Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 011 & 012 Discussion! (podcast 2-pack!)

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    And he doesn't have a "harp." He has a guitar, and it's an homage to the cartoon.

OK bcrduke, breath... It's a harp. It looks and is shaped like a harp. Not a guitar. anyway, it doesn't matter. it's a cool accessory.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

When I try the direct link for episode 12 it plays the same as episode 11. My player says 12, but the episode playing is episode 11... Anybody else run into this issue?
    Last edited by Zargon; August 13, 2010 at 02:38pm.

This isn't a problem, BUT just to be safe,
    let's not turn this Bow discussion into a heated debate.

He's rockin' the gold.
    Ya likes it or ya don'ts.
    It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    When I try the direct link for episode 12 it plays the same as episode 11. My player says 12, but the episode playing is episode 12... Anybody else run into this issue?
    Weird.
    I just tested the links on my end, and they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In POP, most of the heroes of the Rebellion are queens and rulers. The leader of the Rebellion is Queen Angella. Who is to say that Bow isn't some kind of a ruler himself or perhaps that maybe as one of her chosen champions, that Queen Angella has given him some good equipment from the castle treasury? For all we know, it could be similar to Madmartigan from Willow--epic swordsman starts out looking like a bum, hooks up with the right people and gets himself some spiffy leather armor as he battles the Queen who rules the land.
    He is still wearing way more gold than Madmartigan in Willow.

Bo is an active and constant part of a rebellion against inslavement.
    Bo's bow is gold as are his arrows (very wasteful) and the bag and his harp.

The SDCC line up consisted of very vicious looking charcaters and creatures.
    So we have this great Shadow Beast with his spiked club, royal guards with their axes and lances and there's Bo with his harp and his oh so spiffy golden gear!

For me personally, tis a hard sell. For others it's not. Each to their own.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    He is still wearing way more gold than Madmartigan in Willow.

Bo is an active and constant part of a rebellion against inslavement.
    Bo's bow is gold as are his arrows (very wasteful) and the bag and his harp.

The SDCC line up consisted of very vicious looking charcaters and creatures.
    So we have this great Shadow Beast with his spiked club, royal guards with their axes and lances and there's Bo with his harp and his oh so spiffy golden gear!

For me personally, tis a hard sell. For others it's not. Each to their own.
    You didn't address the fact that the main warriors in the Great Rebellion are mostly royalty. POP isn't Robin Hood. The Rebel leaders aren't grimmy warriors with bad teeth and ragged clothing living under trees in the woods.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Bow may simply have rich parents?

The character has to make sence to the world he is in.
    Exactly. Gold may not have the same value on Etheria as it does on Earth. It is valuable here because we have to dig it out in mines. But, in a world with so many wizards and magicians around, they could just be turning mud into gold at every corner. It may be just cheap jewelry to them?

B) Don't you think that this gold would be better spent on helping the locals or is good fashion more important that helping the poor and destitute?

Bo is fighting in a rebelion.
    But hey if folks feel that it's ok to wear lots of gold while folks are dying of starvation, then have at it!
    And how exactly would his gold help the poor? Can the poor eat gold? I don't think so. So what should he do? Sell it to the Horde? They are probably the only ones on Etheria who could afford it. But, would they buy it from Bow? Or would they just kill him and take it, like they do every day. or should he sell it to some black marketeer. That would be so noble, engage in shady business, help the Evil Horde regime for the sake of a few meals.

And even if he would sell it, what would he do with the money? Buy food for the poor or weapons for the Rebellion? Where would he do that? Who has the food and weapons? The Horde. And they would gladly sell it to Bow?

Or, should they invest in resources to open some portal so he can go to another world and do his business ventures. Wouldn't they be better off using those resources for fighting?

Bow is just fine with his gold...

