword and sorcery. I mean, what could possibly know about the genre of sword and sorcery right?!

Etheria is ruled with an iron fist by Hordak and the locals are either enslaved or downtrodden or killed.

A) How can he afford this given the fact that they are in a rebellion, don't they need weapons?
    B) Don't you think that this gold would be better spent on helping the locals or is good fashion more important that helping the poor and destitute?

The character has to make sence to the world he is in. To me Bo does not fit in.

He-Ro is a cosmic warrior so he can wear what he wants, Jitsu is evil and Iron Man is a millionaire.

But hey if folks feel that it's ok to wear lots of gold while folks are dying of starvation, then have at it!
    Well said.

Though I will add that He-Ro looks a lot different in his gold than Jitsu and Iron Man.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

Yeah, It hink everyone has taken the "gold" part the wrong way. It not that wearing gold look flamboyent or silly. It's what Eamon said above.

However, with that being said, I still don't mind it. Becuase I have always been a fan of Bow, and am very happy with this new figure.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Hey Dan, I'm getting a poll on me (which is in no way offensive or even weird)!

Where your poll looser?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Correction, sir. More bad ass villains wear gold...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

In POP, most of the heroes of the Rebellion are queens and rulers. The leader of the Rebellion is Queen Angella. Who is to say that Bow isn't some kind of a ruler himself or perhaps that maybe as one of her chosen champions, that Queen Angella has given him some good equipment from the castle treasury? For all we know, it could be similar to Madmartigan from Willow--epic swordsman starts out looking like a bum, hooks up with the right people and gets himself some spiffy leather armor as he battles the Queen who rules the land.

In POP, most of the heroes of the Rebellion are queens and rulers. The leader of the Rebellion is Queen Angella. Who is to say that Bow isn't some kind of a ruler himself or perhaps that maybe as one of her chosen champions, that Queen Angella has given him some good equipment from the castle treasury? For all we know, it could be similar to Madmartigan from Willow--epic swordsman starts out looking like a bum, hooks up with the right people and gets himself some spiffy leather armor as he battles the Queen who rules the land.
    Good example. I love that film!