You didn't address the fact that the main warriors in the Great Rebellion are mostly royalty. POP isn't Robin Hood. The Rebel leaders aren't grimmy warriors with bad teeth and ragged clothing living under trees in the woods.
    Didn't feel the need to as none of em wear gold!
    So even the royality in Etheria don't wear as much gold and yet there's Bo... who isn't Royal.

Edit: Ivan, as far as I am aware gold is still a currancy in Etheria and if you don't see that it's a bit questionable to be wearing so much gold around starving natives, then we have a very different way of looking at things. Yes, gold would help the locals. Probably a lot.
    www.eamonart.com

Edit: Ivan, as far as I am aware gold is still a currancy in Etheria and if you don't see that it's a bit questionable to be wearing so much gold around starving natives, then we have a very different way of looking at things. Yes, gold would help the locals. Probably a lot.
    OK, maybe. But, what would help them more - receiving some gold to buy stuff, or having a handsome Bow loaded with gold to boost the morale off all those women warriors in the rebellion?

Didn't feel the need to as none of em wear gold!
    So even the royality in Etheria don't wear as much gold and yet there's Bo... who isn't Royal.
    But they are wearing royal clothing and spandex-like materials while the townsfolk aren't.

To my knowledge, Bow doesn't have much of a background. For all we know, he COULD be royalty or a noble of some kind.

Is this one of those double standards where we have to suddenly explain something that's been around for almost 30 years?
    I've got no problem with this so long as we do vintage MOTU characters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    OK, maybe. But, what would help them more - receiving some gold to buy stuff, or having a handsome Bow loaded with gold to boost the morale off all those women warriors in the rebellion?
    mmm...Bo boosting the morale of the women.....I guess it could happen!!

Would diamonds be better?!
    www.eamonart.com

So if all of Bow's gold parts were painted yellow or maybe a dark gun metal color and he lost the harp, would he fit into your world just fine? It seems like such a minor issue to discount a while character due to the color of his boots, weapon and harness especially with all of the crazy colors and designs of the vintage Masters. Are there any vintage Masters that violate the rules of the world in your head?

That we know of. To my knowledge, Bow doesn't have much of a background. For all we know, he COULD be royalty or a noble of some kind.
    It's not fair to debate with conjecture and mere speculation.
    We can only go on what we know for sure so far.

Is this one of those double standards where we have to explain something that's been around for almost 30 years?
    Bo hasn't been in MOTU for 30 years.
    His original figure did not have the trademark battle stance which is part of the MOTU identity. Bo was not designed for combat unlike MOTU characters!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    So if all of Bow's gold parts were painted yellow or maybe a dark gun metal color and he lost the harp, would he fit into your world just fine? It seems like such a minor issue to discount a while character due to the color of his boots, weapon and harness especially with all of the crazy colors and designs of the vintage Masters. Are there any vintage Masters that violate the rules of the world in your head?
    I said I really like his head skulpt!
    I haven't said I'm gonna burn my figure at the stake or anything!
    Last edited by Eamon; August 13, 2010 at 02:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    This isn't a problem, BUT just to be safe,
    let's not turn this Bow discussion into a heated debate.

He's rockin' the gold.
    Ya likes it or ya don'ts.
    It's all good.

Weird.
    I just tested the links on my end, and they work fine.
    Thanks. Just tried them again and discovered that I must have listened to 12 first and thought that I was listening to 11...

Bo hasn't been in MOTU for 30 years.
    Bow has been in MOTU for 30 years since he was in Filmation. POP IS part of MOTU, it's cartoon is seen as a continuation of it. But if you're talking about the original toyline, then yes, I'd agree with the point that you make below about the original figure.

His original figure did not have the trademark battle stance which is part of the MOTU identity. Bo was not designed for combat unlike MOTU characters!
    But MOTUC Bow isn't Bow from the original POP toyline. As for combat, he's a built guy firing a bow at you. How is that more different than Sy-Klone or Extendar, both of whom don't even have real melee weapons, but a shield? Hell, look at Stratos.

Are you seeing the new improved version of the character as the old version of the character?

Because he was a man figure for girls and that's why his color scheme is what it is. Yes it might not be storywise correct, but it's cool they don't change the overal look of figure because of it.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Because he was a man figure for girls and that's why his color scheme is what it is. Yes it might not be storywise correct, but it's cool they don't change the overal look of figure because of it.
    This a derivative of the "Everyone with the same clothing and body parts makes no sense" argument that 200X fans have been making for years. We start changing things to "make sense" then we could lose the classic character, which I don't think anyone wants to happen to their favorite characters.

We start questioning POP characters iconic looks, we might as well start questioning EVERYONE's looks. Except for one segment of the fanbase, no one wants to go down that road.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 13, 2010 at 03:13pm.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    So...uh....HOW ABOUT THAT ROBOTO? HE'S COOL!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Yes he is sir!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

nice diversion dan - this bow talk is old! ... personally, i don't like him - but i don't like POP, so it goes without say'n ... but - i give full respect to those that do, because i know how excited i get when they release a figure i love, so credit to you all ...

i'm so pleased that roboto is coming with working gears - when motuc first came to fruition, i remember the ''there will be no action features'' statement from mattel (not word for word, i don't want to mis-quote anyone - but you know what i'm say'n) and, well - this is an action-feature, isnt it? ...

roboto looks amazing, and he reminds me so so much of the classic toy i had as a kid!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    roboto looks amazing, and he reminds me so so much of the classic toy i had as a kid!
    He damn near is the classic toy you had as a kid.

Ehhhhh....he's good if you like the original Roboto...aside from articulation, this one is almost no different from the one in my basement. Some fans want carbon copies of the original figures, but I hope for some new version of the character--either a mix of vintage and 200X or a vintage character with some new feature.

However, I do like the new hand. I hope Toyguru can make his other hand replaceable as well.

It's good that Trap Jaw will make use of Roboto parts in the Great Wars Weapons Pak. But does Roboto really need Trap Jaw parts? Roboto's parts are better...better gun, better claw, better meleee weapon too.

Some fans want carbon copies of the original figures
    right here!!

if it was cheaper to collect the vintage figures and if they were easier to get hold of in good/complete condition - i would collect the vintage line (i sort of do, but only certain ones - i will collect them all one day ... maybe!?) ... but - motuc offers me the chance to get all the figures i loved as a kid in super-cool modern form! ... so, i want them as close to 'classic' as possible ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Roboto's parts are better...better gun, better claw, better meleee weapon too.
    Really? How so?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Really? How so?
    It's like comparing Robocop to Frankenstein's Monster.

Roboto's double barreled gun, vs Trap Jaw's single barreled gun.
    Roboto's thicker, robotic claw vs Trap Jaw's more mechanical, blacksmithed claw.
    Roboto's axe vs Trap Jaw's hook.

So Eamon.
    My good man, you and I see MotU in a very similar light I'd reckon having known you for a few years now.

What would you think of the Bow figure, not the character, just the figure itself, if it were painted differently? (removing much of the cursed gold.)

What do you think of some of the art nouveau styling on him?

Loved the gooblin' folks! Very tasty couple of episodes. I particularly enjoyed hearing Val getting more and more inebriated as the interviews went on.

Vikor and Battle Ram are the BOMBS of SDCC. Nothing topped them, nothing at all.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It's like comparing Robocop to Frankenstein's Monster.

Roboto's double barreled gun, vs Trap Jaw's single barreled gun.
    Roboto's thicker, robotic claw vs Trap Jaw's more mechanical, blacksmithed claw.
    Roboto's axe vs Trap Jaw's hook.
    Trap Jaw's gun has a telescopic sight which is better for long range sniping and accuracy.

Trap Jaw's claw may be smaller but it's more agile and hence faster than Roboto's clumsy slower and heavier claw.

Axe vs. hook is just preferential.

But you're right...Frankenstein's Monster would totally kick Robocop's robotic donkey.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!